How Insecurity Almost Prevented Me From Supporting My Wife's Natural Hair Transition

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
*Transition even...can't edit thread title...

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/0...-supporting-my-wifes-natural-hair-transition/

When I met my wife, she was everything I wanted in a woman. She was educated, Black, took great care of herself, and had long flowy hair.

beforenatural-300x225.jpg

When I first met her

As a youngster, I was always encouraged by older men, my peers, and even some women to find a woman who had “good hair”. Equipped with this advice, my wife’s hair was the icing on the cake to complement her other wonderful qualities.

After dating for a while, my world got turned upside down as my wife uttered these dreadful words…”I am thinking about going natural”. At this point I thought, what is a man to do when his wife is thinking about getting rid of the icing on the cake? Now, I had seen tons of women who were natural and I admired their look (one of those women being my mother), but for some reason I did not feel natural was for my woman.

As the days went by, I progressively started researching as much as I could about the entire natural process to figure out what in the heck my wife was about to do to herself. As I learned more and more about the process, my mind started playing tricks on me. The questions in my mind began to transform from being about why my wife would want to be natural to why did I want to keep her from being natural. This is the point I started evaluating myself instead of my wife.

So the million dollar question is why did I want to keep my wife from embracing her natural hair?

Insecurity
The truth is that I was insecure. I was insecure in the fact that my wife had to cut her hair. I was insecure in the fact that she would have a TWA (Tiny Weeny Afro). And I was insecure in the fact that she could possibly look different. The underlying issue was that I was not comfortable in my own manhood, because subconsciously, I felt I would be less of a man if my wife did not have long flowy hair. It was not about her, it was about me and my insecurities.

Blinded
I was blinded by so many things including Eurocentric values, the media, and my own people.

Growing up in a country where the standards are based on Eurocentric values, I fell into the trap of thinking that my definition of beauty was supposed to be the same as their definition of beauty. This false sense of understanding lead to me having the spirit of oppression towards my beautiful Black sistas, including my wife. Sadly, I tried to place those Eurocentric values on my Afrocentric queens.

I was also blinded by the numerous images of “beauty” that were portrayed in the media. Anytime I would see a Black woman who was in movies, music videos, pageants, or on any day time television, she had long flowy hair. This played into my psyche and caused me to think that these women were the definition of beauty.

Finally, I was blinded by my own people (including myself) who constantly displayed self-hate. The men constantly spoke about how women with short hair or non-straight hair were nappy headed and sistas put tons of weave in their head for the purposes of “increasing their beauty”. We created the thought that we were not beautiful the way God created us.

The Reality

Cut-again-600x338.jpg

Cut-again
This is Her Today (4 Years Later), Looking Spectacular

I am blessed to have a wife who challenged me by not giving in to my insecurities. Her journey of rediscovering herself was a pivotal point in my life because I also discovered myself through the process. I broke free of oppression and am now one of the biggest advocates for my beautiful sistas returning to their natural roots. Since the blinders are off, I would not want my wife to be any way other than natural.

Moral of the article is brothers support our beautiful natural queens and sistas embrace your natural beauty!

For more of Corey’s writings, check out his website The Genuine Scholar. Also check out his free e-book Supporting Your Queen on Her Journey of Returning to Being Natural.

http://thegenuinescholar.com/the-reasons-i-did-not-want-my-wife-to-be-natural/

---------

Wife's response:

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/0...d-learned-to-support-my-natural-hair-journey/ :cool:

Last edited:

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
Re: How Insecurity Almost Prevented Me From Supporting My Wife's Natural Hair Transis

I'm always amazed by guys who aren't the pick of the litter themselves criticizing their wives change.

But glad he could catch himself.

shanebp1978

Super Moderator
Re: How Insecurity Almost Prevented Me From Supporting My Wife's Natural Hair Transis

I'm always amazed by guys who aren't the pick of the litter themselves criticizing their wives change.

All that he spoke upon concerning beauty and it's subjectivity and your only response is to criticize his looks.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered

All that he spoke upon concerning beauty and it's subjectivity and your only response is to criticize his looks.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Absolutely. Because that's all i said. I totally didn't write, "i'm glad he caught himself."

Nope. Totally didn't write that. :hmm:

shanebp1978

Super Moderator

Absolutely. Because that's all i said. I totally didn't write, "i'm glad he caught himself."

Nope. Totally didn't write that. :hmm:

There, there chile.

See, your previous statement grossly overshadows your disingenuous half jape.

o·ver·shad·ow
/ˌōvərˈSHadō/
Verb

1. Tower above and cast a shadow over.
2. Cast a gloom over: "tragedy overshadows his story".

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered

There, there chile.

See, your previous statement grossly overshadows your disingenuous half jape.

o·ver·shad·ow
/ˌōvərˈSHadō/
Verb

1. Tower above and cast a shadow over.
2. Cast a gloom over: "tragedy overshadows his story".

Your issue. Not mine.

M.H.C.

BGOL Investor

Man i'm glad he came around. There is nothing more beautiful than natural hair. Especially when it grows. My future wife has natural hair and I love it more than anything else. I HATE weaves. Her hair has grown so much.

Hell there is a girl I know who also has natural hair and she always has so many different and cute hairstyles.

A woman who decides to go "natural" and is not lazy and does her hair>>>>>>>>>>>>

I get what you are trying to say and he shouldn't be criticizing her but........

If the dude looked like whoever your ideal type is, does that give him the right to criticize? I don't think so. No woman or man will ever look good enough to debase me or you as a person.

I get where the man is coming from though. If my woman wanted to go bald, i'd have a problem initially because she's wanting to get rid of a part of her that I have grown to love. You don't need to look a certain way or be physically gifted to feel a certain way.

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered

Man i'm glad he came around. There is nothing more beautiful than natural hair. Especially when it grows. My future wife has natural hair and I love it more than anything else. I HATE weaves. Her hair has grown so much.

Hell there is a girl I know who also has natural hair and she always has so many different and cute hairstyles.

A woman who decides to go "natural" and is not lazy and does her hair>>>>>>>>>>>>

I get what you are trying to say and he shouldn't be criticizing her but........

If the dude looked like whoever your ideal type is, does that give him the right to criticize? I don't think so. No woman or man will ever look good enough to debase me or you as a person.

I get where the man is coming from though. If my woman wanted to go bald, i'd have a problem initially because she's wanting to get rid of a part of her that I have grown to love. You don't need to look a certain way or be physically gifted to feel a certain way.

I have my own thoughts on this.

RepostKing

Back up Modrator
Registered

Brugh I hate to tell this but I smashed that chic in your post backstage 2 years ago. Please say its some random pic. I'm no homewrecker :smh:

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Cute thread. Click the first tweet and follow down. Click "show more" when it appears.