Racial discrimination can affect adolescents’ development

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
Racial discrimination can affect adolescents’ development
September 14, 2006 - Racial discrimination in the lives of African-American children can lead to depression and behavior problems in adolescence, but teens who have had close relationships with their parents, friendships focused on positive pursuits and good schooling experiences are less likely to experience these negative effects. That finding comes from a study published in the September/October issue of the journal Child Development.

Researchers from the University of Georgia in Athens, the University of California-Davis and Iowa State University in Ames set out to evaluate the psychological adjustment of 714 African-American children. The children and their primary caregivers, usually the mothers, were personally interviewed in the home three times over a five-year period, beginning when the children were 10 to 12 years old. The study is part of a larger, ongoing joint project, the Family and Community Health Study, conducted with support from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH).

The children were interviewed about any racial discrimination they saw directed towards themselves and those close to them, feelings of depression, engagement in antisocial behavior and extent to which their friends expected and encouraged positive behavior. The children and their mothers were also interviewed about the mothers’ parenting practices and the children’s school experiences.

The researchers found that children whose experience with racially based insults, name calling and distrust increased as they moved into adolescence were more likely to report symptoms of depression, such as feeling irritable, having difficulty sleeping and having trouble concentrating in school. Boys were also more likely to become involved in antisocial behavior such as fighting and shoplifting.

“The outlook was brighter, though, for children whose homes, friends, and schools protected them from discrimination’s negative influences,” said lead researcher Gene H. Brody, PhD, Regents’ Professor and Director of the Center for Family Research at the University of Georgia. “Children whose parents stayed involved in their lives, kept track of their whereabouts, treated them with warm affection and communicated clearly with them were less likely to develop problems due to their experiences with discrimination.”

He and his colleagues found similar outcomes for children whose friends encouraged them to take part in positive pursuits, such as helping out at home and becoming involved with community activities, and for those who performed well at school and had good relationships with their teachers.

Society for Research in Child Development

brightsurf.com

nittie

Star
Registered
Any child who focuses on the past, his fucked up childhood, basically feeling sorry for himself will have developmental problems whether it's from racial prejudice, being bullied in school or not getting enough attention from mom and dad, kids have to grow up and take control of their lives..pointblank.

Greed

Star
Registered
actually, this is just more ignored proof that the family is the strongest survival tool the black community has.

we need a war against the "war on family" in this country.

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
Greed said:
actually, this is just more ignored proof that the family is the strongest survival tool the black community has.

100% truth

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
Greed said:

Co-sign.

It is the family that is the principal support for children. Kids need balance in their lives and can have a really tough time navagating life without a family core.

-VG

nittie said:
Any child who focuses on the past, his fucked up childhood, basically feeling sorry for himself will have developmental problems whether it's from racial prejudice, being bullied in school or not getting enough attention from mom and dad, kids have to grow up and take control of their lives..pointblank.

Cosign 100%. Makk is just another uneducated, self-righteous, self-serving, selfish, angry [hide]nigg(er)[[/hide] blaming white people for "holding blacks down". People like him are useless compared to today's black professionals.

He and his kind are the new mexicans set to serve the progressive black folks who stop blaming others for our situation and did something to change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
QueEx said:
Please read the RULES OF THE BOARD. Name calling and especially use of the "N" word is absolutely prohibited.

QueEx

Are you kidding me? All the shit and abuse Makkonnen dishes out on this board. All the insults this lowlife has said about me and my family. He's been posting my pic and address and wishing death on my love ones, and you quote me about rules when I retaliate? Are you all so smitten with Makk that you overlook his bulling other members? I cant believe this.

Last edited:

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
Mickey Spillane said:
Cosign 100%. Makk is just another uneducated, self-righteous, self-serving, selfish, angry [hide]nigg(er)[[/hide] blaming white people for "holding blacks down". People like him are useless compared to today's black professionals.

He and his kind are the new mexicans set to serve the progressive black folks who stop blaming others for our situation and did something to change it.
tell us about how u killed yourself and turned into your sister and how something like that would effect a black professional like yourself while performing your hacker, security guard, nursing, nyu psych student duties

Silly Blowmans how does your raping of other men serve progressive black folks?

(those are all things he has claimed to have done or be under his 10+ usernames)

Nikki are you in there? (nikki is his half black half asian sister personality)

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
Mickey Spillane said:
Are you kidding me? All the shit and abuse Makkonnen dishes out on this board. All the insults this lowlife has said about me and my family. He's been posting my pic and address and wishing death on my love ones, and you quote me about rules when I retaliate? Are you all so smitten with Makk that you overlook his bulling other members? I cant believe this.
i dont even know this person's identity although his picture is circulating thanks to others
you dont have a family billy blowtrans, remember youre on parole and you're waiting in an alley to rape leroy soupnuts and youre also flying to atlanta to kill me and my family :lol:

it was better when u killed yourself all those times

Disanddat

Support BGOL
Registered
nittie said:

Come on man ,they are still kids. It is even hard as adults to let go of the past much less a 10 or 12 year old kids especially if they don't have that family base.
I am not saying you are wrong, in fact you can't be since it is true that everyone needs to take control of their life, but I get the sense that you feel any sympathy for those who lose their way.

nittie

Star
Registered
Come on man ,they are still kids. It is even hard as adults to let go of the past much less a 10 or 12 year old kids especially if they don't have that family base.
I am not saying you are wrong, in fact you can't be since it is true that everyone needs to take control of their life, but I get the sense that you feel any sympathy for those who lose their way

Sympathy might not be what I feel for them. More like frustration. Honestly I don't know what you call it when you see negative, destructive behavior that can be changed but it isn't. I do know I have spent time and money trying to change friends and family caught up in the cyle and it didn't work.

“The outlook was brighter, though, for children whose homes, friends, and schools protected them from discrimination’s negative influences,”

Maybe in a perfect world. In the real world this don't happen too often you have to adapt and fend for yourself, survival of the fittest.

jucurious

agent of change
BGOL Investor
EVERYTHING can affect a child's development...how its processed is key.

hopefully that child will go home and share their experience with their parent(s) and their parent(s) will help them sort through what they experienced. (or another adult...or even wiser peer)

if you COMPLETELY protect your child from racial discrimination, they will be in for a RUDE awakening and may not be able to handle it when you can no longer protect them and they do experience it.

in my household, we talked about race like the weather. i heard so pro black things, anti white things, anti black things..all of that BUT it wasn't something that was hidden from me. luckily i had a wide range of people to talk to about racial issues which allowed me to be more well rounded as a child until I was able to start making my own opinions and doing my own research

:yes::yes::yes:

I wonder how the tests differed for kids raised in single/dual/shared custody households

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Man this is something I've always wondered about. Even seeing my sisters kids grow up and learn about racism. There's really no way to safe guard your kids from it. But my sister stays pretty involved in there lives to see them in the right direction.