Woman, 20, fatally shot by upstate NY homeowner after pulling into wrong driveway

dade305

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Woman, 20, fatally shot by upstate NY homeowner after pulling into wrong driveway: sheriff​

By
David Propper and

Reuven Fenton
April 17, 2023 7:27pm
Updated

MORE ON:SHOOTINGS

A 20-year-old woman was shot dead by an upstate New York homeowner Saturday night after the driver of the car she was riding in turned into the wrong driveway, authorities said.
Kaylin Gillis, from Saratoga County, was inside the vehicle with three pals when they made a wrong turn into a driveway while searching for a friend’s house in the town of Hebron, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office said.
As the driver of the car was leaving, Kevin Monahan, the owner of the home the group accidentally pulled up to, allegedly fired two shots from his patio at the vehicle, authorities said.
Gillis was struck by one of the bullets.
Monahan, 65, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder, Sheriff Jeffrey Murphy said during a Monday press conference.

00:0001:23
“This is a very sad case of some young adults who were looking for a friend’s house and ended up at this man’s house who decided to come out with a firearm and discharge it,” Murphy said.
After the gunshots rang out around 10 p.m., Gillis and the friends drove away until they could call for help in a neighboring town, Murphy said, noting the area lacks reliable cellphone service.
Gillis was pronounced dead when first responders reached the car.
“She was just so young and she still had so much to live for. She had a very loving boyfriend, and she was so in love with him,” Gillis’ cousin Haleigh Eustis, 20, told The Post Monday night.
Victim Kaylin A. Gillis Victim Kaylin Gillis was killed Saturday night after the driver of the car she was riding in turned into the wrong driveway, according to police.GoFundMe
“I can’t imagine how he feels right now. I know they were attached at the hip. And she had a very loving family. It’s just a loving, big family, and she had such a strong backbone from being a part of this family. And I feel so much anger that she can’t have that anymore.”
The homeowner and group of friends in the car did not interact, Murphy said.
The group of friends also never left the car, Murphy added.
The house in Ebron, New York where the shooting took place. The house in Ebron, New York where the shooting took place.Angus Mordant
It’s unclear how long the car was in the driveway, but Murphy noted it was only a “very short time.”
The area where the shooting took place is very rural with many dirt roads where it’s “easy to get lost,” Murphy said.
“There’s clearly no threat from anyone in the vehicle,” Murphy said. “There’s no reason for Mr. Monahan to feel threatened.”
Alleged shooter Kevin Monahan. Alleged shooter Kevin Monahan was charged with second-degree murder.Washington County Sheriff's Office A warning posted on the property about trespassing. A warning posted on the property about trespassing.Angus Mordant
When deputies arrived at the home, Monahan, a laborer, was allegedly uncooperative.
He refused to leave his home for over an hour, leading to “a bit of a situation” before he was taken into custody, Murphy said.
Monahan is being held in neighboring Warren County before he appears in a Washington County court at a later date.
Monahan's name on a mailbox at the upstate house. Monahan’s name on a mailbox at the upstate house.Angus Mordant
Gillis’ father is a correction officer at the Washington County jail, the Times Union reported, citing public records.
The newspaper reported, citing a source, that investigators don’t believe mental illness or alcohol are factors in the shooting.
Friends of Gillis and her distraught family were still in disbelief over the fatal gun violence.
Gillis was pronounced dead by the time first responders arrived at the vehicle. Gillis was pronounced dead by the time first responders arrived at the vehicle.Kaylin Gillis/Facebook
Chuchay Stark, 48, told The Post Gillis was “really a gentle soul” who she has known since she was a little girl.
“She was one of those kids who make you say, ‘I wish she was my kid.’ She was very attuned to people’s needs and feelings,” Stark explained. “But there was no lack of confidence. She knew what she wanted. She knew her voice, and wasn’t afraid to be creative.”
When her daughter told her about Gillis’ death, she wept.
Monahan allegedly fired two shots from the patio of the house at the car on the driveway. Monahan allegedly fired two shots from the patio of the house at the car on the driveway.Angus Mordant
“In a small town, everybody is your children. Not being a family member, it’s still devastating. I can only imagine how heartbroken Angel and Andy are,” she said in reference to Gillis’ mother and father.
Eustis, Gillis’ cousin, called her the “goofball of the group.”
“She was very creative and would love to play these games where she’d make something out of nothing,” Eustis said.
Murphy said he knew the victim’s family.
Sheriff Jeffrey Murphy Sheriff Jeffrey Murphy during a Monday press conference.Washington County Sheriff's Office
“I know for a fact that she comes from a good family, a very good family,” Murphy said. “And I know them personally and she was a young girl that was taken way too young.”
A GoFundMe page has been started to help raise money for funeral costs.
The New York shooting comes two days after Ralph Yarl, 16, was shot and wounded after he rang the doorbell of a Kansas City, Missouri home Thursday.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I didn't know where Washington county was in Newyork but it's near the capital which is Albany.

You'll drive thru newyork state and think you were in some back woods of the deep south,little shiiity towns and places you don't want to stop in.

He was just shooting to be shooting,I hope they send that cac to prison for a long time.

illdog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The "i had every right to kill her look"...Courtesy of foxnews/nra..

NYPICHPDPICT000009778049.jpg

Last edited:

KrafMatik

Rising Star
Registered
I'll never forget one time as a teen I was going to see a girl. I had just got my license. I turned onto the the wrong street that happened to be a dead end. I pulled into a driveway to get out and as I'm pulling off a white man comes running out the house with a shotgun on aim. Shit scared the fuck out of me.

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
So he's charged with 2nd degree murder for shooting and killing a white girl....

The cac in Kansas City shoots a black child who goes to the wrong house and he aint charged with shit.....

yeah i see whats happening here.
my thought exactly

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
Ppl really like this old west
Shoot 1st and ask questions never

Where is the NRA or conservatives on this issue? Is just the cost of doing business cause in Merica we love our guns more than ppl

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So he's charged with 2nd degree murder for shooting and killing a white girl....

The cac in Kansas City shoots a black child who goes to the wrong house and he aint charged with shit.....

I think that old dude finally got charged.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Faux news got these CAC's all wound up tight, riddled with fright

24 hour loops of how dangerous shit is...how they are being targeted by all these people coming to replace them...the blacks, the immigrants, the youth, the LGBT, the "Left"

drumming into their fragile heads every minute.... of every second.... of every hour.....every single day.

Got these CAC's all ginned up, terrified and ready to shoot at the drop of hat

R.I.P to that young lady...didn't deserve to die that way. Hope they lock this CAC up for life

Last Dayz

Soul Thief
Certified Pussy Poster
I didn't know where Washington county was in Newyork but it's near the capital which is Albany.

You'll drive thru newyork state and think you were in some back woods of the deep south,little shiiity towns and places you don't want to stop in.

He was just shooting to be shooting,I hope they send that cac to prison for a long time.

Yea that's crazy, shit look like it's in Alabama somewhere.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Trigger happy cac are looking for reasons now and color doesn't matter anymore to them.
especially with the gloom and doom media telling them 24-7 America is done, your politicians sold you out, you can't afford to live,

Some of these dudes are probably just literally looking for someone to shoot at this point

and the white girl definitely into black dudes or was

probably banging hip hop and old cac lost it

white men have no issue killing their own if they can't control them

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor

Released his name and mugshot quick as fuck too

That's because it's NY. NY ain't about that shit...except for cops. They can murder anybody and get away with it.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Faux news got these CAC's all wound up tight, riddled with fright

24 hour loops of how dangerous shit is...how they are being targeted by all these people coming to replace them...the blacks, the immigrants, the youth, the LGBT, the "Left"

drumming into their fragile heads every minute.... of every second.... of every hour.....every single day.

Got these CAC's all ginned up, terrified and ready to shoot at the drop of hat

R.I.P to that young lady...didn't deserve to die that way. Hope they lock this CAC up for life

Thats EXACTLY what it is bruh, that mass media news induced paranoia is real as fuck....

and this trigger happy cac over reacted.. THAT BEING SAID,

If I lived way out in Boonfuck NY state, where NO traffic comes through, and all of a sudden

this car pulls up on the driveway.... with faces I never seen and voices I never heard...

Im not going to start shooting,

But I AM grabbing the tooly.. ask questions and give them at least five seconds to answer....

rather than

going fuckin full YOSIMITE SAM on muthafuckas!!

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
I hope he has to do all that time. BTW, whatever became of that old devil who shot a young man in the face for knocking on his door. That old devil needs to serve an attempted murder sentence.