49ers

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Just a quick heads up
WR Mike Williams (Clemson) just ran a 4.50 at his pro day
4.50 pro day run, is like a 4.55 combine run

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/3/16/14945048/mike-williams-40-clemson-pro-day-deshaun-watson

That's decent, not great, but decent
I don't think Williams will be quite as good as Dez Bryant, but he definitely will be better than Laquon Treadwell
I think Mike Williams could have a good career (like a poor mans Anquan Boldin), BUT he needs a speedy Torrey Smith type of guy to compliment him, on the other side of the field

That being said, I think I like Corey Davis a tiny bit more than Mike Williams
Williams is better at high pointing the football
But Corey Davis runs faster, gets better separation, and is a better route runner

:cool::cool::cool:

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Film breakdown: How does Jimmie Ward fit as the FS in the 4-3
http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/3/...how-does-jimmie-ward-fit-as-the-fs-in-the-4-3

This article was just posted on NinersNation today
Sooo lets talk about the draft again
Here are the guys I think we really need to target in the draft, to take our team to the next level
1. DE - Myles Garrett (Would complete our front 4 D-line)
2. S -- Malik Hooker (Would complete our secondary)
3. CB - Marshon Lattimore (Would also complete our secondary)
4. WR - Corey Davis (Would complete our passing offense)
5. WR - Mike Williams (Would also complete our passing offense)

Bottom line is, in order for this new (4-3 under) defense to work, we need to figure out where to play Jimmie Ward
Our defense won't be shit, unless we have a guy who can play as good or better than Earl Thomas
Scenario #1:
Okay lets say we slide Jimmie Ward to the single high safety role
That probably means we need to draft a CB, like Marshon Lattimore
Brock is trash, he got burnt with 2 safeties over the top, so guess what will happen with only 1 safety over the top next year
Brock needs to be on the bench, as the backup only
I actually like Rashard Robinson to start, he's a good cover corner, dude played lights out the end of this year
Rashard Robinson ----- Jimmie Ward ----- Marshon Lattimore
That would give us a good secondary for years

Now here are the questions
Can Ward play as good as Earl Thomas? Hummm maybe
Can Ward stay healthy all season long? Hummm
How much of a ball hawk can he be? He doesn't have a whole lot of interceptions in the NFL or in college
Who will be his backup? Reid & Tartt are not fast enough, they dont have enough range. Ward is the only one on our roster that can
What happens when we give Ward a new contract next year? Do you realize we will have to pay him the highest salary for a safety in the NFL
Why you ask? Ward played really good this year at CB. So he's already proven he can be a damn good outside CB, so he will want corner money
It would almost be like Jimmy Graham asking for WR money, even though he played TE with the Saints/Seahawks
Which brings me to our next scenario

Scenario #2:
Draft Malik Hooker?
I'm a little worried about his injury history, dude is coming off a sports hernia, or something like that
He's only had 1 year starting, so he's still raw & still needs to work on his tackling
His 1st NFL year he probably would need to be rotated in on obvious passing downs, let Ward rotate on running downs
With that being said.....dude is a straight ball hawk, like Ed Reed
Hooker has more INT's in 1 year starting than Ward has had his whole college & NFL career
Hooker has speed/range + size + leaping ability + huge hands
Rashard Robinson ----- Malik Hooker ----- Jimmie Ward
That would also give us a good secondary for years

Sooooo which scenario do we go with ??? :confused:
I know I posted this clip, but I'll do it again, check out this youtube vid of, Malik Hooker scouting report & the 4-3 under single high safety position

:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:

Last edited:

LADYTEE

female pimp
BGOL Investor
Curt what do you think about Jamal Adams at #2 I'm not really feeling Thomas at #2 but now they saying the NINERS is one of four teams looking at McCaffrey

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Curt what do you think about Jamal Adams at #2 I'm not really feeling Thomas at #2 but now they saying the NINERS is one of four teams looking at McCaffrey

Sometimes, you never can tell what will happen with these rookies, BUT.....
Honestly, I think that safety Jamal Adams is going to be a probowler
He's a complete safety, just as good as Eric Berry, that plays for the KC Chiefs

The only issue is remember we are switching our defense to what Seattle Seahawks defense looks like
So, Jamal Adams would be playing the Kam Chancellor role
The safety who plays close to the line, helps out with run support, & lays a big hit every once in a while

Problem with us is, we already have both Eric Reed & J. Tartt who are going to be playing that same position
Jamal Adams would be an upgrade over both, but still, we already have both Reed & Tartt
Neither of them can play the Earl Thomas (single high safety) role
Jimmy Ward is the only one on our roster that can, sooooo what happens if/when he gets injured?

But yea, I get what you are saying
Malik Hooker is very raw, only 1 year starting
But he does 1 thing very well...get interceptions by using his elite speed to cover ground quickly
Its kind of a gamble at #2 though, but the single high safety role is just as important as a passrushing D-line player (Myles Garrett)

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
if we take McCaffrey @ #2
lol

LOL yea I know
McCaffrey is like a Wes Welker type of running back
I can definitely see the Patriots taking him
I'm not sure where McCaffrey is projected to go, round 2 or 3
But I know Kyle Shannahan likes those multipurpose running backs also

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I also like that D-line player Solomon Thomas
He kinda reminds me of a young Justin Smith

The only problem with us taking Thomas, is that he would be playing the same position as Arik Armstead
Thomas was much more effective rushing from inside in college, rather than from the edge, just like Justin Smith
Myles Garrett is that edge rusher we need, whos similar to Von Miller

LADYTEE

female pimp
BGOL Investor
Don't be surprised if Reid is trade bait on draft day lol.,..He had what at least three concussions...He wasn't playing his usual self last season.,.Oh I see Lynch was having dinner with kizer lol

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Here’s Why New 49ers Coach Kyle Shanahan Doesn’t Want Colin Kaepernick

Colin Kaepernick once quarterbacked the San Francisco 49ers to back-to-back NFC Championship Games, but now the signal caller is struggling to find a job. Kaepernick became a free agent after opting out of his contract with the 49ers at the start of the new league year. But despite being worthy of a roster spot, Kaepernick still remains on the open market. ADVERTISING Several members of the football world have given their two cents as to why Kaepernick remains unsigned, including Richard Sherman and Joe Thomas.

The common theme among most of these opinions is Kaepernick’s polarizing nature could be unappealing to inquiring teams. The six-year NFL veteran sent shockwaves around the sports world last year when he opted to kneel during the Star-Spangled Banner as a means of raising awareness to social injustice. Though Kaepernick has pledged to stand during the anthem in the upcoming season, the damage could already be done in the eyes of league front offices. One team you can bank on not pursuing Kaepernick is his former squad in San Francisco. New 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan spoke with reporters Wednesday, and while he respects Kaepernick’s game, he doesn’t believe it’s a good fit for his system.

“Colin’s had a great career, and he’s done some really good things,” Shanahan told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I think Colin has a certain skill set that you can put a specific offense to it that he can be very successful in. “When we first looked at it … that wasn’t necessarily the direction I wanted to go. The type of offense I wanted to run was somewhat different and that’s why we went that type of direction.”
:idea:

Judging by the relative lack of interest around the league, it’s safe to say Shanahan isn’t the only head coach not pursuing Kaepernick’s services.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2017/03/heres-why-new-49ers-coach-kyle-shanahan-didnt-want-colin-kaepernick/

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I hope the woman is ok and didn't suffer any harm
but I was elated to hear he got arrested because that means he was done.

Im glad that they got rid of him!!..he was getting burn and cant cover WRs for shit last season!!!..:smh::smh:..Also, his dumbass went and got arrested for domestic assault!!..BYE!!!..

Damn they fired him only 1 day after his arrest of..... suspected..... domestic violence
Welp if this was any other player I would care, but since it's Brock, good riddance

I like the part of the article that says,
"He was scheduled to enter the final season of a four-year, $14 million contract in 2017 with a cap hit of $4.3 million. His release saves the team, which already had a league-leading $70 million in salary cap space, $3.55 million."

They gave Brock the DJ Jazzy Jeff treatment.....

j0hR6q8.gif

:shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades:

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
San Francisco 49ers regular season schedule:

Week 1: vs. Carolina Panthers, 1:25 p.m., FOX, Sunday, September 10
Week 2: @ Seattle Seahawks, 1:25 p.m., FOX, Sunday, September 17
Week 3: vs. Los Angeles Rams, 5:25 p.m., NFL Network, Thursday, September 21
Week 4: @ Arizona Cardinals, 1:05 p.m., FOX, Sunday, October 1
Week 5: @ Indianapolis Colts, 10:00 a.m., FOX, Sunday, October 8
Week 6: @ Washington, 10:00 a.m., FOX, Sunday, October 15
Week 7: vs. Dallas Cowboys, 1:05 p.m., FOX, Sunday, October 22
Week 8: @ Philadelphia Eagles, 10:00 a.m., FOX, Sunday, October 29
Week 9: vs. Arizona Cardinals, 1:05 p.m., FOX, Sunday, November 5
Week 10: vs. New York Giants, 1:25 p.m., FOX, Sunday, November 12
Week 11: BYE
Week 12: vs. Seattle Seahawks, 1:05 p.m., FOX, November 26
Week 13: @ Chicago Bears, 10:00 a.m., FOX, Sunday, December 3
Week 14: @ Houston Texans, 10:00 a.m., FOX, Sunday, December 10
Week 15: vs. Tennessee Titans, 1:25 p.m., CBS, Sunday, December 17
Week 16: vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, 1:05 p.m., CBS, Sunday, December 24
Week 17: @ Los Angeles Rams, 1:25 p.m., FOX, Sunday, December 31

Primetime games: Week 3 vs. Los Angeles Rams (TNF)
(All times shown are PST, west coast time)

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
John Lynch: 49ers have not decided on Jimmie Ward’s fifth year option
http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/4/24/15412170/john-lynch-49ers-jimmie-ward-fifth-year-option

Also pay attention to this paragraph:
"If the 49ers decide to exercise the option, Ward would be paid the option price for a cornerback. The pay is based on the position at which the player played the most snaps in his third year. That was last for Ward, and he played exclusively at cornerback. Last year, the cornerback fifth year option was worth $8,026,000. The safety option was $5,676,000. Given the 49ers sizable cap space, either number is not really a huge deal."

This is what I was saying before
Jimmie Ward can play BOTH positions, and he's already proven last year that he can play outside corner pretty damn well
So sliding him to safety would mean a possible pay cut
Look at the difference between the corner option & the safety option salary....thats 2.5 million dollars
I know we have the cap room now, BUT what happens next offseason when we have to give him a new contract

Also, think about this
Ward is literally the ONLY person on the whole team that can play the single high safety role effectively
But yet Lynch & Shannahan still have not picked up his 5th year option
What does that tell you
It means they have to be seriously thinking about drafting a single high safety in round 1 or round 2
Look at their actions, not just the words coming out their mouth

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The good and not so good from the 49ers first practice with Kyle Shanahan
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/good-good-49ers-first-practice-kyle-shanahan/
(This is a Grant Cohn article, so take it with a grain of salt)

Now, to the players.

THE GOOD

1. CB Rashard Robinson. Broke up a short pass intended for Pierre Garcon, then intercepted a deep pass intended for Rashad Ross two plays later. Hoyer threw both passes. Robinson clearly was the best cornerback on the field.
  2. DE Tank Carradine. Started at strong-side defensive end (six-technique), lined up across from the tight end, frequently broke into the backfield and grabbed the running back on running plays. Carradine is in great shape. I’d guess he weighs 260 pounds.
  3. QB Matt Barkley. Threw the best pass of practice – a beautiful deep ball with perfect trajectory over the head of cornerback Steve Williams and into the hands of wide receiver DeAndre Carter who was sprinting down the left sideline.
THE NOT SO GOOD

1. DE Aaron Lynch. Fat. Out of shape. Big gut. Played mostly with the second-stringers and looked winded after plays. Lynch used to be a lean, young force coming off the edge. Now, he’s eating himself out of the league. What a shame. He looks like he weighs at least 285 pounds. He needs to lose at least 15 before the season starts.
  2. RB Mike Davis. Dropped a short pass in the flat.
  3. RB DuJuan Harris. The only running back who fumbled during team drills. Ray-Ray Armstrong stripped Harris and Harris quickly jumped on the ball to recover his fumble.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
We shoulda went with Jamal Adams, I worry that Thomas ain't nasty enough

Yea I'm not feeling the Thomas pick at all
And ya'll know I wanted Malik Hooker anyway

Where is Soloman Thomas even going to line up ???
Are they going to have him rushing from the edge ???
Cause thats not what he did a lot of in college
Are they going to have him inside ???
Cause he's a little undersized for the NFL
And what does this mean for Arik Armstead ???

:smh::smh::smh:

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'm trying to figure out our D-line formation
I assume the coaches want both Armstead & Buckner on the outside b/c of their height

NT -- Earl Mitchell
He will be lined up, going up against both the Center & the Guard
Responsible for holding the point of attack & commanding a double team
I guess Mike Purcell will back him up

3-tech -- Soloman Thomas
He will be lined up, going up against the other Guard
Responsible for stopping the run on running downs & bringing inside pressure on passing downs
This is exactly what he did in college, this should be his natural position
He might have to gain about 5+ more pounds of muscle though, 275 is kinda light
Thomas played the run pretty well in college & has good/violent hands to shed blockers & get to the QB
Thomas kinda reminds me of a poor mans Aaron Donald or smaller Justin Smith
But we will see what happens
I guess Ronald Blair will back him up
This is the position I thought Armstead would play
But I guess with his height, it would be hard to get consistent leverage against shorter guards ???

Leo -- Deforest Buckner ???
I think the Leo lines up against the left tackle?
This would be the perfect position for Myles Garrett with his speed coming around the QB's blind side
I guess Tank Carradine will back him up?

5-tech -- Arik Armstead ???
I think the 5tech lines up against the right tackle?
I guess maybe Quinton Dial would back him up?

SAM Linebacker -- Ahmad Brooks?
I think the SAM LB comes up near the line to bring occasional pressure & cover TE's ?

Do I have this correct, would this be our best lineup ???

:idea::idea::idea: