Random: Cooking Tips

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
Not my list, and I'm sure the BGOL chefs are aware of some of these.

I'll keep adding as I find more, feel free to add your tips.

More cooking less eating out.:D

Never wash mushrooms! If the fungi have dirt or debris on them, simply brush it off with a cloth. Water will saturate the mushroom, leaving them tasteless and soggy.

Leave your butter out. You can actually leave butter out non-refrigerated for several days. Soft butter is easier to work with, and won’t tear your bread apart when you try to spread it.

Make sure your meat is room temperature before cooking. Cold meat seizes up, and can become tough. Also, make sure your meat sits for a few minutes before cooking. This enables the fats to solidify, producing a juicer, more flavorful piece or meat.

When making meatballs or meatloaf, add some water to the mixture- the end result will be a moist and delicious.
When making quick breads or cookies mix the dough just until it comes together. Overworked gluten will yield a gummy product.

Just because it reads Organic, doesn’t mean the nutritional content differs from a non-organic product.

Don’t buy pre-chopped garlic in water. The H2O dilutes the flavor of the garlic. Pure is always better.

Combine those bottles of left-over white and red wines to use for cooking later. Left-over wine? Where?

Always rinse your rice before cooking until the water runs clear. Clean rice, free of excess starch will come out fluffy, not clumpy.

For perfect hard-boiled eggs- start the eggs in a large pot with cold water and a tablespoon of salt. Slowly bring the water to a boil- cook for 8-10 minutes, then let sit for another 5 minutes. Cool the eggs in ice water, and store.
Place your fresh herbs in a wet-wrapped paper towel in the crisper. Or place them in a vase just like a bouquet of fresh flowers.

To keep your salt-shakers from clogging, throw a few kernels of uncooked rice in.

Pancakes are lighter and fluffier if you fold in a few whipped egg-whites.

If you’re looking for a tenderizing marinade, use something with a tomato base in it. The acid helps break down the fibers in the meat.

Always wash your poultry before cooking it- you can actually remove most of the harmful bacteria by doing this.
Season EVERYTHING you cook. TASTE everything before you serve it to you guests/customers.

Contrary to popular belief, the only way to tell if you have picked a good watermelon is by cutting it open and tasting it.

Just because your cheese has a little mold on it doesn’t mean it’s bad. Cut the mold off, and eat away!

Old honey will often crystallize and become solid. When this happens, put it in a warm water bath or microwave until the sugar crystals melt.

When clarifying butter, instead of skimming the milk solids off, do nothing at all. Eventually, the water and excess milk will evaporate leaving you with perfectly clarified butter.
Try using almond, or rice milk instead of soy. Increasing studies are showing that soy products can leach vitamins and minerals from your body.

Before settling on an olive oil, try as many as possible. Most good Italian stores will let you sample different oils… pick the variety that tastes best to you. Try using extra virgin when you can- this term means that the oil is made from the first pressing of the olives.

Don’t put oil in your pasta water- ever. Oil will prevent sauces from sticking to the noodles. And no, cold water doesn’t boil faster than hot water.

If you’re trying to cut calories when baking, try substituting apple sauce where you would use butter or oils.

Unbleached flour is better for you than regular processed flour.

Skim milk isn’t necessarily better than 1% or 2%. Your body needs the fat in order to metabolize the proteins. The same goes with eggs- a few yolks aren’t going to kill you.

Don’t add water or milk to your scrambled eggs or omelets- it dilutes the taste.

Lemon juice is an excellent preservative, and keeps food from discoloring.

Don’t trim all that fat from your meats before cooking- remember, fat=flavor.

Save your veggie trimmings in a plastic bag in the fridge- they’re great for soups, stocks and sauces.

If you put a small amount of butter or oil in your pancake/waffle batter, they won’t stick to the pan/waffle maker when they’re done.

Don’t use soap on your Teflon pans. A swipe with a damp paper towel is all it takes!

Sponges are havens for bacteria. If you choose to use a sponge, replace it every two days. Plastic dish brushes are cleaner. Clean your dish brushes in the dishwasher every time you run a cycle.

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
Some Two Ingredient Recipes.

enhanced-buzz-7179-1352824765-8.jpg

enhanced-buzz-7080-1352824819-12.jpg

Scientifically, it works because coconut oil is a liquid when warmed, but a solid at room temperature.

Recipe here:
http://alphamom.com/family-fun/food-home/july-is-national-ice-cream-month-aww-yeah/

enhanced-buzz-7213-1352824859-6.jpg

Recipe:
http://www.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/Dinner+7/2-ingredient-pizza-dough-recipe+2760.htm

enhanced-buzz-7200-1352824940-9.jpg

Recipe here:
http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/two-ingredient-banana-peanut-butter-ice-cream/
You can use Nutella instead of PB.

enhanced-buzz-3192-1352825286-16.jpg

Recipe Here:
http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2012/07/02/two-ingredient-creamy-garlic-broccoli/

enhanced-buzz-3227-1352825312-1.jpg

Recipe here:
http://celebrationsathomeblog.com/2012/07/cheese-crisps-recipe.html

enhanced-buzz-3190-1352825474-8.jpg

Nutella-Hot-Chocolate1.jpg

For the lactose drinkers:
http://realmomkitchen.com/4725/nutella-hot-chocolate/

The rest are here:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/34-insanely-simple-two-ingredient-recipes

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
Subs, I will add brine your chicken before frying/baking it will be so moist, (I add, brown sugar, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, and salt)

dbrizzz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Subs, I will add brine your chicken before frying/baking it will be so moist, (I add, brown sugar, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, and salt)

Yes indeed! I use 50/50 water and apple juice, kosher salt, bay leaves, dill, parsely, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper. Heat the mixture to let the ingredients dissolve, let it cool, and submerge the bird overnight. I just smoked a bird the other day and it was fire!

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
Yes indeed! I use 50/50 water and apple juice, kosher salt, bay leaves, dill, parsely, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper. Heat the mixture to let the ingredients dissolve, let it cool, and submerge the bird overnight. I just smoked a bird the other day and it was fire!

heat to dissolve :yes: nice tip, thanks.

How to "velvet" Chicken, get your Chinese takeout on.

FJTK44ZH5R9EXOQ.LARGE.jpg

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless Chicken meat, cut into thin strips
2 teaspoons Rice Wine (Saki) or Seasoned Rice Vinegar
1 large egg white
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons Canola or Peanut Oil- divided
Water
Tools:
Medium bowl
Whisk
Colander
large skillet
Slotted spoon

Preparation:

Whisk the egg white, cornstarch, rice wine, salt and 1 Tablespoon of oil in a medium bowl until smooth.

Add the sliced chicken and stir until coated.

Refrigerate (marinate) 30 minutes. Drain in colander.

Add 1-2 inches of water plus 1 Tablespoon oil to the skillet. Bring to a full boil over high heat.

Reduce the heat to medium-low. Immediately add chicken strips, individually, to the almost-boiling water. Stir with slotted spoon so they don't stick together.

Once the water comes back to a barely-bubbling simmer, cook the chicken strips for 1 minute longer, stirring occasionally.

After 1 minute, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon into the colander to fully drain.

Put the drained strips into bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

The chicken strips are warm, fully cooked and ready to be added to your favorite stir-fry.

For Colin:
F2XJ618H5R9EVQC.LARGE.jpg

FVEK4IJH5R9EVQD.LARGE.jpg

FH38B7TH5R9EVQE.LARGE.jpg

F4XP3NBH5R9EVQF.LARGE.jpg

FHXIBTJH5R9EVQI.LARGE.jpg

FNQOJXHH5R9EVQQ.LARGE.jpg

F0CR9HVH5R9EX34.LARGE.jpg

ShortyCumStain

Rising Star
OG Investor
I'd get my ass handed to me by da chef or sous chef/chef de partie if I was seen trying to prep some mushrooms that I haven't washed off yet. Some of those "tips" are iffy.

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
Little Known Uses for Fruit Peels, Shells and Seeds

Little Known Uses for Fruit Peels, Shells and Seeds

Oranges

One orange provides nearly 100% of the recommended daily dietary intake of vitamin C. They also provide good fiber, vitamin A, B vitamins, amino acids, beta-carotene, potassium, folic acid, and much more. Oranges have been shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor and blood clot inhibiting properties. They are also full of antioxidants, making oranges one of the most recommended fruits for maintaining optimal health.

Orange Peels

Don't throw those peels away once you've gotten your fill of citrusy goodness. Try some of these uses from The Kitchn:

Add to meat dishes to enhance the flavor. Put peels in braising liquid or into the cavity of a whole chicken before roasting.

Infuse your liquor, especially vodka, for excellent cocktails.

Dry and save for black tea.

Here are some more great ideas from Associated Content:

Add orange peels to aging olive oil to add an extra zest that's great on salads and pastas.

Set some orange peels around areas where ants are a problem. Works as a great ant repellent. Helpful while on a picnics or camping.

Deodorize garbage cans by dropping a couple of orange peels in the bottom of the can before inserting the trash bag.

You can also check out this Tip Hero write-up of a Frugal Village article for more ideas.

Pineapple

Apart from being loaded with vitamins and minerals, pineapples have a lot of other health benefits. They are full of manganese, which helps to strengthen bones. One cup a day of pineapple in any form provides 73% of the daily recommended amount of this stuff. Pineapple is also great for treating coughs or colds. While the extra vitamin C doesn't hurt, pineapples contain bromelain, which has been found to help suppress coughs and loosen mucus.

Pineapple Skin

EHow has a great idea for making sure that pineapple skin doesn't get wasted after eating the juicy inside. Here's a way to make fresh pineapple juice using the skin of a pineapple and a few other ingredients.

Take your pineapple and scrub with a brush under hot sink water for a few minutes. Boil 2 quarts of water on the stove, and then turn off burner. Cut away skin from your pineapple with a large knife. De-vein the pineapple but leave the cored fruit. Place all the extras from the pineapple (skin and juice that leaked, etc.) into the pot of water. Let contents, including a piece of ginger root, steam in the water for an hour. Enjoy the pineapple fruit any way you'd like!

After an hour, blend the contents of the water pot in a blender. Strain two or three times with a cloth sieve. Sweeten, if needed, with sugar and refrigerate until cold. Voila! You've got freshly made pineapple juice without actually using the fruit part!

Bananas

Bananas, of course, are full of potassium, which is good for your heart, nerves, kidneys and bones. Bananas are also known to have a calming effect on the brain and help to create a stable mood. They are also full of vitamin B6, which helps your body make hemoglobin, a crucial ingredient of your blood. One banana a day can also provide you with 16% of the daily recommended fiber intake. The best part about bananas? They are extremely affordable at about 35-40 cents per pound (US average).

Banana Peels

The insides of banana peels are full of antioxidants and potassium, and therefore, surprisingly, can have healing powers when it comes to many facial problems. Here are some ways that eHow suggests you use banana peels for skin care:

Rub inside of banana peel on psoriasis-affected areas of skin. Skin might be red at first, but you should notice a difference within a few days.

Rub inside of banana peel over your acne at night for improved skin.

Rub on poison ivy to stop itching and subdue inflammation. Reapply as necessary.

Grapefruit

This fruit is a great helper when it comes to weight loss. While low in sodium and high in fat burning enzymes, grapefruit can also help increase metabolism. They are also rich in lycopene, which helps prevent the occurrence of tumors and cancer. Grapefruit is a great fruit to eat before eating other foods, as it can aid in the proper digestion of food.

Grapefruit Peels

There are lots of uses you can put grapefruit peels to. The peels contain pectin, which can help keep cholesterol in check. Here are some ideas from eHow for using the outer part of grapefruits:

Many creative things can be done with grapefruit peel. You can use the zest on salads or in cooking; it can even be dried and added to loose-leaf tea mixtures. It is also possible to infuse olive oil with the essence of grapefruit or to make marmalade with it. A grapefruit half, cleaned of the pulp and pith, also offers a stylish way to present a fruit salad; it can serve as the bowl. If you simply want to dispose of the peel in a beneficial way, add it to your compost pile.

Pomegranate

Pomegranates have gained a lot of popularity in the last few years, and with good reason. They are full of vitamins and folic acid. They have been shown to aid in the prevention of breast cancer, lung cancer, osteoarthritis, and more. They are also known to lower cholesterol and blood pressure. As a bonus, if you don't want to eat all of the seeds, here is a great recipe from NoteCook for a DIY pomegranate body scrub.

Pomegranate Peels

After you pick the yummy stuff out of the pomegranate, the rest is useless, right? Nope! Pomegranate peels are actually a great treatment for diarrhea. Associated Content has a recipe for a tea that should cure this problem. Cut up peels into small, nickel sized pieces and lay them in the sun to dry. Store in a tea box or glass jar until you need to use them.

To make the tea, take 4-5 dry pieces and place them into a cup. Add boiling water and wait until the drink cools a bit. One serving should be enough to cure the problem, but you might need to continue this remedy for a few days in severe cases.

Lemons (and Limes)

These citrus fruits are full of vitamin C and full of flavor. They contain flavonoid compounds, antioxidants and anti-cancer properties. The uses for these fruits are endless in the food and drink department. Check out this Tip Hero write-up if you're at a loss for what to do with lemons.

Lemon Peels

Try some of these tips from Reader's Digest:

Get rid of mineral deposits and polish chrome faucets by rubbing lemon rind over the chrome. Rinse and dry with a soft cloth.

Throw leftover lemon peels down the garbage disposal to deodorize and keep it smelling fresh.

Use peels to clean counter tops and sink stains and your kitchen will have a lemony-fresh scent.

Remove tea stains on tablecloths by sprinkling the stain with salt and rubbing the lemon peel across the surface.

Avocado

These fruits are full of the "good fat" that is not harmful to you and doesn't increase your cholesterol. Avocados can lower cholesterol in the blood and protect against cholesterol related heart diseases. They also contain many necessary minerals like potassium, calcium, vitamins C and K, folic acid, etc. Avocados have even been proven to contain a toxin that kills cancer cells.

Avocado Pits

Don't throw those avocado pits away if you have use for a nice houseplant. Try this tip from Thrifty Fun. All you have to do with the pit is wash it and stick three toothpicks around the pointy upper third of the pit. Place the pit in a jar of water so that most but not all of the pit is submerged. In five days, put the jar in a spot that receives a lot of sunlight. Once you see roots and leaves sprouting, you can transplant the pit to potting soil. Water once a week and watch your little plant flourish!

Peanuts

Ok, peanuts are technically from the legume family, but I couldn't help but add these nutritional gems to the list. Peanuts contain a high amount of protein. They are also a good source of coenzyme q10, which protects the heart during periods when you have a lack of oxygen, such as when at high altitudes. Unsalted peanuts are also good for your arteries and promote the growth of healthy bones. The list goes on.

Peanut Shells

Here's an idea from Life hackery: Use stored peanut shells as a charcoal substitute when grilling. They don't burn easily and can absorb decent amounts of heat.

EHow suggests that you make a homemade kitty litter using peanut shells. Soak the shells in water, then add biodegradable dish soap. Let them dry and sprinkle them with baking soda. This kitty litter will be much better for the environment than the chemically treated variety.

Watermelon

Watermelon is a great summery fruit that, like most melons, is rich in potassium. This nutrient helps to control blood pressure and possibly prevent strokes. They are full of vitamin C and beta-carotene, which researchers believe are capable of preventing heart disease, cancer and other chronic conditions. There are many ways you can enjoy watermelon, but here is a fun idea for a party (since the fourth of July is around the corner!) Try a Vodka Watermelon recipe from WikiHow!

Watermelon Shell

A watermelon shell can be put to a lot of uses, but my favorite of them is making a bowl for a festive fruit salad. If you are hosting a party or heading to a potluck cookout, this simple idea is easy yet impressive! Head to Cooks.com for some recipe ideas.

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor
3 hardcore rules I follow:

1. i don't use wet brines...i season (rub) the meat a day or two b4 cooking.

2. learn how to properly brown butter...and how to use it as a "flavoring" and not just a fat.

3. de-germ your garlic & puree it with a good olive oil & a healthy dose of salt...it will keep for months or you can freeze it.

Sent using the Samsung G-Note

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
I'd get my ass handed to me by da chef or sous chef/chef de partie if I was seen trying to prep some mushrooms that I haven't washed off yet. Some of those "tips" are iffy.

You're supposed to wipe them with a damp cloth, brush the gills if they look dirty. The larger field mushrooms are more absorbent. Dunking them in water or faucet = crappy mushrooms for sautees.

If you're using them in a soup, I guess it's fine.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
I don't brine my poultry, and it comes out tender and juicy. It's unnecessary work.

three-fifths

searching for the remaining 143,999
Platinum Member
'Just because it reads Organic, doesn’t mean the nutritional content differs from a non-organic product'.

i read that non-organic produce contains 33% less nutrients.

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
'Just because it reads Organic, doesn’t mean the nutritional content differs from a non-organic product'.

i read that non-organic produce contains 33% less nutrients.

And another thing about "organic" it doesn't mean it taste better or you're getting quality (depends on the farmer). It just means it's clean. Shitty farmers make shitty produce.

Coldplay

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't brine my poultry, and it comes out tender and juicy. It's unnecessary work.

It is unnecessary for most cooking methods. However if you're smoking a chicken or turkey brining will produce better results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
D9Sll.jpg

1410.jpg

More Tips:

For bananas to last longer, take them apart after purchasing them. They tend to ripen faster if left connected at the stem.

Preserve an abundance of lemons and limes by squeezing the juice into ice cube trays and saving the frozen juice for later. This trick works great for lemonades! Simply use them as ice cubes to keep the lemony flavor while staying cold.

Add a teaspoon of water when frying ground beef to help pull the grease away from the meat.

Wrap celery in aluminum foil before refrigerating, it will keep for weeks.

Add garlic immediately to a recipe if you want a light taste of garlic. If you want a stronger taste add it at the end.

Keep your leftover pizza nice and crispy by heating it on a nonstick skillet on top of the stove set to med-low heat until warm.

To warm biscuits, pancakes or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food moist and help it reheat faster.

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
DIY Kale Chips! Plus, A Whopping 10 Flavor Options

Something healthy to start the New Year! (not all the flavorings are healthiest, still healthier then chips)

kaleingredients.jpg

Base Ingredients:
1 bunch kale, washed and dried (crucial step!)
1 tbsp olive oil

Flavor Variations:
Soy & Sesame: 2 tbsp soy sauce + 1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
Salt & Vinegar: 1 quarter cup sherry vinegar + 2 tsp fine salt
Lime & Chili: Juice of 1 lime + 1 tsp lime zest + 2 tsp chili powder
Seasoned Lemon: 2 tbsp Annie's Naturals Lemon Chive Salad Dressing + juice of 1 lemon + 1 tsp black pepper
Balsamic Vinaigrette: 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar + 1 tbsp Dijon mustard + 2 tsp Herbes de Provence
Roasted Garlic: 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped + 3 tsp garlic salt
Creamy Dill: 1 tbsp sour cream mixed with base olive oil + 3 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
Roasted Chicken (don't hate, ask the UK!): 1 chicken bullion cube dissolved into 1/4 cup water
Extra Cheese: 2 tbsp Parmesan or Asiago cheese. Half mixed in the bag, half sprinkled on before baking.
French Onion: 1 packet (or two tbsp) french onion dip or soup mix, combine with olive oil.

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 300. Pour base ingredients into a large Ziplock bag.

kale1.jpg

Step 2: Pour flavor ingredients in, and shake/smoosh until they're relatively combined.

kale2.jpg

Step 3: Remove kale stems, and chop into large-bite-sized pieces (they'll shrink a bit while baking). Put the kale in the bag — don't press the air out.

kale3.jpg

Step 4: Shake, shake, shake then turn it upside down and shake some more.

kale4.jpg

Step 5: Once the chips are evenly coated, open the bag a bit and press air out. Re-seal, and now massage the kale through the bag. This will help the tough leaves take the flavor.

kale5.jpg

Step 6: Lay kale on a lined baking sheet (or one that's sprayed lightly with cooking spray). Pop 'em in the oven for 30 minutes or until crisp!

kale6.jpg

kalefinal.jpg

Original artcle: http://www.refinery29.com/kale-chips?page=1