"WW C"- COVID-19, GLOBAL CASES SURPASS 676 MILLION...CASES 676,609,955 DEATHS 6,881,955 US CASES 103,804,263 US DEATHS 1,123,836 8:30pm 1/28/24

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
Covid-19 Infected Lions Prompt Variant Warning in South Africa
  • Lions, pumas were infected by handlers at a Pretoria zoo
  • Animals got sicker than largely asymptomatic zoo staff
Lions and pumas at a private zoo in the South African capital of Pretoria got severe Covid-19 from asymptomatic zoo handlers, raising concerns that new variants could emerge from animal reservoirs of the disease, studies carried out by a local university showed.

A 2020 study of feces from two pumas that had had diarrhea, nasal discharge and anorexia showed the animals had Covid-19 and made a full recovery after 23 days, the University of Pretoria said in a statement on Tuesday. A year later, in the midst of South Africa’s delta-variant-driven third wave, three lions, one of which had pneumonia, tested positive for the coronavirus.

The studies add to evidence that while the dominant theory is that the coronavirus spread from animals to humans, the reverse can also happen. Data suggests that the disease was circulating among staff at the time of the lions’ illness and the disease was likely transferred from them to the big cats. The disease could then mutate in the animals and reinfect humans, the researchers said.

Measures such as mask-wearing and infection control when dealing with captive animals, as well as barriers so that visitors to zoos can’t get too close to them, are advisable, the researchers said in the statement.

“This is to protect endangered species from getting sick and dying,” Marietjie Venter and Katja Koeppel, two professors at the university, said in the statement. “These measures are also important because of the risk of new variants emerging if the virus establishes itself in other animal reservoirs; these variants could be transmitted back to humans.”

Since the pandemic began, minks infected with the coronavirus in Denmark have been culled and Hong Kong said on Tuesday that 2,000 small animals including hamsters would be culled after some tested positive for the disease.

This is the event that is concerning me…..This virus keeps jumping to animals and it’s a matter of time before this shit jumps back to humans as a severe Variant.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Oooooookkkkk this shit again…

last the night Ms. Mask received a call from her friend(whom we living with, due to Hurricane Ida)
Letting her know she might leave work, because her body aching and started coughing(when she got home she a a little fever)

this morning when we got up for work and school…
Daughter was feeling bad, body hurting
Check her temperature 100.2

Around noon I called the next daughter, to suggest she get tested and her baby also

they came down Tuesday and left Sunday
the baby had a little cough and runny nose…. (Thinking back the baby kept whining, but was clean and fed)

I’m thinking the baby or my daughter might’ve been the carrier(but we never know)!!!

well they just did three home Test

Ms. Mask negative
Youngest Daughter positive
Friend positive(chick we staying with)

I’m Waiting to hear back my other daughter

I’m about move around.
These folks need to be isolated for a few days.

ps….. got another situation to write about later

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor

last the night Ms. Mask received a call from her friend(whom we living with, due to Hurricane Ida)
Letting her know she might leave work, because her body aching and started coughing(when she got home she a a little fever)

Around noon I called the next daughter, to suggest she get tested and her baby also

the baby had a little cough and runny nose…. (Thinking back the baby kept whining, but was clean and fed)

I’m thinking the baby or my daughter might’ve been the carrier(but we never know)!!!

Ms. Mask negative

I’m about move around.

Sorry to hear, hopefully you all have a quick recovery with minimal symptoms.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
This is the event that is concerning me…..This virus keeps jumping to animals and it’s a matter of time before this shit jumps back to humans as a severe Variant.
well-there-it-is.gif

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Digital Access.

Ms. Mask negative

I’m about move around.

Stay positive and keep us posted.... !!

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Covid-19 Infected Lions Prompt Variant Warning in South Africa
  • Lions, pumas were infected by handlers at a Pretoria zoo
  • Animals got sicker than largely asymptomatic zoo staff
Lions and pumas at a private zoo in the South African capital of Pretoria got severe Covid-19 from asymptomatic zoo handlers, raising concerns that new variants could emerge from animal reservoirs of the disease, studies carried out by a local university showed.

A 2020 study of feces from two pumas that had had diarrhea, nasal discharge and anorexia showed the animals had Covid-19 and made a full recovery after 23 days, the University of Pretoria said in a statement on Tuesday. A year later, in the midst of South Africa’s delta-variant-driven third wave, three lions, one of which had pneumonia, tested positive for the coronavirus.

The studies add to evidence that while the dominant theory is that the coronavirus spread from animals to humans, the reverse can also happen. Data suggests that the disease was circulating among staff at the time of the lions’ illness and the disease was likely transferred from them to the big cats. The disease could then mutate in the animals and reinfect humans, the researchers said.

Measures such as mask-wearing and infection control when dealing with captive animals, as well as barriers so that visitors to zoos can’t get too close to them, are advisable, the researchers said in the statement.

“This is to protect endangered species from getting sick and dying,” Marietjie Venter and Katja Koeppel, two professors at the university, said in the statement. “These measures are also important because of the risk of new variants emerging if the virus establishes itself in other animal reservoirs; these variants could be transmitted back to humans.”

Since the pandemic began, minks infected with the coronavirus in Denmark have been culled and Hong Kong said on Tuesday that 2,000 small animals including hamsters would be culled after some tested positive for the disease.

man, it’s tiring that they keep connecting new variants to Africa. We all know them shits is coming from Europe. Africa is just the scapegoat continent.

ShortyCumStain

Rising Star
OG Investor
Beijing locks down office building with workers still inside after single Omicron case detected

Hong Kong (CNN)At an office building in China's capital on Sunday, masked Covid control personnel lugged boxes of pillows and bedding through the closely guarded entrance for white collar workers stuck inside, preparing for what may be days of lockdown as Beijing rushes to prevent the spread of Omicron ahead of the Winter Olympics.

The snap lockdown meant the building in the west of the city was sealed off without advance warning, with everybody inside unable to leave and subject to compulsory Covid testing. The decision to lock the office down came after an employee tested positive for Omicron on Saturday -- the city's first recorded case of the highly transmissible variant.
For the past week, officials in Beijing had been on high alert as an Omicron outbreak spread in Tianjin, a major port city just 30 minutes away by high-speed rail. The cluster had already spread to two other cities hundreds of miles away.

According to detailed surveillance data collected by officials, the Beijing woman infected with Omicron had not come into contact with a confirmed case and hadn't left the capital in the past 14 days, raising fears the variant may already be spreading in the community.
Unlike most of the world, China is pursuing a zero-Covid strategy that relies on stringent restrictions including mass testing, lockdowns and long quarantine for international arrivals.
The single case in Beijing has been identified at the worst possible time for the city, as it prepares to welcome thousands of athletes for the Olympics -- including from countries where Omicron is raging.
The risk of the variant spreading among the local Beijing population outside its so-called Olympic bubble -- intended to keep participants separate from the wider public -- comes as authorities warned of the "double pressure of domestic and imported cases."
After the woman's case was confirmed, authorities sprang into action, imposing uncompromising snap lockdowns -- trapping people in places such as office blocks -- and extensive contact tracing and testing in high-risk areas.
The residential compound where the confirmed case lives is just 15 minutes' drive from Olympic Park. The entire community has since been sealed off while people get tested and authorities conduct environmental sampling. CNN staff who drove past the complex over the weekend saw large barriers in place to prevent anybody from coming or going.
The residents inside are allowed fresh air, in contrast to stricter lockdowns in other parts of the country that confine people to their apartments -- but they can't leave the community limits. Trash is beginning to pile up inside the complex, with only specially-designated disposal teams permitted to handle it. Many nearby businesses are closed.
The woman's workplace has been similarly locked down, with large tents set up outside to conduct and process Covid tests for everybody inside until the building is declared safe to reopen.
In another sign of the zealous official response, the woman's travel history was published in state media, with extensive detail on everywhere she went within a two-week period. The long list includes subway stations, public bathrooms, a supermarket, a luxury shopping center and Dior store, a famous Peking duck restaurant, a cinema, a hair salon, a stand-up comedy venue, and even a ski park.
More than 16,000 people linked to those locations have been tested with all results coming back negative so far, authorities said on Monday -- and the city has yet to report any further cases. At a news conference, authorities raised the possibility the woman might have contracted the virus after handling international mail.
Chinese officials have repeatedly blamed imported goods for causing local outbreaks. However, the risk of surface transmission of Covid-19 is low in comparison to airborne transmission, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The virus dies "rapidly" on porous surfaces but can persist longer on hard, indoor surfaces, the CDC said last year.

220116230955-01-beijing-omicron-closure-super-169.jpg
A shopping mall in Beijing is closed on January 16 after news that the city has detected its first Omicron case.
After news of the single Beijing case emerged, many schools in affected districts moved students to online learning this week, and the city has closed a number of scenic spots and temples. Starting January 22, all arrivals to the capital must undergo Covid testing both in advance and after arrival.
And despite the imminent arrival of thousands of Winter Olympians for the start of the Games on February 4, Beijing has moved to suspend dozens of international flights. From Wednesday, all flights from the United States to China have been either canceled or are likely to be suspended.
Athletes and staff are mostly taking special flights restricted to people with Olympic credentials as part of the "closed loop" bubble, which covers all stadiums, competition venues, accommodation and catering, and has its own transport system.
Wang Guangfa, a respiratory expert at Peking University First Hospital, said the situation was still difficult to gauge since authorities don't know where the woman was infected. "It is very possible that new cases will emerge if the cause is unclear," he said, according to state-run tabloid Global Times.
Though any additional infections could spark more restrictions in the coming days, there is no need to overreact to a single case, which wouldn't impact the Olympics, Wang added.
The Beijing public seemed to share his sentiments, with crowds turning out for winter festivities over the weekend in sharp contrast to the localized lockdowns in some districts. On Sunday, many families flocked to a popular lake to ice skate on its frozen waters.
In addition to Beijing, a growing list of cities across China are also struggling to tamp down Covid outbreaks and the Omicron threat. The variant was first detected in the community in Tianjin on January 8 and has since been found in seven other cities, including Beijing.
Many cities are now imposing restrictions such as shutting down public spaces and banning dine-in services at restaurants, as well as suspending air travel to the capital.
Posts and videos on Chinese social media show several targeted snap lockdowns in Shanghai last week, trapping whoever was unfortunate enough to be in the vicinity. In one mall, shoppers were stuck for two days, with officials testing everybody inside and ordering a deep clean before reopening.
One video posted on social media showed a woman outside the mall, crying and reaching out to a small toddler staring back from behind its glass doors.
The measures may seem extreme -- but they remain broadly popular among much of the Chinese public, the vast majority of whom are able to enjoy life as normal.
And with such high stakes, authorities aren't taking any chances, knowing all eyes are focused on Beijing as the Games approach.

Beijing locks down office building weeks before Olympics over single Omicron case - CNN

This is how you effectively take care of shit.

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The protection level provided by recovery from past infection is down to 19% with Omicron.

To put this into context, in the pre-Omicron era, the UK “SIREN” study of COVID infection in healthcare workers estimated that prior infection afforded 85% protection against a second COVID infection over 6 months. The reinfection risk estimated in the current study suggests this protection has fallen to 19% (95%CI: 0-27%) against an Omicron infection.

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is another interesting read. The author is the Director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington: https://www.healthdata.org/about/christopher-jl-murray He's been pretty sober about all of this so this is encouraging coming from him.

COVID-19 will continue but the end of the pandemic is near

The impacts of future SARS-CoV-2 transmission on health, however, will be less because of broad previous exposure to the virus, regularly adapted vaccines to new antigens or variants, the advent of antivirals, and the knowledge that the vulnerable can protect themselves during future waves when needed by using high-quality masks and physical distancing. COVID-19 will become another recurrent disease that health systems and societies will have to manage. For example, the death toll from omicron seems to be similar in most countries to the level of a bad influenza season in northern hemisphere countries. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated the worse influenza season during the past decade in 2017–18 caused about 52 000 influenza deaths with a likely peak of more than 1500 deaths per day.
11 The era of extraordinary measures by government and societies to control SARS-CoV-2 transmission will be over. After the omicron wave, COVID-19 will return but the pandemic will not.

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is another interesting read. The author is the Director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington: https://www.healthdata.org/about/christopher-jl-murray He's been pretty sober about all of this so this is encouraging coming from him.

COVID-19 will continue but the end of the pandemic is near

The impacts of future SARS-CoV-2 transmission on health, however, will be less because of broad previous exposure to the virus, regularly adapted vaccines to new antigens or variants, the advent of antivirals, and the knowledge that the vulnerable can protect themselves during future waves when needed by using high-quality masks and physical distancing. COVID-19 will become another recurrent disease that health systems and societies will have to manage. For example, the death toll from omicron seems to be similar in most countries to the level of a bad influenza season in northern hemisphere countries. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated the worse influenza season during the past decade in 2017–18 caused about 52 000 influenza deaths with a likely peak of more than 1500 deaths per day.
11 The era of extraordinary measures by government and societies to control SARS-CoV-2 transmission will be over. After the omicron wave, COVID-19 will return but the pandemic will not.

So basically, we're going to win this war due to attrition of the stupid. Or in spite of it, I guess.

Like I've said, I don't consider that super encouraging, because the reality is that the next big pandemic-type threat (if, heaven forbid, there is one) will absolutely wreck us. The people who have been ignorant here and lived have learned nothing to make them any less ignorant in the future. They will, in fact, be more stubborn next time around.

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
Stupid people like the dude whosaid never forget....lets never forget that Trump said "slow the testing down please."

If Trump was still in office home test would never have happened
Do you think its a good look to point to what Trump did/didnt do as an excuse to forgive/excuse Biden?
Serious question.

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So basically, we're going to win this war due to attrition of the stupid. Or in spite of it, I guess.

Like I've said, I don't consider that super encouraging, because the reality is that the next big pandemic-type threat (if, heaven forbid, there is one) will absolutely wreck us. The people who have been ignorant here and lived have learned nothing to make them any less ignorant in the future. They will, in fact, be more stubborn next time around.

100%. A normal adult sees a 16X-20X increase in a particular risk and adjusts accordingly but we are dealing with people that will use the fact that the risk hasn't impacted them personally yet as proof that the risk was not grave in the first place. It is like watching a drunk stumble in the road and narrowly avoid getting hit by a car only to later use the fact they didn't as proof that there was never a risk of being hit. :smh: :lol:

Last edited:

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Digital Access.

Stay positive and keep us posted.... !!
Thanks bro….

second story from yesterday

Ms. Mask calls

“Hey, I’m headed to the hospital with mama, she was in the bathroom and fell. So we heading to the hospital, it’s could be a 12hr wait.
Also , The doctor at work, said don’t give (our daughter) a test now, wait a few days. That way, we can give her body to give a good reading.

“Damn that’s crazy, so did she tripped over something”.

“I’m not sure, they just called me and told be what happened, so I went meet them.
My daddy is with my sista. The ambulance started giving her fluids”

“Oh, they headed to the hospital”

“naw, he’s going to her house. They can’t come here”

“That’s true only one person per patients. Why she taking him with her”

“Yep, that’s me. So he’s not home alone”

ok, well call later….

So, later when she came home, that’s when the other post happen.

And she said moms, got checked out
The doc didn’t let the way her lungs looked.
Ms. Mask expressed that she smoked for 40+ plus years but have stop over the last 10 so it might be _________.
(They call it something, I forgot).
He said what he saw ain’t _______, it’s something else.

I asked her what it was, she said it Covid.

Soooooo….Doc thinks her oxygen got low and caused her to fall out.
She didn’t recall anything.

When the doc checked her, oxygen level was 94 but that’s likely due to the paramedics supplying oxygen during the ambulance ride.

He waited a little while and checked her again it was at 90.

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Stupid people like the dude whosaid never forget....lets never forget that Trump said "slow the testing down please."

If Trump was still in office home test would never have happened

Don't forget not sending out masks because he wouldn't be able to continue to downplay the threat. :smh:

The crazy thing is that the delivery of the tests now will also be impacted by his kneecapping of the USPS. :smh:

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks bro….

Ms. Mask calls

“Hey, I’m headed to the hospital with mama, she was in the bathroom and fell. So we heading to the hospital, it’s could be a 12hr wait.
Also , The doctor at work, said don’t give (our daughter) a test now, wait a few days. That way, we can give her body to give a good reading.

“I’m not sure, they just called me and told be what happened, so I went meet them.

ok, well call later….

Ms. Mask expressed that she smoked for 40+ plus years but have stop over the last 10 so it might be _________.

When the doc checked her, oxygen level was 94 but that’s likely due to the paramedics supplying oxygen during the ambulance ride.

Is she a diabetic..??

Could it have been her sugar levels??

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks bro….

Ms. Mask calls

ok, well call later….

Damn, this sounds like the exact thing they warned about in this article.

Glad she was able to get looked at before it was too late.

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't forget not sending out masks because he wouldn't be able to continue to downplay the threat. :smh:

The crazy thing is that the delivery of the tests now will also be impacted by his kneecapping of the USPS. :smh:
All because he was trying to win an election