Marquez Diaz II

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I know niggas is going to be streaming this bullshit PPV but I have to admit I was shocked to Casamayor on the undercard and I'm interest to see how he looks.

I thought Casamayor was done.

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man, as lackluster a year this has been for fight fans, I would be willing to pay for this one. Give me ANYTHING right about now! Especially these two! Did you see the last one?

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And yes, Casamayor should be done. He's 39, hasn't fought in almost a year, and definitely has lost more than a step, but what else is he gonna do? Go back to Cuba? Fighting is all he knows.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
Casamayor, who used to be one of my favorite fighters, has been done for a minute. The unfortunate thing is, fighters like him always struggle later in life because their skillset doesn't normally translate to aging. A fighter like Marquez, while you can definitely see a decline, will have a better shelf life because his style is not predicated so much on movement but timing and ring smarts. Casamayor is more of a good name to have on your resume and a gate keeper than a threat at this point... :smh:

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree. You live by the speed, you die by the speed, and the legs are the FIRST thing to go.

Being a gatekeeper is not the worst way to end your career though, unless you take too many punches to the head doing it. That's something that Marquez already does, which is the only thing that concerns me about him. He's never had good head movement.

bookman

Support BGOL
Registered
i cant find any streaming links...it took me a year to get my dad to watch the first fight he went crazy and he kinda stopped watching boxing the last decade

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Casamayor, who used to be one of my favorite fighters, has been done for a minute. The unfortunate thing is, fighters like him always struggle later in life because their skillset doesn't normally translate to aging. A fighter like Marquez, while you can definitely see a decline, will have a better shelf life because his style is not predicated so much on movement but timing and ring smarts. Casamayor is more of a good name to have on your resume and a gate keeper than a threat at this point... :smh:

co-sign all this.... its just a fucking shame that dude didn't get a big payday

merce77

Star
Registered
YEAH!!!!!

cripwalk4va7bv.gif

That cac Pirog won me 2G tonite. :dance::dance::dance:

Been tellin cats at my job for a minute that Pirog would take Jacobs anytime!!! Felt bad takin half my homie's check but - just a lil!!:D:dance::dance::dance:

On that note - Guerrero ain't shit.:hmm:

And Diaz should just retire, and Amir Khan don't want no part of Marquez at this stage in his developement.:smh: That uppercut would murder Khan. And Rocky Juarez will always be a B fighter. Linares impressed me though.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
YEAH!!!!!

cripwalk4va7bv.gif

Been tellin cats at my job for a minute that Pirog would take Jacobs anytime!!! Felt bad takin half my homie's check but - just a lil!!:D:dance::dance::dance:

And Diaz should just retire, and Amir Khan don't want no part of Marquez at this stage in his developement.:smh: That uppercut would murder Khan. And Rocky Juarez will always be a B fighter. Linares impressed me though.

Didn't see Juarez and Linares

Guerrero and Casamayor was terrible.... but I'm glad Casa won. I just wish he didn't look like shit doing it.

I didn't know if Jacobs was ready for tougher comp and he self destructed under pressure.

Diaz must have known he didn't have much of a chance but he wanted
a decent check instead of trying to build himself back up. I think the plan for Diaz is to retire.

Marquez looked great to me. I think he could cause problems for all those cats down there. All those niiggas that want checks should probably try to get Hatton out of hiding before fucking with Marquez.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Didn't see Juarez and Linares

Guerrero and Casamayor was terrible.... but I'm glad Casa won. I just wish he didn't look like shit doing it.

I didn't know if Jacobs was ready for tougher comp and he self destructed under pressure.

Diaz must have known he didn't have much of a chance but he wanted
a decent check instead of trying to build himself back up. I think the plan for Diaz is to retire.

Marquez looked great to me. I think he could cause problems for all those cats down there. All those niiggas that want checks should probably try to get Hatton out of hiding before fucking with Marquez.

I know he wants to fight Manny again but that's not happening. A Hatton fight is doable and JMM would be retiring two fighters: first Diaz and then Hatton.

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When they said that Diaz was studying for the LSAT, I immediately knew that he had a guaranteed loss coming in his near future. Marquez don't study for nothin but fighting before his fights.

I can respect Diaz, though. He was in college at Univ. of Houston for a big part of his career, and he still managed to become world champion, but he always had something bigger in mind for when he left boxing.

I say, if you gonna go out, go out against the best, and protect ya head when you do it. He's gotta a career in politics to look forward to.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I know he wants to fight Manny again but that's not happening. A Hatton fight is doable and JMM would be retiring two fighters: first Diaz and then Hatton.

I was talking about Khan, Alexander and Bradley wanting to cash in on JMM. They should instead look at getting at Hatton first.

JMM vs Pac is another great option over Margarito but I know the fear in Pac's camp, is that there is still the possibility that Marquez could win.

Last edited:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
When they said that Diaz was studying for the LSAT, I immediately knew that he had a guaranteed loss coming in his near future. Marquez don't study for nothin but fighting before his fights.

I can respect Diaz, though. He was in college at Univ. of Houston for a big part of his career, and he still managed to become world champion, but he always had something bigger in mind for when he left boxing.

I say, if you gonna go out, go out against the best, and protect ya head when you do it. He's gotta a career in politics to look forward to.

I agree... I don't feel bad for Diaz cause he has options. I feel bad for those cats who only have boxing but they can never get over the hump.

Bxlegend

Rising Star
OG Investor
YEAH!!!!!

cripwalk4va7bv.gif

Merce!!!! I need your help here bro! I totally forgot about this card! Please work your magic and get some footage!I've been itching for this fight and blacked out! This is what married life does to you! Fauck!!

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I was talking about Khan, Alexander and Bradley wanting to cash in on JMM. They should instead look at getting at Hatton first.

JMM vs Pac is another great option over Margarito but I know the fear in Pac's camp, is that there is still the possibility that Marquez could win.

If GB matches Khan with Hatton, you know Ricky is done. Bradley, on the other hand, could really get a big boost from beating up Ricky Hatton. I just see Hatton going for the bigger payday in Marquez, a marquee name and HoF fighter.
Pacquiao wants less of Marquez now than he did before. It would be his first fight at 140 in a couple years after campaigning at welterweight. The same conditioning/weight games he played on Cotto and now Margarito would be flipped back on him. There's no way GB lets JMM fight at welter again, especially against Pacquiao.

I agree... I don't feel bad for Diaz cause he has options. I feel bad for those cats who only have boxing but they can never get over the hump.

:yes: Most uneducated, ignant ninjas won't have the type of money to back them up like a certain Michigan family when their career's over.

merce77

Star
Registered

Agreed, I remember my dad telling me years ago that this kid wouldn't make it to 30 as a fighter because of his style, he was right. Homie always had a plan though and it's refreshing to see that in a fighter.

I read on a latino news website that the plan is to clean out 135 first, I think Linares earned a title shot last night or something. Pac's camp doesn't want any part of Marquez at 140, and 147 is just out of the question for Marquez after his annihilation:)confused:) at the hands of Floyd. And btw, Marquez has laready beaten Pac twice in the eyes of many.

Merce!!!! I need your help here bro! I totally forgot about this card! Please work your magic and get some footage!I've been itching for this fight and blacked out! This is what married life does to you! Fauck!!

I got you.:D

If GB matches Khan with Hatton, you know Ricky is done. Bradley, on the other hand, could really get a big boost from beating up Ricky Hatton. I just see Hatton going for the bigger payday in Marquez, a marquee name and HoF fighter.
Pacquiao wants less of Marquez now than he did before. It would be his first fight at 140 in a couple years after campaigning at welterweight. The same conditioning/weight games he played on Cotto and now Margarito would be flipped back on him. There's no way GB lets JMM fight at welter again, especially against Pacquiao.

:yes: Most uneducated, ignant ninjas won't have the type of money to back them up like a certain Michigan family when their career's over.

^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

I see your point but it really comes down to whether Hatton thinks he is done or not. If he thinks his career is over he might want Marquez for payday with no chance of winning....

Or he could fight some of these cats with a little buzz for a smaller pay check and better odds on winning.

On the JMM v Pac tip. JMM has little room to make demands. Pac would pick the weight... I would not be surprised if he pulls this Margarito shit and have JMM fight at the 150 catch weight.

merce77

Star
Registered
I see your point but it really comes down to whether Hatton thinks he is done or not. If he thinks his career is over he might want Marquez for payday with no chance of winning....

Or he could fight some of these cats with a little buzz for a smaller pay check and better odds on winning.

On the JMM v Pac tip. JMM has little room to make demands. Pac would pick the weight... I would not be surprised if he pulls this Margarito shit and have JMM fight at the 150 catch weight.

JMM is already saying that he's sure the fight won't happen which means he ain't movin up to no ridiculous weight.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
JMM is already saying that he's sure the fight won't happen which means he ain't movin up to no ridiculous weight.

JMM knows Manny doesn't want any parts of him but if some how the shit happens... I bet everything I own that he will pull that type of shit instead of coming down in any way. Which is cool in my mind if you are the big dog you set the rules... but I think it would be on some "I'm campaigning at this weight shit" instead of the practical shit of meeting at a weight in the middle.

But I can safely say Manny would have to take an almost career ending beat down before he would even consider Marquez and it would probably be Manny's last fight.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Has there been some indication that Pac would request Marquez to go to welterweight or junior middle? I haven't heard anything like that. If they fought, i would expect the fight to occur at 140. IMO, Pac is a 140 pounder and trains like one. Pac trains as if he were making 140 but he just begins to rehydrate a day earlier. That way when it's time for the weigh in, he's over enough for him to be a welter.

Also, Pac weighed in as a welter against DLH, then went as low as 138lbs to fight Hatton and was destructive. Then after that, he went back to welter. I see no weight drain issue and I think's it's because Pac has known how to manipulate "day before the fight" weigh in to his liking. All he has to do is decide which day to rehydrate and he can technically move between these two divisions easily without sacrificing speed or power.

merce77

Star
Registered
Has there been some indication that Pac would request Marquez to go to welterweight or junior middle? I haven't heard anything like that. If they fought, i would expect the fight to occur at 140. IMO, Pac is a 140 pounder and trains like one. Pac trains as if he were making 140 but he just begins to rehydrate a day earlier. That way when it's time for the weigh in, he's over enough for him to be a welter.

Also, Pac weighed in as a welter against DLH, then went as low as 138lbs to fight Hatton and was destructive. Then after that, he went back to welter. I see no weight drain issue and I think's it's because Pac has known how to manipulate "day before the fight" weigh in to his liking. All he has to do is decide which day to rehydrate and he can technically move between these two divisions easily without sacrificing speed or power.

Has Manny's camp even mentioned Marquez? No. They don't want no parts of dude or any guy who can box or counterpunch. Thinking man's fighters are off limits right now. Manny's camp doesn't want Floyd right now either, don't get it twisted.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

I'm sure Ricky thinks he can clean out 135 and 140. Shit, he thought he could beat Floyd. Being a Marquez fan, I'd hate to see potentially his last big payday get spent by Tim Bradley or Amir Khan :)puke:).

You got me :lol: at Pac wanting to fight JMM at 150.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Has Manny's camp even mentioned Marquez? No. They don't want no parts of dude or any guy who can box or counterpunch. Thinking man's fighters are off limits right now. Manny's camp doesn't want Floyd right now either, don't get it twisted.

I don't see why Manny's camp would be mentioning Marquez. It's kind of a been there done that situation. Yeah, they had close fights but I wouldn't call them thrillers. They've fought twice already and Marquez so far hasn't managed to keep from getting dropped and he can't manage to win because of how this has affected the score cards. It could be a good fight though. I like Pac's chances of winning again even greater at 140 based on how he's stepped up his game recently.

Also, who is on the list of all these thinking man's fighters that are available to Pac? I would say Cotto is a guy that can box, counterpunch and think but Pac already fought him. Regarding Manny's camp not wanting Floyd, hey, at least Manny's camp wants somebody to fight. Who does Floyd want to fight? I'm a fan of boxing.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

It's funny but they did throw his name out there when negotiations for the first Floyd/Manny fight broke down. Why not now, especially with it being even more marketable with JMM coming off a high profile, impressive win?
Again, I think Manny would fight whoever they put in the ring (I'm not buying his "humble warrior" schtick but I think he trusts Roach implicitly) but his people, smartly, protect him to the best of their ability. It doesn't always make great sport but it's always good business.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I don't see why Manny's camp would be mentioning Marquez. It's kind of a been there done that situation. Yeah, they had close fights but I wouldn't call them thrillers. They've fought twice already and Marquez so far hasn't managed to keep from getting dropped and he can't manage to win because of how this has affected the score cards. It could be a good fight though. I like Pac's chances of winning again even greater at 140 based on how he's stepped up his game recently.

Also, who is on the list of all these thinking man's fighters that are available to Pac? I would say Cotto is a guy that can box, counterpunch and think but Pac already fought him. Regarding Manny's camp not wanting Floyd, hey, at least Manny's camp wants somebody to fight. Who does Floyd want to fight? I'm a fan of boxing.

Then you shouldn't say anything else after you say that.:D.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It's funny but they did throw his name out there when negotiations for the first Floyd/Manny fight broke down. Why not now, especially with it being even more marketable with JMM coming off a high profile, impressive win?
Again, I think Manny would fight whoever they put in the ring (I'm not buying his "humble warrior" schtick but I think he trusts Roach implicitly) but his people, smartly, protect him to the best of their ability. It doesn't always make great sport but it's always good business.

IMO, the Manny/Marquez fights are not worthy of a trilogy a la Marquez/Vasquez but I guess it would be better than nothing. Personally, I rather see Pac against someone new.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Then you shouldn't say anything else after you say that.:D.

I think Cotto is well schooled, has the amateur pedigree and although he has some limitations is pretty much a classic boxer/puncher. He seemed like a thinking man in there when he fought Mosley but in retrospect even Mayorga was outboxing Mosley during some parts of their fight. So, I don't know. I just don't see Cotto as some kind of brainless face first slugger and compared to the other guys in the division he is one of the more refined with classic skills albeit with a sometimes porous defense.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I'm sure Ricky thinks he can clean out 135 and 140. Shit, he thought he could beat Floyd. Being a Marquez fan, I'd hate to see potentially his last big payday get spent by Tim Bradley or Amir Khan :)puke:).

You got me :lol: at Pac wanting to fight JMM at 150.

The thing is though, If JMM beats any of those guys in a good fight.... his stock jumps up enough to were he could probably get some more fights before he reaches 40.

merce77

Star
Registered

merce77

Star
Registered
I think Cotto is well schooled, has the amateur pedigree and although he has some limitations is pretty much a classic boxer/puncher. He seemed like a thinking man in there when he fought Mosley but in retrospect even Mayorga was outboxing Mosley during some parts of their fight. So, I don't know. I just don't see Cotto as some kind of brainless face first slugger and compared to the other guys in the division he is one of the more refined with classic skills albeit with a sometimes porous defense.

Marquez>>>>>>Cotto - by far.