US eliminates coveted 5-year tourist visa for Cubans

Esther

Rising Star
OG Investor
https://news.yahoo.com/us-eliminates-coveted-5-tourist-visa-cubans-231106768.html

HAVANA (AP) — The U.S. State Department said Friday that it is eliminating a coveted five-year tourist visa for Cubans, dealing a heavy blow to entrepreneurs and Cuban members of divided families, who used the visas to see relatives in the United States and buy precious supplies for their businesses on the island.

The elimination of the visa cuts a vital link between the U.S. and Cuba by forcing Cubans to make a costly and complicated trip to a third country like Mexico or Panama every single time they want to visit the U.S. That's because the U.S. withdrew most of its non-essential diplomatic staff from Havana in September 2017 and stopped issuing visas of almost any type in Cuba.

"This affects every Cuban but especially entrepreneurs who have to travel to get products that don't exist here," said Niuris Higueras, who brings salt, hand towels, candles and other products from the U.S. for her restaurant Atelier, one of Havana's most successful private eateries.
Until now, Cubans who saved the money and mastered the complexities of successfully applying for a visa in a third country would receive a visa eliminating the need to apply again for another five years. That possibility will disappear on March 18 when the B2 visa will only allow a single entry for a three-month stay, Mara Tekach, the U.S. Embassy's charge d'affaires, said in a video posted on Facebook Friday.

Tekach said the change was due to the need to achieve reciprocity between the visa rules of the U.S. and Cuba, which issues Americans single-entry tourist visas allowing a stay of up to three months.

However, the Cuban visa application process is a formality, with airlines and travel agencies authorized to hand out visas to anyone who requests one and pays $50 as part of the purchase of an airline ticket or travel package. Cubans must pay $160, plus airfare and hotel costs in a third country, often to see their visa application swiftly rejected.

"Invoking reciprocity here is beyond insulting," said Michael Bustamante, an assistant professor of Latin American History at Florida International University and an expert on contemporary Cuba who advocates for closer bilateral relations. "The announcement today will come as a real blow to many Cubans, only the latest of the Trump policy years."

The seemingly obscure change in visa rules in fact is one of the harshest measures against Cuba taken by the Trump administration because of the effect it will have on the informal supply chain for the communist-run island's small but vibrant private sector. Virtually all of the supplies used by Cuban entrepreneurs from barbers to restaurant owners are either stolen from state enterprises or brought in suitcases from capitalist countries by business owners or "mules," couriers with visas who are paid to haul in the hundreds of varieties of products unavailable in Cuba's stagnant, centrally planned economy.

The U.S. five-year visa not only allowed frequent trips to Miami, Latin American countries such as Mexico would allow Cubans with the U.S. visa to enter automatically.

"This is going to limit me a lot," said Vanesa Pino, owner of the Sweet Details bakery in Havana. She uses her five-year visa to travel once a month to the United States to buy ingredients such as food coloring, decorating tools and sugar for icing. "It doesn't make sense to go to a third country to get a single-entry visa. You can make that effort if the investment then lets you make a lot of trips.

"In my case, in addition to bringing supplies, I would go several times a year to pastry-making fairs, see new products and techniques, and now that's not going to be so easy."

Her visa expires next year.

clitsational

Rising Star
Platinum Member
some latino houseworker must fucked trump the koch brothers and the rest of these entitled cac financiers

this hate is pathological

:cool:

fourthstbully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's the protocol for traveling to cuba?
I went right before Obama left office. All I did was buy a plane ticket. Before you leave the airport, you have to fill out a declaration form saying your reason for travel. They have a bunch of options, humanitarian, religious, journalism etc. And I think before I flew I got a tourist visa online. It was simple.
My aunt went a few months ago with no problems. I think it's still an easy place to visit.

Esther

Rising Star
OG Investor
I went right before Obama left office. All I did was buy a plane ticket. Before you leave the airport, you have to fill out a declaration form saying your reason for travel. They have a bunch of options, humanitarian, religious, journalism etc. And I think before I flew I got a tourist visa online. It was simple.
My aunt went a few months ago with no problems. I think it's still an easy place to visit.

What is their to do there?

Last edited:

fourthstbully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What is their to do there?
I walked around Old Havana alot. Took pictures. Ate at different spots. Smoked alot of cigars. Hit the clubs at night. Went to the beach one day, that's about 30 minutes away. Chill on the Malecon. Talk to the people and just soak up the culture. I had fun. Luckily I met a dude the first night that put me on to spots I would not have found on my own.
Island is primarily black and the people were very nice.

Esther

Rising Star
OG Investor
I walked around Old Havana alot. Took pictures. Ate at different spots. Smoked alot of cigars. Hit the clubs at night. Went to the beach one day, that's about 30 minutes away. Chill on the Malecon. Talk to the people and just soak up the culture. I had fun. Luckily I met a dude the first night that put me on to spots I would not have found on my own.
Island is primarily black and the people were very nice.

I’ve been doing some research and I’m guessing it’s not many places to shop, am I right? I asked what you did because it seems like it’s nothing much to do but eat, lay out on the beach and take pics. Usually when I travel I go the museums and bike ride but it doesn’t seem like they have much of that.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
I think Carnival still has a cruise that stays overnight in Cuba.

prose00

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

whats the prostitute culture like in Cuba? Is it bustling like Brazil & DR, or stagnant/regulated due to it being a communist state??

fourthstbully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
whats the prostitute culture like in Cuba? Is it bustling like Brazil & DR, or stagnant/regulated due to it being a communist state??
Nah, it's not wide open but it's there for sure. Prostitutes work the clubs and bars for sure. And I heard of a few party houses where it's a bunch of broads. My man told me there was a big problem with girls quitting school to fuck tourists.

dHustla

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's the protocol for traveling to cuba?
Just buy a ticket.

I flew straight flight from ATL to Havana on Delta. It was cheap too.

Like @fourthstbully said, you have to complete a declaration form, it has about 20 different options for reason for your visit, I chose the 4th from the top. I dont remember what it was, I'll look it up.

There is a rich culture, and practically NO CRIME, which surprised me. Street art is everywhere, they eat a lot of pork (which I don't eat), beach is close, monuments everywhere, the city of Havana is over 500 years old, there are full day excursions you can go on (Fiñales is one).

Malecon was cool, I walked a lot, too. On the weekend there are street vendors & artists on Paseo De Marti, it's like a boardwalk.

Take enough cash!!!
And don't exchange money at the airport, its too expensive. They charge an extra 10% to exchange the USD over any other currency. My buddy E.J. was smart and exchanged his U.S. dollars for Canadian dollars before flying, then exchanged the Canadian dollars to the CUCs.

NO CARDS WORK!!!
Don't expect to use any form of plastic debit/credit card associated with any U.S. bank or an allied country of the U.S. No cards work over there, not even online.

No cell coverage either. Everyone uses state sponsored wifi in designated spots, you have to buy a wifi card with 2 codes to type in, similar to a calling card. And the shit is sllooowww.

Make reservations for tours, excursions, etc. before leaving states and just be on time. Plan to not be connected for your trip, just relax and hang out.

I took some pics and videos while there. What's a good host to upload to?

Last edited:

fourthstbully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’ve been doing some research and I’m guessing it’s not many places to shop, am I right? I asked what you did because it seems like it’s nothing much to do but eat, lay out on the beach and take pics. Usually when I travel I go the museums and bike ride but it doesn’t seem like they have much of that.
Probably not the best place to ride bikes because old city is super crowded, and the streets are kinda rocky, however, there could be decent places if you have like an all terrain bike.
They have a few museums and art galleries, but probably nothing to keep your attention for long, but I could be wrong. The museum of the revolution looked kinda dope, if you like war shit, like tanks and airplanes.
I felt the restaurants we're just ok. Nothing great. But I did eat at a couple of locals houses, and that food was great.
I would recommend a three day visit. If you like it, you can always go back. If not, three days won't kill you.