Shooting throws spotlight on state of U.S. political rhetoric

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
Re: Tea Party to field candidate in battle for Harry Reid’s Senate seat

Not sure I understand the context for that :confused:

QueEx

I was just playing Thoughtone's polarizing name games with him. He was one one of his typical white people are bad kicks, and I had to remind him that his savior is just as white as he is black, so by his own estimations, he should hate his savior.

Now just to keep it real, while I am glad of the fact that we have someone of color in the office, I feel that the best way to pay hoage to those who fought against color based thought patterns is to examine the thoughts and beliefs of a person, not just what they happen to look like. That is why I am critical of many (if not most) of Obamas policies. And from what I see, that is the same motivation behind many non-black peoples criticizm of him as well.

I abhor the "if you criticize him, you are racist" crowd that in my opinion, has bastardized the struggle for liberty by claiming race onto every argument they disagree with.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Actions speak louder than words my friend

I guess that means you can post no verbal evidence.

Let's compare your actions. President Obama wanted to let the GW tax cuts lapse on those making over $250,000/yr and you said it wasn't the government's money to tax. Using your logic you are for increasing the debt.

Shall I post the quote?

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
And from what I see, that is the same motivation behind many non-black peoples criticizm of him as well.
I abhor the "if you criticize him, you are racist" crowd that in my opinion, has bastardized the struggle for liberty by claiming race onto every argument they disagree with.

There are many people that have policy disagreements with Obama but when they stand by idly while others under their same banner use blatant racist rhetoric and imagery and rarely denounce those people, they're just as guilty.

I guess that means you can post no verbal evidence.

Let's compare your actions. President Obama wanted to let the GW tax cuts lapse on those making over $250,000/yr and you said it wasn't the government's money to tax. Using your logic you are for increasing the debt.
Shall I post the quote?

The Right has been incredibly hypocritical in their talk of deficits and jobs. They seem intent on resisting things that would be most effective in creating and maintaining jobs while arguing for things that would deepen the deficit while acting as if the deficit is a concern of theirs.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
the motherfucker read mein kempf...

so is he a neo nazi, he sured shaved his head like one...???

the truth is, glenn beck, rush and the rest of the white privilege needing white trash mentality pimps...

have insecure nutjob listeners from all walks of life..

and to compare what Obama said to what Palin said is just moronic...

Obama clearly said IF THEY BRING a knife THEN you bring a gun... see the big fuckin IF at the begining of it alll...

now where are the hypotheticals in Palins speech???

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
About the Tea Parties
Their mantra has been about fiscal responsibility and cutting spending. The Republicans haven't shown any of either in any significant, meaningful ways. Now we'll see whether they're authentic or if they've become a sham and an arm of the Republican Party. Some of us think we already know the answer. Now they can show and prove.

Lamarr

Star
Registered
About the Tea Parties
Their mantra has been about fiscal responsibility and cutting spending. The Republicans haven't shown any of either in any significant, meaningful ways. Now we'll see whether they're authentic or if they've become a sham and an arm of the Republican Party. Some of us think we already know the answer. Now they can show and prove.

When assessing the "Tea party", simply look at their views on foreign policy! I remember watchin "W" campaign in 2000, (he actually had a conservative outlook then) he said:

1) a humble foreign policy
2) we don't have to police the world
3) no nation-building :smh:

Keep in mind, this is a traditionally conservative approach, until Karl Rove mind-fucked everybody! If any of them have a sincere desire to cut spending, they will start with the Wars. So all the phonies like Scott Brown, Lindsey Grahamnesty, Romney, Bob Corker can save their "compassionate conservative" bullshit & endorse the principles of a limited govt.

At some point, we must realize the same resources that are being used to engage in War could be used to address some of our domestic issues.

I'll go a step further, use foreign policy to measure everyone in DC and you will see an overwhelming majority of people up there don't give a fuck about us (US citizens). All the citizens get is the bill (which doesn't help anybody). Before I leave, let me borrow a quote from MLK

And you may not know it, my friends, but it is estimated that we spend $500,000 to kill each enemy soldier, while we spend only fifty-three dollars for each person classified as poor, and much of that fifty-three dollars goes for salaries to people that are not poor. So I was increasingly compelled to see the war as an enemy of the poor, and attack it as such. - MLK, Why I oppose the War in Vietnam speech

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
When assessing the "Tea party", simply look at their views on foreign policy! I remember watchin "W" campaign in 2000, (he actually had a conservative outlook then) he said:

Keep in mind, this is a traditionally conservative approach, until Karl Rove mind-fucked everybody! If any of them have a sincere desire to cut spending, they will start with the Wars. So all the phonies like Scott Brown, Lindsey Grahamnesty, Romney, Bob Corker can save their "compassionate conservative" bullshit & endorse the principles of a limited govt.

At some point, we must realize the same resources that are being used to engage in War could be used to address some of our domestic issues.

I'll go a step further, use foreign policy to measure everyone in DC and you will see an overwhelming majority of people up there don't give a fuck about us (US citizens). All the citizens get is the bill (which doesn't help anybody). Before I leave, let me borrow a quote from MLK

I fully agree but when we are talking about the Tea Parties (no quoatations since it's the name of several groups and how they refer to themselves) their focus has been fiscal responsibility and limited federal government over foreign policy. I can't think of any major politicians who branded themselves as "Tea Party representatives" who stood on the grounds of smarter foreign policy. Not saying none did but it wasn't at the front of the movement, at least not publicly.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Keep in mind, this is a traditionally conservative approach, until Karl Rove mind-fucked everybody!

What? :eek:

Eisenhower - Iranian Coup for oil
Military advisors in Viet Nam
Continuing and escalating Truman's Korean policy

Nixon - Chile, 1973 coup

Reagan Doctrine - Invading Grenada
Mining Nicaraguan Harbors

HW Bush - Dessert Storm

...and these are just a few!

Lamarr, your view of the world is based on inaccuracies. But that is typical of the average American.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
What? :eek:

Eisenhower - Iranian Coup for oil
Military advisors in Viet Nam
Continuing and escalating Truman's Korean policy

Nixon - Chile, 1973 coup

Reagan Doctrine - Invading Grenada
Mining Nicaraguan Harbors

HW Bush - Dessert Storm

...and these are just a few!

Lamarr, your view of the world is based on inaccuracies. But that is typical of the average American.

I actually think this is more of what I was talking about. There is nothing conservative, to me, about any of those military junctures but they were done and pushed by "conservative" Presidents.

Lamarr

Star
Registered
I fully agree but when we are talking about the Tea Parties (no quoatations since it's the name of several groups and how they refer to themselves) their focus has been fiscal responsibility and limited federal government over foreign policy. I can't think of any major politicians who branded themselves as "Tea Party representatives" who stood on the grounds of smarter foreign policy. Not saying none did but it wasn't at the front of the movement, at least not publicly.

That is the divide in the conservative movement right now. Its funny how those who advocate a non-interventionist policy somehow get labeled a "wacko" or "isolationist", something negative. (Similar to the way Dr. King was called a rabble-rouser for speaking out against the war in Vietnam) Anyway, for someone like Palin, McCain, or Romney to subscribe to the current foreign policy and in the same breath, support limited govt, :smh: its an oxymoron

A recent article on this very topic

One of the main theses of the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential campaign, where the genesis of the Tea Party movement lies, is the fact one cannot have a large military, national security and intelligence establishments and a small government at the same time. It doesn’t work that way contrary to what the politicians will have you believe. If Tea Partiers are serious (and Larison is betting they’re not), then they have to call for not just cuts in the Pentagon budget, but fundamental changes in the way the U.S. conducts foreign and military policy, in line with current budget, economic and resource realities. This is the challenge that must be presented to the Tea Partiers and must pushed upon them to meet. If they do so, then the Tea Parties can have a transformative effect on U.S. policy and politics and broaden itself to being a larger movement. If not, they simply pass into history as just another faction, another protest group, a white, middle-class version of ACORN looking to protect its share of the shrinking pie with the battle cry: “What’s Mine is Mine and What’s Yours is Negotiable!”

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That is the divide in the conservative movement right now. Its funny how those who advocate a non-interventionist policy somehow get labeled a "wacko" or "isolationist", something negative. (Similar to the way Dr. King was called a rabble-rouser for speaking out against the war in Vietnam) Anyway, for someone like Palin, McCain, or Romney to subscribe to the current foreign policy and in the same breath, support limited govt, :smh: its an oxymoron

A recent article on this very topic

Your continued linkage of Ron Paul with Dr. King is laughable. It only continues to show your lack of intellectual curiosity and adherence to ideology. As I have stated before, Paul's motivation against war has nothing to do with philanthropy. It has everything to do with tax policy. In fact if Paul has his way, the money he wishes to save in military expenditures will not be used for governmental programs of social welfare. The exact opposite of what Dr. King stood for! Dr. King was not for limited government as defined by today's right wing. In fact he petition the government to get involved in protecting the rights of workers, the poor and oppressed. Revisionism of Dr. King's life is a full time career for many on the right (conservatives).

The isolationist wing of the republican party is not new. They were a main voice not to enter (directly) in to WWII. But during and after WWII, they saw the massive profits that the war machine could generate.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I guess this is ok by the liberals, maybe the right took it out of context.

By WSJ Staff

[Editor's note: This blog post was published in 2008. In the wake of Saturday’s shooting rampage in Tucson, Ariz., a number of lawmakers and others have called for toning down the political rhetoric and President Barack Obama led a moment of silence this morning for the victims. Click here and here for more. Also, check back with Washington Wire for updates.]

Amy Chozick reports on the presidential race from Philadelphia.

Mobster wisdom tells us never to bring a knife to a gun fight. But what does political wisdom say about bringing a gun to a knife fight?

That’s exactly what Barack Obama said he would do to counter Republican attacks “If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said at a Philadelphia fundraiser Friday night. “Because from what I understand folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.”

Sen. Barack Obama talks at a town hall meeting at Radnor Middle School in Wayne, Pa., Saturday, June 14. (AP)
The comment drew some laughs and applause. But it also struck a chord with his Republican rival. John McCain’s campaign immediately accused the Democratic candidate of playing the politics of fear. They also mentioned that Obama said he would use a gun that would be illegal under Obama’s plans to cut down on illegal firearms.

“Barack Obama’s call for ‘new politics’ is officially over. In just 24 hours, Barack Obama attacked one of America’s pioneering women CEOs, rejected a series of joint bipartisan town halls, and said that if there’s a political knife fight, he’d bring a gun,” McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds said in a statement.

Obama made the comment in the context of warning donors that the general election campaign against McCain could get ugly. “They’re going to try to scare people. They’re going to try to say that ‘that Obama is a scary guy,’” he said. A supporter yelled out a deep accented “Don’t give in!”

“I won’t but that sounded pretty scary. You’re a tough guy,” Obama said.​

<IFRAME SRC="http://factcheck.org/2011/01/obama-guns-and-the-untouchables/" WIDTH=780 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://factcheck.org/2011/01/obama-guns-and-the-untouchables/">link</A>

</IFRAME>

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wish President Obama took this approach with John Boehner

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d-sV-O2-jCY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d-sV-O2-jCY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
<IFRAME SRC="http://factcheck.org/2011/01/obama-guns-and-the-untouchables/" WIDTH=780 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://factcheck.org/2011/01/obama-guns-and-the-untouchables/">link</A>

</IFRAME>

I thought by now "The Untouchables" had been wide seen enough that most people recognized that line instantly. I did.

I totally approve of the line and even taken out of context, it advocates self defense.
Putting crosshairs on your opponents makes them gun targets.
The Right only make themselves look worse when they put up these easily dismissed paper tigers.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I thought by now "The Untouchables" had been wide seen enough that most people recognized that line instantly. I did.

I totally approve of the line and even taken out of context, it advocates self defense.
Putting crosshairs on your opponents makes them gun targets.

The Right only make themselves look worse when they put up these easily dismissed paper tigers.

I agree, except that I believe that it depends heavily upon and its target audience is highly susceptible to political-misdirection. Is its target audience capable or even willing to look beyond the rhetoric ??? If not, in the eyes of that audience, paper tigers actually do roar !

LOL

QueEx

Lamarr

Star
Registered
Your continued linkage of Ron Paul with Dr. King is laughable. It only continues to show your lack of intellectual curiosity and adherence to ideology. As I have stated before, Paul's motivation against war has nothing to do with philanthropy. It has everything to do with tax policy. In fact if Paul has his way, the money he wishes to save in military expenditures will not be used for governmental programs of social welfare. The exact opposite of what Dr. King stood for! Dr. King was not for limited government as defined by today's right wing. In fact he petition the government to get involved in protecting the rights of workers, the poor and oppressed. Revisionism of Dr. King's life is a full time career for many on the right (conservatives).

The isolationist wing of the republican party is not new. They were a main voice not to enter (directly) in to WWII. But during and after WWII, they saw the massive profits that the war machine could generate.

Whats laughable is the Nobel Peace Prize winner following Dick Cheney's foreign policy......and you believing "the country is moving forward"

Maybe its your intellectual dishonesty, Ron Paul said it from the start, not only through his dialog but more importantly through his votes. Face it, the cracka has voted against "W" Bush every step of the way. It is a good thing the Patriot Act, (which Obama voted for) was not in place during the civil rights movement. Rosa Parks and Dr. King could have been arrested and detained without any legal representation and charged as terrorists.

Perhaps maybe, it is your inability to understand that stopping these wars of aggression would indirectly benefit the poor, middle-class, & those on fixed incomes. Whatever is not wasted in overseas endeavors, therefore, could be used here at home instead of borrowing money from the Chinese.

Thought, I know you're smart enough to see that these wars are bleeding the resources of this country dry!

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I agree, except that I believe that it depends heavily upon and its target audience is highly susceptible to political-misdirection. Is its target audience capable or even willing to look beyond the rhetoric ??? If not, in the eyes of that audience, paper tigers actually do roar !

LOL

QueEx

:lol:

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Whats laughable is the Nobel Peace Prize winner following Dick Cheney's foreign policy......and you believing "the country is moving forward"

Maybe its your intellectual dishonesty, Ron Paul said it from the start, not only through his dialog but more importantly through his votes. Face it, the cracka has voted against "W" Bush every step of the way. It is a good thing the Patriot Act, (which Obama voted for) was not in place during the civil rights movement. Rosa Parks and Dr. King could have been arrested and detained without any legal representation and charged as terrorists.

Perhaps maybe, it is your inability to understand that stopping these wars of aggression would indirectly benefit the poor, middle-class, & those on fixed incomes. Whatever is not wasted in overseas endeavors, therefore, could be used here at home instead of borrowing money from the Chinese.

Thought, I know you're smart enough to see that these wars are bleeding the resources of this country dry!

Did you fully read my post? And if you did, do you understand my references?
You seem to be redundant for arguments sake.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: Tea Party to field candidate in battle for Harry Reid’s Senate seat

Not sure I understand the context for that :confused:

QueEx

Parsing words. When a reply is unintelligible, then I assume the attack is baseless and emotional.

Lamarr

Star
Registered

Do you know what Paul's motivation is? So let me guess, you support the wars because Paul's intentions aren't genuine?

Next time you wonder why the rich get richer, think about this image

war_is_enemy_of_the_poor.jpg

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Do you know what Paul's motivation is? So let me guess, you support the wars because Paul's intentions aren't genuine?

Next time you wonder why the rich get richer, think about this image

war_is_enemy_of_the_poor.jpg

Once again, your world view is based on a false premise. Post something were I stated I support the war(s).

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why do you classify this as a non-story ?

civility....

Yea, from your side!

source: CNN

Affidavit: Man admits church shooting, says liberals should die

KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (CNN) -- A man accused of fatally shooting two adults and wounding seven others at a Knoxville church told police the church's liberal teachings prompted him to attack, according to court papers.

Jim David Adkisson told investigators all liberals should be killed and admitted he shot people Sunday morning at Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained by CNN affiliate WBIR.

Also, a four-page letter police found in Adkisson's vehicle indicated he was motivated by frustration over being unable to obtain a job, authorities said Monday.

Police said Adkisson, 58, of Powell, Tennessee, walked into the church's sanctuary during a children's musical performance and fired a shotgun before being overpowered by congregants and arrested. Adkisson -- who police said wasn't a member of the church -- has been charged with one count of first-degree murder.

According to the affidavit requesting to search Adkisson's home, the suspect told investigators liberals should be killed because they were ruining the country. Adkisson also blamed Democrats for the country's decline, according to the affidavit.

"He felt that the Democrats had tied his country's hands in the war on terror and they had ruined every institution in America with the aid of major media outlets," the affidavit said. "Because he could not get to the leaders of the liberal movement ... he would then target those that had voted them into office."

Killed in the shooting were Linda Kraeger, 61, and Greg McKendry, 60, police said. Witnesses said McKendry, an usher and board member at the church, tried to shield others when he was shot, according to The Associated Press.
video.gif
Watch scene at church after shooting »

<!--endclickprintexclude-->Four of the seven surviving wounded were still in the University of Tennessee Medical Center on Monday evening. Officials there said two patients were in critical condition and one was "stable." The hospital would not release information about the fourth person.

At a news conference Monday, Knoxville Police Chief Sterling Owen IV said Adkisson left a note in his vehicle before entering the church, thinking police would kill him after the shooting began.

Owen said the letter, signed by Adkisson but not addressed to anyone, expressed hatred for gay people and what he called the liberal movement.

According to Out & About, a gay newspaper based in Nashville, Tennessee, the church was home to several gay and gay-friendly groups and recently posted a "gays welcome" sign "as part of its long-range planning to conduct more outreach and welcome" to gay men and lesbians.

The church, on its Web site, describes itself as a community that has worked for social change -- including desegregation, women's rights and gay rights -- since the 1950s.

The case is being investigated as a hate crime, Owen said.

Owen also said the letter expressed Adkisson's frustrations at not being able to find employment.Authorities also discovered a letter from the state government telling Adkisson he was having his food stamps reduced or eliminated, police said.

Owen said Adkisson has resided in the Knoxville area for three or four years and his last known employment was in 2006. Neighbors told The Associated Press Adkisson had been a truck driver, and Owen said Adkisson has an associate's degree in mechanical engineering.
map.gif
See map »

"He did express that frustration, that the liberal movement was getting more jobs," Owen told reporters. "And he felt like he was being kept out of the loop because of his age."
video.gif
Watch police chief describe latest findings »

Investigators found 76 shotgun shells in the church, Owen said. Three rounds were fired from a 12-gauge shotgun that was brought into the church hidden in a guitar case, police said.

There is "an indication he was not targeting the children," but that has not been conclusively determined, Owen said. iReport.com: Are you there? Share photos, video, accounts

During a search of Adkisson's home, investigators confiscated a handgun, a sawed-off shotgun barrel and books by conservative commentators, authorities said.

The shooting came eight years after Adkisson, according to divorce documents, threatened to kill his fourth wife and himself.

In a 2000 complaint filed in Tennessee's Anderson County, his then-wife, Liza Alexander, said she was "in fear for my life and what he might do." She also claimed that Adkisson "drinks heavily every day, and becomes belligerent, and makes threats."

"My husband, Jim David Adkisson told a friend of mine that one of his options is to blow my brains out and then blow his own brains out (I heard him say this)," Alexander wrote in her petition for a protection order, which she was granted.

The only criminal record authorities have found of Adkisson shows two instances of driving under the influence -- one in California "a number of years ago" and one "more recently" in Tennessee, Owen said.

Authorities have been told that Adkisson was once in the military, a member of the 101st Airborne Division, Owen said.

Lt. Col. Anne Edgecomb, an Army spokeswoman, said there is a record of a Jim David Adkisson who served beginning in 1974. He was released from active duty in 1977 and discharged in 1980. He was a helicopter repairman with the 163rd Aviation Co. at Fort Campbell, Kentucky -- part of the 101st Airborne Division.

Adkisson's military record shows that in 1977 he was demoted from a specialist 4th class to private. Information about why Adkisson was demoted wasn't available.

Neighbors said Adkisson was quiet and kept to himself.

"He never went anywhere. He never had anybody over. Just, it was really quiet. He rode a motorcycle and you know he would go out on the weekends on his motorcycle, but other than that, you never heard from him," Melissa Coker told WVLT-TV.

Coker told the AP that Adkisson had been a truck driver, but she didn't think he'd been working steadily in the past six months.

"He's just a really, really nice guy," Coker told the AP.

Adkisson's landlord said she did not know him well enough to make any comments on his character but said he was a good tenant who paid his bills, according to CNN affiliate WBIR-TV.

Bail was set at $1 million late Sunday.

Police said people were recording videos of the children's performance when the shooting happened, and investigators were reviewing the videos. Information on what, if anything, the videos show of the shooting wasn't immediately available.
<!--startclickprintexclude-->
Three of the wounded were relatives who were visiting the church for the first time Sunday. WVLT identified the three as Joe Barnhart, 76; Jack Barnhart, 69; and Betty Barnhart, 71, who was treated and released Sunday.

A statement released by the family Monday said: "The entire Barnhart family would like to thank our friends and the community for their calls, visits and prayers. ... Our family members continue to recover and we ask that your prayers continue for all that have been involved in this tragic event."

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
source: CNN

Affidavit: Man admits church shooting, says liberals should die

KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (CNN) -- A man accused of fatally shooting two adults and wounding seven others at a Knoxville church told police the church's liberal teachings prompted him to attack, according to court papers.

Jim David Adkisson told investigators all liberals should be killed and admitted he shot people Sunday morning at Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained by CNN affiliate WBIR.

Also, a four-page letter police found in Adkisson's vehicle indicated he was motivated by frustration over being unable to obtain a job, authorities said Monday.

Police said Adkisson, 58, of Powell, Tennessee, walked into the church's sanctuary during a children's musical performance and fired a shotgun before being overpowered by congregants and arrested. Adkisson -- who police said wasn't a member of the church -- has been charged with one count of first-degree murder.

According to the affidavit requesting to search Adkisson's home, the suspect told investigators liberals should be killed because they were ruining the country. Adkisson also blamed Democrats for the country's decline, according to the affidavit.

"He felt that the Democrats had tied his country's hands in the war on terror and they had ruined every institution in America with the aid of major media outlets," the affidavit said. "Because he could not get to the leaders of the liberal movement ... he would then target those that had voted them into office."

Killed in the shooting were Linda Kraeger, 61, and Greg McKendry, 60, police said. Witnesses said McKendry, an usher and board member at the church, tried to shield others when he was shot, according to The Associated Press.
video.gif
Watch scene at church after shooting »

<!--endclickprintexclude-->Four of the seven surviving wounded were still in the University of Tennessee Medical Center on Monday evening. Officials there said two patients were in critical condition and one was "stable." The hospital would not release information about the fourth person.

At a news conference Monday, Knoxville Police Chief Sterling Owen IV said Adkisson left a note in his vehicle before entering the church, thinking police would kill him after the shooting began.

Owen said the letter, signed by Adkisson but not addressed to anyone, expressed hatred for gay people and what he called the liberal movement.

According to Out & About, a gay newspaper based in Nashville, Tennessee, the church was home to several gay and gay-friendly groups and recently posted a "gays welcome" sign "as part of its long-range planning to conduct more outreach and welcome" to gay men and lesbians.

The church, on its Web site, describes itself as a community that has worked for social change -- including desegregation, women's rights and gay rights -- since the 1950s.

The case is being investigated as a hate crime, Owen said.

Owen also said the letter expressed Adkisson's frustrations at not being able to find employment.Authorities also discovered a letter from the state government telling Adkisson he was having his food stamps reduced or eliminated, police said.

Owen said Adkisson has resided in the Knoxville area for three or four years and his last known employment was in 2006. Neighbors told The Associated Press Adkisson had been a truck driver, and Owen said Adkisson has an associate's degree in mechanical engineering.
map.gif
See map »

"He did express that frustration, that the liberal movement was getting more jobs," Owen told reporters. "And he felt like he was being kept out of the loop because of his age."
video.gif
Watch police chief describe latest findings »

Investigators found 76 shotgun shells in the church, Owen said. Three rounds were fired from a 12-gauge shotgun that was brought into the church hidden in a guitar case, police said.

There is "an indication he was not targeting the children," but that has not been conclusively determined, Owen said. iReport.com: Are you there? Share photos, video, accounts

During a search of Adkisson's home, investigators confiscated a handgun, a sawed-off shotgun barrel and books by conservative commentators, authorities said.

The shooting came eight years after Adkisson, according to divorce documents, threatened to kill his fourth wife and himself.

In a 2000 complaint filed in Tennessee's Anderson County, his then-wife, Liza Alexander, said she was "in fear for my life and what he might do." She also claimed that Adkisson "drinks heavily every day, and becomes belligerent, and makes threats."

"My husband, Jim David Adkisson told a friend of mine that one of his options is to blow my brains out and then blow his own brains out (I heard him say this)," Alexander wrote in her petition for a protection order, which she was granted.

The only criminal record authorities have found of Adkisson shows two instances of driving under the influence -- one in California "a number of years ago" and one "more recently" in Tennessee, Owen said.

Authorities have been told that Adkisson was once in the military, a member of the 101st Airborne Division, Owen said.

Lt. Col. Anne Edgecomb, an Army spokeswoman, said there is a record of a Jim David Adkisson who served beginning in 1974. He was released from active duty in 1977 and discharged in 1980. He was a helicopter repairman with the 163rd Aviation Co. at Fort Campbell, Kentucky -- part of the 101st Airborne Division.

Adkisson's military record shows that in 1977 he was demoted from a specialist 4th class to private. Information about why Adkisson was demoted wasn't available.

Neighbors said Adkisson was quiet and kept to himself.

"He never went anywhere. He never had anybody over. Just, it was really quiet. He rode a motorcycle and you know he would go out on the weekends on his motorcycle, but other than that, you never heard from him," Melissa Coker told WVLT-TV.

Coker told the AP that Adkisson had been a truck driver, but she didn't think he'd been working steadily in the past six months.

"He's just a really, really nice guy," Coker told the AP.

Adkisson's landlord said she did not know him well enough to make any comments on his character but said he was a good tenant who paid his bills, according to CNN affiliate WBIR-TV.

Bail was set at $1 million late Sunday.

Police said people were recording videos of the children's performance when the shooting happened, and investigators were reviewing the videos. Information on what, if anything, the videos show of the shooting wasn't immediately available.
<!--startclickprintexclude-->
Three of the wounded were relatives who were visiting the church for the first time Sunday. WVLT identified the three as Joe Barnhart, 76; Jack Barnhart, 69; and Betty Barnhart, 71, who was treated and released Sunday.

A statement released by the family Monday said: "The entire Barnhart family would like to thank our friends and the community for their calls, visits and prayers. ... Our family members continue to recover and we ask that your prayers continue for all that have been involved in this tragic event."