Minimum wage not enough to beat poverty, research says

Greed

Star
Registered
No sir; you said:

and I was simply trying to find out the basis for your opinions/assumptions, i.e., how you could equate the existence of the minimum wage with the commission of the crime. Again, you're not very good at reading other people's mind.
You mean a political law saying he can't accept a certain income level, to sustain his own life, has nothing to do with his perception regarding legal economic opportunities, which then leaves illegal opportunities.

Economic studies have shown these kids only make $4-$6/hour being low-level drug dealers and gang members. You wonder why they do it until you properly assess they have $0/hour now.

Only on this black board do I see assertions that they wouldn't want to work or think they are owed more than they deserve.

Yada, yada. Maybe you should have asked for HIS/THEIR INPUT -- instead of substituting yours, for his. :hmm:

He might not agree with your paternalistic minimum wage theory, ya think ?
And you think he'll agree with your assertion that he's better off not working if he can't work for the minimum wage.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

@ the idea of anyone being against a minimum living wage. Corporations have successfully programmed a lot of humans on this planet.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
You mean a political law saying he can't accept a certain income level, to sustain his own life, has nothing to do with his perception regarding legal economic opportunities, which then leaves illegal opportunities.

No. I meant what I said -- "I was simply trying to find out the basis for your opinions/assumptions, i.e., (1) how you could equate the existence of the minimum wage with the commission of the crime; or (2) how you could equate the existence of minimum wage with the robber not having a job."

Why do you persist with reading into it that which was never said :confused:

Only on this black board do I see assertions that they wouldn't want to work or think they are owed more than they deserve.
I think you're reading the back of your own mind. You're assuming things not said. I don't know what "these black boards" are; other than this forum, I read very little of whats said in the other BGOL forums. I don't see people saying what you're saying.

But so that WE are clear: I believe that business entities will pay, in many, many instances what they can get away with. If they could get away with paying those at the lower-end with chickens n beans, that is precisely what they would do. One major reason I believe that is because prior to there being a minimum wage, that is precisely what they did. Would people work for Chicken n Beans -- yes, I believe that many would. I also believe that such a wage would lower conditions further for those already at bottom.

And you think he'll agree with your assertion that he's better off not working if he can't work for the minimum wage.

Frankly, I don't know what the fuck he'll say; but I'm not the one putting words into his muted mouth.

PRESUMABLY, there is a minimum wage job somewhere in Chicago that he might have obtained. "ASSUMING" that to be true, I just can't see him begging to work for less than minimum, when he's not working for more.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

@ the idea of anyone being against a minimum living wage. Corporations have successfully programmed a lot of humans on this planet.

:yes:
It's always people who trump their philosophy over reality, particularly if they won't have to suffer the consequences if their philosophy was ever put into practice.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
:yes:
It's always people who trump their philosophy over reality, particularly if they won't have to suffer the consequences if their philosophy was ever put into practice.

Absolutely.

These folks are living in their own world where mandating minimum wages stifles economic growth. A world where there exists a clear and meaningful relationship between "wages" and productive output (ignoring that wages have stagnated for nearly 4 decades while productivity and profits have grown beyond all measure over the same period).

A world where businesses act ethically in the absence of regulation and pay appropriate wages (ignoring historical and current reality altogether in favor of ideaology).

I find this shit utterly fascinating.

Greed

Star
Registered
This is what drives me crazy about you and Cruise: don't try to put words in my mouth. I never said that. Never insinuated it. Never suggested it. Build strawmen on your time but when you're talking to me, address exactly what I said or don't quote me. If you have a question about what I mean, ask me.

I don't "think" you cited an isolated incident, you did. Do 70% of young Black men commit crimes? No so when you find one, you're finding the exception, not the norm.
I don't know what Cruise does, but I take what you say at face value then take it to the logical conclusion.

You think you aren't limiting jobs. You're just telling employers to pay a minimum wage when they do hire.

The magic one-sidedness of this shows how wrong you are. Pay whom? Someone who may or may not be worth minimum wage? What happens when they aren't worth it to the employer? They don't get hired right? What happens when you perpetually are deemed not worth minimum wage?

Greed

Star
Registered
Frankly, I don't know what the fuck he'll say; but I'm not the one putting words into his muted mouth.

PRESUMABLY, there is a minimum wage job somewhere in Chicago that he might have obtained. "ASSUMING" that to be true, I just can't see him begging to work for less than minimum, when he's not working for more.
And ASSUMING that's not true? What options are you leaving him? Or is it more convenient to just ASSUME it's true and not think about it?

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
And ASSUMING that's not true? What options are you leaving him? Or is it more convenient to just ASSUME it's true and not think about it?

While denying it :rolleyes:, I see you like arguing for the sake of arguing as much as the next guy :lol:

If you insist upon the ridiculous Greed,

I have to assume that stocking shelves somewhere in the expansive Chicago metropolis is not one of his preferred choices Greed; that fast food chains are out for him; that washing dishes in the zillion restuarants in the Chicago area is just out for him; that hitching a ride to the Gulf Coast to work the docks at one of the several sea-ports along the Gulf of Mexico (which, requires no education and pays the unskilled $25.00 to $45.00 per hour), is just out of the question for him; and that some kind of trade school is too just not a possibility for him; -- then -- instead of robbing people, he might want to just volunteer for lock-up, that way he can get the same free meals he would get anyway, he wouldn't have to shoot or maim some innocent Chicago citizen; and he would be free at a later time to make a better choice, without the inconvenience of then serving a sentence when his light comes on and without the stigma of a conviction burdening his enlightenment.

But, one thing for sure, based upon what we presently know about this grown-man kid, I won't be concluding, as you have, that he is begging for a job paying less than minimum wage :please:

Greed

Star
Registered
You didn't answer why you just automatically take it for granted that he could even get a dishwasher job. Someone has to be willing to hire him.

Then you promote that he should up and leave everything he's known and try to be a dock worker 1000 miles away. Not everyone has the guts of a migrant worker. He shouldn't have to go through all that when there are jobs here in Chicago. Namely the dishwasher jobs you mentioned. A number of those are under the table, done by immigrants, and below minimum wage. They actually require knowing someone. The employer will only hire someone based on the last guy's word that he won't report the employer.

Low-wage employers can hire anyone, but they make sure to find the lowest risk person especially if it's under the table money. They can base it just on your looks, and according to the 70% number, some people consistently don't have what low-wage employers want. After that it's about the workers judgement on his prospect for having anything which determines if he eventually commits crime.

This absurdity where you just take it for granted that anyone can find even a shit job shows a disconnect.

You and Dave keep trying to paint it about the one guy that YOU brought into this thread. There is a whole class of people like him within the 70% young black unemployed, especially in Chicago. Most of those who were killed, people who did the killing and the crimes where death weren't a result like shooting and robberies. That's thousands just in Chicago alone. The 70% number represents hundreds of thousands at least.

The only solution I promote is just let them work at a job he agrees to with the employer who also agreed. Your solution, keep minimum wage at the current level or raise it, then take it for granted that anyone can find a job at that wage despite the numbers.

But, one thing for sure, based upon what we presently know about this grown-man kid, I won't be concluding, as you have, that he is begging for a job paying less than minimum wage
Since you put it in the present tense, then yes, I bet he would much rather work for below minimum wage than go to jail.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I don't know what Cruise does, but I take what you say at face value then take it to the logical conclusion.

You think you aren't limiting jobs. You're just telling employers to pay a minimum wage when they do hire.

The magic one-sidedness of this shows how wrong you are. Pay whom? Someone who may or may not be worth minimum wage? What happens when they aren't worth it to the employer? They don't get hired right? What happens when you perpetually are deemed not worth minimum wage?

Then you improve yourself. Get a GED or diploma. Get some training. Make yourself valuable.
The answer isnt let employers decide what the minimum is someone will accept.

Like the majority of poor people, he should find another option other than crime.

Since you put it in the present tense, then yes, I bet he would much rather work for below minimum wage than go to jail.

This is a false choice.

Last edited:

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It will result in higher unemployment & costs.

Why are you always wrong?

source: Huffington Post

Costco's Profit Soars To $537 Million Just Days After CEO Endorses Minimum Wage Increase

r-COSTCO-PROFIT-large570.jpg

Vice President Joe Biden shakes hands with Costco CEO Craig Jelinek, right, as co-founder Jim Sinegal watches at center, after Biden arrived to shop at the new Costco store in Washington, Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012. Biden went shopping for presents and to highlight the importance of renewing middle-class tax cuts so families and businesses have more certainty at this critical time for our economy.

Less than a week after Costco CEO Craig Jelinek spoke out in favor of raising the minimum wage, the big-box retailer’s earnings showed that paying workers a living wage doesn’t always hurt business.

Costco reported a profit of $537 million last quarter, up from $394 million during the same period last year, according to the Wall Street Journal. The healthy earnings report comes just six days after Jelinik urged lawmakers to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour.

“At Costco, we know that paying employees good wages makes good sense for business,” Jelinik said in a statement last week. “Instead of minimizing wages, we know it's a lot more profitable in the long term to minimize employee turnover and maximize employee productivity, commitment and loyalty. We support efforts to increase the federal minimum wage.”

Costco is known for paying its workers wages that are generally above average for the retail industry. An average Costco worker made about $45,000 in 2011, according to Fortune. That’s compared to an average of about $17,486 per year for a worker at comparable Walmart-owned Sam’s Club.

And apparently the extra pay pays off. Costco makes more than $10,000 in profits per employee, while Walmart takes home about $7,400 per worker, according to the Daily Beast (Walmart and Costco aren’t exactly the same type of business, however).

In addition to offering its workers high pay and the opportunity to unionize, Costco also provides a benefit many of its competitors don’t: health insurance for part- and full-time employees.

Some analysts have complained in the past that Costco’s worker-friendly policies aren’t so friendly to shareholders. If Tuesday’s results are any indication, those concerns may be exaggerated.

Greed

Star
Registered
Then you improve yourself. Get a GED or diploma. Get some training. Make yourself valuable.
The answer isnt let employers decide what the minimum is someone will accept.
Does it make sense that if someone doesn't want a GED, they should basically write-off having a job? Not having a diploma should maybe disqualify a person from having a decent paying job. It shouldn't be an excuse, at least in a moral society, for not being able to find a job at all when you just want to work.

A person who rightly feels no connection with your system and wants to give up on school should not have to give up on the thought of economic opportunity.

Why won't people like you just leave others alone?

Your cookie cutter idea of the public education system being a path for betterment is not the same as everyone else's. Don't stack the odds against them by arbitrarily making the wage floor at the level of a high school graduate.

But then again, I guess it's an achievement that you acknowledge the idea that employers don't have to hire anyone for any random wage level set by government.

Like the majority of poor people, he should find another option other than crime.
And why do some people view crime as their best option? Unless they are born evil, they've been given an incentive to think its more attractive than non-criminal activity.

What is that incentive and why is it effective enough to have thousands of young black men killed every year in so many areas around the country?

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Does it make sense that if someone doesn't want a GED, they should basically write-off having a job? Not having a diploma should maybe disqualify a person from having a decent paying job. It shouldn't be an excuse, at least in a moral society, for not being able to find a job at all when you just want to work.

A person who rightly feels no connection with your system and wants to give up on school should not have to give up on the thought of economic opportunity.

Your cookie cutter idea of the public education system being a path for betterment is not the same as everyone else's. Don't stack the odds against them by arbitrarily making the wage floor at the level of a high school graduate.

But then again, I guess it's an achievement that you acknowledge the idea that employers don't have to hire anyone for any random wage level set by government.

And why do some people view crime as their best option? Unless they are born evil, they've been given an incentive to think its more attractive than non-criminal activity.

What is that incentive and why is it effective enough to have thousands of young black men killed every year in so many areas around the country?

You tell us!

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

You are rambling and nearly incoherent at this point.
There's no rule that anyone has to get a diploma or GED but it will make you less competitive. You would be handicapping yourself by not getting that basic education. So I'm not stacking anything, a person does that to themselves. You asked me what he could to better his situation and get more training and education is the answer. If you think he should do something else with better results, name it.

Crime doesn't equate to evil but often it equates to poor choices, options, role models, and priorities. None of that has anything to do with minimum wage laws.
Since the majority of young Black men choose to not enter a life and lifestyle of crime, I don't think the incentive is as strong as advertised.

Greed

Star
Registered
Elizabeth Warren: Minimum Wage Would Be $22/Hour If It Had Kept Up With Productivity

Elizabeth Warren: Minimum Wage Would Be $22 An Hour If It Had Kept Up With Productivity
The Huffington Post | By Nick Wing
Posted: 03/18/2013 12:34 pm EDT | Updated: 03/19/2013 11:33 am EDT

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) made a case for increasing the minimum wage last week during a Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions hearing, in which she cited a study that suggested the federal minimum wage would have stood at nearly $22 an hour today if it had kept up with increased rates in worker productivity.

"If we started in 1960 and we said that as productivity goes up, that is as workers are producing more, then the minimum wage is going to go up the same. And if that were the case then the minimum wage today would be about $22 an hour," she said, speaking to Dr. Arindrajit Dube, a University of Massachusetts Amherst professor who has studied the economic impacts of minimum wage. "So my question is Mr. Dube, with a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, what happened to the other $14.75? It sure didn't go to the worker."

Dube went on to note that if minimum wage incomes had grown over that period at the same pace as it had for the top 1 percent of income earners, the minimum wage would actually be closer to $33 an hour than the current $7.25.

It didn't appear that Warren was actually trying to make the case for a $22 an hour minimum wage, but rather highlighting the results of a recent study that showed flat minimum wage growth over the past 40-plus years coinciding with surging inequality across a number of economic indicators.

Warren went on to argue that raising the federal minimum wage to over $10 an hour in incremental steps over the next two years -- a cause championed by President Barack Obama in his State of the Union address and since taken up in the Senate -- would not be as damaging for businesses as some critics have argued.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...um-wage_n_2900984.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Re: Elizabeth Warren: Minimum Wage Would Be $22/Hour If It Had Kept Up With Productiv

Elizabeth Warren: Minimum Wage Would Be $22 An Hour If It Had Kept Up With Productivity
The Huffington Post | By Nick Wing
Posted: 03/18/2013 12:34 pm EDT | Updated: 03/19/2013 11:33 am EDT

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) made a case for increasing the minimum wage last week during a Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions hearing, in which she cited a study that suggested the federal minimum wage would have stood at nearly $22 an hour today if it had kept up with increased rates in worker productivity.

"If we started in 1960 and we said that as productivity goes up, that is as workers are producing more, then the minimum wage is going to go up the same. And if that were the case then the minimum wage today would be about $22 an hour," she said, speaking to Dr. Arindrajit Dube, a University of Massachusetts Amherst professor who has studied the economic impacts of minimum wage. "So my question is Mr. Dube, with a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, what happened to the other $14.75? It sure didn't go to the worker."

Dube went on to note that if minimum wage incomes had grown over that period at the same pace as it had for the top 1 percent of income earners, the minimum wage would actually be closer to $33 an hour than the current $7.25.

It didn't appear that Warren was actually trying to make the case for a $22 an hour minimum wage, but rather highlighting the results of a recent study that showed flat minimum wage growth over the past 40-plus years coinciding with surging inequality across a number of economic indicators.

Warren went on to argue that raising the federal minimum wage to over $10 an hour in incremental steps over the next two years -- a cause championed by President Barack Obama in his State of the Union address and since taken up in the Senate -- would not be as damaging for businesses as some critics have argued.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...um-wage_n_2900984.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

484334_10151341223201674_1711167057_n.jpg

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Re: Elizabeth Warren: Minimum Wage Would Be $22/Hour If It Had Kept Up With Productiv

Workers are paid based on how productive they are for their employer. That productivity cannot be mandated, which is the very reason you cannot mandate wage. It will result in higher unemployment & costs.

Who believes a person should recieve a benefit they did not work for?

:confused:

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Workers are paid based on how productive they are for their employer. That productivity cannot be mandated, which is the very reason you cannot mandate wage. It will result in higher unemployment & costs.

Who believes a person should recieve a benefit they did not work for?

Always wrong! :smh:

source: Think Progress

Starbucks CEO Comes Out In Favor Of A Minimum Wage Increase

Howard Schultz, the Chief Executive Officer of Starbucks, has added another pro-worker notch to his belt: support for increasing the minimum wage.

Schultz already has a relatively good reputation on workers’ issues; his company offers health care to all of its employees, and doesn’t mind spending more on health care than on coffee. Starbucks also launched, in 2011, a a pro-jobs effort where patrons could donate to a loan program that helps small businesses keep jobs and hire.

Now, he is tentatively putting his weight behind the Democratic push to increase the minimum wage from $7.25 to something more like $9 or $10 an hour. In an interview with CNBC, Schultz said, “I am a supporter of the minimum wage going up“:
Howard Schultz, the head of the global coffee giant, told CNBC Wednesday that “the minimum wage issue is a double-edged sword,” because while boosting it would mean higher wages for workers, it may also discourage businesses from hiring more people.

“On balance, I am a supporter of the minimum wage going up,” he said. “We’ve got to be very careful what we wish for because some employers — and there could be a lot of them — will be scared away from hiring new people or creating incremental hours for part-time people as a result of that wage going up.”
Last week, House Republicans voted down a proposal pushed by Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) that would have raised the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour. The Senate has made no motions to improve the wage. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), however, has pointed out that the minimum wage would be $22 an hour if it had been adjusted for inflation and worker productivity. Indexed to inflation alone, it would stand at $10.40.

Schultz is joined in his support for an increased minimum wage by Costco CEO Craig Jelinek. Jelinek, however, has said he would actually like to see it rise higher than $10 an hour.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

The Trader Joe's Lesson:
How to Pay a Living Wage
and Still Make Money in Retail

Companies that invest in higher salaries for low-level
employees find success in a competitive market

traderjoes.jpg

The Atlantic
Sophie Quinton
March 25, 2013

The average American cashier makes $20,230 a year, a salary that in a single-earner household would leave a family of four living under the poverty line. But if he works the cash registers at QuikTrip, it's an entirely different story. The convenience-store and gas-station chain offers entry-level employees an annual salary of around $40,000, plus benefits. Those high wages didn't stop QuikTrip from prospering in a hostile economic climate. While other low-cost retailers spent the recession laying off staff and shuttering stores, QuikTrip expanded to its current 645 locations across 11 states.

Many employers believe that one of the best ways to raise their profit margin is to cut labor costs. But companies like QuikTrip, the grocery-store chain Trader Joe's, and Costco Wholesale are proving that the decision to offer low wages is a choice, not an economic necessity. All three are low-cost retailers, a sector that is traditionally known for relying on part-time, low-paid employees. Yet these companies have all found that the act of valuing workers can pay off in the form of increased sales and productivity.

"Retailers start with this philosophy of seeing employees as a cost to be minimized," says Zeynep Ton of MIT's Sloan School of Management. That can lead businesses into a vicious cycle. Underinvestment in workers can result in operational problems in stores, which decrease sales. And low sales often lead companies to slash labor costs even further. Middle-income jobs have declined recently as a share of total employment, as many employers have turned full-time jobs into part-time positions with no benefits and unpredictable schedules.

QuikTrip, Trader Joe's, and Costco operate on a different model, Ton says. "They start with the mentality of seeing employees as assets to be maximized," she says. As a result, their stores boast better operational efficiency and customer service, and those result in better sales. QuikTrip sales per labor hour are two-thirds higher than the average convenience-store chain, Ton found, and sales per square foot are over 50 percent higher.

Entry-level hires at QuikTrip are trained for two full weeks before they start work, and they learn everything from how to order merchandise to how to clean the bathroom. Most store managers are promoted from within, giving employees a reason to do well. "They can see that if you work hard, if you're smart, the opportunity to grow within the company is very, very good," says company spokesman Mike Thornbrugh.

The approach seems like common sense. Keeping shelves stocked and helping customers find merchandise are key to maximizing sales, and it takes human judgment and people skills to execute those tasks effectively. To see what happens when workers are devalued, look no further than Borders or Circuit City. Both big-box retailers saw sales plummet after staff cutbacks, and both ultimately went bankrupt.

As global competition increases and cheap, convenient commerce finds a natural home online, the most successful companies may be those that focus on delivering a better customer experience. Ton's research on QuikTrip and other low-cost retailers--now a Harvard Business School case--is applicable across a variety of industries, she says. Toyota's production system, for example, gives all employees--including workers on the assembly lines--a voice in improving products.

But for a publicly traded company under pressure to show quarterly earnings, it's tempting to show quick profits by cutting labor costs. The bad economy has also made workers willing to take lower-paid positions rather than join the ranks of the unemployed. New employer-sponsored health insurance requirements under the Affordable Care Act are only going to give employers an additional incentive to shift workers to a part-time schedule.

There are also trade-offs to investing in employees. Businesses that spend more on their workers have to cut costs elsewhere. Trader Joe's streamlines operations by offering a limited number of products and very few sale promotions. Costco stocks products on pallets, as a warehouse would. And the QuikTrip model requires investors to have the fortitude to accept possible short-term drops in profits. "You have to take a loss for a little bit," says Maureen Conway, executive director of the Economic Opportunities Program at the Aspen Institute. "You have to pay above market. You have to change how you do business."

At the upper echelons of the American workforce, salaries have soared. Companies are accustomed to thinking of their highest-level employees as "talent," and fighting to hire and reward people who will help grow the company. Now Trader Joe's and QuikTrip are proving that lower-level employees can be assets whose skills improve the bottom-line as well.

SOURCE

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:lol:

This coming from the advocate of a centrally-planned economy & society.

Now that this thread has run on a bit, I'm still waiting for you to clarify your position on the original topic based on facts and not ideology.

909-p4-herbert1.jpg

Anyone? Anyone?

Lamarr

Star
Registered
NYC: Fast-Food Workers Strike, Citing Low Wages: 'It's Not Enough'

They work for some of the biggest businesses in the United States, yet they are among the country's lowest-paid workers.

On Thursday, fast-food workers staged walkouts at McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell and other restaurants in New York City to call attention to their plight. Organizers scheduled the job actions to commemorate the day Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated 45 years ago in Memphis, where he was supporting a strike by sanitation workers.

"It's not enough," Elba Godoy, a crew member at a McDonald's just a few blocks from Times Square, said of her $7.25-per-hour minimum wage, which helps support her extended family of seven. "They don't like [that we're out here], but we have to do it. We cannot survive on $7.25."

Godoy and her colleagues are seeking a raise to $15 an hour and the right to form a union without retaliation. The walkout is part of a national movement by low-wage workers to raise wages and gain rights.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8GHg3GAeQ1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm going to say he has no skills or anything marketable. Now what?

source: http://www.upworthy.com/the-reality-of-who-actually-works-for-minimum-wage-will-shock-you-5?c=bl3

<HEADER> The Reality Of Who Actually Works For Minimum Wage Will Shock You
</HEADER><!-- /pagetitle -->
If you add up the totals in these charts, 75% of minimum wage earners are adults. Let that sink in for a minute. 70% have at least a high school degree, and some have had at least a year or two of college.
Take a look at the size of the big blue slice in the first pie chart — that represents adult women who are working for minimum wage, almost half of the total. This is why raising the minimum wage would make a huge difference for tons of families, especially those in which women are the primary breadwinners or single moms.

fMCwyRZ.png

chartgo-2-min_wage.png

J.E.T.S

Rising Star
Registered
No wonder the muhfuckas at QT be doing tricks, working in Turbo mode, and happy as fuck to greet customers all day. "Hello!!! Welcome!! :)" n shit :lol:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Greed

Star
Registered
source: http://www.upworthy.com/the-reality-of-who-actually-works-for-minimum-wage-will-shock-you-5?c=bl3

<HEADER> The Reality Of Who Actually Works For Minimum Wage Will Shock You
</HEADER><!-- /pagetitle -->
If you add up the totals in these charts, 75% of minimum wage earners are adults. Let that sink in for a minute. 70% have at least a high school degree, and some have had at least a year or two of college.
Take a look at the size of the big blue slice in the first pie chart — that represents adult women who are working for minimum wage, almost half of the total. This is why raising the minimum wage would make a huge difference for tons of families, especially those in which women are the primary breadwinners or single moms.
Even though you're purposely taking what I said out of context, I'll be your huckleberry.

What is it about being an adult that makes you skilled or marketable? What is it about having two years of college that makes you skilled or marketable, let alone just a high school diploma?

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Even though you're purposely taking what I said out of context, I'll be your huckleberry.

What is it about being an adult that makes you skilled or marketable? What is it about having two years of college that makes you skilled or marketable, let alone just a high school diploma?

These are your talking points.