Where would you rank Kobe's death among the shocking moments of your lifetime?

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
I thought about this earlier and for me, I'd have to rank it Top 5. In order, I'd have to say:

- September 11th attack. (I doubt this will ever be trumped).
- Barack Obama becoming the first AA President of the US.
- Tyson getting upset in Tokyo (not the same impact, but definitely unexpected)
- Michael Jackson's death
- Kobe's death

Sad situation all around, when you consider he was on an amazing path in part II of his life. Even sadder that it included his daughter and 7 others as well. Love your people, brothers. You never know how much time is actually left.

RIP Mamba.

husband73

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought about this earlier and for me, I'd have to rank it Top 5. In order, I'd have to say:

- September 11th attack. (I doubt this will ever be trumped).
- Barack Obama becoming the first AA President of the US.
- Tyson getting upset in Tokyo (not the same impact, but definitely unexpected)
- Michael Jackson's death
- Kobe's death

Sad situation all around, when you consider he was on an amazing path in part II of his life. Even sadder that it included his daughter and 7 others as well. Love your people, brothers. You never know how much time is actually left.

RIP Mamba.
No Prince death come to mind? That was huge also

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
its probably #1 for me because Gigi went down with him...thats what makes it super fucked up

mikes death was #1 until yesterday but i knew mike was on drugs and shit...
princes death fucked me up but for some reason it didnt hit hard like this
sept 11 was bugged out but id put hurricane katrina over it.
i knew whoever won the democratic primary was president...so i wasnt that surprised by O

yeah kobe is #1 for me

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
as far as celebrities go

prince
biggie
Tyson loss
Kobe
MJ

MJ is a distant 5 somehow I wasn't shocked

and Pac didn't surprise me at all

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's sad but I can't rank it,I know it's no where near Micheal Jackson's,2pac, Prince's,biggie or James Brown's death,it's just one of those things but it's not no way as low as when Elvis left the building either.But it's not Rodney King either lol

Curtwalk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1. 9-11
2. Space shuttle Challenger (80's)
3. World Series Earthquake
4. Rodney King Riots
5. OJ in the Bronco
6. Okc bombing
7. Hurricane Katrina

8. Trump becomes President
9. Jerry Jones buys Cowboys.... fires Tom Landry on live TV.

Last edited:

Mr. Met

So Amazin
BGOL Investor
1. Space Shuttle tragedy - the teacher informed the class in a non chalant way like ‘ it happened so fast, they felt nothing’. I went home like, he was probably right
2. Jam Master Jay murder - right down the block from the Jamaica’s main bus terminal. Who’d a thunk it.
3. September 11 - never forget walking from Harlem to Canal Street ( cut off point ) and seeing all the people covered in dust and smoke walking home. Like a horror flick
4. Oklahoma City bombing - people stopped work for that one
5. Pac and Biggie deaths - total disbelief, especially Pac who got shot a few times before
6. Tyson KO - we rewund that VHS tape over maybe 1000Xs and still couldn’t believe it

Last edited:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Don't forget about Aaliyah's death too. That shit was crazy.

MZDg0S.jpg

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I never cried over anyone I never met before until yesterday

Whitney, Mike, Prince, Tupac, Biggie, Nipsey, Phife, Guru....and I loved Prince

So non family or friend related, this was number one

Barack was number two

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Things that happened in a moment (no days; instant passing):

-9/11
-Kobe
-Michael Jackson
-Biggie
-Branch Davidians (Waco)
-Aaliyah
-Hank Gathers (dude was KILLING it that season before collapsing and dying)
-Sandy Hook
-Challenger

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
Lets compare deaths, what a classy thread.

I agree, I hate that we always feel the need to rank everything.

When I saw Kobe died, I was equally as fucked up about it as when I found out Nipsey got killed.
When I found out Dylan Roof shot up a church full of black elders, I was equally as fucked up about it as when I saw George Zimmerman walk free for killing Trayvon Martin.
Within hours of finding out Prince died, that same day, before I could even process that, I found out that my father was about to die.

Fucked up is fucked up, ain't no comparing that shit, IMO.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Kobe death is shocking, but it doesn’t rank high with me.

The earliest thing I can remember that was shocking was the assasination attempt on Pres. Ronald Reagan.

I was 10 Years old. I just got home from school and had no homework. I turned the TV to ABC to watch the ABC after school special.

They cut into it before it began to announce the assination attempt.

I remember ABC anchor Frank Reynolds having a breakdown live on air because Info was coming in unreliable on Reagan’s status and who was actually filling in as President cuz mofos completely ignored the Constitution and everybody was claiming to be President.

It was interesting cuz my teacher a few weeks earlier went over with us the US Constitution and chain of command.

Shit was pretty wild.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
Kobe death is shocking, but it doesn’t rank high with me.

The earliest thing I can remember that was shocking was the assasination attempt on Pres. Ronald Reagan.

I was 10 Years old. I just got home from school and had no homework. I turned the TV to ABC to watch the ABC after school special.

They cut into it before it began to announce the assination attempt.

I remember ABC anchor Frank Reynolds having a breakdown live on air because Info was coming in unreliable on Reagan’s status and who was actually filling in as President cuz mofos completely ignored the Constitution and everybody was claiming to be President.

It was interesting cuz my teacher a few weeks earlier went over with us the US Constitution and chain of command.

Shit was pretty wild.
Unfortunately it was unsuccessful... Imagine if the internet was around when MLK, Malcolm X and President Kennedy was assassinated

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kobe's death isn't as much of a shock to me as it seems to be a cosmic injustice. I guess when you get to a certain age and you have experienced the death of loved ones and others close to you not to mention celebrities it doesn't hit you the same way. My shock turned into sorrow for his family.

1) Len Bias - This was huge in my neck of the woods. We were nearly the same age. He had so much in front of him.
2) John Lennon - So fucking stupid. Chalk another death up to Crazy.
3) Elvis Presley - Nobody saw that coming although the signs were there. He had just a concert in Baltimore where he was grossly out of shape, mumbled or flat out forgot lyrics and disappeared off stage for around 30 min before returning and blaming it on Nature calling or twisting his ankle or some other Bullshit. He would drop dead trying to drop the kids off at the pool less than 3 months later.
4) That Merkel Kid - Not a celebrity but a Boy I knew growing up who hung himself. His mom was a crossing guard assigned to the intersection right in front of my door. The Kid hung himself because wouldn't let him go or give him money to go to a local school bazaar. That was a shock and its one I still remember over 4 decades later. It was the 1st time a kid I knew and saw almost every day died.
5) Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion- Being a big fan of the Space Program this was a shock. I was working in a department store and I immediately went to the Electronics department to see what happened. I remember co-workers trying to come up with elaborate scenarios under which the astronauts may have survived.
6) MLK's Mom - Some nut shot this poor woman in the church as she played the organ. I was a kid when this happened. Not many people remember that one but I have never really forgotten it. Chalk another one up to crazy.
7) 9/11 - Watched it unfold on TV as I got ready for work. Shock quickly turned to anger.

8) Space Shuttle Columbia - I was on my way to class when the news broke on that one.

9) Michael Jackson - How did we not see this coming. That took a while to really sink in. It didn't seem real until that night after I got home from work.

10) Prince - Pulling out of my driveway going to work and I heard a local sports talk host announce his death being reported on Twitter. I thought here is more Internet Bullshit. I was about two miles from home when it was confirmed by other news agencies.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Aaliyah really sucked cause I literally saw her 2 weeks prior to her death and had a convo... What was crazy 1 of my homegirl was a background dancer for her and use to joke and tell aaliyah how much I liked her... When she died it was crazyyy wack, what's crazier my homegirl was suppose to be on that flight to but due to weight capacity my homegirl and other dancers had to get on separate flight(saved their life)

911 was trapped in nj.. Actually heard the fighter jets flying above us later on (scary shit)... Than cops pulled over mysterious van that they thought might had explosive and was headed to bridge... Where I was you could see cops surrounding the van gun up.. I was like yeah time to get me the fuck out of nj.. If imma die it better be on ny soil... Still mad I left vidcam home that day cause where I was had the perfect angle to see towers.. Saw them burning, than seen when only 1 was standing than none... What was crazy both times I had to tell everyone hey guys you noticed it's only 1 tower left? Hey guys it's no towers standing?

biggie and princess Diana I was at my boy crib both times playing vidgames.. When switching games saw the headline roll across the screen

Mj I was running my store front at time when somebody came in and told metime

Kobe bro text me while I was with joint

Sept 11 I went through it, aaliyah juss saw her so that prob tops

More shocking is news talking about criminals or crimes where you personally know the criminal or the victim.. That's a whole diff thread.. "Oh that Nig was a serial killer interesting"

madgoose

International
International Member
Not in any order,
Yep Princess Di was a bit of a number (as in numb!),
9/11, I was in Australia away from all family and friends, thought I would be on "the safe side of the world" when WW3 broke out, sat watching the TV for like 30 minutes thinking "what fucking film is this at 9am?
7/7 London bombings, was working in the city that day and ended up walking about 7 miles to get home public transport shut down, still had some weed with me so me and my mate just bopped it home,
day my mum phoned me to tell me my grandmother had had a stroke, i knew she was not coming out of that hospital alive and she passed a week later RIP Nan still miss you XXX,
the woman that taught how to properly fuck a woman dying at 44 from cancer and not being able to attend her funeral.

Last edited:

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kobe's death isn't as much of a shock to me as it seems to be a cosmic injustice. I guess when you get to a certain age and you have experienced the death of loved ones and others close to you not to mention celebrities it doesn't hit you the same way. My shock turned into sorrow for his family.

1) Len Bias - This was huge in my neck of the woods. We were nearly the same age. He had so much in front of him.
3) Elvis Presley - Nobody saw that coming although the signs were there. He had just a concert in Baltimore where he was grossly out of shape, mumbled or flat out forgot lyrics and disappeared off stage for around 30 min before returning and blaming it on Nature calling or twisting his ankle or some other Bullshit. He would drop dead trying to drop the kids off at the pool less than 3 months later.
4) That Merkel Kid - Not a celebrity but a Boy I knew growing up who hung himself. His mom was a crossing guard assigned to the intersection right in front of my door. The Kid hung himself because wouldn't let him go or give him money to go to a local school bazaar. That was a shock and its one I still remember over 4 decades later. It was the 1st time a kid I knew and saw almost every day died.
5) Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion- Being a big fan of the Space Program this was a shock. I was working in a department store and I immediately went to the Electronics department to see what happened. I remember co-workers trying to come up with elaborate scenarios under which the astronauts may have survived.
6) MLK's Mom - Some nut shot this poor woman in the church as she played the organ. I was a kid when this happened. Not many people remember that one but I have never really forgotten it. Chalk another one up to crazy.
7) 9/11 - Watched it unfold on TV as I got ready for work. Shock quickly turned to anger.

8) Space Shuttle Columbia - I was on my way to class when the news broke on that one.

9) Michael Jackson - How did we not see this coming. That took a while to really sink in. It didn't seem real until that night after I got home from work.

10) Prince - Pulling out of my driveway going to work and I heard a local sports talk host announce his death being reported on Twitter. I thought here is more Internet Bullshit. I was about two miles from home when it was confirmed by other news agencies.
Nigga did u just put Elvis death above MJ and prince :hmm: :smh: .......

HeathCliff

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can't call this one. It was pretty huge but I don't know where on the scale it ranks with regards to shock. But one thing with me living in L.A. now and we just seen Kobe the other day, shit seems surreal. I barely got any sleep last night and the last time I felt this strong was 2009.

We all thought Pac was going to recover and come out with another diss track, so when he died it was pretty shocking
I was on my way to church listening to the radio when I caught the news of Biggie, I wasn't that messed up. Pac's death desensitized me.
Marvin Gaye. I was 4 at the time, couldn't believe the dude I heard on the radio was dead, "I just heard him on the radio!!!"
Mike was out of the lime light for a while so his death affected the childhood in me, took me a while to believe he was gone.
9-11 was pretty fucked up.
Prince, I wasn't that surprised because previously before that they had to do an emergency landing for a flight he was on.

55th View

Rising Star
Registered

This one slipped me. I was in 3rd grade and it was a big deal for schools b/c Christa McAuliffe was gong to be the first teacher in space. It happened and they held that TV out of the hall and rushed us all back to class. Excellent response. This definitely has to go in my top 5.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1. 9/11
2. Kobe's death ( Felt like someone in my family died. Never felt like that before)
3. Space shuttle blowing up back in '86. My school actually dismissed school that day. I cried about that one.
4. 2PAC's death was fucked up. I always thought he would be a leader in the community as he got older.

Probably some other events, but that's what came to me off the top.

Good thread topic