TV Discussion: New series by Donald Glover - Atlanta UPDATE: FINAL 4th Season Sept 2022!

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

What does the last scene mean for the rest of the series? I’ve got no idea. Is it a commentary on Black men in general, biracial men in particular, or even Donald himself (he of “Are you afraid of Black women” and possible-Asian-fetish fame)? Maybe it’s a statement on Black artistry and the draw and danger of the mainstream—read: white—gaze? Maybe it’s about the inevitable fruitlessness of both racial passing and racial performance, of trying to outwit two kinds of inheritance?

So he didn't get it either....:rolleyes::giggle:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anybody else felt the American History X vibe to this episode?
Higher learning more for me

That and the Netflix movie Passing
8bd9fa68-8d36-4dc2-82ed-80d444a4e8f6_1.9a924486b853308726c29f2f21632c87.jpeg

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nah I write these in depth analysis for YEARS on here bro YEARS

I'm old I gotta pick my spots

This was at least to me so damn clear cut.

Anyone who don't see it?

Ain't never gonna

So why bother?

Imma chill

If I see some good breakdown I might join in.

Why don't you give your thoughts
i did

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'm thinking, the young lady in the store with Aaron appeared to be the only black female with onscreen time?

I guess but if THAT was what this critic decided to focus on or even call some attention too?

That's the last thing of their's I am ever reading.

Cause there were black girls at the school and on all the social media posts shown.

And damn near every other race was shown plus a member of the LGBTQ + community

If that person main concern was keeping count of all that?

I don't care at all about their opinions on anything going forward

And if they REALLY watched this episode closely? It would have exposed their own bullsh*t so they could do some serious self reflection.

November 17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I guess but if THAT was what this critic decided to focus on or even call some attention too?

That's the last thing of their's I am ever reading.

Cause there were black girls at the school and on all the social media posts shown.

And damn near every other race was shown plus a member of the LGBTQ + community

If that person main concern was keeping count of all that?

I don't care at all about their opinions on anything going forward

And if they REALLY watched this episode closely? It would have exposed their own bullsh*t so they could do some serious self reflection.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lex Pryor wrote this article. He appears to be a black male, and might be somewhat of a "male feminist." In the article he called Kevin Samuels a misogynist.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lex Pryor wrote this article. He appears to be a black male, and might be somewhat of a "male feminist." In the article he called Kevin Samuels a misogynist.

Wow I actually missed that part

Listen it's his column his review his opinion

Ain't nothing wrong supporting women

Especially black women

I thought that some of the observations were off and smacked of effort

And he just seemed a little lost in his review.

The episode wasn't perfect

And he seemed to get the message but pulled a muscle trying to dumb it down or explain it

Instead of saying how HE felt the episode hit in my opinion. I would have to read it again

I won't

But to be fair he kinda admitted early he was a little lost on it

So whatever.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
these one off episodes are never always unexpected
its been a long time since we got a new season of ATLANTA and we want to see the adventures of the main crew...(Van barely been in the season)

with that said I am thoroughly enjoying this one off episodes. Truly funny while addressing some legit issues about race that arent discussed on tv
I just dont think these episodes are Atlanta, perhaps anthology series by Glover or something else.

but i'm enjoy all the Atlanta and 'Black Mirror' Atlanta episodes we get
cause there is nothing truly like this on tv

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just watched "poor wigga" with the Mrs.....

She was like, ole girl and his friends didn't know he was black?.... I said look how he was dressed, how he talked, hell the way he was timid/ pulling his clothes in front of the "panel".....he had no swag, confidence or true identity.

Then "one year later," he had earrings, cut his hair, changed up his vernacular....dude had swagger and ole girl saw it too.

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just watched "poor wigga" with the Mrs.....

She was like, ole girl and his friends didn't know he was black?.... I said look how he was dressed, how he talked, hell the way he was timid/ pulling his clothes in front of the "panel".....he had no swaf, confidence or true identity.

Then "one year later," he had earing, cut his hair, changed up his vernacular....dude had swagger and ole girl saw it too.
all that said is that old girl was into black dudes... LOL

but here's an NQR...how the hell was she dating him yet never saw his parents?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
all that said is that old girl was into black dudes... LOL

but here's an NQR...how the hell was she dating him yet never saw his parents?

It happens. Its not like back in the day.

Also apparently the mother was either dead or gone.

And the father always seemed to be working

And the father seemed to be OK with the passing phase his kid was going through especially if it's beneficial.

Last edited:

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Saw it was two sumn hours and had to cut it lol

they offer you any additional insights?

Mostly checkin back to see if episode is more enjoyable for you now?

it was hands down the funniest for me of season so far

Pac moments of 302 were lol for me - when they played that “Hail Mary” in particular lmao

but no doubt this one had most laughs packed in

very good imo to have BOTH the 304 reparations theme which was clearly geared towards and from a white male perspective AND have this 309 joint from a young niggas perspective

one thing I did hear the brothers from your link say I agree with completely is that NO show etc is posing these questions.

— everybody here can more than speak for themselves but when I say an episode is “good/great/etc”… I mean it balanced entertainment with some real ass questions.

I don’t need answers.

I need entertainment AND a perspective that doesn’t piss me off bec it’s not coming from someone who doesn’t have to consider all the things a nigga has to consider just to survive let alone strive to thrive in this mutherfucker

I get more than enough of all the above from ATLANTA every episode. but for me this is one that got the balance almost as well as any they’ve done

November 17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Does anybody know who sent Earn that bag in the last scene? And why did it contain a photo of white Earnest, who shot himself in the head and fell in the swimming pool (Episode 4, The Big Payback)? He was a also the "white" ghost in the boat on Lake Lanier (Episode 1, Three Slaps).