Thanksgiving in 48 hrs what Brine are y'all ninjas using?

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm using a Cajun joint to brine then inject tomorrow at noon and fry his ass Thursday. My birds going to be :dance:

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Dawg I literally just came up stairs to my office from putting this on the stove. Like the directions say I brought everything to a boil and I'm letting it cool. Tomorrow I pick up a fresh free range turkey(never frozen).

I've picked up some brine bags and I will brine that baby for about 36 hours before I out him on the grill. I'm using the off heat methods of cooking with charcoal and some hickory wood chunks.

This is the site I picked up the recipe from. I must say the house is smelling delicious right about now.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/my-favorite-turkey-brine
/

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
BTW Fam for those that don't know, always brine breast side down for 3/4 of the time then flip that baby over for the other 1/4 of the time.

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
3 Gallons of water
1 cup of kosher salt
one cup of sugar
2,head garlic chopped
four Sprigs fresh rosemary
4 sprigs of thymes
1 teaspoon of black peppercorns

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
i don't do turkey anymore but try a dry brine...just salt, pepper, Rosemary, thyme, garlic etc & let her sit for 48 hrs...then smoke or fry.

Sent using the Samsung G-Note

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
man, the wife bought that butterball turkey fryer 2 years ago...it's an indoor fryer, so i dont have to mess with propane for outdoor one. It only fits about a 14lb. turkey though.

Man just go buy one already fried,don't go through the hassle. I hear popeyes is taking orders. If so im Goin to put one in tomm

Powerforwardofthesquad

Rising Star
Registered
Man just go buy one already fried,don't go through the hassle. I hear popeyes is taking orders. If so im Goin to put one in tomm

Naw, it's fun to me to do all the preparation, and be proud when it turns out good...like smoking ribs, grilling steaks or chicken, etc. I know ur supposed to let the meat "rest" but i time it all right, so i cut into that bird about 10 minutes after i pull it out the fryer...skin still crispy, etc. But that's all i do...not into baking dressing, mac & cheese, and shit like that.

Thrill3Seeker

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm using a Cajun joint to brine then inject tomorrow at noon and fry his ass Thursday. My birds going to be :dance:

Brine, inject, AND fry? :smh::smh: U hustlin backwards, holmes.

Take it from a bruh that got 100+ fried turkeys, and 50+ smoked turkeys SOLD on his resume........ IN MY OPINON AND EXPERIENCE, for a Beautiful, Tasty, Juicy, Golden Brown Fried Turkey:

Choose a turkey that's less 14 lbs or less. Ideally, a 12 lb turkey is the perfect frying size.

Make sure it's completely thawed.

Inject it while the oil is heating (poke as few holes as possible), and if it's fresh oil, season the turkey liberally w/ Tony Chachere's seasoning.

Go lighter on the seasoning in the area between the leg and the breast and the middle/lower breast. Go harder on the back and the thighs.

If the oil has fried 2 or more turkeys, inject it as described above, and season w/ garlic salt. Don't use any seasoning w/ paprika in it or any seasoning w/ a red tint. It will make ur turkey real dark real quick.

After you've fried it, put the turkey on cardboard (think of the little thing they sit shit on in the canned goods aisle that holds 10 or 12 cans) with the back down, pat the excess oil off w/ a paper towel, and let the turkey rest uncovered for 10 min. This will allow it to 'crisp up.'

After that, wrap it in foil for transit (as lightly as possible) and/or take pictures of the mufucka, post em, give props to Thrill, and then eat!

DoubleT

Potential Star
Registered
Brine, inject, AND fry? :smh::smh: U hustlin backwards, holmes.

Take it from a bruh that got 100+ fried turkeys, and 50+ smoked turkeys SOLD on his resume........ IN MY OPINON AND EXPERIENCE, for a Beautiful, Tasty, Juicy, Golden Brown Fried Turkey:

Choose a turkey that's less 14 lbs or less. Ideally, a 12 lb turkey is the perfect frying size.

Make sure it's completely thawed.

Inject it while the oil is heating (poke as few holes as possible), and if it's fresh oil, season the turkey liberally w/ Tony Chachere's seasoning.

Can you

Go lighter on the seasoning in the area between the leg and the breast and the middle/lower breast. Go harder on the back and the thighs.

If the oil has fried 2 or more turkeys, inject it as described above, and season w/ garlic salt. Don't use any seasoning w/ paprika in it or any seasoning w/ a red tint. It will make ur turkey real dark real quick.

After you've fried it, put the turkey on cardboard (think of the little thing they sit shit on in the canned goods aisle that holds 10 or 12 cans) with the back down, pat the excess oil off w/ a paper towel, and let the turkey rest uncovered for 10 min. This will allow it to 'crisp up.'

After that, wrap it in foil for transit (as lightly as possible) and/or take pictures of the mufucka, post em, give props to Thrill, and then eat!

Can you Brine, inject, and fry? Can somebody school me on Brining? I'm deep frying on Thanksgiving.

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
Man i hope like hell y'all ain't brining a turkey you bought from the store that's already injected with a saline solution at the factory....if you do you gonna have one salty ass bird that will almost be UN-edible.....

Be sure to look at the package it comes in and if it says pre injected, saline solution, etc. then DO NOT BRINE!!!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor

Wait what? :eek: Your doing a brine and injecting the same bird? I thought about doing it before but thought it would be overkill. I know that birds going to be juicy. :yes:

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
I got the deep fryer out I'm bout to blow shit up with my 15 pounder lol

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wait what? :eek: Your doing a brine and injecting the same bird? I thought about doing it before but thought it would be overkill. I know that birds going to be juicy. :yes:

Yeah Man, to prevent salt over dose I use one cup of salt and no salt in my injection. My injection has

olive oil
Lemon juice
Crab boil
Onion powder
Cajun seasoning
Tabasco
Cayenne pepper

All fresh no salt preservatives.

It takes a ton of salt to over season a turkey. My only concern is I have to fry it tonight, due to my buddy going out of town for the holidays. So ill have to warm up the turkey on Thursday. Any recommendations?

KA$H

GoldMember
BGOL Investor
Pussy juice...:cool:

Nah just talking shit actually a Emeril Lagassi Young Turkey recipe...!!!!!FIRE!!!!!

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's your procedure and what are you using to smoke it in? I never had any luck smoking a turkey. :confused:

Smoke turkey is pretty easy but timely if you don't have a smoker.
I prep the turkey the same way but I put beer can up the ass with seasons in it.
Takes us about an hour per pound to cook.

M3MD

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I brine mine for 24 hours using...

Kosher salt
Peppercorns
Brown sugar
Apples
Orange peels
Fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage

After that's done...I then stuff the cavity with carrots, celery, herbs, garlic, and apples. Then I make a mixture of butter and more herbs to stuff underneath the skin of the breasts. I also take the remaining mixture and spread on the outside of the bird...along with a liberal amount of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Once all that's done, I take it out to the deck and smoke it on one of these...

big-green-egg-xl.jpg

This is my first year with the Big Green Egg but during the summer I made a lot of food on it and roasted a whole chicken. Man...when I tell you you have to taste the difference in the food that comes off this compared to your more standard home grills....unbelievable!

Can't wait to taste this turkey on Thursday!

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I brine mine for 24 hours using...

Kosher salt
Peppercorns
Brown sugar
Apples
Orange peels
Fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage

After that's done...I then stuff the cavity with carrots, celery, herbs, garlic, and apples. Then I make a mixture of butter and more herbs to stuff underneath the skin of the breasts. I also take the remaining mixture and spread on the outside of the bird...along with a liberal amount of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Once all that's done, I take it out to the deck and smoke it on one of these...

big-green-egg-xl.jpg

This is my first year with the Big Green Egg but during the summer I made a lot of food on it and roasted a whole chicken. Man...when I tell you you have to taste the difference in the food that comes off this compared to your more standard home grills....unbelievable!

Can't wait to taste this turkey on Thursday!

How much this run you? I may have to get my Dad this. Great recipe.

M3MD

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How much this run you? I may have to get my Dad this. Great recipe.

There's different sizes and options. I went with the biggest one they have and that's the XL model. The Large option is the most popular though but the reason I went with the XL is because I do a lot of grilling too and wanted that extra space for chicken, burgers, sausages, etc. If you want it to mainly do smoking and longer cooks....the Large should be fine.

The large is around $750 and the XL is about $1050. Then you have to get your nest (the rolling stand) and shelves that bolt to the side.

I know its not cheap but its ceramic and quality through and through. Plus, this thing will last you for a couple decades if you just take care of it.

Definitely worth the investment if you enjoy grilling/smoking and taking your food to the next level. When I have people over and I cook on it...they're blown away with how much different the meats taste coming off that compared to what they're used to.

www.biggreenegg.com