TV Show Discussion: The Boys by Garth Ennis on Amazon Prime (Fonz Approved!!!) Update: Gen V spin off airing new!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Let's hear it for The Boys: How the superhero satire crafted its gutsiest season yet

TV’s most provocative anti-heroes scored record ratings while tackling Nazis, systemic racism, and police brutality. With an impending third season and a spin-off on the horizon, this world of deranged superheroes (and the vigilantes trying to expose them) is bigger and bolder than ever.
By Nick Romano
October 09, 2020 at 12:00 PM EDT

Warning: This article contains spoilers about the entirety of The Boys season 2, including the finale.
Between the superhero theatrics one expects from an R-rated show like The Boys — which in its second season drove a speedboat through a beached whale, showered an entire courtroom with blood from exploding heads, and introduced a character with a super-human… love sausage — the most significant moment plays out at a quiet corporate dining room over a plate of gruyère puffs.
Karl Urban’s Billy Butcher, leader of a group of covert mercenaries dedicated to keeping out-of-control supes in line, sits across from his enemy, Giancarlo Esposito’s Stan Edgar, head of Vought International, the corporate overlords of the world’s premiere team of heroes, known as the Seven. With a high-rise view from the top of Vought Tower, Billy attacks the puppetmaster for his role in turning a “racist piece of s--- into America's sweetheart.” He means Stormfront (Aya Cash), the newest member of the Seven and a closet Nazi who’s been riling up her alt-right social media fanbase to support the creation of a master race army of Aryan supes. Mr. Edgar, a Black executive, acknowledges she’s problematic — but stirring up anger is good for the company’s bottom line. Vought rakes in billions marketing everything from action figures to tie-in blockbuster films based on the Seven — but its real product is actually the pharmaceutical drug revealed to be behind all those special powers.

“I can’t lash out like some raging entitled maniac,” Edgar says. “That is a white man's luxury.”
“So, it’s just business then, eh?” Billy asks.
“When, Mr. Butcher, in history has it ever been about anything different?”

Showrunner Eric Kripke and his writers specifically engineered this scene to lay out what season 2 — and maybe even the entire show — has been about. Yes, The Boys has a bloody good time playing with the premise that the world’s most famous superheroes come with great power yet wield them with no great responsibility. But it’s deeper than that. “Vought and many, many, many corporations are actively willing to put pain and violence into the world if they believe it will help their bottom line, even if they find what's happening personally objectionable and revolting,” Kripke tells EW. “It's not their job to worry about themselves. It's their job to worry about this corporation, this massive sociopathic thing that only cares about itself to the destruction of all others.” If you can get past the irony that this show is distributed by a behemoth corporation, that’s still a lot to chew on.

Mixing the outlandish fun parts of a superhero satire with modern parallels has always been in the DNA of The Boys, which began as an adult comic book series from writer Garth Ennis and artist Darick Robertson. The duo wanted to do more than poke fun at other superhero comics. That’s why the Seven, like evil doppelgängers of the Justice League, also satirize celebrity, politics, and the military-industrial complex — a mix that takes on new meaning when adapted for TV while a former reality star currently resides within the White House.

Executive producers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, who brought to life another Ennis comic, Preacher, on the small screen, saw The Boys’ potential in “striking a chord with a big audience in a rare way,” Rogen recollects. “It didn't deal with as many alienating topics as other things. In fact, it had essentially as mainstream a topic as you could ask for: superheroes. The idea of an epic, subversive, heavily serialized, character-driven show with gigantic action set pieces and a breakneck pace was something we knew we'd be thrilled to watch, and that's always the best place to start.”
The show’s season 2 premiere became the most-watched launch for an Amazon Original Series, according to the studio, and gave Netflix a run for its money when it busted into the top three spots on Nielsen’s streaming chart for the first time in September. Now, on top of an already approved third season, Amazon is comin’ atcha Boys with a fast-tracked spin-off series to further expand the world.
“First of all, the show dares to step over the line like no other show ever in the history of television,” Urban says. “Secondly, it's about the characters, and you’ve got to throw that back to Eric Kripke and the writers. They’ve written these multidimensional characters with flaws and wonderful human traits that we can all identify with.”

In the eye of the storm
For every capital-I Issue on The Boys, there’s one of those flawed characters behind it — some more innocent than others. Months before Harvey Weinstein was exposed in 2017, the first season writers’ room already had a plan to address systemic misogyny through Starlight (Erin Moriarty), a supe from a small town with big dreams. She gets a job in the Seven, moves to the city, and finds out her co-workers turn on a smile for the cameras but are some of the worst people on the planet behind closed doors. In 2019, as the writers sat down to brainstorm season 2 stories, the big ideas bouncing around included systemic racism, Trump’s attacks on immigrants, and police brutality.
Enter Stormfront, a character who allowed them to expose all of those points through the wellspring of metaphorical potential. Her character actually dates back to World War II, where her husband, Frederick Vought, used to work as a scientist for Adolf Hitler at Dachau. Her late husband’s company, none other than Vought International, has since moved her around, changed her name, and rebranded her a social media personality in the modern age who wants to “make America safe again” from the supe terrorist threat. “You can take super-terrorists and replace them with ‘caravans of immigrants,’” Kripke notes. “That story is a, very sadly, realistic one.”
Cash, who auditioned before the show premiered, having read only the season 1 pilot script, saw the role as “an interesting critique of the world we live in,” specifically how “hate groups have used social media in order to both incite fear and passion for their causes.” “I wanted to make sure that it was going to be handled in a way that I felt supportive of,” she says. “With art, I don't care, honestly, if people fail, but there has to be a lot of thought behind it. I'd rather a big swing for the fences where somebody is really trying to say something than just playing it safe.”

Playing it safe has never been in The Boys’ vocabulary. Season 2’s penultimate episode kicks off with a particularly pointed sequence: a day in the life of one of Stormfront’s supporters. It’s an unflinching look at how he is radicalized morning after morning by the extremist rhetoric on Vought News — right up through when he shoots and kills his local convenience store clerk, motivated by the hysterical fear that he might be a supe terrorist. “People like what I have to say, they believe in it,” Stormfront will later shout at the Boys. “They just don’t like the word Nazi.”
It’s no coincidence that Stromfront’s rhetoric finds a matched set with the sociopathic Homelander. “Americans are a very, very patriotic lot in general,” says Antony Starr, who plays the all-American hero and sports the nation’s flag as his cape. (Like Urban, Starr hails from New Zealand.) “Homelander does not represent the best of America. And let’s face it, America has always had issues if you’re anyone but a white male. For many, there were no good old days. The fact that the character’s duplicity plays on the patriotism and national pride of Americans is a statement — and [plays on] their fears, which [are] very common at the moment.”
A show bold enough to attack these topics head on needs actors just as willing to start a conversation. Performing in this space between entertainment and commentary is “exactly where I want to be as an actor,” Cash adds. “Entertainment for entertainment's sake is not very entertaining to me.”

Laz Alonso finds the same experience “cathartic,” he says. Early in the second season, his character, Mother’s Milk (a.k.a. “MM” for short), follows a lead to an older supe called Liberty, who turns out to be a former alias of Stormfront. The investigation leads to an older Black woman named Valerie, who as a child witnessed Liberty, a uniformed protector, pull over her brother’s car — and kill him on the side of the road. The story MM shares with Valerie, about how his father, a lawyer, died after fighting Vought in court at a time when the company “wasn’t about to let this one Black Man put his foot on their necks,” was partly ad-libbed by Alonso. “Eric is not trying to artificially create moments,” he says. “That Mother’s Milk monologue was completely he and I working together.”
The scene became about generational trauma. Like Valerie, MM has lost a loved one to systemic racism. “It still comes down to, this fight didn’t start with me,” Alonso explains of his character. “My dad fought this fight, his dad fought this fight, and if I don’t fight this fight, I’m going to pass it on to my daughter. And that’s not the inheritance that I want to leave. So, if I have to possibly lose my life so that she doesn’t have to, then it was worth it.”

Adding to the significance of this moment is the fact that it extends beyond “two Black people having a conversation about their shared experiences,” as Alonso puts it. By making Hughie (Jack Quaid) and Starlight a part of the scene with Valerie, “we’ve allowed the conversation to extend itself to white people and how it affects us all.”
“Because it’s through a superhero lens where things are blowing up all the time, and we impale a whale with a speedboat, I think it makes the messages a little bit more digestible for certain people,” says Quaid, whose breakthrough performance in season 1 as Hughie also doubles as viewers’ lens inside the world of The Boys. “I think the best disinfectant is sunlight. I love to be on a show that is so insane — but we’re able to slip in all these messages of equality and empathy, because we are sorely lacking those things today.”

A piece of the action
Satire or no satire, there are still blockbuster-worthy superhero moments. It’s part of Kripke’s direction for the series since day 1: “If you don’t do this show with at least the production value of what people are used to in Marvel movies, you’re f---ing dead, because then you are making some Naked Gun parody of a superhero show instead of what this needs to be, which is the most real superhero show.”
Cash, who hadn’t done anything quite so VFX-heavy in the past, remains in awe of how Karen Fukuhara is “insanely good at stunts.” The Suicide Squad actress who plays Kimiko, a silent but ultra-deadly supe who becomes a member of the Boys, performed many of her own tricks. That includes what she calls “the Black Widow,” where she emulates the signature move of Scarlett Johansson’s Natasha Romanoff. “It's basically me wrapping my legs around his neck and [doing a] 360 spin,” Fukuhara says. “We have the cameras [film] from right above and it was awesome. I felt like such a badass superhero.”
“Um,” she clarifies. “Not ‘hero.’”

Karen Fukuhara (Kimiko) PHOTO:
These skills came in handy for the finale battle, which, like the rest of the season, wasn’t subtle about its messaging: Kimiko, Starlight, and a surprise drop-in from Queen Maeve (Dominique McElligott) band together to beat the crap out of Stormfront. “Doing it on the day was amazing,” Fukuhara recalls. “But also seeing it on screen was just so fulfilling because you see the entire season, how [Stormfront’s] being such an a--hole and such a racist. It’s not just me who gets to kick her ass — it’s all of the girls.”
This climactic boss fight required “the most prep,” according to Cash, from rehearsals to conference calls to map out the choreography. Fukuhara notes how Kripke purposefully wanted this battle to be mostly “physical punches” between the characters, which made it “really real and raw.” “A lot of times in superhero shows, it's a lot of magic powers going boom,” she says. “But we're getting in there and we're socking [Stormfront] and kicking her. And it's very aggro.”
Perhaps the truest sense of Stormfront’s arc this season is what happens in the finale’s final moments. After managing to flee the scene of her battle against the other women, our villain has one last punch to throw.
Season 1 revealed that Billy’s wife Becca isn’t actually dead but held in a secret Vought-operated community, where she is allowed to raise her son, Ryan — a supe child conceived when Homelander raped her. Billy has just rescued Becca and Ryan when Stormfront foils their getaway. To protect his mom, Ryan unleashes his inherited but still untrained laser vision, which both inadvertently kills his mother in the crossfire and severs Stormfront’s limbs. Given her near invulnerability, she’s still alive and breathing, even if she is reduced to a torso and head carted off to a hidden Vought facility. Just because the battle is won doesn’t mean the fight against white supremacy is too.

Cash, as it happens, can neither confirm nor deny whether Stormfront might return for season 3. All she’ll say is that when she first took the job, she was contracted for one season. “I think they've left the door open, but I also feel like there's not much left of her,” she teases. “She's not technically dead, but I think you'll just have to see season 3 to find out what happened to her, [or] if she's going to be around at all in her smaller form.”
"She's not dead. She's just a stump," Kripke says with a laugh. "Among the writers and talking with Aya, we're like, 'Well, what is going to happen to Stumpfront?' So we’ll see.”

Blowing up the world
One aspect of Ennis and Robertson’s comics that always intrigued Kripke is how it creates a vast world. It’s why the crew created dozens of posters that appeared on the show for heroes such as Drummer Boy, Silver Kincaid, and Cold Snap, none of whom physically show up in season 2 — Easter eggs for viewers who scrutinize the backgrounds of certain scenes. Now, Kripke is able to expand this universe in ways he didn’t initially consider possible.

Back in January, Kripke sat down with writer Craig Rosenberg (who penned season 2’s whale episode), along with EPs Rogen and Goldberg, to kick around ideas. One in particular came out of that conversation: “The Boys, even though it has superheroes, is a particularly realistic show about society,” Kripke says. “We got really interested in, ‘Wouldn’t it be great if we could take superheroes and make one of the most realistic college shows that's ever been made?’ ‘Cause they're not made very often.”
Amazon went for it. Now the spin-off, set at a Hunger Games-esque university for young supes run by Vought International, is on the fast track for development with Rosenberg writing and showrunning. Kripke, who’s also executive producing the spin-off with Rogen and Goldberg, promises it’s not some “watered-down version” of The Boys. “It’s its own totally different animal,” he says. “The goal is that the spin-off will definitely be a college show.”
The opportunity also opens the door to make even more series rooted in the world of The Boys. The irony isn’t lost on Kripke that, for all his time mocking the idea of a Vought Cinematic Universe on the show where all members of the Seven have their own movie franchises, he’s now making the VCU a reality. Kripke doesn’t want to “squeeze all the blood out of [the franchise] as quickly as we can,” he says. “If one of the writers or producers comes up with an organically great idea, Amazon is really supportive about us exploring it. But the shows have to be really good. It doesn’t help if it’s cash-grabbing.”
As the second season finishes its weekly run, Kripke is still focused on season 3, even if the pandemic has prevented them from locking in a firm start of production. He’s hopeful for a start early next year.

The writers have already assembled to map out the entire season arc, which will introduce Supernatural star Jensen Ackles as Soldier Boy, dubbed the original superhero. Laura Jean Shannon, the show’s costume designer, created Soldier Boy’s look, Kripke says, as well as “a couple of other suits that we're going to be seeing in season 3.”
Those will belong to members of a new squad: Payback. In the comics, Soldier Boy led his own team of heroes — which included Eagle the Archer, Crimson Countess, and Tek Knight — while trying to vie for a spot in the Seven. “In the world of our show,” Kripke adds, “[Payback] was the Seven before the Seven. We will be exploring the history of that team and all the members in it.”
As you might guess, there’s a relevant reason for looking back to the original age of heroes. If season 2 dealt with America’s current reality of white supremacism and systemic racism, season 3 will explore how the nation got there. “There’s always been systemic racism and conflict and a lot of ugliness, yet always a fight to make things better,” Kripke explains. “Certain politicians like to pitch this somehow idyllic ‘good old days’ where everything was perfect and calm. That is complete and utter bulls---. It was never that way. So, by exploring the history of Vought in the history of America, we get to make some of those points. There was never an America [like] when they say ‘Make America Great Again.’ It was always a struggle. That's the point. It's a struggle to make things better.”
These may not be the kind of superheroes — or show — that we expected to take center stage in an age dominated by Marvel and DC movies. But, at a time when a sitting president won’t condemn white supremacist groups outright, perhaps these are exactly the kind of superheroes we need.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Boys season 3 sets early 2021 filming start, teases Jensen Ackles' 'Payback' debut

The Boys are back in town for season 3. Showrunner Eric Kripke drops a little tease of what's to come.
By Nick Romano
October 14, 2020 at 01:43 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:10
01:52

Share:'The Boys' Cast Dish on Jensen Ackles Playing Soldier Boy
Direct Link

The Boys (TV Series)
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
  • Amazon Prime
GENRE

WHERE TO WATCH

The Boys are getting ready for another round with the supes.
While COVID-19 has delayed many production schedules, including Amazon's satirical superhero series, showrunner Eric Kripke has announced The Boys season 3 will start filming in "early 2021." This was something the team was hoping for, as Kripke told EW for the season 2 cover story, but now it's official.
Season 3 will formally introduce Supernatural star Jensen Ackles as Soldier Boy, the original superhero, and Kripke has a slight tease for that in the form of a photo of the first episode's script.
The first hour of season 3 is titled "Payback" and it's written by Craig Rosenberg, who wrote season 2's big whale episode and is showrunning the upcoming college-themed spin-off of The Boys.

"#TheBoys Will Return. #Season3 Begins Filming Early 2021. You're Not F---ing Ready," Kripke tweeted. Stars Karl Urban, Jack Quaid, Erin Moriarty, Antony Starr, Laz Alonso, Karen Fukuhara, Jessie T. Usher, and Nathan Mitchell were tagged, along with executive producer Seth Rogen.

Payback is the name of Soldier Boy's superhero team."Payback, in the world of our show, was the Seven before the Seven," Kripke told EW. "We will be exploring the history of that team and all the members in it.”
As we learned in season 2, Soldier Boy was one of the first people injected by Vought founder Frederick Vought with Compound V, the company's serum that gives superpowers to humans. Soldier Boy was active fighting Nazis in World War II. In the comics, other members of Payback included Stormfront (who was gender-swapped with Aya Cash in the role for season 2), Eagle the Archer (who appeared in season 2 by way of Langston Kerman), Tek Knight (referenced by Colby Minifie's Ashley), and Crimson Countess.

"One of the reasons that we're getting into Soldier Boy [in season 3] and that team, Payback, is we're interested in exploring a little bit of how we got here," Kripke said. "Through the history of the supes, we can tell a little bit about the history of America and how we ended up in the current fraught position that we're in. Soldier Boy gives us an opportunity to do that."
By "fraught position," he means our current climate in which people are fighting against white supremacy and systemic racism. “Certain politicians like to pitch this somehow idyllic ‘good old days’ where everything was perfect and calm. That is complete and utter bulls---," Kripke added. "It was never that way. So, by exploring the history of Vought in the history of America, we get to make some of those points. There was never an America when they say ‘Make America Great Again.’ It was always a struggle. That's the point. It's a struggle to make things better."
Season 2 of The Boys delivered the most-watched launch of any Amazon Prime original series, according to the studio. The finale debuted on Friday, Oct. 9.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think it does a disservice to the story and treats the viewers like dummies when the creators of a show or movie do a breakdown or explanation of the thing.

Movies and shows are as much art as a Picasso painting and as such up to INTERPRETATION just like an abstract painting...whatever you the viewer brings to the table is whatever you think it is. The great part about that is is it preserves the rewatchability of the thing because you can see something I didn't or have a perspective I didn't consider and now I have to go back and look at it again and see if I see what you saw in it. This can be a topic of debate/discussion that can go on for decades.

But when the creator says "It's this thing" that's it. They should know because they created the damn thing so there's no further discussion on it... it kills debate and now I don't have to revisit it to see if I see something different. It is what they said it is. Doing breakdowns and BTS may help in promoting the shows and movies but absolutely KILLS THE MAGIC of cinema and storytelling. :smh: :smh: :smh:

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Cindy WILL Return To The Boys In A Future Season
The Boys showrunner Eric Kripke confirms that Cindy, one of the telekinetic patients at Sage Grove Center, will return in a future season.

BY TIFFANY WANG3 DAYS AGO

Warning: SPOILERS ahead for The Boys season 2 finale.

The Boys
showrunner Eric Kripke confirms that the mysterious (and terrifying) Cindy will return in the future. Amazon Prime's The Boys just wrapped on season 2 with an action-packed finale. This season was just as crazy as fans expected, and had everything from impaled whales to deadly tree nut allergies.

Cindy (Ess Hödlmoser) was introduced as one of Vought's test subjects in the Sage Grove Center with telekinetic powers. After all of Sage Grove's inmates are accidentally sprung from their cells, Cindy gives The Boys a firsthand look at her powers. After a security guard shoots at her, Cindy turns and coolly extends one hand, causing the man's head to explode. She's later seen at the end of the episode, hitchhiking to an unknown location.

Continue Scrolling To Keep ReadingClick the button below to start this article in quick view.

START NOW

RELATED: The Boys Soundtrack: Every Song In Season 2

The Boys' showrunner Kripke confirms in a Twitter video that Cindy will be back. Kripke states that Cindy is definitely still alive and just as dangerous as she was before. However, Kripke admits he's not sure when Cindy will make a reappearance but promises fans that they'll see her again before the end of the show. You can catch Kripke's full quote—as well as the tweet—below:

"Cindy's out there, man, as dangerous as ever. Look, when you're running the show, it's always smart to plant little land mines everywhere that you can go back to and use - and Cindy will return. I'm not entirely sure when, but before this show is over you will see Cindy again - that's for certain."

Cindy was the main suspect in the exploding heads saga since the moment she showcased her powers. The first head explosion victim was CIA Deputy Director Susan Raynor (Jennifer Esposito), whose head was blown apart as she was speaking with The Boys. By the time Cindy and her powers were introduced, she seemed like a strong fit as the culprit, especially considering she had already escaped the Sage Grove Center by the time the Congressional hearing massacre took place. Yet in another unexpected twist, The Boys' season 2 finale reveals that it is none other than Congresswoman Victoria Neuman (Claudia Doumit) who is responsible for the exploding heads. While Cindy might be innocent of this particular subset of crimes, it'll still be interesting to see what trouble she stirs up next.

While it's unclear when Cindy will be back in action, fans have plenty to look forward to in season 3. Between The Boys' ever-present war on Vought, Hughie's (Jack Quaid) new job, and Stormfront's (Aya Cash) potential return, it seems that Amazon Prime's smash hit will have more than enough content to keep viewers engaged. Although Cindy's immediate future on The Boys may be up in the air, it's almost guaranteed that Kripke and his team will make Cindy's triumphant return as shocking (and explosive) as possible.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Boys: The Deep's Fresca Obsession Explained
The Deep joins a cult in The Boys season 2, and the Church of the Collective keep drinking Fresca as a recurring theme. What's going on here?

BY CRAIG ELVYSEP 09, 2020
What on Earth is going on with the Fresca drink obsession in The Boys season 2? He may not be the easiest character to like, but Chace Crawford's The Deep (Kevin to his friends) has experienced a highly tumultuous journey in The Boys so far. To the public, The Deep is a vain male model of a superhero, more concerned with Instagram likes and his hairstyle than saving lives. Behind closed doors, Kevin is far worse, forcing Starlight to perform a sex act on him to keep her job. The Deep is publicly outed as a predator and quietly moved away from The Seven to a small town with minimal crime as punishment.

Chace-Crawford-as-The-Deep-in-The-Boys.jpg

In The Boys season 2, The Deep joins a cult - an incredibly him thing to do. Now indoctrinated by the Church of the Collective, The Deep is encouraged to confront his self-esteem issues and earn back his spot in The Seven. Deep is accompanied on his journey of self(ish) discovery by Eagle the Archer and Carol, and the trio delight in doing some soul searching... over a cool, refreshing can of Fresca, of course! The Fresca references in The Boys season 2 are so blatant and repetitive, it's natural to imagine there must be some significance behind them.

RELATED: How The Boys Season 2 Mocks Batman V Superman

Official word from The Boys' showrunner, Eric Kripke, is that the Fresca gag is nothing more than an in-joke. Speaking with CinemaBlend, Kripke alleged that the writing team were trying to imagine what alcohol-free cult members would drink, and Fresca was the lucky winner, gradually transforming into a running joke whenever the Church of the Collective are on screen. Taking the showrunner at his word, the Fresca joke could be seen as a riff on the "drinking the Kool Aid" trope. Whenever someone buys into a conspiracy or cult, they're said to be "drinking Kool Aid" and the Church of the Collective's obsession with Fresca could be The Boys' own spin on that familiar phrase.

Fresca isn't the first random, unexplained running joke in The Boys. When Butcher and the gang first debuted in 2019, season 1 included a fly prominently placed in several episodes, buzzing around the main cast. While Kripke dismissed the insect as an outtake included in the final edit for comedy value, fans continue to speculate that there's more to the fly than The Boys is letting on, possibly an Ant-Man style superhero keeping tabs on Vought's enemies. Fresca seems to be season 2's fly - something that could either be an inconsequential in-joke or a tease towards a future storyline.

Heading into theory territory, perhaps The Deep is unknowingly involved in a Truman Show-esque reality series. Vought might've sidelined Kevin from The Seven, but they'd still be looking to make a profit from their biggest aquatic superhero. Deep could be caught in an elaborate hidden camera deception, with Eagle and Carol willing participants. In this setup, the running Fresca joke could be product placement within the show, which should be called "Deep Undercover." Alternatively, perhaps the Church of the Collective's leadership are lacing Fresca with a drug to make their new recruits more compliant. The Deep seems to waver between skepticism and unquestionable devotion in The Boys season 2, and Fresca might explain why, making him more susceptible to the madcap teachings of his new cult friends.

Only time will tell as to whether the Fresca references in The Boys season 2 are a harmless joke, or whether there's a Deep-er significance Kripke is trying not to spoil. In the meantime, it's certainly fun to speculate about The Deep's cult future, and Fresca themselves are benefiting from the extra exposure. Although whether they're happy to be associated with the Church of the Collective is another matter...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

The Boys Showrunner Has Plans For At Least 5 Seasons
The Boys just wrapped up its second season and showrunner Eric Kripke has plans for Amazon's superhero show to last at least five seasons.

BY COOPER HOOD4 DAYS AGO

The Boys showrunner Eric Kripke has plans for the hit series to run at least five seasons. When the first season of The Boys released on Amazon Prime Video in 2019, it didn't take long for audiences to catch on to the satirical superhero show. For as popular as season 1 was, The Boys season 2 was an even bigger hit. Viewership nearly doubled as the weekly episode rollout continued and saw The Boys starting to become as popular as Netflix shows.

The Boys season 2 has just ended, and fans are already anxious to see what will come next. The future of The Boys is already secured as Amazon once again gave the series an early renewal. They confirmed plans for The Boys season 3 during Comic-Con@Home 2020. Although no release date has been set for the new season, the current plan is for production to begin in early 2021. Those who have already watched The Boys season 2 finale have some idea of where the show is heading next, but most are hoping that it will continue long past season 3.

Continue Scrolling To Keep ReadingClick the button below to start this article in quick view.

START NOW

RELATED:The Boys Season 2 Ending Explained (In Detail)

During a fan Q&A on Twitter, showrunner Eric Kripke responded to many questions about the making of The Boys and what will happen next in the show. One fan asked how long he envisioned the show running for. Kripke was hesitant to give too firm of an answer seeing as the last show he created, Supernatural, ran for 15 seasons. But, he did say that he has enough ideas to keep The Boys going for five seasons.

Barring a dramatic decrease in interest and/or quality, The Boys should have a pretty good shot at reaching the five-season benchmark. Kripke has repeatedly voiced how great Amazon has been to work with, and they are clearly happy with the show with the multiple early renewals. With interest in the show even growing with season 2, everything is pointing towards The Boys continuing to be made for years to come. There are plenty of stories from Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson's comics to tackle still, so those storylines, plus whatever Kripke and the writers come up with, give The Boys a lot of room to grow.

Whether The Boys runs for five seasons exactly or much longer, it is already known that it won't be the only content to arrive in this universe. Amazon has announced plans for the first The Boys spinoff show based around Supes in college. The spinoff might crossover with the main show to some degree, and there are other great opportunities for spinoff shows if The Boys does end sooner rather than later.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
I’ve been enjoying this whole series it’s been a refresher from all the marvel and dc movies and it contains all the carnage we’d expect and want to see from super powered human violence including the politics that go with it lol

I thought Black Noire went out like a bitch but I see the humor in him being the big bad ass that’s taken out by a small nut.

Also Kimiko didn’t get the revenge she deserved for her brother being killed I felt cheated with that scene. At least let her get a proper ass-whooping in even if you wanna let the kid finish her off.

Giancarlo Esposito as Edgar is awesome in his scenes should’ve had him in earlier. I hang onto his words in each scene I like his retorts and rebuttals.

As for sticking to the comic book I guess it’s pretty solid considering all the swaps they’ve made. But the show is great.

Yeah people love what they have to say they believe in it they just don’t like to be called RACIST. lol

A lot of smilies and allegories throughout this whole series.

They should’ve made him be just like in the comics. Being the crazy homelander, just the black version.

mcguyver

Rising Star
OG Investor
Season 1 was far superior imo. Season two, especially the ending was predictable. Only suprise was who was behind the heads blowing up.

Also when in the hell do we get to see what Compound V powers Huey has? Seems like they keep hinting at it.

I think Butcher has powers.

JustChillin

Electric Relaxation
BGOL Investor
The ending was ok.

There are literally at least 10 MCU movie scenes i can think of that are way better.

Great show though

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Can we get a translation on the german stormfront was speaking

It was so beautiful how the three of us sat there in the shade of a apple tree. So you remember the day Frederick? Chole had her arm stretched out the car window found the perfect spot by the river and the shade of the apple tree. It was the first time Chole ate fresh apples. I was so happy it was wonderful I never wanted it to end

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

he Boys cast and creator react to Obama saying he's a fan: 'Thanks for watching'

By Tyler Aquilina
December 15, 2020 at 05:49 PM EST

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore
The Boys (TV Series)
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
  • Amazon Prime
GENRE

WHERE TO WATCH

Barack Obama is a fan of The Boys, and the stars of the show think that's super.
In a recent interview with EW, the former president name-checked Amazon's satirical superhero series among the TV shows he watches when he needs a break from writing. The cast and series creator Eric Kripke were apparently delighted to learn Obama is a fan of the show, evinced by their awestruck reactions on social media.
"Thanks for watching, @BarackObama," Kripke tweeted. "If you ever wanna hang out, hit me up in my DM's. (But seriously, this is amazing, THANKS for the shout out)."

"I was today years old when I found out president @BarackObama watches @TheBoysTV," wrote star Jack Quaid. "Can I stay this age forever?"

Antony Starr, who plays the Seven's leader, Homelander, also responded on Twitter, declaring, "If The Boys is good enough for Obama…it's good enough." On Instagram, he added, in an allusion to an NSFW moment from season 2, "Well well well… I wonder what he thought of Mother's Milk vs the 'snake'…? Somehow I can't imagine him sipping wine and watching that." (We can't either, for what it's worth.)

Mother's Milk himself, Laz Alonso, wrote on Instagram, "You never know who's watching and who u have the ability to inspire."

Jessie Usher (A-Train), meanwhile, posted an ecstatic reaction on his Instagram story, writing, "President Obama has spoken!!! GAME CHANGER!" Aya Cash (Stormfront) struck a similar tone, writing, "Holy s--- OBAMA WATCHES @theboystv!" And Erin Moriarty (Starlight) simply responded with a GIF of Quaid's Hughie gasping.
The Boys is set to begin production on season 3 in early 2021, with Supernatural star Jensen Ackles joining the cast as Soldier Boy. You can also find out Obama's other favorite shows here.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Aya Cash says her future on The Boys is uncertain: 'Maybe they can CGI my face in'

The forecast is not looking great for Stormfront fans.
By Rosy Cordero
March 24, 2021 at 02:38 PM EDT

Aya Cash doesn't have good news to share with The Boys fans who were hoping to see more of Stormfront when the show returns to Amazon Prime Video for its third season.

"I want to know if she'll be back too," Cash tells EW exclusively while promoting the trailer for her new film We Broke Up.

"I'm not there now," she says of the satirical superhero series, which is currently in production in Canada. "I'm on a new Fox show now called This Country. My contract for The Boys was only for a year so, who knows? Maybe they can CGI my face in."

Things were left a bit up in the air for Cash's electro-powered supervillain in the season 2 finale of The Boys, in which her arms and legs were blown off by heat vision. But with Stormfront being immortal, some fans have been keeping hope alive.

Cash told EW last fall that she felt the episode "left the door open" for Stormfront's return, though "there's not that much left of her. She's not technically dead, but I think you'll just have to see season 3 to find out what happened to her, [or] if she's going to be around at all in her smaller form."

Showrunner Eric Kripke added, "She's not dead. She's just a stump. Among the writers and talking with Aya, we're like, 'Well, what is going to happen to Stumpfront?' So we'll see."

Amazon has yet to announce a premiere date for The Boys season 3.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@fonzerrillii

The Boys season 3 gets even wilder by adding a salacious comic book character

The NSFW Amazon superhero satire added a character with one of the craziest moments from the comics.
By Nick Romano
March 26, 2021 at 01:39 PM EDT

It's hard to think about how much crazier The Boys season 3 could get when it already has plans for a giant days-long orgy among supes, but it very much is and we'll tell you how.

Joining the ranks of newcomers to the show, which includes Jensen Ackles' debut as Soldier Boy, is Dexter and Sleepy Hollow actress Katia Winter, EW has learned.

Winter will guest star in season 3 in the role of Little Nina from the Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson comics, and she's just as wild as the rest of these outrageous characters.

Little Nina is a Russian mob boss who got her name because she is rather short. Like, really short. She worked with Vought, using a lesser version of the company's Compound-V formula to create more supes. The only issue was that the heads of her subjects kept exploding.

Keeping with the NSFW antics of The Boys, Little Nina also has a fondness for sex toys, particularly vibrators. Her death is one of the most shocking, pearl-clutching moments in the entire comics because — POTENTIAL SPOILER WARNING — she's killed when Billy Butcher (Karl Urban's character on the show) sneaks a detonator inside one of her vibrators and blows it up while she's using it on a plane.

Yeah. It sure is something alright, but also totally on par with the kind of things viewers have come to see from the show. Remember, this is the same series that depicted a supe accidentally popping open a man's head during cunnilingus.

Katia Winter joining 'The Boys,' starring Karl Urban.

Showrunner Eric Kripke and his cast have been busy filming The Boys season 3 in Canada since late February. Urban, Jack Quaid, Erin Moriarty, Antony Starr, Karen Fukuhara, and the gang are returning for a new story that tackles the history of Vought in America. That includes the story of Payback, the world's first premiere team of superheroes before the Seven was formed. Ackles' Soldier Boy was the leader of that group.

Aya Cash, who starred as Stormfront in season 2, recently told EW she's probably not coming back for season 3. "I'm not there now," she said. "I'm on a new Fox show now called This Country. My contract for The Boys was only for a year so, who knows? Maybe they can CGI my face in."
But we do have Claudia Doumit taking on an expanded role as Congresswoman Neuman after that literally mind-blowing reveal in season 2.

Meanwhile, Amazon continues to develop a Boys spin-off series, which is casting up.
Deadline was the first to report Winter's casting.