Trailer: Shang Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
That first comment says it all.

However dreadful the first one was, it's probable it was an expository entry; just introducing characters and open-ended storylines. The second should tighten all that up and focus on other things and tie into other MCU characters.

And get rid of Awkwafina with the quickness.
With all due respect, the MCU has only delivered one (maybe two) sequel(s) that was better or even on par with the first. They won't get rid of Aquafina because they made her a main supporting character for Shang Chi.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
With all due respect, the MCU has only delivered one (maybe two) sequel(s) that was better or even on par with the first. They won't get rid of Aquafina because they made her a main supporting character for Shang Chi.

The thing is the MCU is a continuing and evolving storyline. Its sequels are not like traditional sequels at all. Their primary job is to advance the storyline/arc(s). Then introduce new characters. If audiences like them, so much the better. But they always lead up to some big event. There's really no need for them to be better than their predecessors.
In the case of Shang Chi, we've been introduced to the protagonist and some other players who may or may not stick around. We've been shown how his powers work more or less, and why. This was necessary because not many people even knew who the hell he was. And even less cared. The movie was formulaic and dreary but it served its purpose.

Oh, yeah. They can drop Awkwafina in a heartbeat. It wouldn't be the first time they severely reduced a character's screen time and eventually they were just gone. It depends on audience reaction. Feige is very aware of what the stans say. I can't remember any positives about her in the movie. To me she was just the bridge between his white-world present and his asian-world heritage. But all that was addressed when they went to...wherever it was with the dragon and shit. In other words, her job is done. She's of no use now and she's horrible in the role. Or any role I've seen.

my .02.

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
Wait...
Y'all ain't like Shang Chi either?

I think at this point it's cool to hate Marvel or people just burnt out on them.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That first comment says it all.

However dreadful the first one was, it's probable it was an expository entry; just introducing characters and open-ended storylines. The second should tighten all that up and focus on other things and tie into other MCU characters.

And get rid of Awkwafina with the quickness.

Co sign all this

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The thing is the MCU is a continuing and evolving storyline. Its sequels are not like traditional sequels at all. Their primary job is to advance the storyline/arc(s). Then introduce new characters. If audiences like them, so much the better. But they always lead up to some big event. There's really no need for them to be better than their predecessors.
In the case of Shang Chi, we've been introduced to the protagonist and some other players who may or may not stick around. We've been shown how his powers work more or less, and why. This was necessary because not many people even knew who the hell he was. And even less cared. The movie was formulaic and dreary but it served its purpose.

Oh, yeah. They can drop Awkwafina in a heartbeat. It wouldn't be the first time they severely reduced a character's screen time and eventually they were just gone. It depends on audience reaction. Feige is very aware of what the stans say. I can't remember any positives about her in the movie. To me she was just the bridge between his white-world present and his asian-world heritage. But all that was addressed when they went to...wherever it was with the dragon and shit. In other words, her job is done. She's of no use now and she's horrible in the role. Or any role I've seen.

my .02.

I think they need to drop awkwafina...

I want them to, they should

But I don't think they will

People apparently liked their chemistry a lot
And she went full zero dark 30 the last year because we were gearing up to cancel her finally and even her own peeps were silent. It was a smart tactic. Getting dumped from that franchise would be a career killer. She just took an extended vacation and waited it out. It may have worked.

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
Wait...

I think at this point it's cool to hate Marvel or people just burnt out on them.
Marvel is in a dangerous position...its the curse of success...everything gets extra scrutinized and everybody is a critic in the social media era...it doesnt help that Marvel seems too obvious in pushing a feminist agenda....thats the kind of thing thats should be done more subtly

They are doing all this while getting into real geek territory, multiverses etc...with the exception of Eternals, all their recent movies have been fine to me....the new Thor movie is ehhh and a step back from Ragnorak which I really enjoyed

They also seem to be everywhere which is always tricky as a new Marvel project is no longer a big event

The good thing for them is that Hollywood is stinking up the joint overall and not giving Marvel any real competition

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
Wait...

Hated It? Naw. I definitely can not say that. I would it's not memorable. It is about as memorable as the mortal combat movie.

Its some movies that you can watch repeatedly. Shang Chi isn't one of them. Although I a do have a flight in a few days. I may load it up and watch it again with fresh eyes.

DWBass

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I actually liked Awkwafina. I liked the way her character took a turn as she became an archer! I hope she stays. Her role will probably be a bit more serious in the second film.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I kinda agree. I thought she was gonna be more annoying that she was.

I actually liked Awkwafina. I liked the way her character took a turn as she became an archer! I hope she stays. Her role will probably be a bit more serious in the second film.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Shang-Chi’ Star Simu Liu Blasts Celebrity Look-a-Like Choice At NBA All-Star Weekend
By Bruce Haring
Bruce Haring

February 18, 2023 12:45pm

Simu LiuSsam Kim
Simu Liu has tweeted out his displeasure at being compared to an Asian man in a “celebrity look-a-like” segment simply because of their coethnic background.
The incident happened at the NBA’s Celebrity All-Star game on Friday night.
“I had a great time but this wasn’t cool,” the “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” star tweeted.
His complaint came after a side-by-side shot of him and an Asian man was displayed on the Jumbotron at the game, which is being held in Utah (see below).
RELATED STORY
'Shang-Chi' Star Simu Liu Slams Quentin Tarantino's Take On Marvel, Says Golden Age Of Hollywood "Was White As Hell"

Fans backed Liu’s complaint.
“ Let’s pick random Asian dude’ smdh,” tweeted one fan, while another wrote, “This is so bad in many ways.”

Another had a sharper take. “The issue here is that they have no similar characteristics other than being Asian. Usually when they do this bit, there’s SOMETHING to connect. Haircut, beard, build, something. This is literally just playing into the ‘all Asians look alike’ stereotype.”
Liu today tweeted that he wasn’t blaming the NBA for the incident.
“To be perfectly clear, the entire org and ops team surrounding all-star have been nothing but absolutely stellar to myself and all my friends.
“This was just one person with a camera. and no disrespect to my man in the videotron either! he’s gorgeous we just don’t look alike.”

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
‘Shang-Chi’ Star Simu Liu Blasts Celebrity Look-a-Like Choice At NBA All-Star Weekend
By Bruce Haring
Bruce Haring

February 18, 2023 12:45pm

Simu LiuSsam Kim
Simu Liu has tweeted out his displeasure at being compared to an Asian man in a “celebrity look-a-like” segment simply because of their coethnic background.
The incident happened at the NBA’s Celebrity All-Star game on Friday night.
“I had a great time but this wasn’t cool,” the “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” star tweeted.
His complaint came after a side-by-side shot of him and an Asian man was displayed on the Jumbotron at the game, which is being held in Utah (see below).
RELATED STORY
'Shang-Chi' Star Simu Liu Slams Quentin Tarantino's Take On Marvel, Says Golden Age Of Hollywood "Was White As Hell"

Fans backed Liu’s complaint.
“ Let’s pick random Asian dude’ smdh,” tweeted one fan, while another wrote, “This is so bad in many ways.”

Another had a sharper take. “The issue here is that they have no similar characteristics other than being Asian. Usually when they do this bit, there’s SOMETHING to connect. Haircut, beard, build, something. This is literally just playing into the ‘all Asians look alike’ stereotype.”
Liu today tweeted that he wasn’t blaming the NBA for the incident.
“To be perfectly clear, the entire org and ops team surrounding all-star have been nothing but absolutely stellar to myself and all my friends.
“This was just one person with a camera. and no disrespect to my man in the videotron either! he’s gorgeous we just don’t look alike.”

I'm not mad at him for this. While it seems that asians hold more similarities than other ethnicities, other asians can see clearly that they look nothing alike. When i was deployed, me and another black dude in the platoon were called each other and we looked NOTHING alike. It wasn't even like it was done by the First Sergeant, this was our own platoon sgt doing this. :angry:

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Lolz I was watching Fists of Fury/The Big Boss over the weekend. Have watched the film hundreds of times. In the big brawl at the ice factory, I always lose track on who the good guys and bad guys are... All of those Asian dudes look the same to me.

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
While you may have a point in other regards....in this case he has a point ..... that other dude is just a random ass Asian dude that looked nothing like him
Have you seen other look alike videos at NBA games? It's always like that. White, black, Asian or otherwise. Sometimes they'll even compare someone to a cartoon character like a minion or something. It's supposed to be bad on purpose so that you laugh, That's the joke.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Some directors can make a movie HORRIBLE! You can have Denzel, Al Pacino, Chadwick, Robert Duval, Daniel Day Lewis and Robert DeNiro and if your director is Michael Bay...all these powerhouse actors don't mean shyt if you can't direct them properly. This article just makes it seem like she's there for the notoriety of being a black female director of a big budget movie