The Navy's Rail Gun Project just got real.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
and thats just the shit that they reveal to the public......imagine what the fuck they have that they are not showing us.

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor
and thats just the shit that they reveal to the public......imagine what the fuck they have that they are not showing us.

Exactly, wait until the new monetary system kicks in, the military will be looking like GI Joe for real.

cwild

Star
Registered

cot damn overkill

they aint playing around, terrorist might wanna let it go, aint no winning against shit like that

Lucky7s

Negritude...do you have it muthafucka?
Registered
Did he just say that shit will travel 60 miles or AT 60mph?

Rukus

Star
Registered
damn I need to do more research on that system... I wonder if it will take the place of the CIWS...

and he said 60 miles... it travels twice the speed of a regular bullet...

maddcat

Star
Registered
NOT ALL THAT IMPRESSED. CIWS will be around for a while yet. the more interesting tech is gonna be in targeting. the cool thing about the gun though is the fact that no propellant is used. still it would be better to build schools rather than make share holders wealthy.

MasterKey

Support BGOL
Registered
damn I need to do more research on that system... I wonder if it will take the place of the CIWS...

and he said 60 miles... it travels twice the speed of a regular bullet...

I don't know. I don't know what type of late detect that system is capable off. When something pops up off the horizon you don't have much time to react. Now with anti ship missles being supersonic will that thing be able to find, then track and engage and fire off in time? CIWS has all of that combined into 1 unit and can operate without somebody on the console. I'm sure they will find a way to make it operate in all modes, but taking CIWS/RAM type systems off the ship maybe longer off.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
the (made-up)guns in this movie were portable versions

Eraser.jpg

800px-EraserEM-Railgun-4.jpg

Heist

Rising Star
Registered
A Rail Gun is nothing more than inductive electromagnets.

When you get on a roller coaster that ROCKETS off from the start and blast you up the first hill ... that's not hydraulic. That's all magnetic.

You're basically riding a big rail gun. :eek:

The Navy is doing away with the old steam piston catapults and is going to use the same technology to launch aircraft on their next generation Aircraft carriers.

The problem / set-back with Rail Guns as weapons has been
(1) Keeping the magnets cool! Yeah, on a roller coaster or even launching a plane, you're going to have at least a minute of down time. When you're continously firing weapons in battle - there is no down time for the magnets to cool

(2) The forces being exerted on the electronics and guidance systems inside the projectile. The launch G forces are ENORMOUS and unlike say a missle that travels at Mach 4 or 5, (or any traditional combustion projectile) the speed general builds quickly, but progressively.

A rail gun basically pushes at maximum force right from the start and never lets up. It's completely linear and the electronics can't handle the forces, snap, break, get all screwed up and make the projectile (if guided) go dumb.