TV Show Discussion: The Boys by Garth Ennis on Amazon Prime (Fonz Approved!!!) Update: Gen V spin off airing new!

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
nah - it was always there - the audience and most at Vought couldn't see it

consider how long he was putting the pieces in place to get political pressure for adding heros to the military
Vought execs may have set the initiative but Homelander really saw how to create the necessity

Yeah I thought it was pretty clear that Homelander was smart as a mutherfucker....

Homelander had that shit in place before the show started...

As for saving the people on the plane... I thought it was pretty clear that Homelander is only about Homelander and to a lessor extent those on his team (so far)...

But yeah.. once he peeped the situation and noticed that it was impossible to save everyone..

He realized that it would easier to let everyone die then have his image tarnished by having a couple people say that they didn't save everyone.... Especially after he threatened to burn everyone.

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
y0, i was laughing at Deep's scene with the chick at how they reversed the tables on him.....but would that count as rape? he was saying 'no'
i'm feeling kinda fucked up for laughing since its being pointed out to me.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah I thought it was pretty clear that Homelander was smart as a mutherfucker....

Homelander had that shit in place before the show started...

As for saving the people on the plane... I thought it was pretty clear that Homelander is only about Homelander and to a lessor extent those on his team (so far)...

But yeah.. once he peeped the situation and noticed that it was impossible to save everyone..

He realized that it would easier to let everyone die then have his image tarnished by having a couple people say that they didn't save everyone.... Especially after he threatened to burn everyone.

Since you and cousin @ViCiouS concur...

Then I'm on board.

I really thought he wasn't a genius the whole time but just finally focused and started using his super brain properly.

So what we gonna say about the finger sucking, the awkard sex, the spying and getting caught, not finding Translucent?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Boys Season Finale Recap: Masters of the Universe
By Brian Tallerico
The Boys
You Found Me
SEASON 1 EPISODE 8
EDITOR’S RATING 4 STARS*****
«PREVIOUS NEXT
the-boys-ep-8.w700.h700.jpg

Photo: Amazon Studios

Showrunner Eric Kripke returns to direct a strong season finale for The Boys, a show already renewed into a second season by Amazon. Thank God that’s the case, because this year ends with a cliffhanger that, while predictable to a certain degree, sets the table for a very different second year. Think about it: Butcher’s entire reason for being the nihilist lunatic he’s been for a decade has been shattered; Annie is now fully working against the Seven, teaming up to save the Boys and fighting A-Train; Madelyn Stillwell is dead, murdered by the most popular superhero in the world. What now? While the first season of what is likely to be a hit for Amazon Prime was rocky and sometimes frustrating, there are enough things that work about it that the pieces are in place for a follow-up worth being excited about.

The show’s confidence seemed to build throughout this season, and it’s always a good thing to bring in supporting actors as strong as Giancarlo Esposito and Jim Beaver for a finale. The latter — a collaborator with Kripke on Supernatural and a consistently wonderful character actor — plays the Secretary of Defense, who meets with Elisabeth Shue’s Madelyn Stillwell. With the revelation that terrorists now have Compound-V and superpowers, the truth is that the governments will need Vought more than ever. All of those expensive bombers and weapons of mass destruction? Worthless now. And this means that Vought and Stillwell hold all the cards with Raynor too, grinding Butcher’s goal to expose the Seven to a halt. He’s not going to take that well.

Speaking of bad news, Annie got some last episode when she learned that heroes are created in labs. This means some questions for Mommy in a heartfelt scene about Annie’s past. She learns that Mom agreed to allow Vought to experiment on her daughter, and that’s why Dad left. She marches out, feeling betrayed by literally everyone in her life. The sense that she has no one who’s told her the truth can be read as motivation for why she comes to Hughie’s rescue in the end. Yes, his speech about her being a superhero is nice, but she also needs something to hold on to, and she basically learns this season that everything she thought she knew from her view of heroism to religion to her own life has been a lie. At least Hughie’s lies came from a good place.

Butcher goes to the woman who recruited him, Grace Mallory, for something to use against Homelander and the Seven. After much hemming and hawing, she reveals that this superhero’s weakness isn’t Kryptonite but his weird, Oedipal relationship with Madelyn Stillwell. Mallory feels like a bit of a non-character here, but she does get a great line about what she’s doing with her self-imposed retirement from the resistance business: “It was either bird watching or alcoholism, so … birds.”

LEARN MORE »
While Butcher is taking a final stab at the Seven, three of the Boys (Frenchie, Kumiko, and Mother’s Milk) get taken by a special-ops group, likely working for Vought. When Hughie and Butcher get back, they discover that the gang has been burned, and it divides the two remaining free members. Butcher wants to leave the rest of the gang and continue the resistance; Hughie wants to save his new friends. They fight, and Butcher is abusive, as usual. Hughie starts to realize how much he’s been used, and how Butcher drags everyone down in his life.

Right about here — 7.5 hours into the season — is where viewers want the fireworks to start, but a show that has often struggled with pacing has a few more dialogue scenes it needs to get off its chest. Yes, one of those introduces us to Giancarlo Esposito as the mysterious Mr. Edgar, Stillwell’s boss at Vought, but the Starlight party scene and bathroom convo with Maeve feels like something that should have been placed earlier. Same goes for the reveal that Homelander created Naqib, even if it does give Antony Starr the chance to chew on the line, “And now we have villains all over the globe that only we can fight in sequel after sequel after sequel.” Most importantly, we’re allowed the craziest scene of the episode, in which Homelander climaxes inside Stillwell as she practically baby-talks him with lines about “my special, special sweet boy.” Eek. That very memorable moment aside, a 66-minute episode — the longest of the season — drags right when we need it to pick up.

And then it does! Hughie gets himself caught on purpose so Frenchie can use his retainer to bust them out. They escape, get a gun, and an actual action scene ensues! After getting Kumiko free, it looks like the nameless baddies have the jump on them until Starlight comes to save the day! Finally, some heroism! And a showdown! After Frenchie, MM, and Kumiko get free, a drugged-up A-Train confronts Starlight and Hughie. The two members of the Seven fight, but A-Train took too much V and his heart gives out just in time for Hughie not to get destroyed. Hughie makes the heroic decision to not watch another superhero die, starting CPR on the person who killed his girlfriend. Annie calls it in, and takes over, allowing Hughie to run.

It’s telling that the season doesn’t climax with Hughie and Annie but with Butcher, Homelander, and Stillwell. Butcher’s final move is to strap Stillwell with C4 to get Homelander to come to her home. He’s going to kill Stillwell the same way that Homelander killed his wife. However, Homelander has another plan. He figured out the truth, and the fact that his faux mother lied to him breaks the final straw of sanity he had left. After a moment with Stillwell, he literally fries her face by blasting his laser eyes into hers. Now what, Butcher? Our anti-hero blows up the house anyway. There’s no reason to live now anyway, right?

Much to his surprise, Butcher wakes up on a lawn. Homelander saved him at the last minute. (Did he save Stillwell’s baby too? Probably not.) And the season ends by shattering William Butcher’s life as he sees that not only is Homelander’s son still alive … so is Becca Butcher.

Extra Frames
• Elisabeth Shue is a solid actress but she was stuck in a part that the writers didn’t really know what to do with, so it’s probably for the best that she’s gone, especially if one considers that this could mean Giancarlo Esposito’s Mr. Edgar will take that role next year as the puppet master of the superheroes. Let’s make that happen. He makes everything better.

• I forgot about The Deep! He learns the very hard way that no one at Vought wants to bring him back to the Seven. He’s in Ohio for now, and probably long-term, reimagined as “The Savior of Sandusky,” opening Splash Zones and hearing “Everybody Hurts” in his head. The idea that this is how superheroes are sidelined once their popularity wanes is clever, but The Deep knows too much. We haven’t seen the last of him.

• Who’s your season-one MVP? For me, the whole season goes to Antony Starr, an actor who struck the perfect balance of menace and faux heroism. Second would be Erin Moriarty, even if she was increasingly forced to be reactive to the story around her more than driving her own. Karl Urban is generally underrated too, and he got more interesting as the season progressed. Now that he has to redefine the character in season two, he could do even stronger work.

• What do you want out of season two? The show could go in 100 directions. Stillwell is dead and Becca is alive, which redefines the show. And Annie now knows everything about Hughie. Will she stay in the Seven? Could she after fighting A-Train? And are they “the Five” now?

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Happy for laz
Likewise.. He did a dam good job.. Also shows how hard it is for non A list black actors to get high profile quality work. Id never been impressed with his work prior to this. But he killed it.

8 episodes left me feeling cheated btw. That finale felt like a build up to a climax. I thought there were atleast 2 more episodes after watching that. Kinda ended abruptly imo.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Likewise.. He did a dam good job.. Also shows how hard it is for non A list black actors to get high profile quality work. Id never been impressed with his work prior to this. But he killed it.

8 episodes left me feeling cheated btw. That finale felt like a build up to a climax. I thought there were atleast 2 more episodes after watching that. Kinda ended abruptly imo.
good means they left you wanting more.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member

Nah 8 ep is good bigbro cause onze they go pissed it they will fuck it up. 10 max

Also he was good in breakout Kings until they decided to kill him forshock

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
killed the mayor
knew he was being hunted
killed the airplane and had a new narrative by the time he landed
planted super terrorist to go kill
found out about his son and took the dude to his wife who left and didn't think twice about it

Damn...

I think i let the comic effect my judgment

Mr.Mojo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To think they've only showed a tiny corner of the boys universe.. Those other camps.. All those missions.. Man shit gets fucked up.. It's some shit going on they can definitely leave out. That's where being true to the source material meets your offending my senses..

It's crazy.. garth ennis hates supes and that Probaly makes him one of the best people to write them. He exposes the flaws peels back all that pretty shit.

IMDATDUDE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Great show. Now I'm not a big super hero fan so I thought all those Netflix shows were trash. I watched this and then watched the Avengers Endgame for the first time Saturday smh The Boys ruined Endgame for me. This show is more my speed when it comes to this stuff

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This looks beyond amazing..

:money:

The Boys was reportedly a big hit for Amazon
Amazon has revealed that the Seth Rogen superhero adaptation The Boys is already one of its most-watched shows ever.
NEWS
Alec Bojalad
Aug 9, 2019
the-boys-amazon-prime_0.jpg

Who said anything about superhero fatigue?

Amazon Prime has reported that its Garth Ennis superhero adaptation from producer Seth Rogen, The Boys, is already among its most watched original series ever. And that's only after two weeks.

“I’m so beyond thrilled with the response to season 1. And mainly, it’s made me get my ass in gear and work even harder on season 2,” executive producer Eric Kripke said. “I don’t want season 2 to go bigger, I want it to go deeper. A more intense, more insane, more wrenching, more character-driven season. It’s my one and only goal to make season 2 even better than season 1.”

As a streaming service, Amazon Prime has followed the lead of its competitors and peers in not making actual viewership data to the general public. So any self-reporting of success should be taken with a grain of salt. But in this instance, it's not hard to conceive of The Boys's major success. The show currently has an 81% on Rotten Tomatoes with an audience score of 94%. And anecdotally it seems to be a driver of much online discussion.

The Boys is among the darkest and most intriguing takes of superherodom on television yet. The show takes its lead from Ennis and Darick Robertson's bleakly hilarious comic book series. The Boys imagines a world in which superheroes are not only real but actual celebrities. When those superpowered celebrities' reckless behavior jeopardises the safety of the world, the CIA squad known as "The Boys" are sent in to check them.

“We are thrilled that The Boys have surpassed our predictions for viewing in its first two weeks, and has become one of our most watched Amazon Original series by our Prime Video customers,” Jennifer Salke, Head of Amazon Studios, said in a statement. “This creates great momentum and excitement for us as we get ready for season two.”

PeerlessMack

Been here longer than you think!
Platinum Member
Damn, I didn't think I would be into the show like this. Now I can't wait for season 2.

My thoughts below (hid for spoilers)

• Black Noir is my favorite supe. Turns out dude who plays him is black.
  • Butcher is just as much as an asshole as the supes.
  • Elisabeth Shue played the hell out of her role. Now that she is gone you know our boy, Giancarlo Esposito, is gonna take her place as the corporate antagonist.
  • LMAO how they portrayed real life B-list actors as washed up has-beens on the show.
  • Damn, all that hate and rage and years of planning vengeance only to find out your wife, that you thought was murdered, was simply a cheating bitch.
  • Mother's Milk shouldn't have put his family at risk like that.
  • Doppleganger is a real problem. Dude could ruin more lives than any of the other supes.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn, I didn't think I would be into the show like this. Now I can't wait for season 2.

• Elisabeth Shue played the hell out of her role. Now that she is gone you know our boy, Giancarlo Esposito, is gonna take her place as the corporate antagonist.
  • LMAO how they portrayed real life B-list actors as washed up has-beens on the show.
  • Damn, all that hate and rage and years of planning vengeance only to find out your wife, that you thought was murdered, was simply a cheating bitch.
  • Doppleganger is a real problem. Dude could ruin more lives than any of the other supes.

We don't know if the wife cheated.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Would be ILL if Shue is not really dead and it was Doppleganger....

because we STILL don't know what happened to HER baby.

Last edited:

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member

BN dont play stone cold killer