Movies Black and White: Children of Men

Garifuna

Star
Registered
When the Matrix was released, there was a little(?) controversy over the ethnicity of the Matrix World vs that of Zion. I often wonder how the movie would have been perceived if Will Smith hadn't turned down the role of Neo.

Today I saw Children of Men, another post-apocalyptic tale. To quote Rotten Tomatoes: In 2027, every woman on earth is infertile. With the loss of their ability to have children, the world has also lost hope. Clive Owen (CLOSER) plays Theo, a Briton attempting to make a life in the hellish world. His estranged wife (Julianne Moore) convinces him to help transport a young woman to safety. When Theo learns that the woman is pregnant, their journey takes on a significance--and a danger--he never imagined.

You might consider the premise either thought-provoking or outlandish. Given the premise, the world's reaction after losing hope seems senseless to me. That is, until I considered the race of the various players. All of a sudden, everything took on new meaning.

I don't want to give my opinions right away. I just want to plant the seed in your minds. There aren't as many Black people in this movie as there were in The Matrix, so you might miss what I saw unless you are paying attention. After a few of you post your reactions, then I'll post mine.

321DH

Potential Star
Registered
i wasnt looking for any message but will watch it again. PM me with you take.

Dert Bagg

Star
Registered
I saw a viscerally post-modern nativity story (released on Christmas Day).

If you want to spark a conversation you have to post your thoughts.
Just warn about *Spoilers* in the thread title or clearly in the body of your post.

Garifuna

Star
Registered
Dert Bagg said:
I saw a viscerally post-modern nativity story (released on Christmas Day).

If you want to spark a conversation you have to post your thoughts.
Just warn about *Spoilers* in the thread title or clearly in the body of your post.
*** SPOILER ***
BELOW

I saw the hope and future of the world in the form of a Black Woman and her baby. I saw a poor Black Man trying to hold on to that future (by any means necessary!), and a rich white man trying to take it away.

I saw a Black woman so confused that she didn't know or care who the father of her baby was. She didn't know what the war was all about.

I saw the white man win.

Last edited: