MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
hdr_sec_nydn_logo.gif

Joe Lieberman begs to keep chair of Homeland Security Committee
BY KENNETH R. BAZINET
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Thursday, November 6th 2008, 9:34 PM

WASHINGTON - Sen. Joe Lieberman pleaded with Democratic bosses Thursday to keep his job as chairman of the Homeland Security Committee after stumping ceaselessly for GOPer John McCain.

It may be too late for Lieberman (I-Conn.), a former Democrat, whose non-stop campaigning for McCain angered President-elect Barack Obama, insiders confirmed to the Daily News.

"You don't run around the country campaigning for McCain and saying you're afraid the Democrats will get a 60-seat [filibuster-proof] majority, and then beg to keep your chairmanship," said a senior Democratic source.

RELATED: DEMOCRAT WINS OREGON SENATE RACE, BRINGS MAJORITY TO 57
Another key Democrat called Lieberman's behavior during the campaign, including an appearance at the Republican National Convention, "overly partisan and very insulting."

Although an independent since he ran under his own banner after losing a Democratic primary race in 2006, Lieberman has caucused with Senate Democrats, giving the party a one-seat majority in the chamber. But that dynamic changed on Election Day, when Democrats increased their majority. They no longer needed an alliance with Lieberman to retain power.

Lieberman groveled at a meeting with Democratic leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), begging to retain his lofty post, sources said. Reid said Lieberman's "comments and actions have raised serious concerns among many in our caucus," and floated the prospect of some type of deal being struck over the next two weeks.

READ ALSO: BUSH CONGRATULATES OBAMA ON ELECTION VICTORY
Lieberman tried to make an appeal to Obama - who had irked his party's left by supporting Lieberman in the 2006 primary - saying, "I completely agree with President-elect Obama that we must now unite to get our economy going again and to keep the American people safe."

With Thomas M. DeFrank
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lieberman knows the democrats have to punish him, not so much for backing McCain, but for supporting down ballot Republican candidates. He also know he deserves some kind of sanction. If he has an ounce of intergrity left he should resign his chairmanship and not force the Dems to oust him. :hmm:

Southpaw

1 of the few blk men on this board
BGOL Investor
It should be taken away from him. He was more concerned with helping McCain win, than being Chairman just a few days ago.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
. . . whats that old adage, he made his bed, now he has to sleep in it ???

QueEx

jeanzy5342

Support BGOL
Registered
Re: fuckinJoe Lieberman begs to keep chair of Homeland Security Committee

Excellent analogy, Lieberman drew the line-in-the-sand a long time ago. He bet on the wrong horse to win and now he must deal with the consequences, personally I hope they BOOT him. :smh:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Excellent analogy, Lieberman drew the line-in-the-sand a long time ago. He bet on the wrong horse to win and now he must deal with the consequences, personally I hope they BOOT him. :smh:

LOL; and they won't let him land now because, the pattern is full

QueEx

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
If Al Gore had chosen John Kerry as his runningmate, not the neo-Republican Lieberman, he would have won the White House... Lieberman is a disaster and the Democrats need to roll the dice; they need to cut his ass out...

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<font size="3">

Today is "D-Day" for Lieberman.

The Democrats Decide toDay.

Liberman was re-elected Senator from Connecticut in 2006 as an Independent but has for the past two years enjoyed the full benefits of membership in the Senate Democratic Caucus. On Tuesday, in a secret ballot vote, the other members of the caucus -- all of whom backed Democrat Barack Obama for president while Lieberman was campaigning for Republican McCain -- will decide whether to deny Lieberman that most significant of those benefits.

QueEx

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor

he probably wont lose shit or lose an insignificant sub-com chair
senate dems are totally fuckin useless cowards

toyracer

International
International Member
Democracy in action: tow the line or we will punish you. So much for individuality, the spirit of bi-partisanhip or reaching across the isle. He may well be better off being a true Independent, especially if the Dems get to 59 and need that one extra vote...

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Ooopps. Looks like you're right.

Democracy in action: tow [sic] the line or we will punish you. So much for individuality, the spirit of bi-partisanhip or reaching across the isle. He may well be better off being a true Independent, especially if the Dems get to 59 and need that one extra vote...
Ooopps. Looks like you're wrong.

QueEx

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><Center>Democrats Let Lieberman Keep Committee Chair</font size></center>

Washington Post
By Paul Kane and Shailagh Murray
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) easily won a vote to remain chairman of a key committee today and will stay in the Democratic caucus despite his high-profile criticism of President-elect Barack Obama and his support of Sen. John McCain during the presidential campaign.

Lieberman agreed to surrender his position on the Environment and Public Works Committee, leaving the panel and his subcommittee chairmanship there. But Lieberman will remain chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee and head of the subcommittee of the Armed Services Committee that oversees air and land power issues.

"This was done in a spirit of reconciliation," Lieberman told reporters after the meeting.

Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said that "Joe Lieberman is a Democrat. He's part of this caucus."

The deal was negotiated by Sens. Christopher Dodd (D-Conn.) and Ken Salazar (D-Colo.), as well as Sens. Tom Carper (D-Del.) and Bill Nelson (D-Fla.). The Democratic caucus voted 42-13 to accept it.

Those voting included the six incoming senators for the 111th Congress. Obama has already resigned his seat and Vice President-elect Joe Biden (D-Del.) was not present.

Some senators had publicly suggested that Lieberman, one of two independents who caucus with Democrats, be stripped of his committee chairmanship for campaigning on behalf of McCain. The committee will have considerable oversight responsibilities in the Obama administration.

Some said privately that the risk of driving Lieberman across the aisle to caucus with Republicans was worth the risk because of the Democrats' increased majority in the next Congress. But Obama endorsed reaching a compromise that would keep Lieberman in the caucus.

In a more than two-hour meeting inside the Old Senate Chamber of the Capitol, where the Missouri Compromise of 1820 was reached, Lieberman offered apologies for some of his remarks during the campaign.

"There are some that I made that I wish I had never made at all," Lieberman said later.

Many Senate Democrats said Lieberman crossed a line during his speech at the Republican National Convention in September, when he called Barack Obama, then the Democratic nominee, "an eloquent young man" who was not prepared to be president. He also came under criticism for supporting the reelection of Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), the ranking minority-party member of the homeland security committee, and defending the work of Sen. Norm Coleman (R-Minn.) on his committee just three weeks before the election.

Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) said the decision "wasn't unanimous, but it was [made with] overwhelming support. It's less about retribution and more about reconciliation and atonement. And there was some atonement."

Asked whether Lieberman had pledged to show party loyalty going forward, Nelson said, "In effect he did, yes." Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) said Lieberman asserted to the group that he would "always be a Democrat."

Sen. Robert Casey (D-Pa.) offered a more cautious assessment. One of Obama's most active supporters in the Senate, Casey said he was "generally" satisfied with the outcome. "It was a historic meeting, but I think we've got to move forward," he said. "We've got too much work to do to let this stand in our way."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/18/AR2008111800231.html?hpid=topnews

keysersoze

Star
Registered

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: WTF!!! The Republicans would never allow this on their side.

Fuck bi-partisanship! Liberman's actions at the RNC were politically traitorous.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>
Sen. Joe Lieberman singing a new tune on Obama</font size></center>

Associated Press
By ANDREW MIGA
March 9, 2009

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Joe Lieberman has changed his tune on Barack Obama.

After campaigning across the country for Republican John McCain in 2008 and attacking Obama as naive, untested and unwilling to take on powerful special interests, Lieberman now showers praise on the popular new Democratic president.

"He's shown real leadership," Lieberman told The Associated Press in an interview. "Bottom line: I think Barack Obama, president of the United States, is off to a very good start."

The Connecticut independent, who faces re-election in 2012 in a state where Obama is popular, is eager to mend fences with Democrats still fuming over his criticism of Obama during the general election campaign.

Lieberman has applauded Obama's national security team. He gushed over Obama's "inspirational and unifying" inaugural. Lieberman even played a key role helping Obama win Senate passage of the economic stimulus plan.

As if to underscore the point, Lieberman has even clashed on the Senate floor with his pal McCain over the stimulus plan and a District of Columbia voting rights bill.

"I don't think of Joe as the independent, I really think of Joe as a Democrat," said Lieberman's home state colleague, Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn.

It's a striking turnaround from the days when Lieberman was a fixture at McCain's side during campaign stops. McCain had even considered making Lieberman, who nearly won the vice presidency on the Democratic ticket with Al Gore in 2000, his running mate.

"Do I think it is more principle or politics?" said Quinnipiac University Poll director Doug Schwartz of Lieberman's moves. "It is a tough question."

Lieberman's campaigning for McCain hurt him with Connecticut voters, particularly Democrats, Schwartz said.

Connecticut's Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, who is mentioned as a possible 2012 Senate Democratic candidate, would beat Lieberman by 28 points in a hypothetical matchup, a recent Quinnipiac poll showed.

Lieberman scoffed at any suggestion his embrace of Obama is more about political expediency than principle.

"I haven't changed ... I've always had a voting record that is more with the Democrats than with the Republicans," he said.

Many Democrats still chafe at how Lieberman needled Obama during his Republican National Convention speech with the line "eloquence is no substitute for a record."

Or when Lieberman cast the race as a choice between "one candidate, John McCain, who has always put the country first, worked across party lines to get things done, and one candidate who has not. Between one candidate who's a talker, and the other candidate who's the leader America needs as our next president."

Lieberman said he understands why he struck a nerve with Obama's backers.

"We were in the middle of a campaign and we just plain disagreed ... When I said those things not only did I believe them, but I believe looking at the records of the two people then, they were right," Lieberman said.

Lieberman said he never meant to suggest that Obama did not put his country first. Lieberman said his words were "too subject" to that interpretation and that he wishes he had spoken more clearly.

After the election at Obama's urging, Senate Democrats decided not to punish Lieberman. They voted to let him keep his chairmanship of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. Obama was eager to strike a bipartisan tone for his presidency.

"President Obama played a very important role, he was very gracious," said Lieberman, who has since called Obama to thank him. "That obviously sealed the deal and I appreciated it a lot."

Liberal bloggers fumed. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, an independent, called it a "slap in the face" for millions of Americans who backed Obama.

But Democrats need Lieberman's support in a chamber where it takes 60 of the 100 senators to overcome the threat of a Republican filibuster. They feared punishing Lieberman could drive him to the GOP. Lieberman remains a registered Democrat and caucuses with Senate Democrats.

Lieberman was re-elected in 2006 as an independent after losing his state's Democratic primary to wealthy businessman Ned Lamont, an anti-war candidate.

Top Democrats like Dodd and Obama who had supported Lieberman in the primary instead backed party nominee Lamont in the fall race. Lieberman was disappointed that some old friends weren't loyal to him.

"Joe is gonna do what's in his interest politically because he had a near-death experience," said Tad Devine, a Democratic strategist who advised Lieberman in 2000. "Losing the party nomination has given him enormous freedom to think and to do as he wants."

On the Net: http://lieberman.senate.gov/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jkzn7-yBluqSOGbGs2o2T2Ve1-pQD96QDTGO0

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
he owes Obama his political life now
over the next year he will eventually become an Obama attack dog in the Senate to boost his ratings and by 2012 he will be the dem party pick for senate and win re-election

:lol: this shit is hilarious

Obama was like "Why throw out a perfectly good white boy?"