Trailer: Antebellum

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just another exploitive film about slavery?

PRAISE: This story of a succesful author Veronica Henleywho finds herself trapped in a horrifying reality that forces her to confront the past, present and future -- before it's too late stars Janelle Monae who not only turns in a terrific performance but the camera truly loves her and her curves which i also loved !!
Gabourey Sidibe gratefully adds doses of humor.
The rest of the cast including Eric Lange,Jena Malone,Jack Huston and
Kiersey Clemons bring enough to the table to uplift the script.
Definitely not as terrible as some critics made it out to be and the scenes of slavery are harrowing but definitely not as brutal and lingering as the scenes in 12 Years a Slave.I actually found the film moving here and there.
There is a lot that works in this i didn't even mind when the film shifts gears a few times.
I do understand problems people have with the imagery i mean how many times are we supposed to accept slavery in films as entertainment and pay for it?
On the other hand will we or future generations slowly forget the horrors of slavery if films like this aren't made? Maybe we still need these images in films like this especially for people that say : well slavery wasn't that bad.
I wouldn't say this film is really horror but there are horrible characters in it.

PROBLEMS: There is a lack of character development so much so I think this would have worked better as a series. The back stories of certain characters are barely spoken of and it was actually frustrating.
The plot twist is mixed bag for me because some of it has been seen in half a dozen streaming shows and movies but the film does weave in some unique threads.
ANTEBƎLLUM is not great but not as over the top exploitive and bad as i thought it would be.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
The slave had on a gold chain. Come on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :smh:

8IbOT7.jpg

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
The slave had on a gold chain. Come on.
That was the point. Think about it. these white folks were trying to RE-CREATE slavery on a plantation. Not all details they got right. They were trying to force the black folks to accept a way of life, they would neve accept because they understood they were not slaves at all. The gold chain was another clue that not all is what you think it may be.