Attorney general collapses while giving speech

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/264_1227273278"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/264_1227273278" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>
CNN) -- U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey collapsed while giving a speech Thursday at the Federalist Society dinner at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel in Washington

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/20/michael.mukasey.collapse/

keysersoze

Star
Registered
He was giving a spirited defense of the Bush administration's legal policies when his speech began to slur and he lost track of his thoughts

:rolleyes:
Like the Bush policies make sense even when your not discombobulated

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><Center>Washington State Supreme Court Justice
says he taunted Mukasey at speech</font size></center>

The Olympian
By Adam Wilson
November 26, 2008

Washington State Supreme Court Justice Richard Sanders acknowledged Tuesday that he shouted "Tyrant! You are a tyrant!" during a speech by the nation's attorney general last week.

U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey collapsed about 15 minutes later as he addressed the Federalist Society in Washington, D.C. The incident made headlines that initially overshadowed a controversy about who had heckled him as he defended the Bush administration's anti-terrorism policies.

Sanders said Tuesday: "It kind of irked me that this is making fun of the Geneva Conventions. … To make a joke about it, when we're a signator to this convention which prohibits torture."

He denies that he "heckled" Mukasey, who appeared unfazed by the outburst and was released from a hospital Friday in good health.

When questions arose about the shouting, Sanders initially avoided answering directly. He said Monday that he wasn't around when Mukasey collapsed, but he wouldn't comment on Internet articles naming him as the heckler.

By late Tuesday afternoon, Sanders had drafted a statement. Asked why he took so long to clarify what had happened, he told The Olympian, "I thought it through. I think that it's best that all the facts be there, and there's no reason not to lay it all out."

Some, including Wall Street Journal opinion writer James Taranto, suggested that Sanders' outburst might have violated the code of conduct for judges.

Internet columnist and Fox News contributor Michelle Malkin wrote Sunday about the possibility that Sanders had heckled Mukasey, "I dearly hope this is not true."

Reiko Callner, executive director of the state Commission on Judicial Conduct, said that judges are required to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

"Whether a judge has violated that with their off-the-bench behavior, especially with regard with speech, can only be answered in a case-specific manner," she said.

Callner said she can't discuss a specific case or confirm that a complaint has been filed against a judge. She added that inappropriate comments made out of state have resulted in sanctions against Washington judges before.

"It really depends on the totality of the circumstances," including whether inappropriate language was used, she said.

Sanders said he was moved to act in the moment after Mukasey said: "Even more common is the casual assumption among many in media, political and legal circles that the administration's counterterrorism policies have come at the expense of the rule of law. I'm quite familiar with these criticisms having heard many of them myself during my tenure as attorney general."

Sanders shouted: "Tyrant! You are a tyrant!"

Mukasey continued, "Now it is hardly surprising that the questions of how we confront the terrorism threat would generate vigorous debate."

Sanders said he thought his admission to the outburst Tuesday would end the controversy over it.

"I don't know what else to say about it," he said.

In 2006, Sanders was admonished for speaking to inmates in a correctional facility because they might have had cases before the state Supreme Court, and he was criticized for speaking to a crowd of abortion opponents on the Capitol steps shortly after taking office in 1996.

http://www.theolympian.com/southsound/story/674883.html

AristotlesOwn

Star
Registered
Sounds like a stroke. Also.... karma for defending anything that has to with the Bush administration's legal policies.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Stroke.

My late grandparents suffered a few each in their lifetimes.

Grandma suffered one AT MY GRADUATION in 2003.

And numerous elderly clients/neighbourhood friends I worked for (in landscaping) had suffered them in the 1990s.