Whats so great about Barack Obama?

SAFOOL

Star
Registered
Just started listening to the Obama book that's been posted here on BGOL. So far I'm very disappointed. My question is does Obama continue talking out both sides of his mouth or do does he take a firm stand. (example he talks about how bad racism is then how racism is an excuse, how we are to anti-war or to pro-war and so on.) I'll finish the audio book this weekend but I really want to know why people say they love him so much. :confused:

Strait_Laced

knowledge alone ≠ power
OG Investor
is there a better presidential candidate to choose from amongst those other mediocre choices :confused:

Profit

Rising Star
Registered
To me, the guy is as straightforward as a politician at his level of exposure can be. He talks of the parties working together to get things accomplished as opposed to the finger pointing that has been going on for so long. Whether he can do it or not remains to be seen.

As far as the double talk you mentioned...He is anti-war but says pulling out with no plan is bad for the US - I agree. He says racism is a factor but sometimes the victim card is overplayed - I agree. I think he does a good job at viewing things from multiple perspectives. What he does with that knowlegde is what will I'll judge him by if hes given the chance.

For me, its not how great Obama is, rather it is how much better he appears than his competetion. I usually don't like any candidate and vote for the lesser evil. I actually like this guy and want to vote.

Lastly, I know full well that he will not be supportive of the issues in the hood in the manner that I'd like to see. That being said, he'll probably do a much better job than any white candidate.

SAFOOL

Star
Registered
Dennis Kucinich seemed to be willing to say what needed to be said last time around.

How much compromise is too much compromise? IMO Some issues require a firm stand and leadership to get others to come around to your side. The gop didn't compromise away their beliefs instead they rolled over the dems. Bush got his judges his war and everything else he wanted because enough dems wouldn't stand up. Hell Hilary wont even admit she was wrong on Iraq. I bet at least 50% of the dems voted for the war not because they believed in it but because they lacked the courage to stand up, elections be damned.

Last edited:

Erebus

Star
Registered
Profit said:
To me, the guy is as straightforward as a politician at his level of exposure can be. He talks of the parties working together to get things accomplished as opposed to the finger pointing that has been going on for so long. Whether he can do it or not remains to be seen.

As far as the double talk you mentioned...He is anti-war but says pulling out with no plan is bad for the US - I agree. He says racism is a factor but sometimes the victim card is overplayed - I agree. I think he does a good job at viewing things from multiple perspectives. What he does with that knowlegde is what will I'll judge him by if hes given the chance.

For me, its not how great Obama is, rather it is how much better he appears than his competetion. I usually don't like any candidate and vote for the lesser evil. I actually like this guy and want to vote.

Lastly, I know full well that he will not be supportive of the issues in the hood in the manner that I'd like to see. That being said, he'll probably do a much better job than any white candidate.

I pretty much agreed with everything he said and more importantly, he's not Hilliary Clinton! I just do not trust or have any faith in that woman!

SAFOOL

Star
Registered
I have to wait for the debates (lets hope they are real debates) to decide but I'm sure anyone I might like will be marginalized by the press & the party.

smiffnwessun

Star
Registered
I've Read both of his books I'm going to listen to the audio book this weekend too. My take on it is that he has a refreshing and honest approach about his campaign, lets be honest there is no bright line answer or solution to some of the very multidimensional problems in America today. I think his appeal come's from his refreshing honesty a sense of vulnerability coupled with a courage that is truly remarkable. If he promised you straight up that he would do something I don't think it would be fair when if something else popped up and if he had to change his position then all of a sudden everyone is screaming hypocrisy.

The guy is a straight shooter straight from the hip talker, at this level of politics transparency is very rare. At the beginning of the book he gives a disclaimer that the book is only some thoughts on reclaiming the america he love's so much, so he is a work in progress as well.

You can count on him on certain issues that he has made clear, he is pro-abortion, against gay marriage but for civil unions, wants the troops out of Iraq as soon as possible, and he wants to provide healthcare for every american family. You cant be mad at his stance on those issues.

Jakesnake

Potential Star
Registered
If you listening to his book then you should see that Obama is more straight forward than any of the other candidates.

Hillary has been on a mission from the time that Bill was first elected in 92.

Plus I've had a chance to work several Secret Service support missions where she was the protectee. She is not a person who is easy to get along with. Both she and Bill abused their protectors.

John Edwards lost my support by not forcing the issue with John Kerry on the last election. He punked out.

modified

Rising Star
Registered
SAFOOL said:
I have to wait for the debates (lets hope they are real debates) to decide but I'm sure anyone I might like will be marginalized by the press & the party.

Yeah I'd like to watch some of the debates myself to see if there are any major differences in philosophy. I just hope all the important issues are covered in the debate ie ss, jobs, housing, regulation, energy, war etc. Hillary reminds me too much of that twisted woman president on prison break :smh:

Rembrandt

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Right now i like John Edwards again i think maybe he and obama should team up. But i also liked what i heard of Joe Biden from delaware but he seems to have disappeared suddenly. he at least had a plan for Iraq.

ajc921

Star
Registered
SAFOOL said:
Just started listening to the Obama book that's been posted here on BGOL. So far I'm very disappointed. My question is does Obama continue talking out both sides of his mouth or do does he take a firm stand. (example he talks about how bad racism is then how racism is an excuse, how we are to anti-war or to pro-war and so on.) I'll finish the audio book this weekend but I really want to know why people say they love him so much. :confused:
what's so good about hillary? just because she fuckkin bill? to be honest w/ ya i would like to see al gore get back in it. barack and hillary are talkin out both sides of there mouths and it's get annoying....

Bigmario23

Star
Registered
SAFOOL said:

Ok...The debates should be interesting. I was a political fundraiser
on Capitol Hill in the mid to late 90's and I seen all the behind the
scenes bullshit. My supervisior knew I was good @ sweet talking their upper
crust donors into commiting large dollar amouts by phone. He would walk the office with a stack of 50's and 100's. And break me off cold hard cash!!!
One day I damn near walked out the office with $1,000 dollars in pocket.
I was making more then some of the hustlers from my block.

The more I brought in, the more I would get under the table not including my check which was not bad for a 19 year old. Man these campagins is all about money .........we the people fall in somewhere down the line :lol: