Floyd mayweather: Kostya tszyu's biggest challenge

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You're crazy. He would beat the brakes AND the wheels off Paul Williams and you know that's my dude. I used to think PWill had the formula but Quintana and Martinez showed his weakness against counterpunchers and Floyd's the best in the business.

I still think PWill would have given Mayweather fits and being a slick counterpuncher alone is not the key to beating PWill. Stance has a lot to do with it and it's no coincidence that both Quintana and Martinez are both southpaws. Some southpaws get seriously tripped up when facing other southpaws because they are so used to fighting righties that their game against other lefties suffers. This is why even lefties with good defense tend to get hit more when they face other lefties.

I say the tall southpaw PWill that used to throw over 100 punches per round would have beaten the Mayweather that usually tends to get tagged more than usual when he's faced lefties.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I still think PWill would have given Mayweather fits and being a slick counterpuncher alone is not the key to beating PWill. Stance has a lot to do with it and it's no coincidence that both Quintana and Martinez are both southpaws. Some southpaws get seriously tripped up when facing other southpaws because they are so used to fighting righties that their game against other lefties suffers. This is why even lefties with good defense tend to get hit more when they face other lefties.

I say the tall southpaw PWill that used to throw over 100 punches per round would have beaten the Mayweather that usually tends to get tagged more than usual when he's faced lefties.

Zef, I know you love that southpaw angle but Mayweather's most difficult fights were not against southpaws. Whatever vulnerability he had to that is overblown. I love Paul but if he would have been in real trouble wit Mayweather after the third round.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Zef, I know you love that southpaw angle but Mayweather's most difficult fights were not against southpaws. Whatever vulnerability he had to that is overblown. I love Paul but if he would have been in real trouble wit Mayweather after the third round.

I do love the southpaw angle because I know it very well. Being a southpaw myself, I know that just the stance alone give you a defensive edge over most righties. To be fair, Mayweather hasn't had many difficult fights and he hasn't fought too many southpaws. However, two out of the three guys that were able to stun and/or drop him were southpaws (Judah and Corley). Plus, there have been comments over the years from within Mayweather's own camp about how southpaws could be an "issue" for Floyd. I put it like that because of course no one has jumped out and said, "This is Floyd's weakness!" However, they have recognized that the southpaw angle is a valid issue for Floyd's style and has been for a while.

I don't think Floyd punched hard enough or often enough to beat a punching machine like Williams via decision. As good as Floyd is, his defense and ability is almost legend now. Why? Because we are assuming that Floyd would run circles around someone of Williams' caliber when the real question is when was the last time Floyd has faced someone that would present similar challenges. I guess the answer could be Corrales and that was about 10 long years ago.

We'll never know because Floyd retired when Williams was still on the radar and that is an unfortunate coincidence. We can only speculate on what would have happened. Martinez's victory makes Williams look like dogshit now. I guess it was smart to sit back and let these guys knock each other off and then suddenly decide to unretire now that 147 is a wasteland.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I disagree. Paul was an oddity at welter... Mays might have won but it wasn't going to be too easy. Quintana caught Williams on an off night. The second Quintana fight should have made that clear.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I do love the southpaw angle because I know it very well. Being a southpaw myself, I know that just the stance alone give you a defensive edge over most righties. To be fair, Mayweather hasn't had many difficult fights and he hasn't fought too many southpaws. However, two out of the three guys that were able to stun and/or drop him were southpaws (Judah and Corley). Plus, there have been comments over the years from within Mayweather's own camp about how southpaws could be an "issue" for Floyd. I put it like that because of course no one has jumped out and said, "This is Floyd's weakness!" However, they have recognized that the southpaw angle is a valid issue for Floyd's style and has been for a while.

The last time someone in his camp made that statement was years ago.

I don't think Floyd punched hard enough or often enough to beat a punching machine like Williams via decision. As good as Floyd is, his defense and ability is almost legend now. Why? Because we are assuming that Floyd would run circles around someone of Williams' caliber when the real question is when was the last time Floyd has faced someone that would present similar challenges. I guess the answer could be Corrales and that was about 10 long years ago.
And both Judah and Corley were dominated in their fights. The most difficult fights he had were with DLH and Castillo. Someone getting a good round or shot in doesn't mean "that's his weakness".

We'll never know because Floyd retired when Williams was still on the radar and that is an unfortunate coincidence. We can only speculate on what would have happened. Martinez's victory makes Williams look like dogshit now. I guess it was smart to sit back and let these guys knock each other off and then suddenly decide to unretire now that 147 is a wasteland.

Williams, after the Margarito victory, was right there in the hunt but was beaten pretty solidly by an unheralded (but not a bum) Quintana. Once that happened it was over for him, at least for the time being. After the rematch he started campaigning at jr middle. That one lost cost him a lot of money.

I disagree. Paul was an oddity at welter... Mays might have won but it wasn't going to be too easy. Quintana caught Williams on an off night. The second Quintana fight should have made that clear.

Paul was an oddity, that's why no one was wanting to fight him but I don't buy the off night thinking. The matchup, style wise, was a nightmare for him. The rematch showed he had developed some pop but it didn't go long enough to determine whether he had worked on learning how to fight counterpunchers. Then he fought Martinez and the answer was "Not really". Had Sergio had some real defense, he might have won the first fight.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The last time someone in his camp made that statement was years ago.

Well, maybe that's because it's been several years since Floyd fought a southpaw.

And both Judah and Corley were dominated in their fights. The most difficult fights he had were with DLH and Castillo. Someone getting a good round or shot in doesn't mean "that's his weakness".

DLH made the fight difficult because he brought the fight to Floyd and threw large numbers of punches. Most of the punches missed but he made it look like he was doing more and he did put pressure on Floyd. This is precisely what Williams would do and more and to top it off the punches would be coming from the uncomfortable southpaw angle. Hmm. However, Williams does tend to square himself up which in essence takes away a southpaws advantage. I'll assume for speculation's sake that Williams does not square himself up. Regarding Judah and Corley, they were the only ones to ever land the most meaningful shots that Floyd has ever received as a professional outside of the punch landed by Shane Mosley that made the untouchable weak at the knees.

Williams, after the Margarito victory, was right there in the hunt but was beaten pretty solidly by an unheralded (but not a bum) Quintana. Once that happened it was over for him, at least for the time being. After the rematch he started campaigning at jr middle. That one lost cost him a lot of money.

Exactly. Williams fought other guys and eventually got knocked off by someone. That's what happens when you fight regularly.

Paul was an oddity, that's why no one was wanting to fight him but I don't buy the off night thinking. The matchup, style wise, was a nightmare for him. The rematch showed he had developed some pop but it didn't go long enough to determine whether he had worked on learning how to fight counterpunchers. Then he fought Martinez and the answer was "Not really". Had Sergio had some real defense, he might have won the first fight.

Correct, style wise it was a nightmare mainly because of Quintana's southpaw stance. Williams' only losses have come against southpaws. Is this just a coincidence?

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Also buk he did call out a lot of people that he did end up fighting so... I put more stock in his calling people out than this idea that Floyd ruined all these fights on his own out of fear after he called these people out.

I don't think PBF really every feared a fighter. I think he is confident of what he can do in the ring. But I do think he was aware of difficulties with certain fighters. But the overall reason I think he never went after some of the fights is that he markets himself as undefeated. It doesn't matter that all the names discussed put themselves in the ring with each other or people that had chances to beat them. Just as long as PBF could market himself as undefeated. I think that has always been his driving point. Fear of getting that 1st lost. But like I said earlier. I forgot about the contract Kostya had with showtime and pbf being a hbo fighter when pbf went to kostya's division. So he totally gets a pass on that one. Because both were p4p fighters and it is a business. Kostya took on ricky and loss and pbf took on chop chop and had a fight bgol still talks about to this day. lol, sorry but chop chop was thought of as the biggest bama in DC. Just funny how he gets love on here. Cracks me up.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I don't think PBF really every feared a fighter. I think he is confident of what he can do in the ring. But I do think he was aware of difficulties with certain fighters. But the overall reason I think he never went after some of the fights is that he markets himself as undefeated. It doesn't matter that all the names discussed put themselves in the ring with each other or people that had chances to beat them. Just as long as PBF could market himself as undefeated. I think that has always been his driving point. Fear of getting that 1st lost.

And you believe this based on what? I see a lot of "I thinks" but show me what you are basing this on cause it sounds like a bunch of baseless speculation and we know that speculation in general is a bad thing for some fighters so baseless speculation must be the worst thing in the world.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
And you believe this based on what? I see a lot of "I thinks" but show me what you are basing this on cause it sounds like a bunch of baseless speculation and we know that speculation in general is a bad thing for some fighters so baseless speculation must be the worst thing in the world.

everything is based on speculation unless you are apart of the situation. We speculate why fights are made. Why they are not made. Why a fighter fought the way he did and so on. Once again I got to laugh. Are you serious with the line of questioning? I have a little insight and understanding on why people respond the way they do it certain situations. All I can do is express a viewpoint based on what I see, read, and understand as a factor in why something has or has not taken place. What is so difficult to understand about that?

Wasn't that speculating? lol, funny.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
everything is based on speculation unless you are apart of the situation. We speculate why fights are made. Why they are not made. Why a fighter fought the way he did and so on. Once again I got to laugh. Are you serious with the line of questioning? I have a little insight and understanding on why people respond the way they do it certain situations. All I can do is express a viewpoint based on what I see, read, and understand as a factor in why something has or has not taken place. What is so difficult to understand about that?

Wasn't that speculating? lol, funny.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dude... I'm not the cat that says speculations is a bad thing. Speculation is cool as long as it isn't about PED, right?

You can just read Floyd like a book and not even point out what you are picking up on specifically to draw your conclusion, but a motherfucker caught in lies about needles/PED isn't worth speculating on, right?

Do you not see how you present yourself?

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
After the Gatti fight Floyd was gonna unify wit viv harris but his dumb ass got knocked out on the undercard and Kostya went to England for the money plus it he was a showtime fighter, floyd aint duck dude, the timing was just bad, Gatti was a smart business decision and showcase

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
After the Gatti fight Floyd was gonna unify wit viv harris but his dumb ass got knocked out on the undercard and Kostya went to England for the money plus it he was a showtime fighter, floyd aint duck dude, the timing was just bad, Gatti was a smart business decision and showcase

I said after reading and thinking about it I understand how they didn't fight. But even so. I am sure if either of them wanted it badly they would have found a way. The chop chop, gatti, brussels all those fights were lame compared to a match with Kostya. But it didn't happen. I wish it did, because it could have gone either way.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

Dude... I'm not the cat that says speculations is a bad thing. Speculation is cool as long as it isn't about PED, right?

You can just read Floyd like a book and not even point out what you are picking up on specifically to draw your conclusion, but a motherfucker caught in lies about needles/PED isn't worth speculating on, right?

Do you not see how you present yourself?

lol, ok. Anyways we are talking about kostya and pbf not fighting. I am not about to join in on another circle jerk about how manny is a cheater and floyd is the greatest.

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I said after reading and thinking about it I understand how they didn't fight. But even so. I am sure if either of them wanted it badly they would have found a way. The chop chop, gatti, brussels all those fights were lame compared to a match with Kostya. But it didn't happen. I wish it did, because it could have gone either way.

I admit brussels was straigt garbage but chop chop was his first fight at the weight and Gatti was a smart business move and showcase

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I admit brussels was straigt garbage but chop chop was his first fight at the weight and Gatti was a smart business move and showcase

The Gatti fight was a big fight but only because of past great matches dude was in. Gatti was in three ring magazine fights of the year. Does that make him a viable opponent for PBF? hell no. Gatti was made because he fought his heart out in matches that showcased his talents. But those talents were limited. I mean dude never beat a top pound for pound fighter. They should never had been in the ring together. It was as bad as the joke fight pbf had with Marquez. Chop Chop was garbage. Harris at that time would have beat him. Zab would have beat him. Kostya would have too. Of course I'm speculating, but fuck it. The only named fight he could have had a decent chance against was shamba mitchell. Brussels is a name that I just shake my head about being in the ring with dude.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
DLH made the fight difficult because he brought the fight to Floyd and threw large numbers of punches. Most of the punches missed but he made it look like he was doing more and he did put pressure on Floyd. This is precisely what Williams would do and more and to top it off the punches would be coming from the uncomfortable southpaw angle. Hmm. However, Williams does tend to square himself up which in essence takes away a southpaws advantage. I'll assume for speculation's sake that Williams does not square himself up. Regarding Judah and Corley, they were the only ones to ever land the most meaningful shots that Floyd has ever received as a professional outside of the punch landed by Shane Mosley that made the untouchable weak at the knees.

Stop right there! You cannot "for speculation's sake" just decide a fighter is all of a sudden stop fighting like he's always fought to make your argument. Williams' negates his own advantage by squaring up, that's who he is.

Exactly. Williams fought other guys and eventually got knocked off by someone. That's what happens when you fight regularly.
Williams had to fight regularly, he was making his name. He's known to us but casual fans hadn't caught on yet (I blame that on his loss to Quintana and HBO jumping off his bandwagon prematurely, missing two consecutive first round ko's). His fight with Sergio Martinez didn't even sell out one of the smaller arenas in Atlantic City (or was it Vegas?).

Correct, style wise it was a nightmare mainly because of Quintana's southpaw stance. Williams' only losses have come against southpaws. Is this just a coincidence?

No, it's not. But I don't think it's debatable that Williams' isn't as skilled or experienced as Floyd Mayweather.

Don't put that on Mayweather, though. Tszyu got beat and then quit fighting. He eliminated himself from fighting anyone.

The Gatti fight was a big fight but only because of past great matches dude was in. Gatti was in three ring magazine fights of the year. Does that make him a viable opponent for PBF? hell no. Gatti was made because he fought his heart out in matches that showcased his talents. But those talents were limited. I mean dude never beat a top pound for pound fighter. They should never had been in the ring together. It was as bad as the joke fight pbf had with Marquez. Chop Chop was garbage. Harris at that time would have beat him. Zab would have beat him. Kostya would have too. Of course I'm speculating, but fuck it. The only named fight he could have had a decent chance against was shamba mitchell. Brussels is a name that I just shake my head about being in the ring with dude.

Of course Harris, Zab, and Kostya would have beaten Corley, he wasn't meant to be a challenge but a stepping stone. Zab had already beaten him for a jr welterweight title (split decision). For some reason you seem determined to argue that Corley wasn't a "gatekeeper" fighter but there is no other explanation for a fighter who doesn't win a lot of big fights continuing to get fights on tv with guys who are just making their names at that weight (Judah, Mayweather, Cotto).
And stop shaking your head about the Bruseles fight. Mayweather didn't pick him, he was selected to fight Mayweather in an eliminator for a shot at Gatti. Everybody fights tuneups.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
lol, ok. Anyways we are talking about kostya and pbf not fighting. I am not about to join in on another circle jerk about how manny is a cheater and floyd is the greatest.

I just want you to explain what see in Floyd that makes him this great avoider when all you have done is avoided the question. Exposing your other contradictions is just for laughs. You put the blame solely on Floyd for 5 different fights and the simple question is why? Is it that hard to answer?

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I just want you to explain what see in Floyd that makes him this great avoider when all you have done is avoided the question. Exposing your other contradictions is just for laughs. You put the blame solely on Floyd for 5 different fights and the simple question is why? Is it that hard to answer?

I understand it takes two to tango. However someone has to lead. In all the fights I mention he would be the draw. He has the most influence in getting the fight done. And from the look of it most of them wanted to get in the ring with him. I am not in the business of protecting dude. I just hope he takes on a challenge. It would be nice.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I understand it takes two to tango. However someone has to lead. In all the fights I mention he would be the draw. He has the most influence in getting the fight done. And from the look of it most of them wanted to get in the ring with him. I am not in the business of protecting dude. I just hope he takes on a challenge. It would be nice.

Do you realize the time warp you have us on? Floyd wasn't that big of a draw back then which is why he was calling out 3-4 guys at a time... but at least you are actually going somewhere with this that makes sense except....

What are you looking at that says most of them wanted to get in the ring with him and leads you to believe Floyd avoided the fights to protect his undefeated streak? You keep getting closer to saying something of substance, but then you just make these statements as if they are fact without backing it up. Give me an article from that period were Floyd fucked up these negotiations or of these fighters saying Floyd is scared... something.

Last edited:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
You have the position that he ducked all these people and I posted a video of him calling all of them out. Now if you want to continue down this path... can you please present some facts or a logical opinion as to how/why these were ducks? If not... admit that you either have an agenda or that you were wrong. You can also stop posting in this thread, wait a few days and start a new thread with similar shit or a different angle on the anti-Floyd agenda like you usually do.

black-psychic-juniors_design.png