"WW C"- COVID-19, GLOBAL CASES SURPASS 676 MILLION...CASES 676,609,955 DEATHS 6,881,955 US CASES 103,804,263 US DEATHS 1,123,836 8:30pm 1/28/24

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The real problem is we don't know what we don't know. That's how it always is with new diseases. That's why all of this "like the flu" narrative was so damaging. Because we really could have had something that hit you like the flu, then damaged your heart or lungs in completely different ways. Hell, we still might have that now.

That's why the safest bet is still not to get the disease. Or if you do , to be vaccinated so that you'll have an advanced immune response and possibly offset the worst of it. But in general, people just need to stay the hell away from each other and stop acting like everything is okay now.
All of this. This was why I was so pissed at Donald Trump.

You NEVER EVER EVER want to get something that the medical community has NO IDEA what is going on because its so new (and COVID even in 2021 is still VERY VERY NEW)

Its not safe cause God forbid if you get it, you are now an experiment even to this day.

ShortyCumStain

Rising Star
OG Investor
I got a serious Covid observation and question. Everyone of my wifes family got covid in last 3 weeks her 88 year old granny,her 66 year old mother,her 4 55-60 year old Aunts and their husbands,her 39 year old niece and her 2 kids. All of them have recovered and none had any issues while they had covid. This weekend 3 of them had to be hospitalized with elevated heart rates,blood clots,eye pain and or severe digestive issues. They all have been released today under medical supervision. My question is is this the norm if you survive Covid infection that you will suffer from major shit and possibly die from this other shit that Covid causes? Cause its looking more and more like people are surviving inital covid but dying shortly thereafter like Big Zeus,Larry King etc..

Good ass question.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I got a serious Covid observation and question. Everyone of my wifes family got covid in last 3 weeks her 88 year old granny,her 66 year old mother,her 4 55-60 year old Aunts and their husbands,her 39 year old niece and her 2 kids. All of them have recovered and none had any issues while they had covid. This weekend 3 of them had to be hospitalized with elevated heart rates,blood clots,eye pain and or severe digestive issues. They all have been released today under medical supervision. My question is is this the norm if you survive Covid infection that you will suffer from major shit and possibly die from this other shit that Covid causes? Cause its looking more and more like people are surviving inital covid but dying shortly thereafter like Big Zeus,Larry King etc..
It’s really hard to tell because not enough studies support long term effects. We don’t know if those issues are short or long term.

Hopefully it is just a short term thing. But like you mentioned. Many have passed because of complications of covid

Reactions: flx

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

There were reports that people who had mild cases had prolonged issues.

Blood clots, lung issues, kidney failure, heart problems, balance issues, hallucinations, hot flashes, brain fog, headaches, body aches and general weakness. Google "covid long haulers."

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

HIGH CALIBER

Always Choose The Higher Dose
BGOL Investor
Yet another new COVID-19 variant seems to have developed, this one in Nigeria

Nairobi, Kenya — Another new variant of the coronavirus appears to have emerged in Nigeria, Africa's top public health official said Thursday, but he added that further investigation was needed.

The discovery could add to new alarm in the pandemic after similar variants were announced in Britain and South Africa, leading to the swift return of international travel restrictions and other measures just as the world enters a major holiday season.

"It's a separate lineage from the U.K. and South Africa," the head of the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, John Nkengasong, told reporters. He said the Nigeria CDC and the African Center of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases in that country - Africa's most populous - will be analyzing more samples.

"Give us some time. ... It's still very early," he said.

The alert about the apparent new variant was based on two or three genetic sequences, he said, but that and South Africa's alert late last week were enough to prompt an emergency meeting of the Africa CDC this week.

The variant was found in two patient samples collected on Aug. 3 and on Oct. 9 in Nigeria's Osun state, according to a working research paper seen by The Associated Press.

Unlike the variant seen in the U.K., "we haven't observed such rapid rise of the lineage in Nigeria and do not have evidence to indicate that the P681H variant is contributing to increased transmission of the virus in Nigeria. However, the relative difference in scale of genomic surveillance in Nigeria vs the U.K. may imply a reduced power to detect such changes," the paper says.

The news comes as infections surge again in parts of the African continent.

The new variant in South Africa is now the predominant one there, Nkengasong said, as confirmed infections in the country approach 1 million. While the variant transmits quickly and viral loads are higher, it is not yet clear whether it leads to a more severe disease, he said.

"We believe this mutation will not have an effect" on the deployment of COVID-19 vaccines to the continent, he said of the South Africa variant.

South Africa's health minister late Wednesday announced an "alarming rate of spread" in that country, with more than 14,000 new cases confirmed in the past day, including more than 400 deaths. It was the largest single-day increase in cases.

The country has more than 950,000 infections and COVID-19 is "unrelenting," Health Minister Zwelini Mkhize said.

The African continent now has more than 2.5 million confirmed cases, or 3.3% of global cases. Infections across the continent have risen 10.9% over the past four weeks, Nkengasong said, including a 52% increase in Nigeria and 40% increase in South Africa.

Nigeria now has more than 80,000 confirmed coronavirus cases.

For the first time since confirming sub-Saharan Africa's first virus case in February, Nigeria is in the spotlight during this pandemic as infections surge.

"Over recent weeks, we've had a huge increase in number of samples to (Nigeria CDC) reference lab," the CDC director-general Chikwe Ihekweazu tweeted on Thursday. "This has led to an unusual delay with testing, but we're working around the clock," with many colleagues cutting short their holidays and returning to work.

Yet another new COVID-19 variant seems to have developed, this one in Nigeria - CBS News

Good post lots of good info

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

my cardiologist friends have been recommending daily aspirin to all patients who had Covid
Just because so many people do come back with clots

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
3 Alabamians have contracted UK strain of COVID-19, state health officials report

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) has identified three residents who have tested positive for the new United Kingdom variant of COVID-19.

According to a press release from ADPH, the new and “more highly transmissible” COVID-19 variant, B.1.1.7, has been found in two residents in Montgomery County and one in Jefferson County. Two of the residents are children and one is an adult.

These are the first reported cases of the strain that was first detected in the UK in late 2020. The UAB Laboratory sequenced the specimen and identified them as the new variant.

The strain has been found in at least 24 other states, totaling 293 cases across the country. At this time, the UK strain has not been linked to worse outcomes that the first strain. The CDC says the current vaccines approved in the US should be effective in treating them.

No other information has been released as of the writing of this report.

3 Alabamians have contracted UK strain of COVID-19, state health officials report (cbs42.com)

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
‘You are now our guardian angel’: Alabama man with UK COVID-19 variant dies at 35
GL37MIKNHNGGJDNLOEFTSAC5VA.jpeg
Alfonzia Jackson Jr. and his family. He was one of the first people in Alabama diagnosed with a new strain of COVID-19 that originated in the United Kingdom. He's pictured here with his wife, Ashley Jackson, and his two daughters.

Alfonzia “A.J.” Jackson Jr., a 35-year-old Jefferson County father of two who was among the first diagnosed cases of the UK variant of COVID-19 in Alabama, has died, his wife announced Tuesday on social media.

“Lord this day has been hard. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone as I said goodbye to my amazing husband,” wrote Jackson’s wife, Ashley Jackson. . “You are now our guardian angel and you are at peace, rest on my amazing husband until we meet again.”

A.J. Jackson was admitted to UAB Hospital late last month and was among the first three Alabama cases of the COVID-19 variant, which is more contagious than the original coronavirus strain. Jackson went into organ failure at the hospital.

“My husband, we were talking about everything getting better, and to see him go from that to being on a breathing machine is hard,” Ashley Jackson told AL.com Sunday. “I have to keep strong for my girls, so when I get overly emotional I have to go to the garage to cry and scream.”

Ashley Jackson set up a Gofundme page to raise money for healthcare costs and living expenses. And she urges people with lingering symptoms who have tested negative for COVID to stay vigilant and quarantine until they recover.

The page has raised more than $71,000 as of Tuesday night.

‘You are now our guardian angel’: Alabama man with UK COVID-19 variant dies at 35 - al.com

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
The Rona got him.... took him in a week

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Captain Tom Moore, who raised millions for the NHS, dies aged 100

_116763977_capture.jpg

London (CNN)Tom Moore, the 100-year-old World War II veteran whose efforts to raise millions for the UK's National Health Service made him a universally adored icon during the first wave of the Covid-19 outbreak, has died in hospital after himself contracting the disease, his family said Tuesday.
Known affectionately as Captain Tom, Moore raised almost £33 million ($45 million) by walking laps of his garden last year. His exploits united a country frozen in lockdown and made him an unlikely celebrity late in his life, earning him a military promotion, a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II and a number-one single.
Moore tested positive for the virus and was taken to a hospital on Sunday, suffering from breathing problems after being treated for pneumonia, his family said. They announced his death on Tuesday.
"It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our dear father, Captain Sir Tom Moore," the family said in a statement to PA Media.

"The last year of our father's life was nothing short of remarkable. He was rejuvenated and experienced things he'd only ever dreamed of," they added. "Whilst he'd been in so many hearts for just a short time, he was an incredible father and grandfather, and he will stay alive in our hearts forever."
Buckingham Palace said the Queen was sending a private message of condolence to Moore's family, as numerous figures in British politics, culture, sport and society paid tribute to him.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was "a hero in the truest sense of the word," and Moore's foundation, set up in the wake of his remarkable fundraising achievements, said it was "heartbroken."

Captain Sir Tom Moore, who raised millions for the NHS, dies aged 100 - CNN

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
my cardiologist friends have been recommending daily aspirin to all patients who had Covid
Just because so many people do come back with clots
Regular tablet or children's chewable? I take a chewable daily as a part of my BP regimen.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Denmark to develop digital passport proving vaccinations
Denmark’s government is developing a digital passport that would show whether people have been vaccinated against the coronavirus

COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- Denmark's government said Wednesday it is joining forces with businesses to develop a digital passport that would show whether people have been vaccinated against the coronavirus, allowing them to travel and help ease restrictions on public life.

Finance Minister Morten Boedskov told a news conference that “in three, four months, a digital corona passport will be ready for use in, for example, business travel.”

“It is absolutely crucial for us to be able to restart Danish society so that companies can get back on track. Many Danish companies are global companies with the whole world as a market,” he added.

As a first step, before the end of February, citizens in Denmark would be able to see on a Danish health web site the official confirmation of whether they have been vaccinated.

“It will be the extra passport that you will be able to have on your mobile phone that documents that you have been vaccinated,” Boedskov said. “We can be among the first in the world to have it and can show it to the rest of the world.”

The coronavirus has seen a near-total halt in international travel as countries try to contain the spread of the virus. Major European airlines, for example, are flying a tenth of their normal traffic.

The Danish government's presentation was made together with representatives of the main business organizations, the Confederation of Danish Industries, which represents Denmark’s major companies, and the Danish Chamber of Commerce.

Denmark, like neighboring Nordic and Baltic countries, has in recent years moved toward a completely digital system to reduce bureaucracy with online platforms that support electronic authentication and digital signatures to enable paperless communications across both the private and public sectors.

The European Commission, meanwhile, has been weighing proposals to issue vaccination certificates to help get travelers to their vacation destinations more quickly and avoid another disastrous summer for Europe’s tourism sector. But the EU’s executive arm said for now such certificates would only be used for medical purposes, for instance to monitor the possible adverse effects of vaccines.

Some similar digital passports are being developed to help travelers to securely show they’ve complied with COVID-19 testing requirements. One, called CommonPass, says it could also track vaccinations.

On Tuesday, Estonia said it will allow passengers arriving into the country with a proof of COVID-19 vaccination to avoid quarantine requirements.

The Baltic country said that the certificate must meet certain criteria, including information saying when the vaccine was made, which vaccine was used, the issuer of the vaccine and the vaccine batch number. The certificate must be in either in Estonian, Russian, or English.

The Danish government said it will decide later on whether the digital passport should be used for purposes other than travel to help reopen public life.

Denmark to develop digital passport proving vaccinations - ABC News (go.com)

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend