Why Black People Need To Create Their Own Film/Media Infrastructure

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Ok,

In the wake of RED TAILS/G LUCAS and some here complaining how hollywood is shunning black films, i thought why cant these top black media billionaires set up a PRIVATE EQUITY/VENTURE CAPITAL firm that will made,market and distribute films (NOT FILMS AIMED AT THE US BLACK AUDIENCE) but films that can be seen globally those that tacKle everyday issues

Good example is PARTICIPANT PICTURES/MEDIA.

These guys only started in 2004 and from my understanding — Participant took 11 Oscar nominations in 2006, and films like “The Cove” and “An Inconvenient Truth” later became winners — nothing from the company has approached blockbuster status. The biggest ticket-seller among its films — it has produced about 30 — was “Charlie Wilson’s War”.

Personally I subscribe to their updates on film, books and documentaries with social message.....yes its not gonna be easy I remember one of the founders in an interview here in London, said they learned their lesson in 04 by making a mistake of relying piecemeal on the major studios for film distribution — an arrangement that almost always meant unfavorable terms.

So after being screwed by big shots in Hollywood they bought a stake in Summit, and remains its second-largest shareholder...and gets more interesting....it also made an agreement under which Summit would distribute as many films for Participant under terms they termed as more favorable.

And I know some of you will hate my International outlook but the truth is the world is biiger than America, people have access to news and info PLUS new films...be it in India, Africa, Latin America or Europe so OPRAH and Co if they are thinking GLOBAL should find partners outside US. Spike Lee i think was trying to do something with DUBAI Govt. Few Years ago Participant formed a joint venture with Imagenation Abu Dhabi, a division of the government-owned Abu Dhabi Media Company, to finance its films.

About time they set up something that will tell our stories while make money at the same time

anyway check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Participant_Media

Last edited:

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered
Charlie Wilson's War is a great film.

Problem is black stories aren't that profitable.

So if you are looking for maximum profit, you have to slice the budget... Unless this group of investors is committed to telling the stories without making a ton of $. Black movies do no numbers overseas. You don't get to Oprah, Will Smith, Magic Johnson financial level without being about your money so...

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We need to see how things will go now that Summit is part of Lionsgate. LGF is still one of the smaller media companies in Hollywood, but you have to remember that none of us probably would have heard about Summit if it wasn't for Twilight.

And Will Smith to a point has made a step towards what you are talking about with Overbrook, but most of what they've done was his films.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
before i give you your typical one star let me ask you this... who are the top black media billionaires???????:confused::confused::confused:

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

So if you are looking for maximum profit, you have to slice the budget... Unless this group of investors is committed to telling the stories without making a ton of $. Black movies do no numbers overseas. You don't get to Oprah, Will Smith, Magic Johnson financial level without being about your money so...

check this out:

With $100 million in cash from Skoll's personal funds,[1] Skoll was the company's first chief executive officer, but stepped down from that position in August 2006.[1] Participant Productions' initial plans were to produce four to six films per year, each with a budget of $40 million.[4][8] The company focused on films in six areas: The environment, healthcare, human rights, institutional responsibility, peace and tolerance, and social and economic justice.[1] The company evaluated projects by running them past its creative executives first, assessing their cost and commercial viability second, and then analyzing their social relevance last.[1][9] Once the decision was made to go ahead with production, the company reached out to non-profit organizations to ask them to build campaigns around the release.[1][4] In some cases, the studio has spent years creating positive word-of-mouth with advocacy groups, which are often encouraged to utilize the film to push their own agendas.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Participant_Media

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member

This

Really. Thank you. This is a damn good thread.

oNE

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Seriously we can get there, the financial backing from people like Denzel, Oprah and Cosby would be available if better scripts existed. Anyone with money is always interested in making more money. But they are not about taking risk.

You need stories that's going to appeal to a much broader audience. Like the movie or not "Red Tails" was a great idea. I saw women in groups going to see a war movie. Churches are going to see this movie. Plus that story needed to be told. (also needed to be told better)

Stories about drug dealers and sports aren't going to make it. Is that all were about? Comedies aren't going to make it. Besides Perry's got that comedy shit on lock.

There's a shitload of movies from the 70s blaxploitation era that could be (need to be) rewritten Some were actually very good. As Hollywood has seen fit to ignore black talent we need to go for ourselves. The investors are out there.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Touché. You make a very rare but good point here.
Jay-z and Will Smith did team up to finance the Fela play.

I always say our people esp those in power should have an outward look without forgetting inward.

I cant see why a black owned media company couldnt make a film like Syriana (an antipetroleum political thriller starring George Clooney) Good Night, and Good Luck, (which revisits Joe McCarthy's Red Scar) or something like North Country (about a landmark sexual harassment lawsuit). If you notice a lack of boneheaded action, smarmy romance, and brain-dead comedy ( sadly the sort of films black people are expected to make), it's because PARTICIPANT's mission was to make not blockbusters but messages - movies that promote social and economic justice while at the same time they make money.

I remember when I was an undergrad my prof was so anxious I wrote a dissertation on a subject related to Africa and I plainly refused and ended up writing on 6 party talks on North Korea and issues to do with NPT's. Yes he was White who thought we as a race a dumb and shouldn't have interests beyond our comfort zones

Imagine if Jay, Oprah, Will Smith, Tyler and Magic were to put around 300 mil each and form a media company through a Venture Capital that will have distribution channels in India, China, Asia Pacific, Africa, Europe and Latin America....

well, Danny Glover wouldn't be sitting in that Toussaint Louverture project, or the new Mandela TV series wouldnt be made by some white unknown company.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Seriously we can get there, the financial backing from people like Denzel, Oprah and Cosby would be available if better scripts existed. Anyone with money is always interested in making more money. But they are not about taking risk.

You need stories that's going to appeal to a much broader audience. Like the movie or not "Red Tails" was a great idea. I saw women in groups going to see a war movie. Churches are going to see this movie. Plus that story needed to be told. (also needed to be told better)

Stories about drug dealers and sports aren't going to make it. Is that all were about? Comedies aren't going to make it. Besides Perry's got that comedy shit on lock.

There's a shitload of movies from the 70s blaxploitation era that could be (need to be) rewritten Some were actually very good. As Hollywood has seen fit to ignore black talent we need to go for ourselves. The investors are out there.

Why focus on BLACK MOVIES?

Why even pigeon-hole ourselves?

Why not make good movies that people will watch and love?

That said nothing wrong with making black films but it shouldn't be what defines a company...investors will want their returns, period!

Ask your self this:

George Clooney's paycheck for Ocean's Eleven was reportedly $20 million.

The guys that started PARTICIPANT MEDIA (Skoll) got him to star in, cowrite, and direct Good Night, and Good Luck - a movie with a $7 million budget and it went to win an OSCAR....ever asked yourself how did he manage to get someone like Clooney?

The answer is simple: First of all the actors have to believe in the material so much that they are willing to take a break on their rates. And the production needs to be scaled to the money it's likely to make....

clitsational

Rising Star
Platinum Member
what i think most folk like the op miss out on is these black folk
HAVE learned from the white bosses they serve

what they have learned is to:

NOT
rock the boat

NOT
bite the hand that feeds them

NOT
put anybody on

NOT
build in their communities

the list goes on but u get my point

this is Will's latest movie
looks like he learned very well

:cool:

Last edited:

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

NOT
rock the boat

NOT

NOT
put anybody on

NOT

interesting observations....

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jay can easily put in 200 mil

will smith can put in 300 mil

Magic Johnson 200 mil

Denzel 150 mil

Oprah....400 mil

Now tell me they couldn't set up a Private Equity fund with that dosh

Cock Head Jones

Rising Star
Registered

Magic Johnson 200 mil

Denzel 150 mil

Oprah....400 mil

dont you work in PE? Why cant your firm start a fund? Bring up the idea on Monday morning and report back.:hmm:

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
dont you work in PE? Why cant your firm start a fund? Bring up the idea on Monday morning and report back.:hmm:

Ours invest only in infrastructure and energy projects in the Africa where the Government Guarantee's the 20 or 25 year soft loans with say 4% interest (preferably we like the EPC types) and our philosophy is to pursue markets that display underpenetration and inefficiency. Infrastructure in Africa displays these characteristics considering the region suffers from a chronic under supply of power and transportation and even when these services are available, the costs are multiples of comparable services in developed markets.

I cant see these guys getting into the unknown territory of financing some hollywood films

That shit should be done by those in the industry

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

basically... while it would be nice for people with talent to pool together for a black film studio to counter Tyler Perry's bullshit, I also can't expect the next man to make that sacrifice or risk when it isn't in them to do so.

conspiracy Bro

Rising Star
Registered

NOT
rock the boat

NOT

NOT
put anybody on

NOT

yep add to that too much infighting amongst them over bull shit and nothing will ever be accomplished.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If anything, I would urge the black millionaires to invest in BOLLYWOOD...fuck the black film mentality

Its all about GLOBAL MONEY. People are more willing to overlook lack of transparency to capitalize on the magnitude of the opportunity.

I meant Hollywood box office revenues constitute 35% of overall revenues. 75% of Bollywood films get the majority of their revenues from the domestic box office. However on the other hand its fair to argue that closed funds are not a good vehicle for this because the cash on cash distribution to investors is not predictable. Even closed end real estate funds invest in SPVs for projects, making my case for investing in movies on a deal-by-deal basis.

If I were denzel & co's advisor, I would rather they invest in Indian film industry or some infrastructure project in Africa than American film industry which is pretty un certain.

Djmarkxr7

OG BGOL'er
Registered

Magic Johnson 200 mil

Denzel 150 mil

Oprah....400 mil

Dude, you are vastly over-estimating the liquid assets of these people.

Jay's net worth is estimated @ 450 million, do you really think that it's a sound business decision to stake almost half of your net worth into ANY venture, much less one where you have several partners, and that's not taking into consideration what Jay already has his money earmaked for!

Outside of Oprah, you are basically asking the rest to put up nearly half of their net value, it just seems like a foolhardy exercise.

Oh, and don't confuse Will Smith's net worth with how much his movies make, according to Forbes his net worth is upwards of 200 million, DEFINITELY a multi-millionaire, but not able to "easily" invest 300 million into anything!

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Jay's net worth is estimated @ 450 million, do you really think that it's a sound business decision to stake almost half of your net worth into ANY venture, much less one where you have several partners, and that's not taking into consideration what Jay already has his money earmaked for!

Outside of Oprah, you are basically asking the rest to put up nearly half of their net value, it just seems like a foolhardy exercise.

Oh, and don't confuse Will Smith's net worth with how much his movies make, according to Forbes his net worth is upwards of 200 million, DEFINITELY a multi-millionaire, but not able to "easily" invest 300 million into anything!

tumblr_lvez5mDHxq1qbfwtn.png

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You are probably right.

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So let's look at from the perspective of the recent past. Dreamworks was started by Spielberg, Katzenberg, Geffin and Paul Allen. Paul Allen had the biggest portion at $500 million and the rest put in $33 million. This is 1994 dollars however. Today Allen would have to put in $780 million and the others $52 million. Keep in mind in the end they couldn't stay independent and they've almost gone bankrupt twice. Hell even now they would be on the bubble if they weren't owned by one of the largest companies in India who can absorb the losses.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
No one should hate the international approach. That's critical in a films success. You can't survive in hollywood on depending on domestic sales alone.

It doesn't have to be only black movies but as long as it's black owned venture equity company. However, being that it is black owned it should also benefit black movies if it can break black films into those international markets.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No one should hate the international approach. That's critical in a films success. You can't survive in hollywood on depending on domestic sales alone.

It doesn't have to be only black movies but as long as it's black owned venture equity company. However, being that it is black owned it should also benefit black movies if it can break black films into those international markets.

My exact point.
I mean if it means making Indian, Latin American,Chinese or European films be it as long as it makes money.

Thats what participant has been doing

MYSTIC

Rising Star
Registered
Wonderful thread. I agree that if they did form a company that black centered films shouldn't be the end all be all but it has to exist. Co-exist along with other films not per say that would interest African-American's.

One key element would have to be quality. Everything would have to be pristine to make them shine. As one poster pointed out one of the main reasons why this hasn't happened is because they don't want to bite the hands that feeds them, etc....

Imagine if they got a wind of they were forming their own alliance, they would be blackballed so hard that they would be forced to star in the films just to make them desirable to viewers.

I say this with the most established recording artist as well, It has to be a reason why no one has established "their own" anything. Especially per say distribution companies on any level. It's a damn shame. I think that should be the #1 goal for black artist worldwide honestly.

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:confused::confused::confused:

Then why is Nollywood the 2nd largest film industry in the world?

Hollywood is 3rd

Hollywood made $32.6 billion globally in 2011, Bollywood generated $2.2 billion and Nollywood pulled in $800 million. That's still an impressive number for Nollywood, but it's important to keep things in perspective.

This. But regardless of genre or quality, most foreign buyers aren't interested in films with Black faces unless they have A-List talent or maybe some kind of international appeal. That's why casting a singer like Lenny Kravitz, who dabbles in acting, can get things moving for a Marvin Gaye biopic, but a superior talent like Jesse L. Martin can't get his version off the ground.

There'll come a time when a global Black audience will be able to sustain a "for us, by us" high quality film industry, but we're not there yet. Until then, somebody has to figure out how to consistently get our successful films shown in the top foreign markets. Even though Sony Pictures was "considering" it, Think Like a Man never got that release in France. :hmm:

Last edited: