Why are DC fans so angry at anyone who criticizes DC movies? (tical Pre Approved)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

I had no idea they made those points. But as someone that followed the genre. This result was all but guaranteed.

You can’t start changing the script and all the other mess in the middle of shooting.

You can’t be a reactionary business. They originally hired Synder for a reason. He has a unique way of film making that’s not always appreciated or even understood by a good amount of people. Thus a “decisive” filmmaker. You knew that and you hired him. So man up with your decision.

At this point you’ve allowed the guy to make 2 out of 3 of this triology his way. Why not have him complete the last movie by his vision?

Moreover, it’s like the studio didn’t learn anything from cutting BvS short. So they double down and mandated this movie be under 2 hours and I’m sure like everyone already said it shows.

Terrible executive decisions at the top.

welcome home fam

welcome home

martin-group-hug-o.gif

giphy.gif

martin-group-hug.html

Last edited:

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I have to agree they could of added about 10 min to the movie and it would of been ok. Lets look at the lengths of other comic book hits:

Avengers - 2 hours 22 minutes

Avengers Ultron - 2:22

Wonder Woman 2:21

Civil War - 2:27

Winter Soldier - 2:16

The “smart and greedy” execs figured they could get that extra showing in at the movies which should amount to more $$$$.

But what those same “smart and greedy” executives apparently didn’t realize is if you could fuck up the movie so badly then people won't care for an extra showing.

Unfortunate!

Last edited:

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
"But there might be something in this: Much of the DC identity lay, especially in the wake of 1984's one-two smash of Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, in the idea that gritty was cool. Dark was the way forward."

I think the truth is DC didn't really need an extended universe. They saw Marvel printing money and instead of creating their own model just tried to copy Marvel's. The results have been disastrous.

I've said it again and again: Superman and Batman have been around too damn long to change their narratives. Even people who never saw a superhero movie, read a comic book or watched a TV show know who Superman and Batman are. Everybody knows how Superman's powers work. Everybody knows Batman doesn't have powers. You gotta start with that and just work with it.
Marvel's characters are mostly from radiation and shit. Much more leeway. Hell, they can manifest new powers at anytime (ie: Jean Grey).
It's simply not feasible to have DC's main characters compete in the same way as characters that are much more modern.

And the decision to go to a "dark universe," well, that was okay for Batman because that's how he rolls (although I'm sure it would have gotten tiresome). But you can't put Superman in their. His whole deal is he is a moralistic prick. He doesn't kill unless unavoidable. So right away we've got a problem trying to throw two disparate characters into the same universe. Add WW who also has high morals from Amazonia, which is a greek-like place. And greeks were supposedly so highly principled. We know the real history but you get the idea.

Anyway, my point is: DC tried to make a cake with meat and chicke; and it just doesn't work.

The big miss is that they didn't get into the tension that you tend to have between Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman when it comes to how they deal with people. Superman believes in goodness, Batman thinks most people are shady and is ok with handing out pain. Wonder Woman gets annoyed at both because she's ok with killing the bad guys and says thats why she doesn't have so many people coming back like Bats and Clark. Just that alone will humanize their relationships. Hell imagine a scene where Flash is about to go on a date and gets advice from Superman, WW and Batman.....you know it would make for a great scene.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
welcome home fam

welcome home

martin-group-hug-o.gif

:lol:

Get outta here with that!

I call it straight man. If I think something is good or not then I'll stand by it. I try to be objective in my opinions when it comes to movies. Trying to take into consideration the directors intent and how well it translated into the finished product.

That's why BvS and ESPECIALLY Man of Steel are rated so high on my list.

This non-sense called JL..Damn!

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
The big miss is that they didn't get into the tension that you tend to have between Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman when it comes to how they deal with people. Superman believes in goodness, Batman thinks most people are shady and is ok with handing out pain. Wonder Woman gets annoyed at both because she's ok with killing the bad guys and says thats why she doesn't have so many people coming back like Bats and Clark. Just that alone will humanize their relationships. Hell imagine a scene where Flash is about to go on a date and gets advice from Superman, WW and Batman.....you know it would make for a great scene.

I disagree. This is still throwing them all into the same universe. The big miss is that they don't need to be in the same universe. WW could have had another retro flic before she modernized. Bats could have stayed dark with the option of lightening up. Supes is Supes no matter where he is. There is a reason why they all live different places in the comics. I know lots of shit has been retconned but still. Marvel's characters all live in the real world. With a few made up places like Wakanda or Sakovia. There are some space visitors, Kree, Krull et al but the majority of the action takes place in places we know on earth. That is a huge advantage.

DC is trying to force their big 3 into the same universe after their individual universes have already been established. Time consuming, confusing and IMO unnecessary. They could have crossovers though. THAT would be massive.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
DC needed a Jon Favreau who really understood and loved a character to bring it to life. That first Iron Man movie set the tone for Marvel and established one of the primary protagonist.

Superman and Batman in the DCEU don't seem like real people. MOS was cool, but turned off a lot of fans like me cause I grew up with a superman that didn't kill. Batman shooting people is out of character as well. Green lantern had the worst tone of them all. They cast the wrong person and thought the fans would just be happy with that bullshit.

The execs don't give a shit about the properties or the fans and that is why the suffer. DC will fuck around and kill the genre with their bullshit practices. :smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
DC needed a Jon Favreau who really understood and loved a character to bring it to life. That first Iron Man movie set the tone for Marvel and established one of the primary protagonist.

Superman and Batman in the DCEU don't seem like real people. MOS was cool, but turned off a lot of fans like me cause I grew up with a superman that didn't kill. Batman shooting people is out of character as well. Green lantern had the worst tone of them all. They cast the wrong person and thought the fans would just be happy with that bullshit.

The execs don't give a shit about the properties or the fans and that is why the suffer. DC will fuck around and kill the genre with their bullshit practices. :smh:

agreed they need they OWN Kevin Feige

just like DC/WB TV got the dude who plays Arrow to lead them

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

First, they(WB) need to get rid of the arrogance. Meaning if you ever listen to Feige he stated that they couldn't afford to fuck up with the 1st Ironman movie. They weren't DC and didn't have the trinity(Sups, Bats, WW). Thus they took their time to craft the best story and decided current and future projects with great thought.

It's been reported that these WB executives where like we have the trinity(Sups, Bats, WW) therefore we could put whatever story we want out there and people will automatically support it. Of course, they were right to a degree but clearly, that's not enough and that's what we are seeing now. You can have the characters but if your story and trajectory ain't right it won't matter.

You mentioned Jon Favreaus they have Berg and Goeff Johns. The question is will these execs but their immediate greed aside for $$$ and let these movies naturally evolve?

I was not a fan of BvS as presented I wanted World's Finest. Batman fighing Superman for an entire movie...arggh that's fan boy stuff but not for a GA that love these characters. But hey maybe they could pull it off. Then they announced JL and I was like what the fuck? All this to avoid the solo movies first to avoid being like Marvel?

It could have worked but they rushed it with that same arrogant thinking and reactionary process..Fuck it up!

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Yeah I have to agree they could of added about 10 min to the movie and it would of been ok. Lets look at the lengths of other comic book hits:

Avengers - 2 hours 22 minutes

Avengers Ultron - 2:22

Wonder Woman 2:21

Civil War - 2:27

Winter Soldier - 2:16

it was def rushed
we weren't going anywhere. people go to hero movies expecting 2 hours +
2 hours + of good action and story feels like 1 hour in the movie.
the only times ive been in a movie like this shit is too long are bad ones,,,,

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I've mentioned this many times, but WB/DC having all their characters (unlike Marvel) should have blown away Marvel a long time ago. They should be where Marvel is right now, gearing for a phase 4, Crisis on Infinte Eat the type of event...

Instead of building of Nolan's Batman films and letting Singer slobber all over Donner's Superman films, they could have built a solid foundation for a cinematic universe back in 2004.

Iron Man and The Dark Knight released the same dann year....Marvel just ran with it, DC fucked around and played catch up.

And I liked JL.

JL, WW, BvS (Extended Edition), MOS, SS....

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
I disagree. This is still throwing them all into the same universe. The big miss is that they don't need to be in the same universe. WW could have had another retro flic before she modernized. Bats could have stayed dark with the option of lightening up. Supes is Supes no matter where he is. There is a reason why they all live different places in the comics. I know lots of shit has been retconned but still. Marvel's characters all live in the real world. With a few made up places like Wakanda or Sakovia. There are some space visitors, Kree, Krull et al but the majority of the action takes place in places we know on earth. That is a huge advantage.

DC is trying to force their big 3 into the same universe after their individual universes have already been established. Time consuming, confusing and IMO unnecessary. They could have crossovers though. THAT would be massive.

Nah I disagree. a JL movie needs to be made if WB is serious about making flicks of the main JL characters. However it has to be for a major threat that is too big for any one of them to handle. To me Steppenwolf didn't meet that characteristic with how easily Supes handled him. The issue is to establish that they all know each other or at least know that they need to work together.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Instead of building of Nolan's Batman films and letting Singer slobber all over Donner's Superman films, they could have built a solid foundation for a cinematic universe back in 2004.
exactly, but those batman movies weren't made to include non-human like villains, or other worlds like Krypton. It was just basic human life revolving around Gotham. But then here comes MOS, which can give it all a fresh start. Krpton is established, Gotham is established, villains with actual powers established. Thats all the ingredients right there. Build off that, make a Batman movie. WW next. Then come with BVS. SS is your shot in the dark movie. Then you go with the solos for aquaman, flash and cyborg, reboot green lantern. Last, Justice League. then you come with the dark horse movies (i.e. Antman, BP, Strange) like Shazam, Hawkman, Manhunter. Now you can go back to League members and do a JL v. Legion of Doom, or build up the Bat-family.

Marvel, on the other hand, established outside worlds from the very beginning (thors hammer dropping to earth), so now you got everything incorporated, and they did a good job of building off that,

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Nah I disagree. a JL movie needs to be made if WB is serious about making flicks of the main JL characters. However it has to be for a major threat that is too big for any one of them to handle. To me Steppenwolf didn't meet that characteristic with how easily Supes handled him. The issue is to establish that they all know each other or at least know that they need to work together.

I think you're getting caught in the retcon trap. I'm speaking about the nature of the characters. Had they made movies exploring the nature more thoroughly then it would have been much easier to put them together. Actually, not even so much exploring them as at least keeping them consistent. The characters are so wildly different from movie to movie. I know it's scripts and direction but, damn.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize there is no one reason DCEU has failed so miserably. But I would say the main reason is there is no one person with an overall vision a la Kevin Fiege.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

It’s fine but like you said it requires a bigger overlaying thread. At this point even Aquaman is at risk. Not because James Wan isn’t a competent director. But because of the negative snowball effect from these current movies.

But WW through Patty Jenkins showed it’s still possible for good reception for directors not named Synder. So there is hope.

Question, what do the heads of WB/DC have planned after Aquaman?

What’s the slate? Donthe movies tie together or have some semblance of cohesiveness?

That’s the problem. It requires patience and foresight and sticking to that overarching vision no matter what.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
and according to some, WW is stronger than Superman, yet she couldn't take him alone.

No! Even comics book fans know that’s not true. Superman is an incredibly underrated character in terms of pure strength. Eitherway, She’s not stronger or faster or anything else. WW is considered by many to be the best pure fighter in the DC universe. Better than Batman or Deathstroke or Captain Atom.

Hell she’s only had 100s of years of training.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
exactly, but those batman movies weren't made to include non-human like villains, or other worlds like Krypton.

It's a movie, they can make it so.

Hell, having Superman show up at the end of Dark Knight Rises, saving Batman, would have made the ending make sense.

Anything would have been possible with the Nolan films. Yeah, they were crime dramas starring Batman and his rogues, but they could have easily parlayed it into the comic book fantasy world of DC.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Hell, having Superman show up at the end of Dark Knight Rises, saving Batman, would have made the ending make sense.

Anything would have been possible with the Nolan films. Yeah, they were crime dramas starring Batman and his rogues, but they could have easily parlayed it into the comic book fantasy world of DC.

Nope! Chris Nolan and his brother were absolutely against the metahuman aspect of the Batman-verse. His stuff was based on "practical" dynamics...no "superheroes/mythical stuff." That's why you got somewhat practical villains in the Joker and Bane(The league) and not the likes of Victor Fries aka Mr.Freeze or Clayface.

It's also reported one of the big reasons why he declined being head of the DCEU originally and suggested Synder for that title and Man of Steel.

Introducing Superman or a metahuman as you've suggested would have undermined all the prior movies and his overall Batman trilogy.

Last edited:

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor

And would have felt completely out of place, since they never ever hinted at there being other universes or superheroes with powers. Not even a simple newspaper article.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In my humble opinion; it all comes down to 2 very specific things. LOVE for the characters and BRAND LOYALTY.

LOVE:
Fans who really love these characters and who have devoted a sizeable chunk of their lives, philosophies & identities to the example these arch-type iconic heroes represent. (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash etc...)
BRAND LOYALTY:
Those fans who feel like any critique or criticism of these beloved characters in any medium (Comics, Movies, etc...) is much the same as attacking, belittling or questioning a person's religion or political beliefs or points of view. (And they simply WILL NOT stand for it.).

But this can be said of ANY endeavor in which people are passionate about. (SPORTS, POLITICS, RELIGION, NATIONALISM, RACE RELATIONS, GENDER ROLES & EQUALITY, SCIFI etc...). :dunno:

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is the final fight JL needed. Where the bad guy is handling all the heavy hitters:

3ikAmU8.png

HihOVza.png

HzJaWlh.png

KoIGVgE.png

I39TnvV.png

MjqSBg0.png

sVpgSaB.png

GNnZfrV.png

Q2TcDsz.png

ZKGMcvx.png

2Sx2NMt.png

XNrRrOY.png

EM9thXT.png

q5odAv7.png

8a1anJq.png

RhaRvmU.png

F5gma6f.png

auqSTa9.png

XO1Aqpa.png

bimD9W0.png

07UBsL0.png

VddaBAP.png

4JJfzRO.png

Yeah! But fam if I'm not mistaken that's Thanos and we're talking different power levels. Steppenwolf is no Thanos and he's definitely no Darkseid!

Hell Thanos ain't even on Darkseid level..Yeah I said it and what?

Had we gotten the original Part 1 and Part 2 JL movies as originally planned then perhaps we would have seen something like that.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In my humble opinion; it all comes down to 2 very specific things. LOVE for the characters and BRAND LOYALTY.

LOVE:
Fans who really love these characters and who have devoted a sizeable chunk of their lives, philosophies & identities to the example these arch-type iconic heroes represent. (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash etc...)
BRAND LOYALTY:
Those fans who feel like any critique or criticism of these beloved characters in any medium (Comics, Movies, etc...) is much the same as attacking, belittling or questioning a person's religion or political beliefs or points of view. (And they simply WILL NOT stand for it.).

But this can be said of ANY endeavor in which people are passionate about. (SPORTS, POLITICS, RELIGION, NATIONALISM, RACE RELATIONS, GENDER ROLES & EQUALITY, SCIFI etc...). :dunno:

Can't argue with any of this and you and I rarely agree on damn near anything when it comes to this genre.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
And would have felt completely out of place, since they never ever hinted at there being other universes or superheroes with powers. Not even a simple newspaper article.
The ending of DKR fell flat. Had they hinted at a bigger universe from Batman Begins onward it would have worked.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Can't argue with any of this and you and I rarely agree on damn near anything when it comes to this genre.

So, we finally agree on something.
That's one helluva a thing, isn't it?
And much like the Pilgrims and Indians; today we've come together in a mutual fashion.

Happy Thanksgiving, Tical... ;)

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Nope! Chris Nolan and his brother were absolutely against the metahuman aspect of the Batman-verse. His stuff was based on "practical" dynamics...no "superheroes/mythical stuff." That's why you got somewhat practical villains in the Joker and Bane(The league) and not the likes of Victor Fries aka Mr.Freeze or Clayface.

It's also reported one of the big reasons why he declined being head of the DCEU originally and suggested Synder for that title and Man of Steel.

Introducing Superman or a metahuman as you've suggested would have undermined all the prior movies and his overall Batman trilogy.
Fuck Nolan and his brother. They are the reason we got a dark ass moody Superman in MOS.

They were the best and worst thing to happen to superhero films.

The last half of DKR took away from the practical world they built on.

Last edited:

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
OMG thank you

Bioboosted!
you don't see the hate for GL? what you been doing, staring at the eclipse? o_O

Explain your issue with it.

I'm not a DC fan, so I don't know much about the history of the character(s). For me, it was a decent intro into the Green Lantern character. I also don't care much about special effects, so that is a non issue for me as well.

The biggest problem for me and this includes most comic based movies was the villain. However, that was even a decent set up for what could have been the next film or so.

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Cause Marvel be crushing it?!!!:dunno: ....and they know it....like watching your football team have another losing season...again...and again....and again!!!

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
None of y'all see the real reason the DCU movies are failing.

Neither Snyder nor Nolan...

...like superheroes. In fact they obviously hate them.

Snyder made a Superman with none of the innocent optimism we've grown to love, and Nolan made a Batman who was more James Bond than Dark Knight Detective.

Neither of them were intimately familiar with the source material before they worked on the movies.

At the helm you have 2 creatives who don't like super empowered beings saving the day instead of fanboys making love letters to icons with legions of fans.

And isn't that the whole point of this?