Jordan Peele (from Key & Peele) made a horror movie: Get Out (4 Oscar nominations)

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You may be right. But shit, if they end up going with the castration angle, im shocked they even got funding for something as "sensitive" as that would have to be for the major film companies.
scary flick anything is allowed..hell u wanna hear a joke that is actually true..the movie scream was originally suppose to be an nc-17 release..wes craven and a few people couldn't get the people that did the rating systen to go down for nothing as far as making it rated r/pg-13.. the producer walked in the office of the rating system dudes and told them hey guys it's not a horror flick it's a comedy and dats how they convinced them to drop the nc-17 rating... somebody prob got funding for this project claiming it was a comedy and they laughed and gave them the dough

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
You may be right. But shit, if they end up going with the castration angle, im shocked they even got funding for something as "sensitive" as that would have to be for the major film companies.
right now key and peele got the juice so to speak. keanu was actually a success
striking while the iron is hot and actually trying to show something different rather than do the safe buddy comedy route.
it's a new day KINDA

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
This shit is a horror film for blacks but a comedy for whites... CACs going to be there laughing and shit like its funny to them, while brothers going be ready to fly the head off..

sammyjax

Grand Puba of Science
Platinum Member
Call me crazy, I think things are kind of changing man.

KIND OF.

I think the timing is good, given how Atlanta was proof of concept re mainstream success of a totally black story.

They've always been fascinated by us, the numbers on Atlanta bore that out on a huge scale.

sammyjax

Grand Puba of Science
Platinum Member
This shit is a horror film for blacks but a comedy for whites... CACs going to be there laughing and shit like its funny to them, while brothers going be ready to fly the head off..
Nah man, they do not find exposure of their fuckery funny at all.

Even when it's satire, it has to be damn near slapstick for it not to touch a nerve w them.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Nah man, they do not find exposure of their fuckery funny at all.

Even when it's satire, it has to be damn near slapstick for it not to touch a nerve w them.
They wont look at it as exposure, they will be like..
"Hey Tom, did you see that new tailor from one of those Key and Pelle dudes where all the blacks all of a sudden started turning into 1800's slaves.... The shit was hilarious seeing them go back in time while the rest of the world is normal, dude you got to see it.."

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
They wont look at it as exposure, they will be like..
"Hey Tom, did you see that new tailor from one of those Key and Pelle dudes where all the blacks all of a sudden started turning into 1800's slaves.... The shit was hilarious seeing them go back in time while the rest of the world is normal, dude you got to see it.."

False.
That's what they said when White Chicks came out
This shit looks to be nothing like that.
Just like the Luke Cage shit they complaining about cause a series about a black super hero in harlem doesn't have enough white people in it lol

and what they REALLY mean is
white people in power. There are white cops on the show
But the main detective is a black woman
the politician is a black woman
the d.a. is a black man
the captain was a black woman and got replaced by another educated black woman
pop's owned his own business.
it would be PERFECTLY fine if cage was the black hero surrounded by white owners and politicians and he had to answer to white people.
but the minute you show a world where white people aren't NEEDED
there is a HUGE issue

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
False.
Just like the Luke Cage shit they complaining about cause a series about a black super hero in harlem doesn't have enough white people in it lol

the d.a. is a black man
it would be PERFECTLY fine if cage was the black hero surrounded by white owners and politicians and he had to answer to white people.
there is a HUGE issue
You guys are way too up tight and need to realize what I said was in tongue in cheek not to be taken literally..
My point is the thought of us going back to slaves is humors to racist while the biggest horror film to us blacks..
My statement actually gets to the core of racism by attacking the white man's notion of the good old days to them was nothing but a horror show to us..
But I guess that flew over your guys heads...

TFN Crew

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This looks like a dam good movie - I love horror films and this looks like a horror film with a twist. Looks like Peele did his thing. It does have the same vibe as "The Visit".

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

On his own sketch show — Key and Peele — Jordan Peele has already played a vampire, a dying demon child, and a man trapped in a breakfast-centric vision of hell, but now the comedian is embracing the darkness completely. Peele has written and directed Get Out, a scary psychological horror movie that follows a young black man as he meets his white girlfriend's family. They seem to accept him into their idyllic upper-middle class lifestyle, but as the first trailer shows, things might not be as nice as they seem.

That's not all the trailer shows: the two-minute clip manages to cram enough plot points in that it makes watching the final movie seem slightly pointless, explaining the family's unsavory hobbies, as well as showing the fate of other black people in the community. If you're aiming to watch Get Out when it hits screens in February, maybe only watch the first minute of this trailer — that's more than enough to make Peele's proper horror debut seem properly interesting

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.co...e-star-talks-about-his-upcoming-horror-movie/
At Saturday’s “A Salute to Comedy Central” event at PaleyFest in Hollywood, Rotten Tomatoes chatted with Jordan Peele of Key & Peele. Peele discussed his upcoming horror film, Get Out, which he wrote and will direct for Darko Entertainment this summer. Horror, as it turns out, is one of Peele’s biggest passions — and not so different from comedy after all.

Sarah Ricard for Rotten Tomatoes: This past season of Key & Peele was a critical success and one of the things critics say is it’s much darker.

Jordan Peele: I think it’s always been pretty dark, but I’m a very dark person in soul. I just love it. I think death is the grand absurdity and I tend to veer things in that direction because I feel like these are the things we need to laugh about. I feel like the purpose of comedy is to offer relief to the daily darkness that we see everywhere… so, yeah, I can see that. You know, I’m going to be directing a horror movie in the summer.

RT: You are?

Peele: I’m going totally in a satirical, sort of horror, social world. It’s called Get Out. The lead is a black man, which is already an atypical horror movie. I don’t think it’s been done since People Under the Stairsand Night of the Living Dead. I’m obsessed with the link between horror and comedy. I think they’re very close. They’re both about getting a very physical kind of reaction. It’s about tension and it’s about the release of tension.

RT: So, is Get Out comedic?

Peele: At its most comedic, it’ll be like Scream or the original Stepford Wives. So, no, it’s a horror movie, but it’s a satirical premise.

RT: Have you ever directed anything before?

Peele: I have not, but this is my truest passion. I kind of thought I never would be entrusted with a few million dollars to make something and somebody has made what might be the awful mistake of entrusting me with their money.

RT: Well, there’s no history of bad horror movies.

Peele: Yeah, this is the other thing. There’s so much bad stuff out there and, like, twenty great [horror] films in total.

RT: That’s so exciting. You really do have a dark side.

Peele: Ooooh, yeah.

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
Hell yeah. brotha tryna diversify. He don't always want to be attached to key & peele. If your gonna be an actor then the key is to act, stretch, grow but don't do the same shit over and over again. He showe you he can do the comedy now he flexing his writing & directing skills. On the strength of his efforts alone Ima go TO THE MOVIES AND WATCH THE JOINT!! He getting every bit of my $10!!!!

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Me too. They are good writers.

Wow that was twisted, sick yet funny at the same time, like I said earlier their writing skill is so good that it wouldn't take much to make some of their sketches into any type of movie they want it to be..

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
lol that nigga was that goofy comedian sidekick from the fades. damn he really made it

fun fact dude who plays leo fitz in shield was the lead

Last edited:

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
False.

the d.a. is a black man
there is a HUGE issue

yep there were white folks in teh movie , they just werent the central power figure of the movie and thats what angered these cacs ! lol

i read somewhere said "they were making black jokes" that made her feel left out !! :roflmao: like shit we've grown accustomed to for eons and just kept watching ,all the "inside italian,jewish,polish greek etc jokes" and we found a way to translate and keep watching the movie ..and here these folks are speaking "english" but somehow thats too much, cos it aint about them !!:beatyourass::beatyourass:

mk23666

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He aint getting out ... He's going to be another lost Black guy in the rural suburbs, and the daughter looks like she might be in on it consciously or subconsciously. Digging in her purse on the stairs while her man is fighting for his life.

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
:eek2:

HE FUCKING DID IT...

HE WAS TALKING ABOUT IT FOR YEARS...

FOLKS DIDNT KNOW IF HE WAS FOR REAL OR NOT...

I FORGOT ABOUT IT TILL I HEARD PERRI TALKING ABOUT IT ON COLLIDER...

THIS AINT NO COMEDY, THIS SOME TWILIGHT ZONE SHIT.

I don't even really like horror but as a student of film... I'm impressed, I'm there!

AGAIN

:eek2:

oNE

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
I went to see Birth of A Nation and seen this trailer and was scared as fuck in the theater. I haven't felt that way in a long time. :lol:
And that was just off the trailer.

Who got a link to the script?

RepostKing

Back up Modrator
Registered
Oh fucking shit!!!!!! Yo that has to be one of the sickest trailers! Yo please we must support this movie when it comes out!!!

tajshan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He aint getting out ... He's going to be another lost Black guy in the rural suburbs, and the daughter looks like she might be in on it consciously or subconsciously. Digging in her purse on the stairs while her man is fighting for his life.
yeah, that should a tip off that his girl was the lure..

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Jordan Peele’s Genius New Horror Movie Shows the Terror of Being Black in World Full of White People

24-get-out.w529.h352.jpg

You think it’s scary being a black person? Just wait until you see the nightmare scenario Jordan Peele cooked up in his genius new horror film (and directorial debut) Get Out, which premiered to raucous applause at a surprise midnight screening at Sundance last night.

By far the most entertaining movie I’ve seen this festival so far, Get Out is a taut look at what really happens when a black man (Daniel Kaluuya) meets the liberal parents of his white girlfriend (Allison Williams). Peele, an avowed horror fan, says he envisioned the movie as a piece missing from his beloved genre. “I wrote this with the idea of making my favorite movie that doesn’t exist, and very quickly realized it’s a movie no one will ever make,” he said in his intro. So he made it himself, with the help of Blumhouse, the horror studio behind Insidious and The Gift. Horror has long been a conduit for exploring gender stereotypes and social fears, but no matter how progressive the film, there's usually one role that always holds true: If you’re a black dude in a horror movie, you know you're going to die, quickly. Just by making a black man the protagonist, Peele's movie is already revolutionary.

It also happens to be one of the sharpest commentaries I've ever seen on what it's like to be black in a white world. The movie opens not with Kaluuya’s character, but with another black man, played by Atlanta's Lakeith Stanfield, walking down the eerily empty street of a rich white suburb. He’s lost and he has a bad feeling. “I stick out like a sore thumb,” he tells a friend on the phone, his voice quivering. It’s a brilliant send-up of the white fear of having black people in their neighborhoods. This will not end well for him.

Peele knows that in this genre there are no throwaway moments, so when that opening scene cuts to a second black man, Chris (Kaluuya), you’re already afraid for him. [SPOILERS AHEAD.] He’s packing to meet the parents of his white girlfriend, Rose (Williams), but she hasn’t told them he’s black. It’s okay, Rose assures him, “My dad would’ve voted for Obama a third time if he could have.” (Williams really knows how to play white liberals, with just the right blend of innocence and self-congratulation.) Still, Chris’s best friend, a fast-talking TSA agent played by comedian Lil Rel Howery, has reservations: “Don’t go to a white woman’s house!”

As promised, Rose’s parents welcome Chris with open arms. Her neurosurgeon dad (Bradley Whitford) does indeed tell him he would’ve voted for Obama a third time. But he also tells him that his father, and Rose's grandfather, lost at the Olympics to Jesse Owens and has Aryan nation leanings. GET OUT! Her psychiatrist mother (Catherine Keener) offers to hypnotize him so he can quit smoking. Okay, so that’s a little weird. GET OUT! Then the unsettling questions start to pile up. Why do the family’s two black servants walk around with blank stares, fixed smiles, and unwavering obedience? Why is it that Georgina, the housekeeper, keeps petting her hair in the window? And why did Walter, the groundskeeper, seem hostile when asking Chris about his intentions with Rose? And why do we see that same black man from the opening scene at Rose’s family’s party, dressed like he’s from the 1950s, as the romantic companion of a woman 30 years his senior? GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT!

Chris is smart enough to know that something is very wrong, both with these zombified black people and his girlfriend’s super-over-accommodating white family — and, boy, is it fun watching him figure out what amazing evil lies in the suburbs. “I just watched it for the first time without getting to fiddle with it, and that’s a fucking crazy movie!” said Peele as the lights came up. The only clue I’ll give, which is pretty obvious in the trailer, is that one of Peele's favorite movies is The Stepford Wives: “The way it dealt with gender is something that made me think, Hey, that’s proof that you can pull off a movie about race that’s [both] a thriller and that’s entertaining and fun.”

Peele has been working on this movie for eight years, and he'd like to make it clear that it's not based on his wife Chelsea Peretti’s family (he started writing it before he met her), though he predicts that after the movie's out “she will claim it’s based on her family because she wants to fuck with them." The idea actually started, he said, when Barack Obama and Hillary were facing off in the 2008 Democratic primaries: "All of a sudden the country was kind of focused on black civil rights and women’s civil rights movements and where they intersect, and there was kind of this question of, who deserves to be president more? Who’s waited long enough? Which is an absurd thing — that civil rights are even divided.” Thinking about those two groups’ intertwined fates got him thinking about The Stepford Wives, and the implications of having similarly submissive black people, whose ancestors had once been enslaved, as the paragon of perfection.

“For a while when we had a black president,” Peele reminded the crowd. “We were living in this sort of post-racial lie, this idea of, ‘We’re past it! We’re past it all!’ But all black people know there’s racism. I experience it on an everyday basis.” In one scene in the film, older white women stroke Chris’s biceps, and old white men ask if he knows Tiger Woods; as Peele put it, “there’s this monster of racism lurking underneath some of these seemingly innocent conversations and situations.”

Because he started writing Get Out in the Obama era, the movie is not a direct commentary on the 2016 election. Still, Peele said, because the movie is "coming out in a very different America than it began in ... it's more important and interesting now." The film may not change the minds of anyone in a Make America Great Again hat, but it may make some of the "good white people" who went to anti-Trump protests reconsider how racially progressive they really are.

“It was very important to me for this not to be about a black guy going to the South and going to this red state where the presumption for a lot of people is everybody’s racist there,” Peele said. “This was meant to take a stab at the liberal elite that tends to believe that ‘We’re above these things.’” In other words, before you point fingers at the white people in Get Out, ask yourself if you, too, ever done anything that might have made a terrified black man bash your head in with a croquet ball.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/01/jordan-peele-horror-movie-race-get-out-sundance-2017.html

Chitownheadbusa

♏|God|♏
BGOL Investor
“there’s this monster of racism lurking underneath some of these seemingly innocent conversations and situations.”

Got that shit right! Too bad a lot of Black folks dont recognize it. Because theyre so happy just to have a white person talking to them.

Anyways....First time seeing this. The thought if a "race based horror" kinda made me confused. But this looks like is has some quality acting in it. The premise seems interesting as well. Havent been to the movies in a while; cause aint shit good been put out. Also havent seen a good thriller/horror in a while. I might check it out.

Reactions: LSN