Who Did This Version The Best? - The Isley Bothers, Bob Dylan Or Isaac Hayes?.....

Who Did The Best Version Of "Lay, Lady, Lay"?

• Bob Dylan

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Isaac Hayes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • The Isley Brothers

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Simply_Black

International
International Member
I'm a massive Isley Brothers fan and personally thought that they did a better version of Bob Dylan's original "Lay, Lady, Lay"... but today I heard the Isaac Hayes version for the first time and thought it was was damn good, a bit more deep & soulful than the others....

.... who did it best?... you decide.

.... here's a bonus version with Buddy Guy and Anthony Hamilton... not as popular as the 3 posted above but well worth a listen. :cool:

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
The cool thing about the Isleys version is that Bob Dylan actually called Ron and asked him to do the cover. That's what you call industry respect.

Good post. I am also a huge Isley fan. They absolutely need a non-filtered biopic. If they keep in all the drama, it would be an epic movie.

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bob Dylan once in a while exhibited a tiny bit of soul and it came out in songs like Lay, Lady, Lay and Gotta Serve Somebody. :hmm:

Simply_Black

International
International Member
The cool thing about the Isleys version is that Bob Dylan actually called Ron and asked him to do the cover. That's what you call industry respect.

Good post. I am also a huge Isley fan. They absolutely need a non-filtered biopic. If they keep in all the drama, it would be an epic movie.

I dare anyone to name a more prolific artiste that Ron Isley... He has been involved with hit song as way back as 1959 (With Twist and Shout), singing with his brothers, then in the 60's with Motown hits, on to the 70's 80's & 90's with more Isley Brothers success, then to the current decade with collaborations with many other artistes.