I need a Banging Jamaican Beef Patty Recipe

dmofoto

Support BGOL
Registered
I can make these bad boys all day but if you ever had a spicy beef patty (red dot) from Sunshine Bakery in Orlando,FL then you know what I'm after. Thanks fam..:yes:

JazzyBenz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Costco has some good ones.....sams club used to also back in the day when I had membership there.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse 4G on Tapatalk

Pimpslap407

Rising Star
Registered
I can make these bad boys all day but if you ever had a spicy beef patty (red dot) from Sunshine Bakery in Orlando,FL then you know what I'm after. Thanks fam..:yes:

I can't front man I miss those damn patties. I heard that got like 3 stores now.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I used a YouTube recipe and it turned out horrible. Dude was a flaming homo and had no accent, so I should've known. At the time he had the most complete recipe on video though. That was 2-3 years ago, I'm sure more people have put more recipes. Just look for one with some who is Jamaican, a lot of nuisances can get lost in translation when just reading a recipe online. Videos show how to actually do it.

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm still trying to get a good recipe for the crust. I want the old school flaky crust that I used to get growing up in Jamaica. Otherwise, I have to settle for store bought dough.

The meat is simple to do. Cook ground beef with minced onions, garlic, scallions, a little thyme, Jamaican hot pepper, soy sauce, a little browning, and a little beef stock. I might be missing something, but that's the essence of it.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
How to cook jamaican beef patties
<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vesymDMYeV0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rxv4bgiZa3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Jamaica13.JPG

dmofoto

Support BGOL
Registered
I'm still trying to get a good recipe for the crust. I want the old school flaky crust that I used to get growing up in Jamaica. Otherwise, I have to settle for store bought dough.

The meat is simple to do. Cook ground beef with minced onions, garlic, scallions, a little thyme, Jamaican hot pepper, soy sauce, a little browning, and a little beef stock. I might be missing something, but that's the essence of it.
For the crust I use 2 parts (cups) flour to one part butter. A little curry for flavor and color and enough water to knead a nice a ball of dough. Going to try your recipe fam as soon as I find an ethnic store that sells "hot" peppers.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
they taste good but afterwards you question yourself like'should have I eaten those patty's?' because red dot is just what it feels like when coming out....smoking.

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
It is actually not Jamaican, but an old English meat pie...and may actually be from Ancient Egypt

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For the crust I use 2 parts (cups) flour to one part butter. A little curry for flavor and color and enough water to knead a nice a ball of dough. Going to try your recipe fam as soon as I find an ethnic store that sells "hot" peppers.

Only problem with that recipe is that its not the flaky type, your recipe produces a smooth, solid crust. The old school patties are very flaky, that's why I use ready made extra flaky pastry crust.

Oh yeah, drop a few pimento seeds while your meat is cooking.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
=== FOR THE PASTRY ===
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dried turmeric or annatto
2 teaspoons salt
8 tablespoons vegetable shortening
4 ounces unsalted butter - (1 stick), cold
1/2 cup cold water, plus
2 tablespoons cold water
=== FOR THE FILLING ===
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
= (1 1/2 cups chopped)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh ginger
1 pound ground beef
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric or annatto
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded, and
finely chopped, (optional)
2 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely-chopped parsley
1 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled, and
finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup water or beef stock
3 tablespoons Jamaican rum
=== TO ASSEMBLE THE PATTIES ===
Flour, for rolling out
dough
2 egg yolks, beaten with
1 teaspoon rum

1. For the pastry: Sift the flour, turmeric, and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingers, two knives, or a pastry blender, cut in the shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Working quickly, add only enough water to form a firm dough. Do not overwork pastry. Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours or overnight.

2. In a large skillet, heat the oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the ground beef, turmeric, cumin, allspice, cardamom, hot peppers, and thyme and cook until the beef is browned and spices are fragrant, about 10 minutes.

3. Add the scallions, parsley, tomatoes, and stock and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the flavors have come together and almost all of the liquid has evaporated. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, remove from the heat and stir in the rum. Set aside to cool before assembling the patties.

4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry and cut into circles about 6 to 7 inches in diameter. Spoon a scant 1/4 cup of the cooled filling onto the center of one side of each circle, and lightly brush the edges of the circle with a little of the beaten egg yolk mixture. Fold the other half of the pastry over so that the edges meet, and use a fork to crimp the edges together. Lightly brush the top of each patty with a little of the beaten egg yolk mixture. Place the patties on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

6. This recipe yields 8 to 10 patties.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
=== PASTRY ===
2 cups All-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup Vegetable shortening
1/4 cup Ice water, to 1/2 cup
=== FILLING ===
1 pound Ground beef
1 Scallion, white part only, chopped
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Crumbled dried thyme, to 3/4 teaspoon
About 4 inches of French or Italian bread
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 small Red pepper, minced
(or drops of Caribbean hot sauce to taste)

Make the pastry. Combine the flour and salt in a bowl, and work in the shortening until the dough resembles coarse meal. Add just enough water to make the dough hold together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
Make the filling. Combine the beef, scallion, salt, black pepper, and half the thyme. Cook the mixture in a skillet just until the meat loses its pink color but is not browned.
While the meat cooks, soak the bread in water to cover for about 5 minutes. Squeeze the bread but save the water. Grind the bread in a food processor or meat grinder. Put the bread and water in a saucepan with the rest of the thyme and cook until most of the water has evaporated.
Add the bread and the paprika to the meat. Stir in the red pepper or hot sauce and cook over low heat, stirring often, for about 20 minutes.
Roll the dough out about 1/8-inch thick; the dough should not be too thin or it may break when filled. Cut out circles about 6 inches in diameter.
Place a heaping tablespoon of meat in the center of each circle. Using your finger, moisten the edges of the dough with water. Fold the dough over to make a half circle, and crimp the edges with a fork. Repeat until dough and meat are used up.
Place the patties on ungreased baking sheets. Bake about 35 minutes, or until golden brown. This recipe yields about 15 patties.

Comments: These are sold from booths at Carnival. The rest of the year you can buy them at any time in Crown Heights or Flatbush.

Recipe Source:
THE BROOKLYN COOKBOOK by Lyn Stallworth and Rod Kennedy Jr. (c) 1991
Alfred A. Knopf, New York - 415 pages - $23.00
As reprinted in the Mar/Apr, 1992 issue of Cookbook Digest

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
4 cup All purpose flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 1/4 cup Shortening
6 Tbsp ice water (6 to 8)
Filling
1 large Onion, diced fine
4 Garlic cloves, minced
3 Jalapeno chilies, seeded
- stemmed, and minced
3 tablespoon Vegetable oil
3/4 pound beef, Ground
2 teaspoon coriander, Ground
- cumin, and tumeric
1 teaspoon allspice and, Ground
- cinnamon
1 Green bell pepper, stemmed
- seeded, and finely chopped
4 Tomatoes, Minced
1 bunch Green onions, minced
Salt and pepper, To Taste
2 Eggs, lightly beaten

Servings: 24 patties

Pastry:

Preheat the oven to 400 deg F. To make the dough: place the flour and salt
in a large bowl; mix well. Cut the shortening into small pieces about the
size of walnuts. Add to the flour and, using your fingers, rub the flour
and shortening together, making a coarse, mealy dough. Add the ice water
and gather the dough into a ball. The dough should be firm and not sticky.
If the dough is too dry, add a little more water, but if the dough is too
sticky, add just enough flour to make it form a ball. Divide the dough into
2 equal balls and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours
or up to 2 days.

To make the filling: in a large skillet, cook the onion, garlic, and
chilies in the oil over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, stirring from
time to time. Add the beef, herbs, spices, bell pepper, and tomatoes, and
cook over high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture is
thick and saucy. Add the green onions and cook for 1 minute. Season with
salt and pepper and cool to room temperature.

To assemble the patties: on a lightly floured surface, divide each ball
into 2 equal balls, so that you have 4 equal balls. Flatten into disc
shapes, then divide each disc into 6 equal pieces and roll each into a
ball. Roll each ball into a 3 1/2 inch diameter circle. Brush the edges
with beaten egg. Place about 1 tablespoon of filling on one side of each
circle, leaving a 1/4 inch border. Fold the dough over, making a half-moon
shape. Seal the edges with the tines of a fork, and brush with the
remaining egg.

Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the
patties are golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

Source: Rolled, Wrapped, and Stuffed by Janet Hazen Posted by Linda Davis

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
=== DOUGH ===
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 cup cold butter or shortening
3/4 cup iced water
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 egg yolks
1 egg, beaten with
1/4 cup water, for egg wash
=== FILLING ===
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 sprigs scallions, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon chopped Scotch Bonnet pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
Water, as needed
1 cup bread crumbs
Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste

1. Dough: Combine flour, salt, and curry powder in work bowl of food processor, pulse to combine. Add the butter or shortening and process until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. In a bowl combine water, vinegar, and egg yolks. Add wet mixture to work bowl and pulse until a ball forms. Cover dough in plastic wrap and let rest in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.

2. Filling: Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat, add onions, scallions, thyme, and Scotch bonnet peppers. When onion begins to soften, add ground beef, salt, and enough water to barely cover meat, simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Add bread crumbs and adjust with salt and pepper, allow to cool.

3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

4. Roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thick. Cut the dough into 6-inch circles. Place 2 tablespoons of the meat filling onto half of each dough round. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash. Fold the dough over the filling to make a half moon shape and press to seal.

5. Place the patties on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes.

6. ***If making the cocktail size, cut the dough into 3-inch circles.

7. This recipe yields 15 cocktail or 6 large patties.

Traveler

Rising Star
Registered
Only problem with that recipe is that its not the flaky type, your recipe produces a smooth, solid crust. The old school patties are very flaky, that's why I use ready made extra flaky pastry crust.

Oh yeah, drop a few pimento seeds while your meat is cooking.

You get a flaky crust by folding the dough and rolling it out.

I made some last year. It was good but I wish I had made it a little spicier than the recipe called for.