TV SHOWS / SERIES - Seen any good ones lately? Please feel free to post reviews / feedback / trailers / articles / TV news / all that shit ...

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In recent weeks ...

- All caught up with Lupin and The Challenge
- Been checking out Young Rock and Kenan
- Early into the 4th season of Peaky Blinders
- Finished Wandavision
- Going to start Gangs of London and The Serpent in the near future

- As far as movies ... Nomadland and Coming 2 America

The Challenge as in the MTV Series?

Lupin was great.

I'm not a sitcom guy...I enjoy Kenan and The Rock though. Young Rock is great to me. Kenan ain't bad either.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Shit at this point man I expect all these shows to be one and done unless they are a spin-off of Law and Order or a medical series. Nothing stands a chance on network TV it seems.

And Networks are afraid to even venture out like cable networks have the ability to do.

Finished this on Hulu. Very well done. I'm shocked FX did a series like this. Not because they are scared too....I'm just shocked they green lit a series starring Bimmie, Big U, Deb Antey, Trick Trick and Haitian Jack.

I'll be honest I don't even know what this shit is about. Is it that if it wasn't for the streets there'd be no Hip Hop? Good nonetheless.

He has. Seems to fair alright on other networks for some reason. Maybe because NBC decides to have him headline shit.

I ain't gonna lie though I'm still kind of mad Black Donnelly's got cancelled. That shit had potential. Had they took that shit to HBO it would've lasted longer.

Very good actor (Tucker). He was good on season 1 of City on a Hill (Showtime) last year as well.

Glad you enjoyed Hip Hop Uncovered too. I need to see the rest of the episodes.

Yes - one of the best things about getting on series late (for any BGOL fam' member) is they know it's established and well-reviewed. BGOL fam' will let you know what's worth seeing, and what's worth avoiding.

Yes ... network TV is a complete challenge. Things get canned way too quickly based off of ratings, ad dollars, etc. Too many choices and options these days with specialty cable & streamers. The hosts of The Watch podcast were joking the other day that even as professional reviewers it's way too difficult to keep up with everything these days. Pretty much impossible. Plus ... network TV can't push the boundaries like other platforms can (language, nudity, violence, etc). They have to play it safe and relatively PC. Plus their seasonal runs are too long. People would rather tune into 5 - 12 episode seasons ... compared to the old days of 20 - 24 ep' primetime shows.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
now that netflix picked up the serpent i expect more ppl to see how good it is

That's great to hear. I should mention that to my mom as she wasn't sure when she would be able to check it out.

The Challenge as in the MTV Series?

Lupin was great.

I'm not a sitcom guy...I enjoy Kenan and The Rock though. Young Rock is great to me. Kenan ain't bad either.

Yes - really enjoyed Lupin too.

Been very happy with Young Rock. Very well cast. Glad to see Kenan & Chris getting that additional NBC money for their series, on top of their SNL paychecks. Well earned. Yes ... The Challenge on MTV. It's been pretty good in recent years, and interesting to see them bring over other cast members from other MTV shows, as well as programs on CBS (Survivor, Amazing Race, Big Brother). Even brought over Lolo Jones (Olympian) for a few seasons.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Very good actor (Tucker). He was good on season 1 of City on a Hill (Showtime) last year as well.

Glad you enjoyed Hip Hop Uncovered too. I need to see the rest of the episodes.

Yes - one of the best things about getting on series late (for any BGOL fam' member) is they know it's established and well-reviewed. BGOL fam' will let you know what's worth seeing, and what's worth avoiding.

Yes ... network TV is a complete challenge. Things get canned way too quickly based off of ratings, ad dollars, etc. Too many choices and options these days with specialty cable & streamers. The hosts of The Watch podcast were joking the other day that even as professional reviewers it's way too difficult to keep up with everything these days. Pretty much impossible. Plus ... network TV can't push the boundaries like other platforms can (language, nudity, violence, etc). They have to play it safe and relatively PC. Plus their seasonal runs are too long. People would rather tune into 5 - 12 episode seasons ... compared to the old days of 20 - 24 ep' primetime shows.
You're right and if someone asked my advice on how to fit it......limit these series to 10 episodes. Even that's too long. You should be able to effectively tell a season in a 5 or 6 episode arc.

I stopped watching Walking Dead and got so behind I said fuck it. Then I started looking at these Youtube films where people basically summarize a season in about 5 minutes. It caught me up to current day of Walking Dead. But this goes to show that these shows have too much filler. TV shows shouldn't be a chore. Shouldn't feel like a job.

Network TV has to come to grips and adapt to a different format.

I don't even get into network shows until I know they won't be cancelled after one season....

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's great to hear. I should mention that to my mom as she wasn't sure when she would be able to check it out.

Been very happy with Young Rock. Very well cast. Glad to see Kenan & Chris getting that additional NBC money for their series, on top of their SNL paychecks. Well earned. Yes ... The Challenge on MTV. It's been pretty good in recent years, and interesting to see them bring over other cast members from other MTV shows, as well as programs on CBS (Survivor, Amazing Race, Big Brother). Even brought over Lolo Jones (Olympian) for a few seasons.
I haven't had a chance to sit down and find The Challenge but I catch the clips on Youtube....it does look good just need to find something on the fire stick that can access those shows.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
You're right and if someone asked my advice on how to fit it......limit these series to 10 episodes. Even that's too long. You should be able to effectively tell a season in a 5 or 6 episode arc.

I stopped watching Walking Dead and got so behind I said fuck it. Then I started looking at these Youtube films where people basically summarize a season in about 5 minutes. It caught me up to current day of Walking Dead. But this goes to show that these shows have too much filler. TV shows shouldn't be a chore. Shouldn't feel like a job.

Network TV has to come to grips and adapt to a different format.

I don't even get into network shows until I know they won't be cancelled after one season....

100% agreed re: network series. So many of them have been cancelled after much less than 1 season. Smart to wait and see before investing time into them.

Yes ... The Walking Dead has certainly lost many millions of viewers over on AMC. Trying to make a franchise into a massive universe. The 16-episode (or so) format with a few months off in-between (mid-season break) makes it even more of a chore, as you noted. I gave up about halfway through last season.

Well said re: other series being able to tell a story in 5 - 6 episodes. Very true. Condensing the seasons to make them feel eventful.

Peaky Blinders ... 6 episode seasons (the season premieres and finales are always solid)

Trackers ... limited series ... 6 episodes or so.

Lupin ... first half of season 1 ... 5 episodes ... the other half later this year

Wandavision ... 9 episodes ...

Goliath ... approx' 8 episodes ...

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I haven't had a chance to sit down and find The Challenge but I catch the clips on Youtube....it does look good just need to find something on the fire stick that can access those shows.

Pretty good Youtube channel too ...

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
100% agreed re: network series. So many of them have been cancelled after much less than 1 season. Smart to wait and see before investing time into them.

Yes ... The Walking Dead has certainly lost many millions of viewers over on AMC. Trying to make a franchse into a massive universe. The 16-episode (or so) format with a few months off in-between (mid-season break) makes it even more of a chore, as you noted. I gave up about halfway through last season.

Well said re: other series being able to tell a story in 5 - 6 episodes. Very true. Condensing the seasons to make them feel eventful.

Peaky Blinders ... 6 episode seasons (the season premieres and finales are always solid)

Trackers ... limited series ... 6 episodes or so.

Lupin ... first half of season 1 ... 5 episodes ... the other half later this year

Wandavision ... 9 episodes ...

Goliath ... approx' 8 episodes ...

:thumbsup:

Overseas shows get it man. They wouldn't dare put on some shit for 20+ episodes. Its a big part why I find myself enjoying those shows much more.

Wandavision should be the blueprint for US series.....and Disney about to do it again with Falcon and Winter Solider and Loki. Prime example of telling a story and keeping a audience engaged.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member

I think I'll start Lupin tonight. I just finished catching up on Wandavision and looking forward to Falcon and Bucky's series. :yes:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Overseas shows get it man. They wouldn't dare put on some shit for 20+ episodes. Its a big part why I find myself enjoying those shows much more.

Wandavision should be the blueprint for US series.....and Disney about to do it again with Falcon and Winter Solider and Loki. Prime example of telling a story and keeping a audience engaged.

As my dad would say regarding the overly-long series of the past (network TV) ... that's why they run thin on plot, etc. Sure they can really character develop ... but they end up "jumping the shark" along the way when they run out of viable ideas.

As for Wandavision ... I think they played it really well with those first 2 episodes. People weren't sure what to expect as the season progressed, and many thought - "Lemme see where they take this show ..." once invested. A whole range of viewer & media critic takes, both good and bad, when they debuted in January.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
As my dad would say regarding the overly-long series of the past (network TV) ... that's why they run thin on plot, etc. Sure they can really character develop ... but they end up "jumping the shark" along the way when they run out of viable ideas.

As for Wandavision ... I think they played it really well with those first 2 episodes. People weren't sure what to expect as the season progressed, and many thought - "Lemme see where they take this show ..." once invested. A whole range of viewer & media critic takes, both good and bad, when they debuted in January.
I agree. I personally wouldn't have did it past 1 episode with the Wandavision but when you got their track record...they could've dragged it out even further than the 2 episodes they did.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I agree. I personally wouldn't have did it past 1 episode with the Wandavision but when you got their track record...they could've dragged it out even further than the 2 episodes they did.

I was listening to some of the entertainment podcast reviews at that time, and some of the hosts were saying it would have been safer to release 3 - 4 episodes at the start, instead of just the 2. But in the end it all seemed to have worked out well, as you noted w/ their proven track record.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was listening to some of the entertainment podcast reviews at that time, and some of the hosts were saying it would have been safer to release 3 - 4 episodes at the start, instead of just the 2. But in the end it all seemed to have worked out well, as you noted w/ their proven track record.
Ahh I agree with that. I guess releasing the two they did kind of had people intrigued and wondering what the fuck is going on. It worked for them however. DC better not try that bullshit with them HBO Max shows they got coming lol.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When I was done with Germany decided to go Masala with these two:

Back to back

Now on episode 4 of Tandav

But Sacred games already downloaded
81yFzdeUISL._RI_.jpg

7dfa772f347822f036c869aaa2706ce57db7faee353cff372fce5839da1ed33b._RI_V_TTW_.jpg

sacred-games-season-2-netflix.jpg

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Let us know whatcha think of Lupin in the near future, @Shaka54

:cheers:
I finished Lupin. It was good and I look forward to see how the next season works out. That book reminds me of the Umbrella Academy patriarch.
Even though Omar is the size of an NFL tight end, the show still worked for me.

I also finished up The Spymasters and then binged Tribes of Europa. Europa seems to combine three storylines from any of your favorite dystopian tropes into one series.
Combine Mad Max, The Hunger Games, The Planet of the Apes original, or Escape From New York, for instance. Pick three and pour them into a blender.
There was a lot that made me :yawn::wakeup: because there seemed to lack much originality, but I watched it all the way through waiting on some twist that the German production would add.

It's not a bad watch and has some entertaining parts in a lot of the episodes, but you won't see much that you haven't already seen elsewhere.