Ortiz-Peterson, Khan-Maidana

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
This has to be a top contender for FOTY. Kahn showed some great skills and a good chin against a guy he didn't have to fight. But Maidana seems to feel no pain (except for that body shot) he just doesn't seem to care. He is in full on predator mode at all times. Maidana is not the guy you want to meet up with in a bar fight, he almost seems to hunt you! Great fight! Need a rematch asap!

And I don't think Kahn was referring to fasting for Ramadan as the reason he got knocked down, he was referring to the fact that he fought (worked) during a holy time when all other Muslims don't work. He said that he thought that God was punishing him for "working" during Ramadan.

I agree Kahn gets props for going after Maidana when a lot of Boxers are bitch made these days. I bet they thought it was going to be an easier fight then it was though.

By the way, Muslims do work during Ramadan so that doesn't make any sense to me...

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Oh word. Good. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

This was a damn good fight. Im surprised Maidana got up from that body shot in the 2nd. Khan dominated early and then Maidana come on strong for 2-3 rounds up until the 7th. I think Khan was just getting worn down because Maidana just never stops moving forward. Then Khan was getting stuck in front of him and kept getting hit by overhand rights and upper cats. I was beginning to question his boxing IQ until he changed his strategy (and maybe got his legs back) and stayed on the outside. I guess at some point, you do have to hold position so fighting inside is unavoidable....Dominated the next 2-3 rounds and then caught that overhand right again in the 10th. Khan gets mad props for getting out of that round without going down. Seriously. Maidana had a chance to really hurt him there.

Great fight...would love to see a rematch.

merce77

Star
Registered
Khan showed IQ in some ways, and in other ways showed his inexperience. He didn't switch up his attack until late. This fight reminded me of Cotto/Margarito in some ways. Khan was doing too much backing up and dancing, he clinched but not enough, he dropped his hands too much. And after the first round - why wasn't he paying most of his attention to the BODY. I mean FUCK, you put the guy down with a beautiful shot. Khan has a long way to go, but I think he can be a star. This also proves my point that a guy with little boxing skill but a great chin, mad heart, determination and will - coupled with dynamite in his hands can give ANY fighter, no matter how talented, trouble on the right night - which is why I never discount guys like Ward or Gatti.

Khan was making alot of the mistakes Cotto did, he kept backing up and trying to dance his way out of trouble, instead of standing his ground and clinching. He was exhausted by the late rounds. But he also showed mad heart and a surprisingly great chin. This fight also proves my point that Freddie Roach is overrated as a trainer. I also see why Roach didn't want Khan to fight Marquez - dude has no defense for the uppercut and punches directly up the middle. Great fight though.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Khan showed IQ in some ways, and in other ways showed his inexperience. He didn't switch up his attack until late.

I believe it was the 6th and 7th round where I was like :confused::confused::smh: what are you doing. Khan was just sitting their eating undercuts repeatedly..but then he came out in the 8th and continue to fight from the outside and dominate with his handspeed.

And after the first round - why wasn't he paying most of his attention to the BODY. I mean FUCK, you put the guy down with a beautiful shot. Khan has a long way to go, but I think he can be a star.

This here.... He completely got away from the body and only in one later...on one round, did he start going at the body again and even after several rounds of not getting hit in that right side, you would see that Maidana was still tender from that 2nd round shot... Khan should have kept working the body.

I agree with the rest of your post..he can be a star....more of a mental thing now...he could be exploited by a couple other elite fighters at 140

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33813

Amir Khan: I Proved Beyond a Doubt That I Have a Chin!

By Kevin Francis, courtesy of The Daily Star

AMIR KHAN has the class to become one of the greatest British fighters of all time.

That was the verdict of his trainer after Khan retained his WBA world light-*welterweight title with a *bruising *unanimous points win over Argentinian hard man Marcos Maidana.

The victory finally erased all doubts about Khan having a *suspect chin – and brought a *supreme accolade from his *trainer Freddie Roach.

American Roach said: “You have had some great British fighters but I do believe he has the *potential to be one of the greatest of all from the UK.

“This was the first step in that direction because he was fighting such a big puncher in Maidana – and Amir showed just what a gutsy battler he is.”

Khan, 24, dug deep against one of the hardest punchers in the *business, surviving a 10th-round flurry of blows that would have seen off many other fighters.

His legs were wobbling after a succession of hits as he fought the most bruising battle of his *career, but he came through.

Roach said: “I definitely think he can become one of the best British fighters of all time, and that includes fighters such as Lloyd Honeyghan and Lennox Lewis.

“He will be the best British fighter of his era, that’s for sure. And I am not the kind of guy to lavish such praise lightly, believe me!”

Roach, who has trained more than 20 world champions, took on Khan two years ago.

That was after the Bolton *bruiser suffered the only defeat of his professional career, a 54-second KO at the hands of *Colombian Breidis *Prescott.

Since then, Khan has won five bouts on the trot and is getting better with every fight, as he showed in a stunning Las Vegas debut.

Roach added: “I had Steve *Collins at one time. Nigel Benn, Naseem Hamed, Ricky Hatton and Lennox Lewis have all flown the flag for Britain and Amir is doing it right now. The new guy on the block is Amir Khan.

“The others had their times. Now it is Amir’s turn and he can dominate British boxing for the next five or six years.

“I believe Khan is the best of his era and when he dominates *someone such as Maidana in the way he did, it certainly makes a few people sit up and open their eyes.

“Everybody was expecting Maidana to land one knockout punch and win the fight but I have never thought his bout would be like that.”

Maidana came into this fight having knocked out 27 of his 29 *victims but Khan was prepared.

“I think I proved beyond any doubt in this fight that I have a chin,” said Khan.

“He was a tough opponent who landed some great shots but I handled the situation.”

Two of the three judges gave Khan the fight 114-111, while the third awarded it to the Brit by the narrower margin of 113-112. WBA world *heavyweight champion David Haye was at ringside and couldn’t speak highly enough of Khan’s courage.

He said: “Amir took some of the biggest shots in the world. He took his best shots and yet he still came back and won the fight.

“It was absolutely amazing. I screamed at him not to fight. I told him ‘use your jab’ but he stood there and went toe-to-toe with him.

“He showed more heart and guts than a lot of people thought he had.

“The training he has been doing with Freddie Roach and the *sparring with Manny Pacquiao – you can see from that he knows how to weather the storm.

“I am not surprised he got through that 10th round. I always hoped the rounds of sparring he did at the Wild Card gym would pay off.

“The guy he was fighting was no chump with a padded-out record. The guy is one of the biggest punchers in world boxing with a 90 per cent KO ratio.

“The guy was tagging him clean but he took them. He showed his toughness and his grit and I am really, really proud of him.”

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33812

Maidana: "I Thought The Ref Was Going To Punch Me"

By Chris LaBate

Junior welterweight Marcos Maidana claims referee Joe Cortez cost him a victory last Saturday at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Madiana had WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan in a lot of trouble in the tenth round. Khan was seriously hurt and taking punishment. Maidana claims Cortez would not allow him to work on the inside to finish Khan off.

"I had him hurt. I was working and he stopped me from working. At one point, I even thought he was going to punch me, the referee," Maidana said.:)lol:)

Maidana said the ref was always warning him during the fight and telling him to "fight clean." He was also also upset with the scoring. Maidana felt the scores were too wide on two of the cards where Khan was given a tally of 114-111.

"He kept telling me to 'fight clean, fight clean' and I was trying to but I thought Amir was holding too much and he wasn't letting me work," Maidana said. "I was a little upset with the scoring, it was a wide margin. I thought it was closer. This is a sport and sometimes that's how it goes. I just have to move on."

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33808

Roach: I Thought About Stopping Amir Khan's Fight

By Mark Vester

According to trainer Freddie Roach, he considered stopping the fight after watching Amir Khan take a lot of punishment from Marcos Maidana in the tenth round of their fight. The bout took place on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Roach spoke to Khan between rounds and felt he was stable enough to continue for the remainder of the fight. Khan went on to retain his WBA junior welterweight title with a close twelve round unanimous decision.

"Throw in the towel?" Roach said. "It did cross my mind, but I spoke to him between the tenth and eleventh rounds and he responded well. His head was clear and he knew where he was at."

Besides his own thoughts, Roach felt the referee, Joe Cortez, was very close to stopping the fight when Maidana was pouring on the power punches in the tenth round.

"It was very close to being stopped by the referee in the tenth when Amir took a lot of shots. But I was very happy we had a good referee in there in Joe Cortez. He didn't get too excited and let the fight go on," Roach said.

To be honest I thought the might have been stopped in the 10th. Khan was taking some clean shot and there were long periods without any punches from Khan.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33779

Maidana vs Bradley/Alexander Loser is Being Considered

By Ryan Burton

Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas - After Amir Khan's close points victory over Marcos Maidana of Argentina, BoxingScene.com caught up with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer to discuss Maidana's future options. Golden Boy co-promotes Maidana along with Universum Boxing.

Schaefer will be looking to match Khan with the Devon Alexander-Tim Bradley
winner at some point in 2011.

When I asked Schaefer for his thoughts on potentially matching Maidana with the loser of the Alexander-Bradley fight, Schaefer told BoxingScene - "I was thinking the exact same thing. The loser will get another appearance on HBO [pursuant to a network agreement]. I think it would be a good fight and worth persuing."

At the post-fight press conference, Schaefer had said that HBO was thrilled with Maidana's performance and wanted him back on the network.

This division is the real deal

str8pimpin86

Support BGOL
Registered
Khan is a "decent" fighter, but he exposed himself just a but too much in front of those other 140 lb fighter, that were present (Bradley, Alexander, Ortiz, and a decent Peterson). What an idiot to pick Maidana as an opponent, and almost get put away in the 10th...not to mention he ran away from the 11th on :smh: Roach wasn't looking too pleased about it. They are blowing Khan up and he is sucking up this fame from Roach and Pacquiao, but he's looking kinda shabby in the ring. Notice how he mocked Pacman's every move in the fight, smh. If Maidana wasn't dog-tired and dead on his feet, then he would've finished Khan in the 10th. Just check Maidana's legs (looking like spaghetti, and how long it took him to get out of the corner. Khan is decent, but he needs to step it up.

merce77

Star
Registered
Khan is a "decent" fighter, but he exposed himself just a but too much in front of those other 140 lb fighter, that were present (Bradley, Alexander, Ortiz, and a decent Peterson). What an idiot to pick Maidana as an opponent, and almost get put away in the 10th...not to mention he ran away from the 11th on :smh: Roach wasn't looking too pleased about it. They are blowing Khan up and he is sucking up this fame from Roach and Pacquiao, but he's looking kinda shabby in the ring. Notice how he mocked Pacman's every move in the fight, smh. If Maidana wasn't dog-tired and dead on his feet, then he would've finished Khan in the 10th. Just check Maidana's legs (looking like spaghetti, and how long it took him to get out of the corner. Khan is decent, but he needs to step it up.

:hmm:I must respectfully disagree.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Khan showed IQ in some ways, and in other ways showed his inexperience. He didn't switch up his attack until late. This fight reminded me of Cotto/Margarito in some ways. Khan was doing too much backing up and dancing, he clinched but not enough, he dropped his hands too much. And after the first round - why wasn't he paying most of his attention to the BODY. I mean FUCK, you put the guy down with a beautiful shot. Khan has a long way to go, but I think he can be a star. This also proves my point that a guy with little boxing skill but a great chin, mad heart, determination and will - coupled with dynamite in his hands can give ANY fighter, no matter how talented, trouble on the right night - which is why I never discount guys like Ward or Gatti.

Khan was making alot of the mistakes Cotto did, he kept backing up and trying to dance his way out of trouble, instead of standing his ground and clinching. He was exhausted by the late rounds. But he also showed mad heart and a surprisingly great chin. This fight also proves my point that Freddie Roach is overrated as a trainer. I also see why Roach didn't want Khan to fight Marquez - dude has no defense for the uppercut and punches directly up the middle. Great fight though.

His way of clinching was grabbing Maidana's right arm and covering his head while Maidana hacked away. He really should learn how to clinch for real.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33812

Maidana: "I Thought The Ref Was Going To Punch Me"

By Chris LaBate

Junior welterweight Marcos Maidana claims referee Joe Cortez cost him a victory last Saturday at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Madiana had WBA junior welterweight champion Amir Khan in a lot of trouble in the tenth round. Khan was seriously hurt and taking punishment. Maidana claims Cortez would not allow him to work on the inside to finish Khan off.

"I had him hurt. I was working and he stopped me from working. At one point, I even thought he was going to punch me, the referee," Maidana said.:)lol:)

Maidana said the ref was always warning him during the fight and telling him to "fight clean." He was also also upset with the scoring. Maidana felt the scores were too wide on two of the cards where Khan was given a tally of 114-111."He kept telling me to 'fight clean, fight clean' and I was trying to but I thought Amir was holding too much and he wasn't letting me work," Maidana said. "I was a little upset with the scoring, it was a wide margin. I thought it was closer. This is a sport and sometimes that's how it goes. I just have to move on."

That's how it is when you have some close rounds. If a judge gives one guy all three or four tight rounds, it makes the margin seem bigger than the actual fight.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
And why is Maidana always pulling on his shorts? Seriously, he was even getting hit sometimes because he hands were down because of fucking with his trunks.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I agree that toughness and power and make up the gap, but lets be real like you said Khan was making a lot of mistakes. Maidana also has a monster chin. Maidana looked as ridiculous as those Rocky movies the way he just ate clean hard punches. With that said, if Khan fought a tighter fight in those middle rounds. It would have been a very different fight.

• Maidana's overhand right could be seen a mile away.
  • There is no reason why someone could lay on you and fully cock back on 4-5 uppercuts in a row.
  • Maidana wasn't even cutting off the ring. Khan would just stop moving and Maidana chased him down.
  • The abandonment of body shots by Khan.
and more.

Last edited:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

To be honest, I think he did expose a lot of mistakes but he also put on a good show and Maidana was the perfect opponent. I mean shit if he took those mean shots from Maidana and didn't go down, what can any of the other 140 pounders do? Outbox a guy with incredible speed, height and reach. Of course, he can be beaten, but he put it out there that it will take a lot more then landing a good shot which was the greatest doubt about Khan.

Plus the bigger problems I saw from Khan aren't rocket science to improve on.

tp2001

Star
Registered
Victor just wasn't trying to fight. He wanted to cruise to a decision but Peterson was willing to fight like a power puncher/slugger to get something going and then fall back on to his boxing skills when Ortiz tried to be the aggressor. I think Lamont was hurting him which is not a good sign because Peterson isn't the biggest puncher and Ortiz was the bigger man. Ortiz might as well run out of the division and try the weaker welter weight division.

:dunno: Maybe Victor took Lamont for granted before the fight...coming in a bit overweight...getting a couple early knockdowns may have gotten Victor to go on cruise mode for the rest of the fight

I wouldn't say this is the FOTY, but I'm drawing a blank on fights that were way better... I think of maybe 2 or 3 at the most this year. Khan came out looking sharp as shit I was about to throw any doubts I had about him out the window, but Maidana is probably one of the toughest son of a bitches, I've seen in a while. Maidana made this a fight for Khan's life and the average boxer wouldn't have made it past the 3rd round the way Khan was fighting in the beginning. I have no clue what the fuck happened, but Khan's sharpness disappeared in those middle rounds

As many here said before, after those body shots by Khan, you would've thought that he would have put out Maidana easy. Yet, by the middle of the fight he never went back to the body. Roy pointed out during the fight that the reason could be that he was leery of the right that would come from Maidana as a counter...And you're on point about Khan's accuracy going down late in the fight...he was not moving around and using the jab and 4 punch combos like he was earlier.

Khan still has some work to do, cause Maidana shouldn't have landed those looping overhand rights or wild uppercuts like he did.

Truth spoken. He needs to work on his guard big time. He must've been starvin by the time of the fight, cause he was eatin uppercuts...Imagine if he was facing Juan Manuel...it wouldn't be good :smh:

It was better than the PPV I've seen this year. I disagree though, I can see ways for Khan and Maidana to beat both Bradley and Alexander. In reality, I think any combination between the four can be a toss up due to styles. Including a rematch of this fight.

Many HBO WCB cards have been better than the PPV ones and IMO have been for a few years. They (promoters, networks) should do a better job of scheduling PPV cards...if they did, the sport would be better off...

Regarding the four fighters and your opinion, you could be right. If Khan can clean up his game a little, he can beat Bradley or Alexander. Same goes for Maidana if he has the same grit that he did this fight...

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
By the way, Muslims do work during Ramadan so that doesn't make any sense to me...

Me either. I'm not familiar with Muslims not working during Ramadan. Who can take a month off?

And why is Maidana always pulling on his shorts? Seriously, he was even getting hit sometimes because he hands were down because of fucking with his trunks.

Yeah, what the fuck was that? I was glad when Khan would punch him when he kept doing it. Focus, little ninja.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Me either. I'm not familiar with Muslims not working during Ramadan. Who can take a month off?

Yeah, what the fuck was that? I was glad when Khan would punch him when he kept doing it. Focus, little ninja.

Roy Jones used to do the exact same thing back at 160 and even 168.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Shit, Roy could pull his shorts off, put them back on again and land a 3 punch combo back then, all while not getting touched with one shot.:lol:

:lol:
There is a big difference between Roy styling on some dude and Maidana, who was in a real battle with Khan.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Truth spoken. He needs to work on his guard big time. He must've been starvin by the time of the fight, cause he was eatin uppercuts...Imagine if he was facing Juan Manuel...it wouldn't be good :smh:

Adding Marquez in the mix since Manny is acting funny again, is making this not only the most stacked division, but the most entertaining.

Last edited:

tp2001

Star
Registered
Adding Marquez in the mix since Manny is acting funny again, is making this not only the most stacked division, but the most entertaining.

And the best part about it is unlike the welterweight division from 07 to 09, this division has it's best fighters facing each other by the middle of 2011. :yes: