...paging Cranrab...(Part 2)

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
We can't rebound.

read on for G2 comments by rick fox:

June 9, 2008

BOSTON -- For three days, the Lakers heard about how they had to come out with more aggression in Game 2, be more physical.

That they were, but their emphasis was misplaced. The key to being physical in a game, effectively physical, is to do so away from the ball. You can be physical changing ends of the court. You can be physical when a guy tries to move from one spot to the next. You can be physical when a guy makes his cuts.

What I saw too much of, however, was the Lakers being physical on the ball and that's the wrong place because that's where you get called for it by the officials.

Sure enough, in the first half, the Celtics shot 19 free throws, the Lakers two. That put the Lakers in a hole from which they couldn't quite recover in losing 108-102.

Surprises on the scoring sheet: For the Lakers, despite falling behind by 24, they were only out-rebounded by one, 37-36.

not to beat a dead euro chucker, but people need to start looking elsewhere (besides the frontcourt) for the problems. the frontcourt is holding their own.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
..and from the "I told you so" section of the newspapers:

Phil Jackson Will Not Be Fined
Jun 10, 2008 10:54 AM EST

Lakers' Coach Phil Jackson will not be fined for the critical comments he made about the officiating in Game Two on Sunday, according to The Los Angeles Daily News.

Boston shot 38 foul shots in Game Two against just 10 for Los Angeles.

"I'm more struck at the fact that Leon Powe gets more foul shots than our whole team does in 14 minutes of play. That's ridiculous," Jackson said. "You can't play from a deficit like that that we had in that half, 19 to 2 in the first half in situations like that. I've never seen a game like that in all these years I've coached in The Finals. Unbelievable."

Let's see if his working of the refs gets the job done tonight..

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
another "I told you so" moment:

"No question -- Kobe has the most pressure," said former Lakers great Jerry West, a mentor to Kobe.

Is that fair? Of course not. But not much in Kobe's brilliant but oft-criticized career has been.

Lamar Odom has been a no-show against the Celtics. Pau Gasol's interior presence has been especially Charmin-esque. The Lakers' bench, thought to be one of the team's significant strengths, has been a complete non-factor.

I'm going to vent for a hot second..

*ahem*

GEEET the FUCK out of here with that shit. This nigga wanted to be the franchise player, so stop making excuses for him. They give him every praise in the book, now you have to eat some of the blame too.

Now you went to blaming this on Odom (as I predicted.) What's next? Why don't you blame the hole in the ozone while you're at it?

If the Lakers lose, the media (led by Stern and his gestapo) will blame EVERYTHING except the fact that they were outplayed. GOD forbid this turtle-headed nigga be liable for anything.

NOW you want to use the excuse of, "the officials are fucking up the game." How many times has the "second coming of Jordan, Malone, Maravich, etc.." been bailed out? Stop showing those bitch made tendencies and play.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
another "I told you so" moment:

I'm going to vent for a hot second..

*ahem*

GEEET the FUCK out of here with that shit. This nigga wanted to be the franchise player, so stop making excuses for him. They give him every praise in the book, now you have to eat some of the blame too.

Now you went to blaming this on Odom (as I predicted.) What's next? Why don't you blame the hole in the ozone while you're at it?

If the Lakers lose, the media (led by Stern and his gestapo) will blame EVERYTHING except the fact that they were outplayed. GOD forbid this turtle-headed nigga be liable for anything.

NOW you want to use the excuse of, "the officials are fucking up the game." How many times has the "second coming of Jordan, Malone, Maravich, etc.." been bailed out? Stop showing those bitch made tendencies and play.

They'll never blame Wobe for any of the problems going on. It's all a media conspiracy :rolleyes:

One thing I saw first hand in Game 2, when the lakers were getting their ass handed to them, was that Wobe was trying hard to get thrown out of the game. Why would a "franchise" player try his hardest to get tossed out of a championship series just because he didn't "like the way the team played"? :confused:

And as predicted, when the lakers make their miraculous run to cut the deficit to a single possession, look who gets the majority of the credit. It's really funny.

:lol: @ Curt Schilling's blog, by the way.

I also read an article that blasted Schilling for writing it and questioning his ability and integrity as an athlete. If I can remember where I saw it, I'll post it in here.

tp2001

Star
Registered
They'll never blame Wobe for any of the problems going on. It's all a media conspiracy :rolleyes:
And as predicted, when the lakers make their miraculous run to cut the deficit to a single possession, look who gets the majority of the credit. It's really funny.

On the main board, I blasted Mark Jackson for his bullshit in Game 3.

This is why the NBA Finals should be on TNT (but keep Harlan and Collins out of it) because their commentators are a lot better...I swear if I hear any more butt kissing by those guys, I'm hitting the mute button.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Can yall admit that I'm right now?

I said the Lakers won't win unless Odom has a good game. Check
I said the Lakers would win a game because of Kobe having a big night. Check
I said the Lakers would win a game because the officials would fuck them. Check

Those two fouls on K.G. were BULL SHIT..

I'm calling it now. I see the Celtics winning Game 5 and the Lakers winning Game 6 in Boston..

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
lamar odom has to be SO happy that mitch kupchak went out and got him some help this year.

see what happens when the euro chucker doesn't shoot and the fakers with ACTUAL talent get to play?

tp2001

Star
Registered
Can yall admit that I'm right now?

I said the Lakers won't win unless Odom has a good game. Check
I said the Lakers would win a game because of Kobe having a big night. Check
I said the Lakers would win a game because the officials would fuck them. Check

Those two fouls on K.G. were BULL SHIT..

I'm calling it now. I see the Celtics winning Game 5 and the Lakers winning Game 6 in Boston..

You know, right before the game I thought that if the Lakers were gonna win Game 4, that it would be close to a blowout with the refs helping them out...That's why even though I still have Boston in 6, the NBA is trying their damnedest to extend this series.

lamar odom has to be SO happy that mitch kupchak went out and got him some help this year.

see what happens when the euro chucker doesn't shoot and the fakers with ACTUAL talent get to play?

exactly. the chucker has just what, 4 points?

I wonder if the Celtics will make a comeback in this game like the Lakers made their "comeback" in Game 2...

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
I wonder if the Celtics will make a comeback in this game like the Lakers made their "comeback" in Game 2...

I think so, but the refs have imposed their will on this game.

What I am wondering is if Doc Rivers will complain about the calls at the press conference and if he will get fined if he does.

Rollie = Sam 'Ace' Rothstein (w/o the ugly pink suits)

Last edited:

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I wonder of this is enough evidence that the Lakers play much better when Kobe doesn't hijack the offense.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Not since the Roy Jones gold-medal screw job in 88 or the video that I saw of the Emmitt Till trial have I ever seen such biased officiating..:smh:

..or maybe Game 2.

Anyway, after that ass-whooping, the Cs are not in that bad of a hole. I did notice that Kobe has three fouls. That is something to consider. If the Celtics win this game, it will be because Kobe hi-jacked the offense again.

tp2001

Star
Registered
I wonder of this is enough evidence that the Lakers play much better when Kobe doesn't hijack the offense.

More than enough evidence...

All they have to do is have Fisher handle the ball and get Odom and Gasol in the game early...

Shit, they'd be better without Phony on the team altogether

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
Battered Calif. fan dreams of trip to Hub
By Laura Crimaldi
Saturday, June 14, 2008 - Updated 3h ago

LOS ANGELES - A die-hard Celtics fanatic who was viciously attacked by a mob of Lakers fans in a melee captured on video and watched thousands of times on YouTube.com is desperately trying to get to Boston for what he hopes will be a victory rally.

“It’s my dream to go Boston,” said Gabriel Mendivil, 33, of San Bernardino, in his only interview since the attack. “How the hell am I going to get there for the parade?”

Mendivil, a lifelong Celts fan, was wearing a Larry Bird jersey with an Antoine Walker jersey hanging around his neck when he was set upon by a thuggish Laker fan Sunday night at the “Lakers Home Court Advantage” broadcast at the Staples Center of Game 2, playing out at the Garden in Boston.

The trouble started when one Laker fan took Mendivil’s Walker jersey and threw it into the stands. A good-hearted Laker fan returned the jersey, enraging the crowd with his gesture.

“Another guy gave it back and they got mad,” said Mendivil, who defended the Laker fan who returned his jersey. “I said, ‘Hey, you know, what you guys tripping me for?’ That’s when they started coming at me.”

A pack of Laker fans rushed at Mendivil. “When the melee started, I was just thinking, ‘How can I get to the Lakers floor so I can get out of here?’ ” said Mendivil, a forklift operator.

“I must be MacGyver. I escaped the clutches of death with bubble gum,” he said.

One fan, wearing a Kobe Byrant jersey, threw a folding chair at Mendivil’s head. “I remember them throwing it at me,” he said. “It gave me a little cut on my head.” He also got a shiner on his right eye and scratches on a hand.

One of Mendivil’s suspected assailants was arrested two days later as Game 3 ticket-holders were filing into the Staples Center, said Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Sergio Diaz.

Among those filing into the center was Armando Talamantes, 30, of Rosemead, Calif., who was there without a ticket.

When another Laker fan asked him if he saw the fight posted on YouTube, Talamantes bragged about his role, Diaz said.

According to Diaz, Talamantes said: “I’m the guy who threw the chair at that (expletive).”

The LAPD detained Talamantes and the man he was with and later arrested him. He is charged with assault with a deadly weapon, battery, brandishing a weapon and other charges, Diaz said.

He was arraigned Thursday and was ordered held on $30,000 bail.

Mendivil, who grew up watching the Celtics at the knee of his grandmother, Celestina Villarroel, 86, said it would mean the world to him to see the C’s win a 17th NBA title tomorrow night.

“That would be a dream - I’d feel like a little kid again,” said Mendivil, who has never been to the Hub. He watches the Celtics on TV and always attends their West Coast games.

Reflecting on the Staples ruckus, he said: “If I could go to Boston, could I just pack my bags and stay there?”

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
The dwindling international star
HoopsHype.com NBA Blogs - Peter May

June 28, 2008 @ 10:14 am · Filed under Andrea Bargnani, Andrei Kirilenko, Danilo Gallinari, Danny Ainge, Darko Milicic, Fran Vazquez, Kevin Garnett, Manu Ginobili, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Pau Gasol, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Sasha Vujacic, Tiago Splitter, Vassilis Spanoulis :lol::lol::lol:

In his first five years on the job as the man in charge of basketball operations for the Boston Celtics, Danny Ainge made so many trips to Europe he could have arranged for dual citizenship in any number of countries.

This year, he didn’t go at all.

It’s not that the Celtics didn’t scout international players; Ainge is a big fan of the Knicks’ draftee, Danilo Gallinari, having seen him in the flesh many times as well as on tape. But in Ainge’s opinion, the just-concluded NBA draft wasn’t exactly overflowing with jaw-dropping international talent.

“I think it’s deep not with star-type players, but with a lot of role players,’’ he said. “And I think a lot of them will make the league.”

And a lot of them will probably stay exactly where they are.

It may be simplistic to suggest that the bloom is off the international rose, but a number of happenings, including the just-concluded NBA Finals, have managed to at least put a hold on the NBA’s fascination with all things international. Or, we should add, with the NBA teams’ fascination. David Stern can still tell you how many daily hits nba.com gets from the most remote stretches of Slovenia.

The NBA and basketball observers everywhere have been consumed by the international game for awhile, but things really got serious after Argentina took apart the United States at the 2002 World Championships. Since then, US teams of NBA stars have been beaten in major international competitions by Spain, Yugoslavia, Puerto Rico, Lithuania, Argentina (again) and Greece.

But with few exceptions (Manu Ginobili, Pau Gasol pre-2008 Finals) those teams did not possess NBA “star-type” players (to quote Ainge) and won mainly because of their teamwork. They were the epitome of the tired but true cliché: the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. They knew each other and played like it. Lithuania did have an unquestioned European star in Sarunas Jasikevicius, but he bombed big-time when tried to make the jump across the pond.

Greece didn’t even have an NBA player on its team, unless you count Vassilis Spanoulis, who sat on the Houston bench for a year, was traded to San Antonio, and then went back to Europe. He may be one of the few players in NBA history to buy his way out of his contract. Usually, it’s the team that does that.

Gallinari was the sixth pick in the draft and the only international player in the top 19. (Somewhere, Dick Vitale and Lou Dobbs are smiling.) Among the other first-rounders taken, virtually all of them had a biographical attachment saying “expected to remain in Europe for more seasoning.”

If Gallinari becomes one of those “star-type” players, he will be the first international All-Star out of the NBA draft in six years. That was the year that Yao Ming went No. 1 overall and he has proven to be well worth the time, money and energy the Rockets expended to get him to the United States.

By that time, players like Dirk Nowitzki (9th overall in 1998) and Gasol (3rd overall in 2001) had proven to be “star-type” players; Gasol was the Rookie of the Year in 2002 and Nowitzki won the league’s MVP in 2007. Ginobili would prove to be a key part of the 2003 NBA champion Spurs a year later.

But a more revealing pick in 2002 came just four spots after Yao. With players like Caron Butler and Amare Stoudemire on the board, the Denver Nuggets selected Nikoloz Tskitishvili. He was reputed to be the next Gasol. Oh well.

Then came the classic goof made by the otherwise astute Joe Dumars, who took Darko Milicic in 2003 over the likes of Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony and Dwayne Wade. Yes, the Pistons won the NBA title that year without much from young Darko, but you get the feeling they might have won another (or two) had Dumars taken any of the other three fellows that fateful June night?

You also get the feeling the Orlando Magic might be further along had they not completely blown the 2005 draft by using a lottery pick on Fran Vazquez, who has yet to play a single NBA minute and quite possibly never will?

Out of all the Europeans drafted since 2003 – and almost 30 of them were first rounders from 2003-2007 – there have been only a few who have had any discernable impact in the league. And that includes the No. 1 overall pick in 2006, Italian Andrea Bargnani. The best thing the Raptors can say about him now is that with the addition of Jermaine O’Neal, Bargnani can go back to the bench. He may eventually become worthy of his draft selection, but, to date, he hasn’t. And the Bucks had one year to look at Yi Jianlian, the No. 6 pick in 2007, and traded him. Eventually, he, too, might become a star.

What do we make of all this? First, the NBA may have exhausted the immediate talent overseas and needs to wait for another cycle. Second, it’s no longer a stigma for some of these players to not play in the NBA. Jasikevicius is happy where he is. Vazquez, presumably, is as well, along with Spanoulis, who was so homesick in Houston even with his mother living with him. Tiago Splitter is likely to remain in Spain where he can be paid more than what the Spurs can offer him. And in Euros.

But here’s another possibility, which we saw first-hand in the NBA Finals. Most of these international players don’t play defense. (Andrei Kirilenko being the notable exception). That doesn’t necessarily constitute news, or a dirty little secret, but it was painfully obvious to anyone who paid more than casual attention to the NBA Finals.

One of the enduring snapshots from that series was when Ray Allen, who had played the entire game, blew by a bewildered Sasha Vujacic for an uncontested layup in the final minute to seal the remarkable come-from-behind win for the Celtics. Vujacic could be seen holding his hands up as if to say, ‘what happened?’ Similarly, Vladimir Radmanovic was a total cipher and couldn’t stay near Paul Pierce while Gasol appeared overwhelmed most of the series, a performance that undoubtedly drew a lot of chuckles in Memphis.

In the balloting for the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year award, Kirilenko was the only international player to get a vote. He got one. When the coaches picked their 2008 All-Defensive team, 36 players got votes. Three – Kirilenko, Ginobili and Andres Nocioni – got votes and none was close to making either of the two teams.

Defense was behind the success of the Spurs over the years. (And no, Tony Parker can’t guard his shadow, but he has been drilled relentlessly by Gregg Popovich into how to play a team concept.) This year’s Celtics’ team, which had no international players, won with its defense. But how many Kevin Garnetts are out there, even in the United States?

NBA executives will still spend and scout extensively overseas for, as we’ve seen in ever NBA draft, it’s a good futures pool. They’re not going to suddenly turn into hoop xenophobes and, as noted, the jury is still out on players like Bargnani and Yi.

But how many more teams need to win a title, like this year’s Celtics, before teams start talking about defense the way they do about offense? No one is talking about Gallinari’s defense - and his new coach in New York isn’t exactly known for it either. And to top it off, the poor kid got booed when he was announced to the New York fans attending the 2008 NBA draft at Madison Square Garden.

What else could he expect from the team that drafted Frederic Weis?

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
bump not only for a great thread, but also to remind BGOL of the serious whack jobs that are fakers fans.

check the post from the multi-username "eyeamhorus".

:eek:

:smh:

and people think i need mental help.

:lol:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
Andrew Bynum: Kobe stunted my play

funny how these dudes print shit AFTER i been saying it for the longest.

but more in my next reply.

By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Andrew Bynum played seven seasons with Kobe Bryant as his teammate before being traded to the Philadelphia 76ers this summer. He shared success with his fellow prep-to-pros product, making three NBA Finals, winning two championships and even both being named All-Stars last season.

But by the end of his time in L.A., Bynum felt that Bryant's ball-dominant ways hurt his development as one of the league's best centers.

"I thought it really helped me a lot obviously at first, because he draws so much attention it's hard for guys to double team and key on you, so it helped me tremendously," Bynum told a group of L.A. reporters before the Lakers played the Sixers on Sunday. "Later, I felt I was able to get the ball more and do more things with the ball, so I could definitely see how it could stunt growth."

Bryant, who said he met with Bynum for 3-4 minutes after he put up 34 points in the Lakers' 111-98 win over the Sixers, was not offended by his former teammate's remarks. In fact, he agreed with them.

"For sure, because when you're playing with me you obviously have to sacrifice something," Bryant said. "Same thing with me and Shaq (Shaquille O'Neal). You kind of off-set each other to a certain extent. So, I mean, that's true. When he gets back and he's healthy, he'll come out here and he'll be the focal point of their attack and he'll be getting the ball more and you'll see big games from him more consistently."

Bryant was very supportive of Bynum in his comments, calling the 7-footer "really a special player at both ends of the floor." The only pot shot Bryant took was over Bynum's combed-down afro coif, saying, "I don't know what he's doing with that perm, but I guess he's a trendsetter."

Despite the hair and the fact that he hasn't logged a minute with his new team yet because of knee problems, Bynum still has a very high opinion of where he currently ranks among the game's big men.

"Personally I think they traded No. 1 for No. 2," Bynum said, referring to the Lakers acquiring the 27-year-old Dwight Howard as the major part of the four-team exchange that landed him in Philly.

The 25-year-old Bynum warned that Howard will have to get used to the balancing act of playing alongside Bryant.

"I think Dwight is a great player, but he's going to have to get accustomed to playing with Kobe and not touching the ball every single play," Bynum said.

Of course, Howard is getting the chance to make those adjustments by being on the court. He hasn't missed a game all season after undergoing back surgery in the offseason. Bynum, meanwhile, has yet to suit up for the Sixers but sounded optimistic about his health on Sunday.

"Actually I'm feeling better and the pain is down in both knees, which is good," Bynum said. "But there could be something floating around in there."

Bynum has an MRI scheduled for Thursday in New York City to examine both of his knees. He said his right knee has improved considerably, but he is still feeling discomfort in his left one.

"The update really is I'm feeling much better, I would say, than the initial state of injury," Bynum said, detailing how he has been able to add shooting drills to his rehab process. "When I see the doctor, hopefully I will be cleared for impact."

Bynum has yet to be able to run, however.

"I'm going to have to work extremely hard to get back into form," said Bynum who also revealed that he wasn't sure if his offseason trip to Germany to receive Orthokine therapy helped him or hurt him. "Obviously I've been off for quite some time now. It's kind of ridiculous. But I'm just looking forward to getting back on the treadmill and running for the first time this entire summer."

Bynum could still not pinpoint the exact stress that caused his knees to become hurt in the offseason, noting that whatever happened came during his regular offseason training regimen.

"I don't think it was avoidable," Bynum said. "I just think it's something I have to go through."

While Bynum has been sidelined, he's paid attention to the struggles of his former team. However, the only teammate he's kept in touch with is Pau Gasol, and he also hasn't spoken to Howard since the trade.

"They're just struggling," Bynum said of the Lakers' 10-14 start to the season. "They got injuries and they're not posting the ball, so, that's tough too."

Bynum wasn't done there.

"They got to make a commitment to defense, No. 1, and No. 2, I think they're going to have to post the ball within a system that's going to do that," he said. "Obviously the talent is there to win a championship from a starter's point of view, anyway. I think they struggle a little bit off the bench, so that kind of hurts, too."

Bynum said he has "no regrets" about the path that led him out of L.A. He added "my time is done there" and that the location of where he plays isn't as important to him as him being healthy enough to allow him to play.

"It doesn't really matter to me where I play as long as I get to," Bynum said.

The Lakers play the Sixers again New Year's Day, so it is very unlikely Bynum will get the opportunity to play against the only other team he's played for in his eight-year career.

"You want to play against your old team always," Bynum said. "It's just a shame. I don't know when I'll be back. I guess I'm just excited to play any game at this point."

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
as was pointed out in the article, tobe agreed with andrew bynum's assessment.

the reason why i posted this 2 part reply is mainly because of what followed after he ESPN article was published. the typical homotional backlash toward andrew bynum, EVEN THOUGH TOBE AGREED.

for example,

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ant-stunted-his-development-is-flat-out-false

and THIS is proof positive of why tobe stans cannot be taken seriously in any basketball related discussion. their claims have no merit, as they are biased beyond any measure of reason.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
That's why I wish that crazy ninja was still on the Lakers. He was doing all that crazy shit in response to Kobe, but milk dud didn't have the balls to even try and stop Bean.

Now Dykeman Tony is coaching the team and he doesn't give two shits what Bean does as long as he gets paid. They will dump Gasol, D-12 will shake the spot and Nash will retire like Malone after he gets Vanessa to suck his dick. :lol::lol:

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
That's why I wish that crazy ninja was still on the Lakers. He was doing all that crazy shit in response to Kobe, but milk dud didn't have the balls to even try and stop Bean.

this why i laugh at most of the responses i get.

i put shit down in black and white going YEARS back, and you can see skeptics saying shit like "do you have a link?"

and then when the shit comes out down the line, not a peep.

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
this is as good a time as any to point out something else.

after 3 years out of the NBA, michael jordan returned to professional basketball at age 38.

he played in 60 games, and the washington wizards went 30-30 (.500) in those 60 games.

in his first 25 games, the washington wizards were 14-11 (.560)

michael jordan's starting teammates were most often:

chris whitney
hubert davis/richard hamilton
ronald jones/christian laettner
jahidi white

the fakers with tobe after 25 games are 11-14 (.440)

whose supporting cast is better?

what's the excuse now?

cranrab

Star
BGOL Investor
footnote to above.

the 30-30 record of games where michael jordan played is +11 Ws over the previous season. an obvious improvement.

what was the record of the washington wizards in the games where michael jordan did not play?

7-15 (.318)

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
this is as good a time as any to point out something else.

after 3 years out of the NBA, michael jordan returned to professional basketball at age 38.

he played in 60 games, and the washington wizards went 30-30 (.500) in those 60 games.

in his first 25 games, the washington wizards were 14-11 (.560)

michael jordan's starting teammates were most often:

chris whitney
hubert davis/richard hamilton
ronald jones/christian laettner
jahidi white

the fakers with tobe after 25 games are 11-14 (.440)

whose supporting cast is better?

what's the excuse now?

I blame the gays...