How's Tampa?

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
My job just asked me to relocate there. Any advice? How is it down there? Better than and cheaper than NY, i know.

Solomon

Lifetime Member
Platinum Member
I would assume that it is much cheaper than NY. I'd be willing to bet that the weather is nicer than NY (especially during the winter).

Are you looking to buy a home or are you just going to lease for a while? What part of town will you be working? The reason I ask is because you can get more square footage per dollar if you move just out of Tampa (Tampa's suburbs: Brandon, Riverview, etc.) The only con is that you'll have to commute roughly 20 miles to get to Downtown Tampa. Let me know if you're looking for more specific information and I will do my best to help you out.

TimRock

BGOL Investor
I would assume that it is much cheaper than NY. I'd be willing to bet that the weather is nicer than NY (especially during the winter).

Are you looking to buy a home or are you just going to lease for a while? What part of town will you be working? The reason I ask is because you can get more square footage per dollar if you move just out of Tampa (Tampa's suburbs: Brandon, Riverview, etc.) The only con is that you'll have to commute roughly 20 miles to get to Downtown Tampa. Let me know if you're looking for more specific information and I will do my best to help you out.
Thanks
well the firm is on martin luther king blvd.

i will be looking to buy a home, shortly after i get there. The job is giving me a furnished apt, with a month free. What about schools, restaurants and shopping.

Solomon

Lifetime Member
Platinum Member
Most of MLK in Tampa is pretty much like most of the MLK's I've experienced in any other city. There are a lot of businesses on MLK, but I wouldn't want to live on or immediately near MLK (especially with a family). They are building new homes all over Tampa and the surrounding areas however. If you wouldn't mind commuting from say Riverview, you'd be looking at roughly paying $100 per square feet for a newly constructed house. The same house in the same kind of neighborhood within Tampa's city limits would probably run you roughly $125 per square feet. I live about 15 miles outside of Tampa city limits and I paid $210K for a 2,650 square foot house (my house was built in 2008 and I bought it in 2010). If you're looking at houses online, just do a Google Map search to see about what you're commute will look like. That may help you decide what area of town you'd like to live in.

The schools (I'm assuming you're talking about for your kids) are going to vary greatly depending on where you move as well. You can go online to one the Hillsborough Public School websites and see what grade each school got the past few years. I have a third grader and his school/teachers are great. I haven't heard a lot of good things about the high school that he'll end up going to, but that is years and years down the road for us.

There are plenty of restaurants and places to shop. There are a few malls in and around Tampa and they are supposedly opening a new mall in Riverview in 2015.

As I said before, I'll do my best to answer whatever questions you have. I know how stressful relocating can be.

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I fell in love with Lakeland when I was down there. It's about 30miles east of Tampa. I remember the Carrollwood area of Tampa was the shit (about 30 years ago when a lot of the Bucs lived there). You may want to check out Pinellas County too, but I'm not sure about the bridge traffic during rush hour.

TimRock

BGOL Investor
Most of MLK in Tampa is pretty much like most of the MLK's I've experienced in any other city. There are a lot of businesses on MLK, but I wouldn't want to live on or immediately near MLK (especially with a family). They are building new homes all over Tampa and the surrounding areas however. If you wouldn't mind commuting from say Riverview, you'd be looking at roughly paying $100 per square feet for a newly constructed house. The same house in the same kind of neighborhood within Tampa's city limits would probably run you roughly $125 per square feet. I live about 15 miles outside of Tampa city limits and I paid $210K for a 2,650 square foot house (my house was built in 2008 and I bought it in 2010). If you're looking at houses online, just do a Google Map search to see about what you're commute will look like. That may help you decide what area of town you'd like to live in.

The schools (I'm assuming you're talking about for your kids) are going to vary greatly depending on where you move as well. You can go online to one the Hillsborough Public School websites and see what grade each school got the past few years. I have a third grader and his school/teachers are great. I haven't heard a lot of good things about the high school that he'll end up going to, but that is years and years down the road for us.

There are plenty of restaurants and places to shop. There are a few malls in and around Tampa and they are supposedly opening a new mall in Riverview in 2015.

As I said before, I'll do my best to answer whatever questions you have. I know how stressful relocating can be.

I fell in love with Lakeland when I was down there. It's about 30miles east of Tampa. I remember the Carrollwood area of Tampa was the shit (about 30 years ago when a lot of the Bucs lived there). You may want to check out Pinellas County too, but I'm not sure about the bridge traffic during rush hour.

thanks. I will be heading down there in a few weeks to check out the areas. Good thing is, i will keep the salary i currently have, and from what i hear, i would be able to live great off of it. I'm currently in the 70's.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor

I live in Lakeland. I love this city/town. It's quite, chill, and very family friendly. Only thing I hate about living here is the distance to the bay. I love to go salt water fishing so I don't get a chance to go out as much, but the homes an cost of living are very low, compared to Tampa. A lot of people commute to and from. Bridge traffic does suck during rush hour due to the amount of commuters.

OP, have you tried looking in Brandon or Riverview? Also nice areas as well.

Tampa is cool, a lot of nice parts but a lot of trashy areas as well. I had an aunt who lived off MLK, didn't like visiting her, too damn noisy and busy.

TimRock

BGOL Investor
I live in Lakeland. I love this city/town. It's quite, chill, and very family friendly. Only thing I hate about living here is the distance to the bay. I love to go salt water fishing so I don't get a chance to go out as much, but the homes an cost of living are very low, compared to Tampa. A lot of people commute to and from. Bridge traffic does suck during rush hour due to the amount of commuters.

OP, have you tried looking in Brandon or Riverview? Also nice areas as well.

Tampa is cool, a lot of nice parts but a lot of trashy areas as well. I had an aunt who lived off MLK, didn't like visiting her, too damn noisy and busy.

nah, i havent checked anything yet. I have a meeting with a rep on thursday who will be scheduling my visit. I will be sure to ask about those places. Thanks.

TimRock

BGOL Investor
I just got back from Tampa. I got to check out places like Westshore, Carrol Wood, Temple Terrace, Dale Mabry and Rocky Point.

I went on a saturday so i didnt get the feel of how these places will be during the week. Also, i didnt see a mix of races. I saw mostly white people, and a few black people sprinkled about. Is this how these areas are?

I saw a condo in dale mabry, 2br 2bath going for 1175, washer and dryer included. Can anyone give me some more information on that are.

Rocky Point was cool as well, a gated community with three pools. I saw one black person the whole time i was in there. A little more expensive too. the same type of apt from Dale Mabry was going for 1400, minus the washer and dryer. But they did have a gym ($30 a month)

I'm almost 90% sure will relocate, but may have to go back for another visit.

Solomon

Lifetime Member
Platinum Member
Dale Mabry is long as shit so you'll have to be more specific. You do not want to live on the southern most part of Dale Mabry near the Air Force base. There are plenty of black people in Tampa. It isn't like Atlanta or some other spots, but there are a good number of black people. Most of Westshore is nice. Bayshore is probably nicer, but probably more expensive as well. Carrol Wood and Temple Terrace are nice if you don't mind the commute. You might also want to check out Brandon, Riverview and Lithia, they are within commuting distance as well.

Solomon

Lifetime Member
Platinum Member
I'm familiar with that area, but do not know many details about those apartments. I have driven by those apartments many times however. They look really nice from the road and they are in a pretty nice area. I know that some (if not all) include enclosed parking garages because you can see those from the street as well.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
Thanks
well the firm is on martin luther king blvd.

i will be looking to buy a home, shortly after i get there. The job is giving me a furnished apt, with a month free. What about schools, restaurants and shopping.

MLK blvd? Yeah that's in the hood bruh :lol:

TimRock

BGOL Investor
I'm familiar with that area, but do not know many details about those apartments. I have driven by those apartments many times however. They look really nice from the road and they are in a pretty nice area. I know that some (if not all) include enclosed parking garages because you can see those from the street as well.

i'm reading a lot of reviews on line about apts, most of them complain about the same thing. Bugs, garbage not being handled properly, poor office management, hard to get things fixed.

johniz

Rising Star
Registered
My job just asked me to relocate there. Any advice? How is it down there? Better than and cheaper than NY, i know.

I used to live there but I hate the South, so my opinion is very bias. NOthing's better than NYC, but I like the energy here.No place on other continents like it.

Tampa's very hot and humid. MLK area was revamped years ago, especially near Ybor due to the community college there (I attended) also Dale Mabry campus.

Go there for a three-day weekend to feel it out if you can. Traffic still goes well as the highways were completed a few years back but it has gotten worse. Still NOTHING bad like any metropolitan area traffic.

JazzyBenz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
On the way down for a few days with family. ...can anybody recommend any good spots to eat at?? Thanks in advance.

JazzyBenz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No one on the board is from or frequently visits Tampa???? :rolleyes: Prefer non-chain spots for family. ..Daily Eats was pretty good around the outer skirts of the forum area yesterday. ..Smokehouse at Bush Gardens will be the spot today...be looking for somewhere to try the next 2-3 days....let a brother know...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

johniz

Rising Star
Registered
No one on the board is from or frequently visits Tampa???? :rolleyes: Prefer non-chain spots for family. ..Daily Eats was pretty good around the outer skirts of the forum area yesterday. ..Smokehouse at Bush Gardens will be the spot today...be looking for somewhere to try the next 2-3 days....let a brother know...

hate to be general but try dale mabry and hillsborough ave area...some decent spanish spots around there.....also try fowler ave...not far from busch gardens..

JazzyBenz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
hate to be general but try dale mabry and hillsborough ave area...some decent spanish spots around there.....also try fowler ave...not far from busch gardens..

Cool...general is fine.. doing Adventure Island today. ...will look up fowler Ave after the park. ..thanks

JazzyBenz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Looking for seafood for dinner. ..any recommendations? ?

wouncie

If you don’t own any Bitcoin you’re doing it wrong
OG Investor
Looking for seafood for dinner. ..any recommendations? ?

Charleys Steak House is in my top 3 spots. Let me know. Ive been here for a minute and can recommend everything from chinese food to strip clubs (mine preferably) :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

JazzyBenz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Charleys Steak House is in my top 3 spots. Let me know. Ive been here for a minute and can recommend everything from chinese food to strip clubs (mine preferably) :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Cool....put me down on a great seafood spot.. after doing the water park all damn day :lol: we was some tired folks so we just did Burger 21....they have some pretty good burgers!

TimRock

BGOL Investor

where is your spot located?

wouncie

OG Investor
Cool....put me down on a great seafood spot.. after doing the water park all damn day :lol: we was some tired folks so we just did Burger 21....they have some pretty good burgers!

Ironically Charley's is prob the best seafood spot as well. Burger 21 good. Kinda expensive tho. Monger Burger on dale mabry has good burgers too. Also square 1 in south Tampa has bangin burgers

wouncie

OG Investor
Headed that way for a couple days for work. Anything crackin during the week?

If u are in the strip club scene and like thick blackchicks
Sun - crazy horse- Hillsborough ave
Mon - Club Hush - Hillsborough ave
Tue - Hollywood Nites - Howard age
Wed - Crazy Horse - Hillsborough ave

TimRock

BGOL Investor

I think I drove past a couple of these. I'm staying on HIMES Ave, by the Oasis

14damoney

Rising Star
OG Investor
where is your spot located?

Bruh, you are talking to the RIGHT dude in WOUNCIE...

It's amazing to me how far he's come off of "Hood-Tampa" shit... (not that Tampa is known for hood)... I remember him making waves in Tampa back in '98-'99...

I'm not even a "strip-club" type dude, but I respect game and Tampa has plenty of strip clubs...

But just saying...

Let Wouncie be your Ambassador...

He's much more suited in today's time ( I can only give you Black History regarding Tampa)...

Last edited:

TimRock

BGOL Investor
Any gym recommendations? Tired of planet fitness. Looking for one of those old school looking gyms, like Iron Addicts in Miami.