TV SHOWS / SERIES - Seen any good ones lately? Please feel free to post reviews / feedback / trailers / articles / TV news / all that shit ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I finished Lupin. It was good and I look forward to see how the next season works out. That book reminds me of the Umbrella Academy patriarch.
Even though Omar is the size of an NFL tight end, the show still worked for me.

I also finished up The Spymasters and then binged Tribes of Europa. Europa seems to combine three storylines from any of your favorite dystopian tropes into one series.
Combine Mad Max, The Hunger Games, The Planet of the Apes original, or Escape From New York, for instance. Pick three and pour them into a blender.
There was a lot that made me :yawn::wakeup: because there seemed to lack much originality, but I watched it all the way through waiting on some twist that the German production would add.

It's not a bad watch and has some entertaining parts in a lot of the episodes, but you won't see much that you haven't already seen elsewhere.

Glad you liked Lupin & gonna be interesting to see how the 2nd half of season 1 plays out this year. Thanks for the recommendations re: the additional series too. I still need to see Umbrella Academy.

Just started The Serpent yesterday. Enjoying it so far ... like fam' noted earlier in the thread ... good to see it have the Netflix backing now to gain a wider audience ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
One Night In Miami was very good.

98 & 83% aggregate review scores on RT.

:cheers:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Succession

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Dealer

8/10

This is a new series that just debuted on Netflix this week.

It is a "Found Footage" type series. It is a crime drama series

What makes it unique is that in prior movies, this format has been done as horror, supernatural of Sci-Fi.

I will say when you watch it, you will feel kind of lost, you just have to remember it is a found footage series, so its not gonna play out like a standard series format that you are accustomed to. I felt that way a few times and had to rewind a couple of times. There are reminders thru-out to remind you on how its filmed and the main character's actions.

There is only 10 episodes that have a average time length of 10 minutes. It's basically a movie cut down to 10 short episodes.

The series goes right into the story. There is no character or story development which makes it stand out and flow quickly.

There is a shoot-em-up scene in episode 9 that is done in a first person style that is done well. It has a similar flow to "Hardcore Henry", except it is not done in a humorous way. The scene is too short and it should have been the whole 10 minute episode. Episode 9 and 10 is where it picks up in action.

The series is from France and Netflix has it dubbed in English.

Synopsis

Franck, a music video director, infiltrates a rough neighborhood in the South of France to film Tony, a charismatic but unpredictable drug gang leader wanting to break into the rap music scene. Using his camera to reveal the hidden, true face of drug dealing, Franck will get caught in a bloody gang war. A fast paced found footage thriller.

latest

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
good looking on the review, i was going to check this out and it was weird to me to see how each ep was like 9-11 mins but now makes sense with your breakdown

Dealer

8/10

What makes it unique is that in prior movies, this format has been done as horror, supernatural of Sci-Fi.

I will say when you watch it, you will feel kind of lost, you just have to remember it is a found footage series, so its not gonna play out like a standard series format that you are accustomed to. I felt that way a few times and had to rewind a couple of times. There are reminders thru-out to remind you on how its filmed and the main character's actions.

There is only 10 episodes that have a average time length of 10 minutes. It's basically a movie cut down to 10 short episodes.

The series goes right into the story. There is no character or story development which makes it stand out and flow quickly.

There is a shoot-em-up scene in episode 9 that is done in a first person style that is done well. It has a similar flow to "Hardcore Henry", except it is not done in a humorous way. The scene is too short and it should have been the whole 10 minute episode. Episode 9 and 10 is where it picks up in action.

Synopsis

Franck, a music video director, infiltrates a rough neighborhood in the South of France to film Tony, a charismatic but unpredictable drug gang leader wanting to break into the rap music scene. Using his camera to reveal the hidden, true face of drug dealing, Franck will get caught in a bloody gang war. A fast paced found footage thriller.

latest

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I suggest you guys pass on Indias version of House of Cards...I didn't like it

But....

SACRED GAMES.... that a different ball game considering I vividly remember the Bombay bombings of the 90's and just started season 2 on Netflix

I strongly recommend SACRED GAMES.

Once done with India will probably move to Korea and Japan hopefully they will have decent shows worth watching.

jremi

Rising Star
Registered
2a7zSvcEbUdbUgY1CXs5vFgxJkrfhx50.jpg

I held off watching this for a while. I was expecting another white washed, bland and contrived version of history...boy was I wrong.

They completely turned the story of John Brown on its ear and made it an action-comedy. In my opinion they did this quite successfully without being disrespectful to the weighty subject at hand; that of slavery and emancipation. Instead of making John Brown an uber serious, uber religious, puritanical fanatic, they instead recasted him as coo-coo for coco puffs crazy, uber religious and a fanatic for the freedom of others.

Ethan Hawke put his foot in the role of Brown and there wasn't a single episode when I didn't laugh out loud at something. High marks all around.

Last edited:

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dealer

8/10

Synopsis

latest

Thanks, bout to add it. I enjoyed Hardcore Henry eventhough it got a lot of hate.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Thanks for the new reviews, everyone.

Looking forward to watching more of Peaky Blinders and The Serpent in the weeks ahead.

And of course seasons 2 of City on a Hill (March 28th) and Godfather of Harlem (April 18th).

Looking forward to the eventual return of Yellowstone for season 4. The first 3 seasons have all been released between June 19th - 21st ... so keep an eye out for the summer stretch ...

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Finished binging Dealer last night, easy binge like @blackbull1970 said since the eps are like between 8-14 mins each for 10 eps. Enjoyed the camera work and being that I've spent time in the Paris Banlieues in Sevran with my ppls etc. i always enjoy these shows/movies that portray banlieue life like Les Miserables and Banlieusards being 2 recent ones.

For the rest of March, I'm probably going to start "The Lost Pirate Kingdom" on netflix since I'm obsessed with golden age of piracy period in history and Black Sails was a top 10 all time show of mine so i'm hoping this will be a good docuseries on that era. The other netflix series for March i'm thinking of checking out is "The One" starring Hannah Ware who was on Boss on Starz back then. Then, I got Mayans MC coming back on Tuesday, Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Friday and Invincible the Friday after. Thats on top of the weekly shows I'm watching with Snowfall, shameless, Batwoman, the flash, TWD, All American, Big Sky. SMH at myself for still watching the flash and TWD but i just can't cut shows off once i'm deep into the series and not finish them

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Finished binging Dealer last night, easy binge like @blackbull1970 said since the eps are like between 8-14 mins each for 10 eps. Enjoyed the camera work and being that I've spent time in the Paris Banlieues in Sevran with my ppls etc. i always enjoy these shows/movies that portray banlieue life like Les Miserables and Banlieusards being 2 recent ones.

For the rest of March, I'm probably going to start "The Lost Pirate Kingdom" on netflix since I'm obsessed with golden age of piracy period in history and Black Sails was a top 10 all time show of mine so i'm hoping this will be a good docuseries on that era. The other netflix series for March i'm thinking of checking out is "The One" starring Hannah Ware who was on Boss on Starz back then. Then, I got Mayans MC coming back on Tuesday, Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Friday and Invincible the Friday after. Thats on top of the weekly shows I'm watching with Snowfall, shameless, Batwoman, the flash, TWD, All American, Big Sky. SMH at myself for still watching the flash and TWD but i just can't cut shows off once i'm deep into the series and not finish them

:thumbsup: :cheers:

Good choices and mix of series.

How has the current season of TWD been? Have the eps on the dvr, but haven't checked them out yet.

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Godless ...

9b9b47e3f15e4a037458ab17c6ef6500.jpg

Notorious criminal Frank Griffin and his gang of outlaws are on a mission of revenge against Roy Goode, a son-like protégé who betrayed the brotherhood. While on the run, Roy seeks refuge with hardened widower Alice Fletcher, an outcast herself, in a worn-down, isolated mining town of La Belle, NM — governed mainly by women. When word reaches La Belle that Griffin is headed their way, the town bands together to defend against the murderous gang in a lawless western frontier.

dam ...i might fuck with this ...:gun06:

it`s not new so a few of y`all might have seen it ...

i just saw it posted in my plug so now i`m hip ...:yes:

short too only 7 eps ...any reviews ...?

:cool:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Godless ...

9b9b47e3f15e4a037458ab17c6ef6500.jpg

Notorious criminal Frank Griffin and his gang of outlaws are on a mission of revenge against Roy Goode, a son-like protégé who betrayed the brotherhood. While on the run, Roy seeks refuge with hardened widower Alice Fletcher, an outcast herself, in a worn-down, isolated mining town of La Belle, NM — governed mainly by women. When word reaches La Belle that Griffin is headed their way, the town bands together to defend against the murderous gang in a lawless western frontier.

dam ...i might fuck with this ...:gun06:

it`s not new so a few of y`all might have seen it ...

i just saw it posted in my plug so now i`m hip ...:yes:

short too only 7 eps ...any reviews ...?

:cool:

It's really good ... we enjoyed this one. You'll recognize a number of the cast from their other recent projects. Easy to watch too at 7 episodes.

Scoot McNairy always picks up good roles. Six Feet Under, The Shield, Fargo, Godless, True Detective, Narcos: Mexico ...

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
check the trap if u need this one ... :cheers:

e7f2d59538a0d44c0b8fdabf0bd7d769.jpg

From executive producers Joe & Anthony Russo (AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR and AVENGERS: END GAME), comes a coming of age story unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Set against the backdrop of late 80’s counter culture, DEADLY CLASS follows a disillusioned teen recruited into a storied academy for assassins. Maintaining his moral code while navigating a ruthless curriculum, vicious social cliques, and his own adolescent uncertainties may prove fatal. DEADLY CLASS is based on the smash hit comic series of the same name by Rick Remender.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Talked to my mom the other day, and asked her what they've been watching in recent months. She noted:

- The Investigation
- Los Espookys
- Voices of Fire
- Mr. Mayor
- The Handmaid's Tale
- Silicon Valley