Boxing

dentskins

Potential Star
Registered
Who caught this?
Mayweather outpoints Judah, whose illegal blows prompt melee
April 9, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. couldn't be beaten by the best or the worst of Zab Judah, but it could take days for regulators to unravel the nonsense that erupted in a fight within this title fight.

Mayweather claimed Judah's IBF welterweight title belt Saturday with a unanimous 12-round decision, remaining unbeaten and winning a championship in his fourth weight class, despite a 10th-round scuffle between trainers and support staff from both camps after Judah hit Mayweather with two illegal blows.

Don King, :lol: Judah's promoter, intended to protest the results and urge a disqualification for Mayweather because of the actions of his uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather, who jumped into the ring first.

After the fight, the purses were suspended by Skip Avensino, the chairman of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, until videotape of the skirmish could be reviewed.

"The fight was over when Roger Mayweather went onto the apron and into the ring," King said. "It was a total disqualification. The fighter had a third man in the ring. No matter how you look at it, the fighter is disqualified."

Floyd Mayweather was well on his way to a win on points before Judah sent Mayweather to the canvas with a left hook to his groin and a right to the back of his head.

Roger Mayweather, a former fighter, crossed the ropes and attempted to challenge Judah, and members of both fighters' corners followed for several moments of chaos.

After the fight, King even showed a photograph of someone's hands around Judah's neck in the melee -- and King claimed it was a member of Mayweather's entourage, perhaps Roger himself.

"Roger was choking me," :eek: Judah said. "I was aiming for the body. I didn't plan to hit Floyd low." ( :rolleyes: see, what had happened..)

Order was restored by quick-thinking police officers and security guards, who prevented additional amateur fighters from jumping into the ring.

"Don't you come up here!" one officer warned two members of Judah's entourage, with his hand near his gun.

After perhaps five minutes of drama, the fight resumed as Roger Mayweather was ejected from the arena. Though Mayweather stuck out his tongue at a Judah supporter in the 11th, he and Judah hugged before the 12th round, and Mayweather cruised to another title -- for now, at least.

"Late in the fight, Roger told me Zab was going to do something dirty, and he did it," Floyd Mayweather said. "I didn't return it, because two wrongs don't make a right."

Mayweather, the 1996 U.S. Olympian generally considered the world's best pound-for-pound fighter, rose through championships in three weight classes before becoming a welterweight last year. He improved to 36-0 with 24 knockouts.

"He comes on strong in the first six rounds, and then he gasses out," Mayweather said. "We knew he would come out strong. That was our game plan: To relax, take our time. If there wasn't the controversy, the fight would have ended."

Mayweather earned a methodical victory after weathering Judah's impressive first two rounds before an enthusiastic crowd of 15,170 at the Thomas and Mack Center.

Judah was more active and inspired at the opening bell, and the crowd began to chant "Judah! Judah!" in the second round shortly after Mayweather slipped while throwing a punch and Judah landed a right. The champion also yapped at Mayweather while the fighters stalked each other, showing his trademark bravado even against his unbeaten foe.

Mayweather was forced to cover up again in the fourth after a crowd-pleasing combination from Judah, who backed his opponent against the ropes and barely missed on a couple of potentially devastating shots.

Mayweather rallied in the fifth with several combinations that put Judah on the defensive, then systematically employed head shots and straight rights to the body that bloodied Judah.

By the 10th round, Mayweather was laughing in the direction of Judah's corner while the champion's hands slipped and his mouth opened. Shortly thereafter, the craziness began.

The fight was intended to be for the undisputed welterweight championship, but Judah ruined that event -- and cost himself several million dollars in this purse -- by losing a unanimous decision to unheralded Argentine Carlos Baldomir in January. Judah retained his IBF title only because Baldomir didn't pay that body's sanctioning fee.

King and Mayweather promoter Bob Arum, longtime enemies working together on just their fourth major fight since 1975, went ahead with the fight anyway.

AP NEWS

Dayum, I gotta wait for the replay...

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
My initial reaction was
:lol:

Then I read the line:
a left hook to the groin
:eek:

and immediately I felt that one

Somebody got this on their PC. I know it
Post this now....please!!

dentskins

Potential Star
Registered
Finally caught the replay...why did it look like Judah kept shrinking as the fight went on? Anyway, I can see why Floyd's corner went off (not that it was right to enter the ring). It sure looked intentional and if it wasn't, he damn sure made it look so with the followup blow to the back of the head. For me, the funniest moment during the melee is when Judah ran around the ring during the melee and clocked Floyd's cutman? in the back of the head....
I was surprised how Floyd handled Judah after the initial rounds....impressive fighting a southpaw

dentskins

Potential Star
Registered
What happened to the HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION???

:smh: Klitschko takes out Byrd in seventh round for heavyweight title
April 22, 2006

BERLIN, Germany -- Wladimir Klitschko stopped Chris Byrd in the seventh round of a one-sided fight to gain the IBF heavyweight title on Saturday.

The Ukrainian's right hook finished off the American 41 seconds into the round, the second time Byrd was floored in the fight.

The rematch was similar to their first encounter in October 2001. Byrd also lost that bout, although he survived two knockdowns on his way to losing a decision.

This time around Klitschko finished off Byrd early.

In the fifth round, Byrd climbed to his feet after being knocked down then withstood a barrage of shots. He took a beating for more than a minute until Klitschko backed off. Byrd waved his gloves at Klitschko, telling his opponent to come at him.

"He's a fighter with a big, big heart," Klitschko said. "But he provoked me."

The 35-year-old Byrd had made four successful defenses of the belt he won from Evander Holyfield in 2002. He was the longest reigning of the four heavyweight champions.

"I never hit him, not the way he hit me," Byrd said. :angry:

Byrd said he will have to decide if he wants to continue his career.

"I will talk to the wife," he said. "I enjoy this a lot, of course not when you're pounded like that."

Klitschko (46-3, 41 KOs) has now resurrected his career. After being knocked out by Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster, he started his comeback by beating favored Nigerian Samuel Peter in October.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

dentskins

Potential Star
Registered
I wish the EXECUTIONER...

would just ride into the sunset :( ... Just my opinion. I am happy to see anyone get paid, but at what expense?? He's paid (finally :rolleyes: ) and really didn't tarnish his reputation too much, did he?

http://www.sportsline.com/boxing/story/9385007

Executioner entrusts body to Shilstone's care
By Bernard Fernandez
Special to CBS SportsLine.com
So when Hopkins hired renowned physical conditioning guru Mackie Shilstone to help him bulk up for his June 10 bout with IBO light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver, it was not unlike the recent collaboration of Don King and Bob Arum to hype the Zab Judah-Floyd Mayweather Jr. bout. Hopkins, like King, is a street-smart guy who relies on his own best judgment; Shilstone, like Arum, is the guy with the formal training and wall full of framed degrees.
If it were only a matter of instinct, the 41-year-old Hopkins likely would not have brought in Shilstone and John David Jackson (a left-handed, two-time former world champion who is an expert at helping orthodox fighters prepare for southpaws) for what he insists will be his final training camp.

Hopkins has been making the 160-pound middleweight limit for years with no difficulty, so to do so again would not require augmentation of his support crew. But he is doing what he always said he would do, which is to make his final ring appearance as a light heavyweight, and if there's anyone who knows about the correct way to put pounds of muscle onto a fighter -– or to take pounds of flab off -– it's Shilstone.

---------------
Yeah, there's a lot more to the article, but why waste space? and whatthehellis the IBO???

dentskins

Potential Star
Registered
Patterson dies at 71

Patterson dies at 71
Floyd Patterson, who became the first defeated heavyweight champion to subsequently reclaim the title, dies in New York after suffering from Alzheimer's disease for eight years. He was 55-8-1 for his career. :hmm:

dentskins

Potential Star
Registered
Prince serving Time

Former champ Hamed jailed after guilty plea to driving charge
May 12, 2006
SHEFFIELD, England -- Naseem Hamed, the former world featherweight boxing champion, was sentenced to 15 months in jail Friday for dangerous driving that resulted in injuries.

The 32-year-old former IBF and WBO champ was sentenced at Sheffield Crown Court by Judge Alan Goldsack, who also banned him from driving for four years.

A man suffered a broken leg and two broken arms when Hamed's Mercedes crashed into two other cars in northern England in April 2005. Prosecutors said Hamed was driving at least 90 mph when he tried to overtake a car and crashed into two vehicles.

The flamboyant Hamed, who boxed as "Prince Naseem," last fought in May 2002 when he was booed out of the ring after a contentious decision over Spain's Manuel Calvo in London. Hamed lost to Marco Antonio Barrera in Las Vegas in 2002, his first defeat in 37 fights.

Hamed pleaded guilty to dangerous driving on March 31.

AP NEWS

dentskins

Potential Star
Registered
De La Hoya wins???

Mayorga tests positive for banned substance
May 11, 2006
LAS VEGAS -- Former WBC super welterweight champion Ricardo Mayorga tested positive for a banned substance after losing his title Saturday to Oscar De La Hoya.

Mayorga could be fined by the Nevada Athletic Commission after traces of the diuretic Furosemide, also known as Lasix, were found in his system, commission lawyer Keith Kizer said Thursday.

Kizer said boxing regulators notified Mayorga of the violation Wednesday. The Nicaraguan boxer has 20 days to respond before the commission decides whether to hold a hearing on the matter.

Mayorga's Miami-based lawyer, Tony Gonzalez, did not immediately respond to a call seeking comment.

Another Nicaraguan boxer, Rosendo Alvarez, tested positive for the same substance last month. The Nevada Athletic Commisison suspended Alvarez' license until the end of the year and he was fined $2,000.

"We're thinking there must be a trainer or physician in Nicaragua that is recommending this for boxers," said Alan Hopper, a spokesman for Don King Promotions, which represents Mayorga.

Diuretics are taken to lose weight quickly or to mask steriod use, Kizer said. Mayorga weighed in for the Saturday fight at 153½ pounds, or 4½ pounds lighter than his fighting weight in October 2002 against Felix Trinidad.

Mark Taffet, senior vice president of HBO Sports, said Wednesday that De La Hoya's technical knockout victory at the MGM Grand Arena sold 875,000 subscriptions and generated $43.8 million in pay-per-view revenue.

Mayorga earned a guarantee of $2 million and a share of each pay-per-view sale above 600,000.

AP NEWS
:puke: best promoter since sugar Ray

tp2001

Star
Registered
Re: De La Hoya wins???

The Hatton/Collazo fight is tonight, so I will be seeing that along with the replay of Mayorga/De La Hoya. Hatton wins this and he will face the Baldomir/Gatti winner by the end of the year, especially if Gatti wins that fight.

De La Hoya should get one more fight in to get another 10 to 15 million by fighting Mayweather. I don't think there's that much risk in that fight for both, plus Mayweather would still have a couple more big fights in the future. The plan is for a September date, but it might be on the next month.

As far as the Hopkins/Tarver fight goes, I'm picking Tarver by decision. No way he's KOing Hopkins as great as a defensive fighter he is, plus Tarver is a defensive fighter himself. He won't aim for the knockout that quickly, and the fight will be a slow paced fight like Hopkins/Taylor I.

And the IBO has Klitschko, and Mayweather along with Tarver as champions. At least they are getting more respect than the IBF is.