Where would you rank Kobe's death among the shocking moments of your lifetime?

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I remember this one too. You're right, we all thought it was a joke.

.....and that is one fine lady right there.
:yes:

5Sf5fx.jpg

Eli_Porter

BANNED
Registered
I’m in my 40’s and I’m in more disbelief over Kobe than any other tragedy. I know that in the past 10 years that Michael Jackson was probably the most famous person to have died, Ali is probably the second most famous person who died but Kobe kind of had this aura of invincibility around him (like Jordan) so it’s hard to make come to terms with this. It’s literally impossible for me to actually accept this as fact.

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nigga did u just put Elvis death above MJ and prince :hmm: :smh: .......

You had to be there Nigga. It was way before the internet and looking back that was some truly weird shit to me. I was a kid so the concept of death is not the same. For me, it was the 1st big celebrity death that I really paid close attention too. I remember the reaction of people on the news was something different than I had seen before. The Hysteria of Elvis's death made him a bigger star in the grave than he ever was walking the Earth.

Michael Jackson and Prince died while I was a man well into middle age. I have to say the effect and feelings were much different for me. Sadly My reaction to Michael Jackson is tempered by the fact that I have experienced a death or three by then. Michael Jackson and then Prince's deaths occurred at a time when we are bombarded by celebrity news 24x7. So if you care to you can follow your favorites all the time. You can watch them deteriorate from the comfort of your favorite easy chair or at work every day. Not the case in 1977.

You sound like someone born after 1985 in which case your experience would be much different from mine. It makes neither of our experiences any less valid.

Last edited:

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sorry....I rank my uncle, my child hood friend Bae Bae, my cousin Shelton, alot of people that's came and gone...I rank Kobe,and any of those folks I don't know...way in the 1000s as my shock value...
R.I.P. to Kobe....but I got so many fallen soldiers gone home..I then lost count...brah

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’m in my 40’s and I’m in more disbelief over Kobe than any other tragedy. I know that in the past 10 years that Michael Jackson was probably the most famous person to have died, Ali is probably the second most famous person who died but Kobe kind of had this aura of invincibility around him (like Jordan) so it’s hard to make come to terms with this. It’s literally impossible for me to actually accept this as fact.

I know what you mean. When Ali died there was no surprise cause you knew he had been ill. I skipped shock and went straight to sorrow. All my life there had always been Ali. He was always there and then he was gone. At that moment I really felt a little old.

kirkout

DCPG
BGOL Investor
I didn’t put events like 9/11 and the Challenger space shuttle disaster in my post because I just numbered celebrity deaths that impacted me.

9/11 was a very hard time. I had a cousin in the pentagon when the plane hit. We waited anxiously for him to get home after we found out he was ok. I will never forget the look in his eyes when he got to his spot. He was covered in dust and had the “thousand yard stare” in his eyes. It was eerie for me. He enlisted full-time right after that, he was already in the reserves.It was such a crazy day making sure everyone you know got home safely even though a lot of people didn’t make it. Sad time in our nation’s history.

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hank Gathers fucked me up, I was like no way.

Tupac and Biggie
9/11
Marvin Gaye was really fucked up, I was a kid when that happened, just remember listening Sexual Healing over and over again.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
This here. Lost far too many loved ones, but out of folks I don't know personally, this is the biggest to me. Like I said in the other thread, the space shuttle in the 80s was top for me until this. I remember the stretch with don rogers and len bias dying. Hank Gathers was crazy because it got me paranoid playing ball in school.

But this shit. Just the craziest. :smh:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Sorry....I rank my uncle, my child hood friend Bae Bae, my cousin Shelton, alot of people that's came and gone...I rank Kobe,and any of those folks I don't know...way in the 1000s as my shock value...
R.I.P. to Kobe....but I got so many fallen soldiers gone home..I then lost count...brah
love 1s were obvious... It was entertainment and events

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Not as high as you would think. Nothing against Kobe his death is a very sad but others have died and or were assassinated whose deaths were just as devastating.

Can't ignore the deaths of MLK, Malcolm X, Fred Hampton, Medgar Evers and James Meredith to name a few. From an entertainment standard its up there with Prince, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Kobe's death isn't as much of a shock to me as it seems to be a cosmic injustice. I guess when you get to a certain age and you have experienced the death of loved ones and others close to you not to mention celebrities it doesn't hit you the same way. My shock turned into sorrow for his family.

1) Len Bias - This was huge in my neck of the woods. We were nearly the same age. He had so much in front of him.
2) John Lennon - So fucking stupid. Chalk another death up to Crazy.
3) Elvis Presley - Nobody saw that coming although the signs were there. He had just a concert in Baltimore where he was grossly out of shape, mumbled or flat out forgot lyrics and disappeared off stage for around 30 min before returning and blaming it on Nature calling or twisting his ankle or some other Bullshit. He would drop dead trying to drop the kids off at the pool less than 3 months later.
4) That Merkel Kid - Not a celebrity but a Boy I knew growing up who hung himself. His mom was a crossing guard assigned to the intersection right in front of my door. The Kid hung himself because wouldn't let him go or give him money to go to a local school bazaar. That was a shock and its one I still remember over 4 decades later. It was the 1st time a kid I knew and saw almost every day died.
5) Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion- Being a big fan of the Space Program this was a shock. I was working in a department store and I immediately went to the Electronics department to see what happened. I remember co-workers trying to come up with elaborate scenarios under which the astronauts may have survived.
6) MLK's Mom - Some nut shot this poor woman in the church as she played the organ. I was a kid when this happened. Not many people remember that one but I have never really forgotten it. Chalk another one up to crazy.
7) 9/11 - Watched it unfold on TV as I got ready for work. Shock quickly turned to anger.

8) Space Shuttle Columbia - I was on my way to class when the news broke on that one.

9) Michael Jackson - How did we not see this coming. That took a while to really sink in. It didn't seem real until that night after I got home from work.

10) Prince - Pulling out of my driveway going to work and I heard a local sports talk host announce his death being reported on Twitter. I thought here is more Internet Bullshit. I was about two miles from home when it was confirmed by other news agencies.

John Lennon? Elvis Presley? the Merkel Kid? Not people black people concern themselves about. :cmonson:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I was too young to remember Jim Jones and Jonestown. I can only imagine the horror and disbelief seeing that shit on tv for the first time. :smh:
aox91L.jpg

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
People mentioning Princess Diana are pure crackers. I don't know one black person who gave a fuck about Princess Diana

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Hurricane Katrina
Michael Jackson's Death
Kobe and GiGi Bryant
Barack Obama's election
Prince's Death
9/11

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I think after losing my mother unexpectedly in 2012 all celebrity deaths just faded into the background. That was my "shit just got real" moment. As tragic as these deaths are, I'm usually done thinking about them after a day or two.

Cannibal

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Quite shocking someone his age. A musician's or actors are like shocking but musicians have a track record for overdosing and shit. That shit is a shocker.

crazyace718

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think Kobe's death was the most untimely. He wasn't old. His body was nearly in peak physical condition. Wasnt a pill popping addict. Didn't hang out with gang bangers.

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
John Lennon? Elvis Presley? the Merkel Kid? Not people black people concern themselves about. :cmonson:

I don't live in a "Black World". I live in "The World". In short, I'm not separating people out based on color or dehumanizing people based on the same. I don't like it when it's done to me so I'm not doing it. Besides this thread is really about Pop Culture and each person's life experience. Therefore your statement is invalid. Who are you to say what any black person should be concerned with? Barney Fife of the Soul Patrol?

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
Surprised no one mentioned OJ. That one shocked the country, especially when you consider how straight laced OJ was. He toed the line perfectly. It would be the equivalent of Tom Brady killing his wife today, IMO.

lowlite

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought about this earlier and for me, I'd have to rank it Top 5. In order, I'd have to say:

- September 11th attack. (I doubt this will ever be trumped).
- Barack Obama becoming the first AA President of the US.
- Tyson getting upset in Tokyo (not the same impact, but definitely unexpected)
- Michael Jackson's death
- Kobe's death

Sad situation all around, when you consider he was on an amazing path in part II of his life. Even sadder that it included his daughter and 7 others as well. Love your people, brothers. You never know how much time is actually left.

RIP Mamba.
Top 20, near the bottom. (Im old) In sports, #2 to Lynn Bias. (sp?)