TV: HBO executive takes the blame for True Detective 2nd season failure UPDATE! 4rd Season w/ Jodie Foster!

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Damn, no season 3

I was wondering why I wasn't hearing any news of casting or anything

Were the ratings that bad? I'm sure it cost a pretty penny to put together, but damn...Vince Vaughn was probably the main one they were paying...but he was terribly miscast

HBO is fucking up. GOT is down to it's last year. I don't watch shit else on that channel.

I really think they were in it for a one and done, but the buzz was so great for the show and it did so well they were forced to throw something together.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
True Detective Season 3 May Happen After All

26-true-detective.w529.h529.jpg

Time is a flat circle, and so is the question ofTrue Detective’s third season. HBO’s new programming chief Casey Bloys announced at HBO’s Television Critics Association press day that a new season is very much a possibility, despite news to the contrary back in May, when a Hollywood Reporter profile of Bloys hinted it was unlikely the franchise would continue.

“It is not dead, but there’s no take on a third season yet,” Bloys said, addressing press at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills. He added that he was open to someone else writing a third season with creator Nic Pizzolatto — who signed a rich development deal with the channel last year — supervising the series. True Detective premiered in 2014 to much critical and Emmy-nominated acclaim and then quickly lost its luster in its second season, when many took issue with Pizzolatto’s writing. Former HBO head of programming Michael Lombardo asked viewers to blame him, not Pizzolatto, for rushing the process.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...rshala-Ali-confirmed-star-True-Detective.html

By Dailymail.com Reporter

Published: 06:18 BST, 1 September 2017 | Updated: 09:34 BST, 1 September 2017

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...i-confirmed-star-True-Detective.html#comments
HBO's True Detective is set to return for a third installment.

The premium cable channel confirmed the news Thursday and announced that Oscar winner Mahershala Ali has signed on as the show's lead.

The actor, 43, will play a detective from Northwest Arkansas who investigates a macabre crime that takes place in the Ozarks.

43C6437E00000578-0-image-a-40_1504240353717.jpg

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Cottonmouth meets Deacon Frost

True Detective season 3 adds Stephen Dorff as Mahershala Ali's partner

HBO started moving forward with a third season of True Detective, getting Mahershala Ali to star and Green Room’s Jeremy Saulnier to direct, and now HBO is finally doing something again. According to Variety, HBO has enlisted Stephen Dorff to play Roland West, an Arkansas State Investigator who works alongside Ali’s character and who has been dealing with the impact of a “baffling crime” for three decades. That makes it sound like this new storyline will have some direct similarities to the show’s first season, which would be a little disappointing if that first season hadn’t been so good.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
30-Jeremy-Saulnier.w190.h190.jpg

Director Jeremy Saulnier Leaves True Detective Season 3 After Two Episodes

A season of True Detective starring Mahershala Ali and directed by The Green Room’s Jeremy Saulnier did sound almost too good to be true, but don’t worry: you’ll still get two full episodes of it. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Blue Ruin director has had to exit the third season of the HBO crime drama due to “scheduling issues.” Saulnier was initially set to trade off directing duties with series creator Nic Pizzolatto.

As a network spokesperson explained a statement Friday, “Director and executive producer Jeremy Saulnier has completed the first two episodes of True Detective season 3 and will be departing the production due to scheduling issues. Daniel Sackheim has come on board as a director and executive producer for the series alongside series creator and director Nic Pizzolatto.” Sackheim, a TV veteran who has directed multiple episodes of The Americans, Game of Thrones and The Leftovers, will step in for the rest of the season. True Detective Season 3 is currently set to debut sometime next year, provided everyone starts buckling down and focusing on what really matters here: murders, presumably some real weird ones.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/director-jeremy-saulnier-leaves-true-detective-season-3.html

dirkthesuave

Rising Star
Registered
It was lite in contrast to season one but if it wouldn't have come on the tails of season 1 it would have been better received. Holding out hope for season 3.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
Director Jeremy Saulnier Leaves True Detective Season 3 After Two Episodes

A season of True Detective starring Mahershala Ali and directed by The Green Room’s Jeremy Saulnier did sound almost too good to be true, but don’t worry: you’ll still get two full episodes of it. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Blue Ruin director has had to exit the third season of the HBO crime drama due to “scheduling issues.” Saulnier was initially set to trade off directing duties with series creator Nic Pizzolatto.

As a network spokesperson explained a statement Friday, “Director and executive producer Jeremy Saulnier has completed the first two episodes of True Detective season 3 and will be departing the production due to scheduling issues. Daniel Sackheim has come on board as a director and executive producer for the series alongside series creator and director Nic Pizzolatto.” Sackheim, a TV veteran who has directed multiple episodes of The Americans, Game of Thrones and The Leftovers, will step in for the rest of the season. True Detective Season 3 is currently set to debut sometime next year, provided everyone starts buckling down and focusing on what really matters here: murders, presumably some real weird ones.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/director-jeremy-saulnier-leaves-true-detective-season-3.html

damn

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
gallery-1475481555-0443-tiara-102-unit-06703r.jpeg

This was the big news piece that got us hopingVariety broke the news in July 2017 that Mahershala Ali, the Oscar-winning star of Moonlight, was in talks with HBO to join the cast of True Detective season 3. Which is obviously very exciting.

His involvement was officially confirmed later that month - with word coming from HBO in September that he'd be playing Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

Ray Fisher - DC's Cyborg in Justice League - will play Freddy Burns in the show's latest season, the son of Ali's character.

gallery-1519920372-gettyimages-875102156.jpg

Alien: Covenant's Carmen Ejogo has also joined the cast as schoolteacher Amelia Reardon, who helps Wayne (Ali) investigate the disappearance of two children in the '80s.

Then there's Scoot McNairy of Halt and Catch Fire fame, cast a character called Tom: a father who suffers a terrible loss that will connect him to the decades-long investigations of two state-police detectives.

Mamie Gummer has bagged the role of Lucy Purcell, a young mother of two who is at the centre of a tragic crime, while Brandon Flynn - who plays Justin Foley on 13 Reasons Why - will recur on True Detective as a character named Ryan Peters.

Michael Graziadei (American Horror Story, Kingdom) has also joined in a recurring part as Dan O'Brien.

Joining them will be Stephen Dorff - best known for playing the vampire villain in Blade or as the abusive boyfriend in Britney Spears' 'Everytime' video, depending on your mileage.

Dorff will be playing Roland West, an Arkansas State Investigator who has had his entire life and career moulded by the central mystery.

gallery-1516107382-gettyimages-900163494.jpg

Behind the camera, Jeremy Saulnier – director of ace crime movies Green Room and Blue Ruin – will direct along with series creator Nic Pizzolatto.

"I'm tremendously thrilled to be working with artists at the level of Mahershala and Jeremy. I hope the material can do justice to their talents, and we're all very excited to tell this story," Pizzolatto enthused.

gallery_ustv_true-detective-ep-5.jpg

HBO has confirmed that True Detective won't returns to our screens till 2019 - with an official launch date yet to be confirmed.

HBO held off from officially announcing the third season for the longest time. What we do know is that Pizzolatto has teamed up with Deadwood creator David Milch to shape the season's narrative.

Two scripts were written – presumably as proof of concept – before a continuation of the series was confirmed by the cable network.

An official synopsis reads: "The next instalment of True Detective tells the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods."

Pizzolatto will write the entire season, though working with Milch on the script for the (presumably pviotal) fourth episode.

gallery_ustv-true-detective-s01e04-who-goes-there-still-05.jpg

When True Detective was announced as a concept, it was as an anthology series, in which the cast and cases would change from season to season, meaning that season 1's finale was definitely the last we'd ever see of Rust and Marty.

Or, um, was it? After the failure of season 2, we would totally understand if Nic Pizzolatto wanted to lean on the incredible characters he created in that perfect first season. And one of them is definitely keen to return.

"I've talked to Nic about it," McConaughey said. "It would have to be the right context, the right way.

"I miss Rust Cohle, man. I miss watching him on Sunday nights. I miss watching True Detective on Sunday nights... I was a happy man when we made that for six months."

gallery_showbiz-emmy-awards-2014-woody-harrelson-matthew-mcconaughey.jpg

Don't expect McConaughey's co-star Woody Harrelson to make a comeback of his own, though. "I don't see me doing that," he told Yahoo! Entertainment.

"No. Because it went very well the first time and if we come back around to it, what else are you going to hear but, 'Not as good! Just wasn't as good. Boy, you guys were good before, but this time…' I don't want to even hear that."

gallery-1493290500-true-detective-long-take.jpg

It seems strange to be even discussing the idea of a True Detective season 3, when the harsh reaction to season 2 made that seem impossible, before that instalment had even finished airing.

Last year, that decision looked official, as HBO moved Pizzolatto onto different projects under his development deal, including a Perry Mason reboot with Robert Downey Jr.

Former HBO programming president Michael Lombardo was critical of True Detective season 2, even if he didn't call it an outright failure.

"Our biggest failures – and I don't know if I would consider True Detective 2 a failure – but when we tell somebody to hit an air date as opposed to allowing the writing to find its own natural resting place, when it's ready, when it's baked – we've failed," Lombardo admitted.

But something's clearly changed at HBO. Luckily, it looks like the channel, and Pizzolatto, are taking more time this time around.
"I have read five scripts for a third season," HBO programming present Casey Bloys told reporters in July. "I'm very, very impressed and excited about what I've read. I don't want to give away the storyline, but I really think they're terrific."

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/true-d...tive-season-3-cast-release-date-rust-affleck/

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Season 2 wasn't horrible, its just season 1 set the bar soooooooooo fucking high!! It was edge of your seat shit and Woody and Matthew turned in outstanding performances. I watch that season 3 plus times a year

Agreed. That first season was really solid. The running joke with many fans/critics was "good luck to all future True Detective casts following that ..."

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Agreed and the mystique you get with Louisiana as a backdrop is unfuckwithable. Season one will be tough to match.

Yeah - they definitely did some of their best acting work there. Cool knowing they are friends off-camera too ... so it makes their on-screen chemistry more believable as well. I'm glad there are so many good TV series and miniseries to choose from nowadays. Movies feel rushed by comparison at 90 - 150 minutes. I'd rather see a good story told over the course of 6 - 12 gripping episodes on AMC, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Netflix, etc.