TV News: WOW! ABC cancels 'One Life to Live,' 'All My Children' UPDATE: THEY ARE BACK?!?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I had to call my mom with the news she actually screamed

and "CURSED" my sis is gonna check in on her.

I never thought I would be alive and see that, damn All My Children held me

down in college:D

ABC cancels 'One Life to Live,' 'All My Children'
April 14, 2011, 3:31 PM EST
By Daniel Frankel
TheWrap

ABC announced Thursday that it will cancel venerable daytime dramas "One Life to Live" and "All My Children," leaving only four English-language soap operas on the air.

ABC described the move as an evolution, and it simultaneously announced two new lifestyle shows, "The Chew" and "The Revolution."

The cancellations add to the huge change coming to ABC-owned and -operated stations, with Oprah Winfrey's long-running syndicated series set to sign off May 25.

"While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can't help but recognize how bittersweet the change is," said Brian Frons, the president of daytime for Disney ABC/Television Group. "We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days."

The network promised in a news release to "conclude each series in a manner that respects their legacies and the longstanding hopes of many of their viewers."

Both "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" were created more than four decades ago by Agnes Nixon.

"All My Children," set in fictional Pine Valley, a town that closely resembles the Philadelphia Main Line, premiered on ABC on Jan. 5, 1970, as a half-hour show; seven years later it expanded to an hour. Star Susan Lucci was nominated for a Daytime Emmy 18 times before finally winning for Outstanding Lead Actress in 1999.

"One Life to Live," set in the fictional town of Llanview, which is modeled on a Philadelphia suburb, debuted July 15, 1968, as a half-hour show and became an hourlong in 1978.

"All My Children" won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series in 1992, 1994 and 1998. It has received more than 30 Emmy Awards in all, and has taken on such social issues as AIDS, abortion, cochlear implants, teenage alcoholism, racial bias, acquaintance rape, spousal abuse, homosexuality, Reyes syndrome, Vietnam MIAs and more. The show aired daytime's first same-sex kiss between two lesbian characters, as well as its first same-sex wedding between two women.

"One Life to Live" won the Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series in 2002. Its daytime firsts include stories of interracial romance, illiteracy, medical misdiagnosis, racial prejudice, gang violence and teen pregnancy.

Among its most celebrated story lines was one in 1992 about a gay teen (the then-unknown Ryan Phillippe) that culminated with the display of the Names Project AIDS Memorial Quilt. The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation named it Outstanding Daytime Drama in 1993, 2005 and 2010.

"The Chew," which will premiere in September 2011, focuses on food as a source of joy, health, family ritual, friendship, breaking news, dating, fitness, weight loss and travel. The hosts include Mario Batali (Food Network's "Iron Chef America"), entertaining expert Clinton Kelly (TLC's "What Not to Wear"), Carla Hall (Bravo's "Top Chef"); Michael Symon ("Iron Chef America") and nutrition expert Daphne Oz.

"The Revolution," a working title, will premiere in January 2012. The show, from "Biggest Loser" producers JD Roth and 3 Ball Productions, focuses on health and lifestyle transformations. The hosts include Tim Gunn ("Project Runway"), trainer Harley Pasternak and "American Idol" alumna Kimberley Locke.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Good riddance :smh:

Mama's living vicariously through soaps during the mid-day should been over in the early 80's

that cold fam...

I remember back in the day the girls would be packing the lounge and a dude couldnt even TALK when the "stories" was on...

but if you followed it a little you could get mad play off that...:cool:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
classic

the first young black couple on TV fam...

go ask around and alot college kids of that generation will tell you the

positive influence they had.

:D:D:D

Last edited:

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
You don't know the power you have when you talk to a chick about Nikki and victor

How you know about nikki and victor is that shit come on during work hours?

Back in the day my grandma had a tv that ran on quarters and she would sav up and Easter her quarters on those bs shows and she still watches that crap to this day. :smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
One Life to Live

Melissa Archer

melissa-archer-emmy-awards-10.jpg

melissa-archer-daytime-emmy-awards-7-480x679.jpg

image-27F8_4DA75785.jpg

image-4F3D_4DA75785.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
images

first-black-actress-cast-american-soap-opera

On this date in 1968, the first Black actress integrated American day-time television.

African-American Ellen Holly appeared on ABC’s “One Life To Live.” She appeared on "In the Heat of the Night" TV seriesand "Naked City," but is best remembered by long-time soap fans as actress-turned-Judge Clara "Carla" Hall on "One Life to Live," a role she played from 1968 to 1981, and again from 1983 to 1985.The show was the first to have a racially mixed cast and confront interracial relationships.

An accomplished writer as well as actress, she wrote much of the storyline for Carla on One Life to Live. She is one of the few African-American writers in the soap opera genre. She later wrote a book, "One Life: The Autobiography of an African American Actress."

She is also a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority

rebel

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How you know about nikki and victor is that shit come on during work hours?

Back in the day my grandma had a tv that ran on quarters and she would sav up and Easter her quarters on those bs shows and she still watches that crap to this day. :smh:
wow, I didnt know about this

427835483_651a41b9e6.jpg

SloPoke

Star
Registered
that cold fam...

I remember back in the day the girls would be packing the lounge and a dude couldnt even TALK when the "stories" was on...

but if you followed it a little you could get mad play off that...:cool:

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Brah... When I was a kid, Moms used to watch that shit wither her friend ...like it was church! Summertime as a kid sucked at 12pm when it was raining outside.