Have any of you tried the Keto diet

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
From what I've read online, those strips are a rip-off. It's basically just showing what ur pissing out , it's not an accurate assessment of your bodies current state.

I think the best tool for an accurate reading is a blood ketone reading test

I've never used any tests though. I just us the Myfitness app to monitor my macros and my calories. As long as 70-80% of your calories are from fat and 5% or less are carbs, you should be good.

I didn’t Cimpare the strips to the meter. But it did show my ketones after a 3 day fast and after eating some fried chicken it went right back down. So it seems to work.
I’m just tryin to see what foods don’t kick you out of ketosis.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
From what I've read online, those strips are a rip-off. It's basically just showing what ur pissing out , it's not an accurate assessment of your bodies current state.

I think the best tool for an accurate reading is a blood ketone reading test

I've never used any tests though. I just us the Myfitness app to monitor my macros and my calories. As long as 70-80% of your calories are from fat and 5% or less are carbs, you should be good.

Read up on it. The strips can be inaccurate at times. Most accurate when you wake up

Louis Koo

Star
BGOL Investor
came to the realization i love pepperoni, not pizza.
i'll see how this works out eating kale and pepperoni

Keto-Sliced-Pepperonis-2-1818009604-1508514897317.jpg

vegaman

Star
Registered
I was just talking with my neighbor the other day and he was giddy as hell over losing 40+lbs in about 5 months from doing the Keto diet. He told me he has a few diabetic co-workers who did it as well and no longer require the need to take insulin. I have another friend who also lost over 30lbs from doing the Keto diet. I'm considering doing the diet as well but am curious about what it fully entails and what challenges I'd face in maintaining it or if there are alternatives that should be considered.
Watch the Magic Pill on Netflix all the motivation u need!!

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Check out the thread titled “How I lost 40 pounds in 62 days”. That was basically a keto diet. But more specifically, it was a PSMF.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
did IF and keto. lost 50 in 3 mos.

3 meals a day is bullshit. corporate standards to make profit and fda is full of shit. unless you have a job that requires 10 hours of hard labor.

eat less.

carbs for sub saharan people are not digested the same. our history wasnt heavy on it but we came here and started eating that bullshit. why so many of us are diabetic.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
There are several keto groups on Facebook, vids on YouTube, blogs etc. I may post some books later. If you have Amazon Prime or kindle unlimited there are several recipe books available. I just bought a waffle iron so I could learn how to make chaffles.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
I'm considering it per a suggestion from @DJCandle in this thread:

The hardest part for me would be cutting out sugar-- I am a sugar fiend. Especially for my drinks-- Juice, tea, coffee. Everything. I am not a water guy. No more burgers would be a distant second.

theoriginalgreatone

MOAR
BGOL Investor

The hardest part for me would be cutting out sugar-- I am a sugar fiend. Especially for my drinks-- Juice, tea, coffee. Everything. I am not a water guy. No more burgers would be a distant second.
Thanks

Black_Anaconda

Star
BGOL Investor
I lost close to 20lbs in less than a month and a half just by doing intermittent fasting and not eating foods high in carbs. Simple way to do this is to limit your daily carb intake to less than 100 per day. (look at the labels of products you eat and drink outside the home). If you see that you are not losing weight any longer (plateau) then lower your carb intake to 80 max per day. My wife was doing no more than 24 carbs per day. She lost so much weight, she started looking like a teenager. Also, needless to say, stop eating and drinking sugary stuff.

Black_Anaconda

Star
BGOL Investor

I love sugar too, but if you want to be healthy, you need to cut it out. What you can use is a sugar substitute. The one that tastes the best (IMHO) is Anthony's Erythritol Granules. Zero carbs and it tastes great, Do not get the one with the Monk Fruit additive. It leaves an aftertaste (again IMHO).

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Id start here. Literally go episode by episode. Listen for a few weeks, THEN start.

Check out this podcast: 2 Keto Dudes #2KetoDudes

Tons of science, associated studies, but very informal explanation, recipes and experiences.

Also throw in some intermittent fasting. Once you are fat adapted and you hit about 120-150g fat, NOT eating for 16 hours from evening through the am is relatively easy.

Books: The obesity code, The bulletproof diet, my big fat surprise, the art and science of low carbohydrate living.

Also use a macros app, like mymacros+ or MyFitnessPal, it helps with caloric tracking. Most will be shocked at how many carbs most of us actually eat.

Easy way to lose 50 pounds, in 6 months. if you can make it through the first week or two without all the carbs.

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
I lost close to 20lbs in less than a month and a half just by doing intermittent fasting and not eating foods high in carbs. Simple way to do this is to limit your daily carb intake to less than 100 per day. (look at the labels of products you eat and drink outside the home). If you see that you are not losing weight any longer (plateau) then lower your carb intake to 80 max per day. My wife was doing no more than 24 carbs per day. She lost so much weight, she started looking like a teenager. Also, needless to say, stop eating and drinking sugary stuff.
Even 100 is a lot and most of us should easily be able to hit that number... good shit bro!

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
How Ketosis Works
The ketogenic diet was originally designed to treat epilepsy, but it's now become a popular weight-loss plan, in part because its focus on fat can make you feel fuller than on other diets.
When your body has used up all the available carbs it would normally burn for fuel, it starts burning ketones — a form of energy made from fatty acids. It takes a few days to fully enter a ketogenic state, during which a majority of the energy your body burns comes from ketones and not from carbs.
As your body is entering ketosis, you might experience side effects collectively dubbed "keto flu," which can include fatigue, upset stomach, headache and dizziness, according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. These symptoms are most common when a person is first entering ketosis and usually subside once the body has adjusted to burning ketones instead of carbs.
The most accurate way to know if you're in a ketogenic state is to test your blood or urine using test strips, available at drug stores and online.
But some people say they feel differently when they're in ketosis, too. "You can usually tell," says Franziska Spritzler, RD, author of The Low-Carb Dietitian's Guide to Health and Beauty. "You're not as hungry."

Has anyone here tested to see if they are in a ketogenic state?

I get that the dude said "You can usually tell." But I'm wondering.

callbacc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good stuff