Witness Captures Video of CTA Red Line Police-Involved Shooting

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

The incident happened just after 4 p.m. Friday at the CTA Grand Red Line station in River North

Published February 28, 2020 • Updated 48 mins ago

A man who was shot by a Chicago police officer during a confrontation Friday afternoon at the CTA Grand Red Line station was initially stopped by officers for crossing between train cars, police said.

The incident happened just after 4 p.m., sparking a heavy police presence at the CTA station located at State Street and Grand Avenue.

Video shared with NBC 5 afternoon shows two Chicago police officers struggling with a man in the approximately two minutes leading up to the moment shots were fired.

The officers used a taser and mace on the suspect, but weren't able to detain him. At one point, a female officer yells "give me your hands" as one shot is fired. The male suspect then runs up the escalator — followed by the two officers — as two additional shots are fired.

The unidentified suspect was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and underwent surgery, Chicago Police Department Deputy Superintendent Barbara West said. He was last reported in critical, but stable condition.

Red Line trains were initially standing due to the police activity, but later resumed with delays.

The shooting comes on the same day Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot and CPD officials touted a new safety plan aimed at reducing crime on the CTA.

Per protocol, the officers involved in the shooting were placed on administrative duties.

Civilian Office of Police Accountability, the civilian oversight agency of the CPD, and the Cook County State's Attorney's Office both responded to the scene.

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
Good grief.... First off, that midget almost shot her partner. Secondly she should be working the booth at the police impound lot.

No way she should have a gun. There was not lethal thread involved here. She should be terminated ASAP!

werd. i'm like he wasn't attacking yall, why shoot him. then chase and continue shooting?!!?

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
black cops white victim. lets see if police union have their back

Probably won't...

Good grief.... First off, that midget almost shot her partner. Secondly she should be working the booth at the police impound lot.

No way she should have a gun. There was not lethal thread involved here. She should be terminated ASAP!
werd. i'm like he wasn't attacking yall, why shoot him. then chase and continue shooting?!!?

As explained when the victim is black,

In some areas resisting arrest is a misdemeanor crime and attempting to flee, especially after non lethal methods have been used, is all the justification needed to shoot at a suspect that's running away from the police. The assumption is that either they have a warrant or paraphernalia that they don't want the police to find......

Again, that's when the victims were black and the cops were white...... Lets see how this plays out with it being the inverse

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So all this was over walking between cars..

Like I always say

Don't care the race..

Too many pussys on the police farce...

Can't fight worth a damn

And they shot him in the back that's some

Real faggot shit...

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
similar incident result:

Amtrak police officer found not guilty of murder in 2017 Union Station shooting
“The evidence is overwhelming that Tankson believed a threat existed...,” Judge Dennis Porter said. “The thought that Officer Tankson was some sort of cowboy out to put another notch on his gun is not borne out by the record in this case.”
By Andy Grimm@agrimm34 Feb 28, 2020, 11:47am CST
Share this story
Flanked by attorneys and supporters, Amtrak police officer LaRoyce Tankson walks out of the Leighton Criminal Courthouse after being found not guilty of murder charges by a Cook County judge, Friday morning, Sept. 28, 2020. Tankson was charged for the fatal on-duty shooting of a Minnesota man outside Union Station in February 2017. Ashlee Rezin Garcia/Sun-Times

An Amtrak police officer who fatally shot a Minnesota man as he fled from a pat-down search outside Union Station in 2017 was found not guilty of murder charges Friday by a Cook County judge.
Judge Dennis Porter made his ruling four days after the conclusion of a week-long bench trial of LaRoyce Tankson.

Porter — no stranger to controversy in cases involving police officers — is the judge who, in 2015, threw out involuntary manslaughter charges against former Chicago Police officer Dante Servin in the off-duty killing of Rekia Boyd.

Tankson shot Chad Robertson in February 2017, after Robertson took off running as Tankson and his partner patted down two of Robertson’s friends near the downtown train station.

Porter ruled that Tankson’s decision to shoot at 25-year-old Robertson was reasonable and found the officer not guilty on all counts. The judge also said the lesser charge of second-degree murder would not have been appropriate.

“The evidence is overwhelming that Tankson believed a threat existed…and the amount of force was justified,” Porter said. “The thought that Officer Tankson was some sort of cowboy out to put another notch on his gun is not borne out by the record in this case.”

Tankson wept as he embraced his lawyers after Porter finished reading an explanation for his ruling. In the courtroom gallery, Robertson’s supporters gasped.

Tankson had been placed on administrative duties after he was charged but now he will move to have his police powers restored, Tankson’s attorney Will Fahy said.

“We are thankful for Mr. Tankson and his family. This has been a long ordeal for all of them. I strongly believe this case should never have been charged,” Fahy said.
A civil lawsuit against Tankson and Amtrak is pending.

Rhonda Ward, the mother of two of Robertson’s three children — ages 3 and 9 — was stunned by Porter’s ruling.

”What am I supposed to tell my kids? That there’s no justice for their daddy? That they can’t run, they can’t stand still, [police] will shoot you no matter what you do?” Ward said. “I have known [Robertson] since I was 13 years old. He ain’t never had no gun or done nothing to hurt anybody. He’s been scared of the police his whole life.”

kirkout

DCPG
BGOL Investor
Any time you tussle with a cop you’re an imminent threat. Any time you refuse an officers demand and place your hands behind your back, you’re an imminent threat. Any time you don’t obey an officers commands, you’re an imminent threat. Any time you conceal your hands, you’re an imminent threat.

At least that’s how the justify their excessive actions against people of color. So with that I see nothing wrong here. He was given ample warnings and still didn’t comply.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Any time you tussle with a cop you’re an imminent threat. Any time you refuse an officers demand and place your hands behind your back, you’re an imminent threat. Any time you don’t obey an officers commands, you’re an imminent threat. Any time you conceal your hands, you’re an imminent threat.

At least that’s how the justify their excessive actions against people of color. So with that I see nothing wrong here. He was given ample warnings and still didn’t comply.
Anytime you do all of that and then run you are a imminent threat.

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Chicago police drop resisting arrest charges against man shot by officers in transit station

The victim is in the hospital in critical condition.

Chicago police and prosecutors announced Sunday that they will drop charges against a man who was shot by officers during a struggle Friday afternoon in a transit station.

Chicago Police Superintendent Charlie Beck asked Cook County State Attorney Kim Foxx not to charge Ariel Roman with resisting arrest and criminal narcotics charges, according to Chicago PD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

A witness recorded and later tweeted a video of two officers trying to apprehend Roman inside the Grand Red Line station Friday, where they ultimately fire shots at the man.

Roman was in critical condition as of Saturday night and the shooting is under investigation by Cook County State's Attorney and the FBI, according to the Chicago PD.

"Given the totality of circumstances and the department's significant level of concern around this incident, it would be insensitive to advocate for these charges," Guglielmi said in a statement.

The Cook County State Attorney's office said Sunday afternoon it agreed to the police's request and would dismiss the charges, according to a spokeswoman.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot's office did not immediately return messages for comment. She tweeted Friday night that she found the video "extremely disturbing and the actions by these officers are deeply concerning."

"I view this video with the eye of someone who has personally investigated numerous police-involved shootings and reviewed evidence of many more," Lightfoot, the former chair of the Chicago Police Accountability Task Force, tweeted.

CONTINUED:

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Investigation continues after cops shoot man at Grand Red Line station after he was ‘moving between 2 train cars’
CHICAGO — The investigation continues after Chicago police transit officers shot a man twice after they said he was moving between two train cars on a CTA train.

Officers responded to the CTA Red Line station at Grand and State around 4 p.m. Friday, according to Deputy Supt. Barbara West. Police said two officers assigned to the Mass Transit Unit were on the Red Line train when they observed a man jumping from car to car, which West said is a violation of city ordinance.

“A struggle ensued at the Grand Red Line station as they attempted to place the subject into custody. Both officers deployed their Tasers. At some point during the incident, one of the officers discharged their weapon, striking the subject twice,” police said in a statement.

Video posted on Twitter shows two police officers struggling with the man. The video shows officers using a stun gun on him and then pepper-spraying numerous times. The man is seen resisting efforts to be placed in handcuffs. He can be heard saying, “I didn’t do anything to you.”

CONTINUED:

KINGSAPIO

Torah All Day!
BGOL Investor
The person I worry most for is the person who recorded this.
If detectives want to be assholes, they'll look at camera's to fuck up the person who recorded life.
Same thing they did to homie that recorded the Eric Gardner murder

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
The person I worry most for is the person who recorded this.
If detectives want to be assholes, they'll look at camera's to fuck up the person who recorded life.
Same thing they did to homie that recorded the Eric Gardner murder
Ayoooo homie.... that sig..... IG please

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Chicago police drop resisting arrest charges against man shot by officers in transit station

The victim is in the hospital in critical condition.

Chicago police and prosecutors announced Sunday that they will drop charges against a man who was shot by officers during a struggle Friday afternoon in a transit station.

Chicago Police Superintendent Charlie Beck asked Cook County State Attorney Kim Foxx not to charge Ariel Roman with resisting arrest and criminal narcotics charges, according to Chicago PD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

A witness recorded and later tweeted a video of two officers trying to apprehend Roman inside the Grand Red Line station Friday, where they ultimately fire shots at the man.

Roman was in critical condition as of Saturday night and the shooting is under investigation by Cook County State's Attorney and the FBI, according to the Chicago PD.

"Given the totality of circumstances and the department's significant level of concern around this incident, it would be insensitive to advocate for these charges," Guglielmi said in a statement.

The Cook County State Attorney's office said Sunday afternoon it agreed to the police's request and would dismiss the charges, according to a spokeswoman.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot's office did not immediately return messages for comment. She tweeted Friday night that she found the video "extremely disturbing and the actions by these officers are deeply concerning."

"I view this video with the eye of someone who has personally investigated numerous police-involved shootings and reviewed evidence of many more," Lightfoot, the former chair of the Chicago Police Accountability Task Force, tweeted.

CONTINUED:
The bias is clear. Where's the police union on this.

Last edited: