With the signing of CAFTA, why are they risking their lives to get here???

J

JUju2005

with the signing of CAFTA, I thought more jobs for Central America :confused: :confused: :confused:
With all the negative stuff we say about this country, why are they risking their lives to get here

Aug 17, 6:54 PM EDT

104 Missing After Boat Sinks in Pacific

By ANDREW SELSKY
Associated Press Writer

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) -- A boat carrying more than 100 illegal immigrants capsized and sank in rough waters in the Pacific Ocean, and only nine survivors were found, clinging to a wooden box and buoys, officials said Wednesday.

Ecuadorean Navy Capt. Armando Elizalde told Colombian RCN television most of the 113 people aboard "sank with the boat."

The disaster that hit the boat - whose passengers were believed to be heading for the United States - occurred Friday night more than 100 miles off the coast of southwest Colombia.

"The boat, with way too many people aboard, was unable to resist a strong wave and it tipped over," Elizalde said, adding that most of those aboard were in the ship's hold when it capsized and could not escape. Thirteen people emerged on the surface but four of them later slipped under the waves, he said.

An Ecuadorean fishing boat found the survivors - seven men and two women - on Sunday, Elizalde said. They were later transferred to an Ecuadorean Coast Guard cutter.

The Colombian Navy said one of its planes and a boat were being deployed in a search-and-rescue operation. Ecuador's Coast Guard was also participating.

The disaster highlighted the perilous journey that migrants seeking to escape poverty in their homeland undertake to reach the United States.

Traffickers often use Ecuador's coast as a launching point, frequently taking illegal immigrants to Guatemala or Mexico so they can travel overland into the United States.

Last May, a Costa Rican fisherman rescued 88 would-be migrants from Ecuador and Peru from their foundering vessel after he found a message in a bottle they had tied to a float marking one of his long fishing lines.

The migrants said that they had paid traffickers as much as $3,000 each as a down payment for the trip, with a promise to pay another $7,000 more upon completing the journey. But the boat's crew abandoned them at sea after the engine failed.

In August 2004, a U.S. Coast Guard ship intercepted a disabled Ecuadorean boat carrying 106 illegal immigrants from Ecuador. The Coast Guard boarded the 40-foot fishing boat some 415 miles off Ecuador's Pacific coast. The drifting boat had apparently been abandoned by its crew.

Rear Adm. Eduardo Navas, general director of Ecuador's merchant marines, said those aboard the boat that sank in the nighttime darkness Friday, plunging the occupants into the icy waters of the Pacific, were presumably heading to the United States.

The passengers had departed from a beach near Esmeraldas, on Ecuador's northern coast.

Navas told Ecuadorean TV it was "a crime to have placed" so many Ecuadoreans in such a small boat, measuring no more than 65 feet in length.

----

Associated Press reporter Edison Lopez contributed to this report from Quito, Ecuador.

Link

Gods_Favorite

Star
Registered
Have you ever left this country seriously? it doesn't matter if there are more jobs in countries like Colombia, the people would rather live here on welfare than have a job in Colombia, the people in central and South America live in shit. Your taking the lifestyle in America for granted and assume everyone lives the same way, a job in Colombia is nothing like a job in America.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
If I were white I would live in canada, amsterdam, and many other countries.

Alas I am black and we have few options, I really dont see how any white muthafuckas think this country is the best.

Anyway, these trade agreements are just making china the beast, think about it. America is so greedy its giving all these other countries the "work" for the quick income.

They on some bling bling shit, shine now pay later.

But seriously, white folks got better countries to live in, I like thick sitsers and aint many in canada.

Gods_Favorite

Star
Registered
gene cisco said:
If I were white I would live in canada, amsterdam, and many other countries.

Alas I am black and we have few options, I really dont see how any white muthafuckas think this country is the best.

Anyway, these trade agreements are just making china the beast, think about it. America is so greedy its giving all these other countries the "work" for the quick income.

They on some bling bling shit, shine now pay later.

But seriously, white folks got better countries to live in, I like thick sitsers and aint many in canada.

How does being black stop you from moving to a country like Canada or Holland?