Why are black Americans less affected by the opioid epidemic? Racism, probably.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Amid all the horrors of the opioid painkiller and heroin epidemic, one good bit of news is communities avoiding the worst of the epidemic?

Amid all the horrors of the opioid painkiller and heroin epidemic, one good bit of news is that it hasn't hit minority communities very hard. But there's never really been, in my view, a satisfactory explanation for this: Why are minority communities avoiding the worst of the epidemic?

Well, the New York Times has a possible explanation — and it's disheartening. Gina Kolata and Sarah Cohen reportedfor the Times:

There is a reason that blacks appear to have been spared the worst of the narcotic epidemic, said Dr. Andrew Kolodny, a drug abuse expert. Studies have found that doctors are much more reluctant to prescribe painkillers to minority patients, worrying that they might sell them or become addicted.

"The answer is that racial stereotypes are protecting these patients from the addiction epidemic," said Dr. Kolodny, a senior scientist at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University and chief medical officer for Phoenix House Foundation, a national drug and alcohol treatment company.

It's a troubling possibility: Basically, doctors didn't give black patients drugs that were thought to be needed for pain treatment due to racist stereotypes. Then white patients who got the drugs became addicted, and some, over time, shifted to another, cheaper, more potent opioid — heroin — to satiate their addiction.

To be clear, the doctors' stated fears — that black patients are more likely to illegally sell and get addicted to drugs — are based on false stereotypes: The research shows black people aren't more likely than their white counterparts to use or sell illicit drugs.

The result is an opioid epidemic that has disproportionately hit white Americans. A 2014 study published by JAMA Psychiatry found that nearly 90 percent of treatment-seeking patients who began using heroin in the previous decade were white — a big shift from equal racial representation prior to the 1980s.

The disproportionate impact of the current epidemic on white communities, however, may be one reason the response to the crisis has been fairly different from the response to previous drug epidemics. While the crack cocaine epidemic, for instance, produced a response mostly through the criminal justice system, the opioid epidemic has led mostly to a public health response. Race offers one explanation for that historical discrepancy.

How race and class have affected the opioid epidemic
Last year, Katharine Seelye reportedanother story for the Times that exposed some of the racial differences in how public officials are approaching the opioid epidemic. Take, for instance, this anecdote from a police officer:

So officers like Eric Adams, a white former undercover narcotics detective in Laconia, are finding new ways to respond. He is deployed full time now by the Police Department to reach out to people who have overdosed and help them get treatment.

"The way I look at addiction now is completely different," Mr. Adams said. "I can't tell you what changed inside of me, but these are people and they have a purpose in life and we can't as law enforcement look at them any other way. They are committing crimes to feed their addiction, plain and simple. They need help."

Adams couldn't explain what changed inside of him. But it's possible that race could have played a factor: Maybe Adams and other police officers are more likely to see a heroin addict as a victim simply because the addict is now more likely to be white and middle-class.

There's some solid evidence behind this idea: The research shows the publicand police possess subconscious biases that make them more likely to view black people and other minorities as less innocent and more criminal.

The history of past drug epidemics also tells the story. During the 1970s and '80s, federal and state lawmakers reacted to the heroin and crack cocaine epidemics of those times with punitive tough-on-crime policies, including the launch of the war on drugs. And those older epidemics primarily hurt lower-class, minority groups in urban areas — not the middle-class and wealthier white people in rural and suburban places mostly hurt by the opioid epidemic of today.

Race and class also may play a role even for someone who's free of subconscious or overt racial bias. Since lawmakers tend to be whiter and wealthier, they may not have had personal contact with victims of past drug crises. But they do today — and many of them even share personal stories in their push for drug policy and criminal justice reform. By simply having more personal contact with addicts, lawmakers have been driven to treat the current epidemic as a public health, not criminal justice, issue.

This is essentially what Michael Botticelli, head of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, told the Times: "Because the demographic of people affected are more white, more middle class, these are parents who are empowered. They know how to call a legislator, they know how to get angry with their insurance company, they know how to advocate. They have been so instrumental in changing the conversation."

Race and class probably don't explain the entire story
There is one caveat to the race and class explanation: The opioid epidemic coincides with a criminal justice reform effort that largely began before the current drug crisis was well-known in the mainstream. The reform effort by and large started, particularly in conservative states, as an attempt to cut the costs states were facing from locking up so many people. So while race and class have likely played a role in the softer public health approach to drugs, there are other factors, too.

Of course, that caveat doesn't do anything for the millions of minority Americans who were disproportionately arrested and incarcerated for their addiction in previous decades. For them, it increasingly looks like if they had been born at a different time or of a different class and race, their lives wouldn't have been ruined by an approach to justice that the public and political leaders now by and large see as far too harsh.

https://www.vox.com/2016/1/25/10826560/opioid-epidemic-race-black

Last edited:

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
It does. Clearly you haven't been listening to mumble rap. Btw most of the arrests from the war on drugs Era were drug DEALERS or from violent crime that resulted from the business

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
From a medical perspective when us so called Black people express concerns of pain we'd sooner get motrin or tylenol. Where as whitey was getting percoset and oxy. I'm just repeating what medical professionals in family have been saying for years. Sadly white devils don't value our cries for pain like they do that of white tears. Good old fashion racism doing a 360 and fucking devils.

clitsational

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Btw most of the arrests from the war on drugs Era were drug DEALERS

or from violent crime that resulted from the business
you cant b serious bruh

i was in court and watched 2 users with the exact same charge get vastly different sentences

the black guy got prison 366 days

the white guy (on his third possession infraction by the way) got out-patient treatment and walked out of the courtroom

pretty much standard according to the stats

caused by the mandatory minimum sentencing requirements

:cool:

Last edited:

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
To quote myself...

Part of the reason is because doctors don't prescribe to black folks like they do white folks. There is a myth we don't feel pain, or that if we complain we are only trying to get the meds, so black people in general are under treated for pain symptoms. My brother can go to a doctor and barely get a 7 day supply of pain meds. His white co workers go and they have 3+ months worth. Medical racism is saving us in this case.

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
you cant b serious bruh

i was in court and watched 2 users with the exact same charge get vastly different sentences

the white guy (on his third possession infraction by the way) got out-patient treatment and walked out of the courtroom

Exactly. I have seen it at many trials at the criminal court house on 161st in the Bronx. The way whites get a pass and non whites get the shaft. It's no where near justice or fair. Fuck the system and it's blind supporters.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
you cant b serious bruh

Thanks for telling me about your one case you saw once that I'm just supposed to believe you by because I wasn't there.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
From a medical perspective when us so called Black people express concerns of pain we'd sooner get motrin or tylenol. Where as whitey was getting percoset and oxy. I'm just repeating what medical professionals in family have been saying for years. Sadly white devils don't value our cries for pain like they do that of white tears. Good old fashion racism doing a 360 and fucking devils.
So you're saying you WANT Black people to be hooked on these drugs like white people now?

ankhheru

BGOL Investor
I've mentioned in serveral threads over the coarse of this year about the back issues I've been going through and the treatment I've been receiving at the pain clinic. Racism is a huge factor. Unless you have reoccurring treatment for chronic pain you really won't notice it.

I've been treated for my back for dam near three years and I can can tell you first hand that initially they push liver and stomach killers like Tylenol and Motrin to blacks faster than they do whites.

When they finally do give you opiates its the smallest dosage allowed by by the DEA. They also force you to take alternative treatments such as injections, implants, etc if you expect to continue treatment knowing full well these treatments cause other issues further down the line. They don't push these on white patients. I know because I ask.

On the other hand I've personally talked to white patients as well as blacks concerning their treatments and most blacks get drug tested more to ensure they take their meds and not selling them or aren't using other drugs and whites get better meds in higher dosages.

I was getting drug tested every month at one point until I went to the veterans administrations patient advocate about it and they finally stopped but to pay me back they dropped the amount of meds I receive.

This is why I can't empathize with this epidemic. Fuck them.

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Black pain tolerance is higher. We don't just run to the doctor for s ache or pain. Most of us don't go to doctors because of the cost. Chris Rock said it best with "Put some of that Tussin on it!" Whites feel entitled to health care and cannot stomach discomfort, while blacks deal with worry, hunger and pain almost daily. It's a choice of which one we are gunna let bother us. Whites can't deal with any aspect of discomfort. Just another day to us. I've taken the high dosage pills after surgery and had pills left over when it healed. Just how we are built.

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Black pain tolerance is higher. We don't just run to the doctor for s ache or pain. Most of us don't go to doctors because of the cost. Chris Rock said it best with "Put some of that Tussin on it!" Whites feel entitled to health care and cannot stomach discomfort, while blacks deal with worry, hunger and pain almost daily. It's a choice of which one we are gunna let bother us. Whites can't deal with any aspect of discomfort. Just another day to us. I've taken the high dosage pills after surgery and had pills left over when it healed. Just how we are built.

Not true. Black people have not had the resources to seek medical attention for every issue. Thats why home remedies and street drugs are used. its often embedded into the culture as well - "he's alright, what he needs is a good dose of xxx", "the boy needs to work harder, to get his mind right", "if you don't sit still, I'm gonna give you a whippin'", etc.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
This is a lie and myth which doctors use to not prescribe or treat blacks like whites. Studies have shown this.
lol you're gonna find that this thread will be a mixed bag of opinions on the same topic, same opinions, with different angles.

Some will say "good for these CACs, theyre hooked on opiods, and NOW, they call substance addiction a problem"

Some will say "THEY don't give US the damn drugs! UNFAIR!"

Some will say "they think we don't feel pain!"

Some will say "We are superior and don't feel pain"

Kinda hard to keep up.

It does suck that they can't lock doctors who freely subscribe these things up in the way they locked up Black drug dealers in the 80s. I guess if the whote conservatives get out there to demand it like the Black caucus did back then, maybe it would.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've mentioned in serveral threads over the coarse of this year about the back issues I've been going through and the treatment I've been receiving at the pain clinic. Racism is a huge factor. Unless you have reoccurring treatment for chronic pain you really won't notice it.

I've been treated for my back for dam near three years and I can can tell you first hand that initially they push liver and stomach killers like Tylenol and Motrin to blacks faster than they do whites.

When they finally do give you opiates its the smallest dosage allowed by by the DEA. They also force you to take alternative treatments such as injections, implants, etc if you expect to continue treatment knowing full well these treatments cause other issues further down the line. They don't push these on white patients. I know because I ask.

On the other hand I've personally talked to white patients as well as blacks concerning their treatments and most blacks get drug tested more to ensure they take their meds and not selling them or aren't using other drugs and whites get better meds in higher dosages.

I was getting drug tested every month at one point until I went to the veterans administrations patient advocate about it and they finally stopped but to pay me back they dropped the amount of meds I receive.

This is why I can't empathize with this epidemic. Fuck them.

Wow :smh:

ankhheru

BGOL Investor
lol you're gonna find that this thread will be a mixed bag of opinions on the same topic, same opinions, with different angles.

Some will say "good for these CACs, theyre hooked on opiods, and NOW, they call substance addiction a problem"

Some will say "THEY don't give US the damn drugs! UNFAIR!"

Some will say "they think we don't feel pain!"

Some will say "We are superior and don't feel pain"

Kinda hard to keep up.

It does suck that they can't lock doctors who freely subscribe these things up in the way they locked up Black drug dealers in the 80s. I guess if the whote conservatives get out there to demand it like the Black caucus did back then, maybe it would.
The problem I'm speaking on is blacks don't receive PROPER treatment. Im not discussing wanting to over prescribe drugs to blacks. We don't get adequate treatment period.

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Racism has caused Black people to not have to deal with addiction bullshit.

I'm enjoying the pain white people are going through.

ankhheru

BGOL Investor
I have needles placed in my spine up to six times a year just to be able to continue getting under medicated for my condition. Who wants to live this way? I recently had radio frequency treatment three months ago and four to six months from now I'll be up for them again. This involves a set of four needles on both sides of my back.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
One of the few times that racism benefited us. Another much smaller factor is that we seem more adverse to getting pain meds. Ive seen people refuse or ask for a smaller dose and they are almost always black folks.Especially elderly.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
I have needles placed in my spine up to six times a year just to be able to continue getting under medicated for my condition. Who wants to live this way? I recently had radio frequency treatment three months ago and four to six months from now I'll be up for them again. This involves a set of four needles on both sides of my back.
I'm curious, what do you have going on?

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
The problem I'm speaking on is blacks don't receive PROPER treatment. Im not discussing wanting to over prescribe drugs to blacks. We don't get adequate treatment period.
I get it but here's the thing.

Unless you believe these white people have been intentionally over diagnosed, what makes you think the same.woukdnt happen to Black people ?

Already in the illegal market ya got tons of people out here doing these drugs and our rappers make the commercials for it

Percocet! Molly Percocet!

So sure, release the hounds.

ankhheru

BGOL Investor
I get it but here's the thing.

Unless you believe these white people have been intentionally over diagnosed, what makes you think the same.woukdnt happen to Black people ?

Already in the illegal market ya got tons of people out here doing these drugs and our rappers make the commercials for it

Percocet! Molly Percocet!

So sure, release the hounds.
It's not a belief. It's a know. We aren't supposed to ask other patients about their treatment but I do and some of the shit white people get with far less problems than me could still a horses heart. On the flip side I can't even function normally on my treatment plan.

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
It's not a belief. It's a know. We aren't supposed to ask other patients about their treatment but I do and some of the shit white people get with far less problems than me could still a horses heart. On the flip side I can't even function normally on my treatment plan.
I believe you. But what makes you think this addiction problem can't just as easily transfer to the Black community? Are we even sure it hasn't already?