Votes: 46 75.4%
  • Teddy Pendergrass

Votes: 15 24.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
I'm not really sure what the comparison is. Marvin took soul music to new heights and directions. Teddy had Gamble & Huff and MFSB (for the most part) and that's a killer combination. Not to say Teddy wasn't a very good singer.

A more apt comparison would have been Marvin Junior because G&H wrote most of Teddy's songs with him in mind.

You'd have to compare Marvin to Donny and Sam.

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"What's Going On" was the defining social conscious album of the 70's. For that reason alone I have to go with Marvin. The sistahs might disagree cause Teddy was a strong voiced, soulful, sexy muthafucka who had them throwing their panties at him. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
Marvin but the radio host the OP referenced shouldn't be on radio if she can't see that Teddy was a special artist

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
I'm not really sure what the comparison is. Marvin took soul music to new heights and directions. Teddy had Gamble & Huff and MFSB (for the most part) and that's a killer combination. Not to say Teddy wasn't a very good singer.

A more apt comparison would have been Marvin Junior because G&H wrote most of Teddy's songs with him in mind.

You'd have to compare Marvin to Donny and Sam.
Marvin Junior is a great great vocal talent (probably better than Teddy in straight up talent) and the Dells had their hits but Teddy was a bigger artist....unfair match up to Marvin Junior

smoovejazz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
"What's Going On" was the defining social conscious album of the 70's. For that reason alone I have to go with Marvin. The sistahs might disagree cause Teddy was a strong voiced, soulful, sexy muthafucka who had them throwing their panties at him. :rolleyes:

And beyond.

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bitch. When we do a thread on that drill music trash and the animals killing each other to it, then we will allow your input. Until then, fall the fuck back.

Oh and...

The District.
My generation of music has produced the richest and greatest black entrepreneurs the world has ever seen.

your generation was loser dope fiends

Frankie lymon
Hendrix
Gaye
Ray Charles

U old ass niggas was shooting up shit in your ahhms daily

relax old man.

smoovejazz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Marvin...and it's not close.

And some of it was the marketing behind them. Both had nice voices (although I thought Marvin's was better). But Motown had a different marketing strategy (although Marvin tried to buck the marketing trend with "What's Going On", and he and all of us benefitted from it). This made Marvin's music more widespread than Teddy's (pop/R&B vs. straight R&B).

SmoothD

Smooth*****
BGOL Investor
Women threw their panties on stage for Teddy.
Never heard of any women doing that at Marvin Gaye concert.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Marvin Junior is a great great vocal talent (probably better than Teddy in straight up talent) and the Dells had their hits but Teddy was a bigger artist....unfair match up to Marvin Junior

You don't know what you're talking about. Marvin Junior was a great vocalist and his rough baritone was comparable to Teddy's. Nobody is talking about hits; we all know (at least those of us who know music) that there are tons of great vocalists and musicians that just didn't get a break. That doesn't diminish their talent.

Rezn8

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Both of them are legends and I loved them both, but Marvin was an all-around genius of a musician. Marvin was a drummer, a GREAT pianist, and a brilliant writer. Teddy was a legendary singer, but he wasn't really in Marvin's class as an all-around artist, in my opinion. Like knightmelodic said in his post, Teddy benefitted from that Gamble & Huff machine of writers and arrangers at Philly International. Marvin's career, on the other hand, really took off when Motown released the reigns and gave him the freedom to be himself and do his own thing. It's a small example, but look at what Marvin did with his version of the Star Spangled Banner. For damn near forty years, people have been doing their own takes on that song, and nobody has ever come close to matching him yet. Again, just my opinion.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
My generation of music has produced the richest and greatest black entrepreneurs the world has ever seen.

your generation was loser dope fiends
Bitch. You in your 30s. The generation that produced the richest and greatest black musicians was mine by far. And the handful of rich niggas you reference are in their 50s and are not even in your generation you confused midget. Your generation is filled with skinny jean, gun shooting illiterate junkies who spend all their money on funny looking shoes and fake jewels purchased from kikes and gooks.

Now again, gtfo this muthafuckin thread!

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Marvin but Teddy was no slouch dating back to his blue note days it's just that Marvin had those songs that will live on but Teddy had a presence on that stage you couldn't buy if you wanted to.

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
You don't know what you're talking about. Marvin Junior was a great vocalist and his rough baritone was comparable to Teddy's. Nobody is talking about hits; we all know (at least those of us who know music) that there are tons of great vocalists and musicians that just didn't get a break. That doesn't diminish their talent.
What a weird response...I literally said Marvin Junior was probably better than Teddy in terms of straight up talent

Mack1052

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Marvin but Teddy was no slouch dating back to his blue note days it's just that Marvin had those songs that will live on but Teddy had a presence on that stage you couldn't buy if you wanted to.

This.. Marvin overall but if we include the Blue notes catalog with his solo career, it's closer than people think. These are classics, straight Saturday morning cleaning/bbq music

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Women threw their panties on stage for Teddy.
Never heard of any women doing that at Marvin Gaye concert.
Women throwing panties on stage was a staple of Tom Jones' concerts, it was started when his agent or manager paid women to throw their panties on stage and when the word got out it started happening at all his performances.

SmoothD

Smooth*****
BGOL Investor
Women throwing panties on stage was a staple of Tom Jones' concerts, it was started when his agent or manager paid women to throw their panties on stage and when the word got out it started happening at all his performances.
Damn. Never knew that.

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
These two albums sealed it up for Marvin as far as comparing him to Teddy. A better comparison would have been Stevie Wonder vs. Marvin Gaye.

MarvinGayeWhat%27sGoingOnalbumcover.jpg
Marvin-gaye-i-want-you.jpg

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bitch. You in your 30s. The generation that produced the richest and greatest black musicians was mine by far. And the handful of rich niggas you reference are in their 50s and are not even in your generation you confused midget. Your generation is filled with skinny jean, gun shooting illiterate junkies who spend all their money on funny looking shoes and fake jewels purchased from kikes and gooks.

???????????????

Jay-Z
Kanye
Diddy
Master P

Bitch these are my generation

all 90s

you mad berry gordy ran your generation into the fucking ground?

STFU I wasn’t born with a 90 or 00 next to my name.

respect the future.

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Also QUINCY jones your greatest musical achievement left his while entire legacy to mix breed cacs who will wash out his legacy and genes.

My Generation is Jay-z who not only has gained massive wealth for his family he in addition sets up his constituents family with generational wealth as well.

now go listen to your mo-town greatest hits collection u keep in your cubbard.

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Marvin wins this by KO,if you compare them by the big 3 categories its all Marvin.

1.Sales-Marvin Gaye was the 5th biggest selling act of all time at Motown behind Stevie,Jackson 5,Temptations,Supremes with over 50 million albums and 25 million singles. Teddy sold less than 25 million total records.
2.Cultural Significance-Marvins Whats Goin On crossed over to be one of the worlds most significant albums of the 70s and is universally rated in top 5 albums of all time. Teddy never crossed over to a wider audience.
3.Vocal-Both had great voices in there style but Marvin voice was again transcedent his version of the Anthem was THE version until Whitney Houston.