Tiffany Haddish, Viola Davis, Andre Braugher, Jay Pharoah, Asante Blackk & Corinne Foxx Set For ABC’s ‘Good Times’ Live Special

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
Tiffany Haddish, Viola Davis, Andre Braugher, Jay Pharoah, Asante Blackk & Corinne Foxx Set For ABC’s ‘Good Times’ Live Special

tiffany-haddish-viola-davis-andre-braugher-jay-pharoah-asante-blackk-corinne-foxx.jpg

Tiffany Haddish, Viola Davis, Andre Braugher, Jay Pharoah, Asante Blackk and Corinne Foxx are set for ABC’s Live In Front Of A Studio AudienceAll in the Family’ and ‘Good Times,’ a live staging of the Norman Lear sitcom classics.

The six will take on the roles first portrayed in the iconic sitcom Good Times, with Davis and Braugher as Florida Evans and James Evans, Pharoah as J.J Evans, Blackk as Michael Evans, Foxx as Thelma Evans and Haddish recreating the role of Willona Woods. Jharrel Jerome is also confirmed to join the cast in an unspecified role. Additionally, ABC’s Anthony Anderson and Patti LaBelle will perform the theme song live.

Previously announced cast members taking on the All in the Family roles include Woody Harrelson, Marisa Tomei, Ellie Kemper and Ike Barinholtz who are set to reprise their iconic roles as Archie and Edith Bunker, Gloria Stivic and Meathead, along with Kevin Bacon, Jesse Eisenberg and Justina Machado whose roles will be announced live.

Earlier this year, Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear’s ‘All in the Family’ and ‘The Jeffersons’ was nominated for three Emmy Awards, and took home the prize for Outstanding Variety Special (Live).

The May 22 special averaged 14.29 million total viewers and a 2.86 rating in adults 18-49 across all platforms after 35 days of TV playback and reached 23.5 million total viewers for its original Wednesday broadcast and two encore airings on Saturday, May 25, and Saturday, Aug. 17.

The new holiday-inspired live event produced by Sony Pictures Television, will reunite executive producers Lear, Jimmy Kimmel, Brent Miller, Will Ferrell and Justin Theroux, along with Kerry Washington, who portrayed Helen Willis of The Jeffersons in the original special in the spring. Washington will join as an executive producer.

Live In Front Of A Studio Audience ‘All in the Family’ and ‘Good Times’ will air Wednesday, December 18 at 8 PM ET/PT on ABC.

live-in-front-of-a-studio-audience-2.jpg

Last edited:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good Times was and is one of my favorite shows!

With that said, I can’t wait to not watch! :lol:

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
To be honest now that I've had a moment to get over my Tiffany Haddish dislike, this cast is not that bad!
Jay will definitely kill it, and that guy playing Michael is up for an Emmy for "When They See Us" so he has talent.
We all know Corrine got her role because her dad played George Jefferson in the last cast, but maybe she'll surprise us.

Monique would have been perfect for this role too. I wonder who she pissed of in hollyweird. For her to be blackballed like this.
Man ain't nobody in Black Hollywood or White Hollywood fucking with Monique. It would be a shorter list to ask who she "hasn't" pissed off. And I can't see Monique as Willona - maybe Bookman... :p

SOMMORE on the other hand would have been a great choice over Tiffany. Monique should take note - Sommore self-produces all of her comedy specials then sells them to Showtime and other networks. Google her - she's fully booked with arena shows every weekend from now thru April.

keith6

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Tiffany Haddish has one hell of an agent. She has zero talent and not funny at all yet she continues to get work. On a side note jamie Foxx daughter is sexy af

Her agent doesn't have to be much because they always pick one black they like then the studios try to put them in everything until the next black they like comes along. But yeah no talent

wwetv100

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Her agent doesn't have to be much because they always pick one black they like then the studios try to put them in everything until the next black they like comes along. But yeah no talent

Funny because those 70's show seemed to have the same people on all the black shows lol. Example is Ed The Whino on Good Times and then the drunk husband of Esther on Sanford and Son lol. Then at times sometimes an actor would appear twice on the same series in different roles and I'll say to myself was there a shortage of black actors or something lol.

This was not needed.

That damn Trump mess just ruined it for me going back and forth in commercials although quite ironic wit the episode's theme. I missed the start with the intro (although a clip I saw seemed weird with that screen).

The real show is still one of my faves I STILL watch today so seeing this I don't know. I won't say much more for those who didn't see it yet.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
John Amos says reuniting with Norman Lear for Live in Front of a Studio Audience was a 'blessing'

By Rosy Cordero
December 19, 2019 at 09:26 PM EST
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.
FBTwitterMore
ERIC MCCANDLESS/ABC
John Amos may be days away from celebrating his 80th birthday, but so many of his wishes have already come true. On Tuesday night, he was reunited with legendary television producer Norman Lear, and former Good Times co-stars Bern Nadette Stanis, Jimmie Walker, and Ja’net Dubois on ABC’s Live In Front of a Studio Audience.
Amos, who continues to act and is also a children’s book author, spoke to EW about his big return to the world of the popular 1970s show that he departed after its third season due to creative differences with Lear.
ERIC MCCANDLESS/ABC
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: It was a total surprise to see you return to Good Times for this TV special. How did it come about?
JOHN AMOS:
I was informed that they were doing Live in Front of a Studio Audience, where they’d be doing a recapitulation of a Good Times episode. That meant working with Norman Lear again, which was like a quadruple blessing. Norman and I have a history that goes back a number of decades. He literally changed the face of television for all time. He’s the most creative person I’ve ever worked with in my career, and I feel so blessed to have been able to work with him again.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
You and Mr. Lear had a very public falling out after your contract was not renewed after the show’s third season. Is that all water under the bridge?
Oh yeah! We dealt with our differences a number of years ago. In fact, I went on to do at least three other pilots for him. They all could’ve been very successful if they had been handled the right way by the media. Norman was one of the most dominant and creative forces on television at the time. He had several of the top 10 shows at the time, and there were some people that were quite jealous of him. They showed their jealousy by not showing support for his shows that they should’ve received.
One way or the other, we resolved our differences. There were other relationships that we had that culminated last night. I was very fortunate to be alive to do another episode of Good Times. Oddly enough, I was playing opposite the character that I had played on the original show. It was such a wonderful reunion with Norman and his creative staff.

When you walked onto the set, you were met face to face by Andre Braugher who was playing the role you made famous all those years ago. How did you feel?
It was so surreal! It was the first time I ever played opposite a character that I’d played for a number of years. And to have Andre Braugher playing James couldn’t have been more of a compliment. He’s an accomplished actor who I worked with on Shakespeare in the Park. It was a wonderful experience working with Andre back then, and again last night.

How do you think the rest of the cast did?
Viola [Davis] was just wonderful in the role of Florida. Everyone really did such a great job. It was thanks to Tiffany Haddish, who played Willona, that I was able to celebrate my birthday with so many great people that night. My 80th birthday is two days after Christmas, but she made sure that it was a celebration for me early.

I really felt a tremendous outpouring of love. I was in tears for most of the night, but they were tears of joy.

ERIC MCCANDLESS/ABC
It was also a reunion between you and your former co-stars. How long had it been since you all last saw each other?
Bern Nadette and I have seen each other recently. She tours the country with her husband, who is quite an accomplished businessman, where she meets with numerous military personnel with her now three books. She’s become a wonderful author. And I work with her and her husband doing the same thing for the military, which is important to me being an ex-military man myself.

Fans are in for another treat from you in 2020 when you reprise your role win Coming to America 2. What has Cleo McDowell been up to after all these years?
It’s been so exciting to be back working with Eddie Murphy again. Working with him as an actor has been a supreme joy. He’s a consummate artist, transitioning from one character to another with such flawless ease. He’s a study in how to act and how to be a successful comic.

Being reunited with Eddie, Arsenio [Hall], and James Earl Jones was such a privilege.

With so many of your wishes already having come true, what did you wish for when you blew our your candles?
I wished that everyone watching the episode last night really enjoyed it, as well as all the other work that I’ve done throughout my career. I wish that all the love and happiness we felt doing that episode was shared with those at home. I wish everyone a peaceful and happy New Year. Right now, we really need love and respect for each other now more than we ever have in this country’s history.

When I started in this industry, I was a writer. I feel that I’ve finally come full circle now that I’ve written my children’s book called A World Without Color. I have no plans to retire, but I’ll be pulling back a little bit just to enjoy my children and my grandchildren, and to enjoy life. I’m living in Colorado in a very low profile fashion. But I am involved and have access to the local theatrical groups that have some fine young actors of all ages in it from my local area.

So I will continue to work until I can’t work anymore. Norman is still working well into his nineties. He makes me feel like I’m just getting started.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This gonna make these young kids appreciate how hard these actors worked on these sit coms to bring the funny on the regular

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
John Amos says reuniting with Norman Lear for Live in Front of a Studio Audience was a 'blessing'

By Rosy Cordero
December 19, 2019 at 09:26 PM EST
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.
FBTwitterMore
ERIC MCCANDLESS/ABC
John Amos may be days away from celebrating his 80th birthday, but so many of his wishes have already come true. On Tuesday night, he was reunited with legendary television producer Norman Lear, and former Good Times co-stars Bern Nadette Stanis, Jimmie Walker, and Ja’net Dubois on ABC’s Live In Front of a Studio Audience.
Amos, who continues to act and is also a children’s book author, spoke to EW about his big return to the world of the popular 1970s show that he departed after its third season due to creative differences with Lear.
ERIC MCCANDLESS/ABC
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: It was a total surprise to see you return to Good Times for this TV special. How did it come about?
JOHN AMOS:
I was informed that they were doing Live in Front of a Studio Audience, where they’d be doing a recapitulation of a Good Times episode. That meant working with Norman Lear again, which was like a quadruple blessing. Norman and I have a history that goes back a number of decades. He literally changed the face of television for all time. He’s the most creative person I’ve ever worked with in my career, and I feel so blessed to have been able to work with him again.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
You and Mr. Lear had a very public falling out after your contract was not renewed after the show’s third season. Is that all water under the bridge?
Oh yeah! We dealt with our differences a number of years ago. In fact, I went on to do at least three other pilots for him. They all could’ve been very successful if they had been handled the right way by the media. Norman was one of the most dominant and creative forces on television at the time. He had several of the top 10 shows at the time, and there were some people that were quite jealous of him. They showed their jealousy by not showing support for his shows that they should’ve received.
One way or the other, we resolved our differences. There were other relationships that we had that culminated last night. I was very fortunate to be alive to do another episode of Good Times. Oddly enough, I was playing opposite the character that I had played on the original show. It was such a wonderful reunion with Norman and his creative staff.

When you walked onto the set, you were met face to face by Andre Braugher who was playing the role you made famous all those years ago. How did you feel?
It was so surreal! It was the first time I ever played opposite a character that I’d played for a number of years. And to have Andre Braugher playing James couldn’t have been more of a compliment. He’s an accomplished actor who I worked with on Shakespeare in the Park. It was a wonderful experience working with Andre back then, and again last night.

How do you think the rest of the cast did?
Viola [Davis] was just wonderful in the role of Florida. Everyone really did such a great job. It was thanks to Tiffany Haddish, who played Willona, that I was able to celebrate my birthday with so many great people that night. My 80th birthday is two days after Christmas, but she made sure that it was a celebration for me early.

I really felt a tremendous outpouring of love. I was in tears for most of the night, but they were tears of joy.

ERIC MCCANDLESS/ABC
It was also a reunion between you and your former co-stars. How long had it been since you all last saw each other?
Bern Nadette and I have seen each other recently. She tours the country with her husband, who is quite an accomplished businessman, where she meets with numerous military personnel with her now three books. She’s become a wonderful author. And I work with her and her husband doing the same thing for the military, which is important to me being an ex-military man myself.

Fans are in for another treat from you in 2020 when you reprise your role win Coming to America 2. What has Cleo McDowell been up to after all these years?
It’s been so exciting to be back working with Eddie Murphy again. Working with him as an actor has been a supreme joy. He’s a consummate artist, transitioning from one character to another with such flawless ease. He’s a study in how to act and how to be a successful comic.

Being reunited with Eddie, Arsenio [Hall], and James Earl Jones was such a privilege.

With so many of your wishes already having come true, what did you wish for when you blew our your candles?
I wished that everyone watching the episode last night really enjoyed it, as well as all the other work that I’ve done throughout my career. I wish that all the love and happiness we felt doing that episode was shared with those at home. I wish everyone a peaceful and happy New Year. Right now, we really need love and respect for each other now more than we ever have in this country’s history.

When I started in this industry, I was a writer. I feel that I’ve finally come full circle now that I’ve written my children’s book called A World Without Color. I have no plans to retire, but I’ll be pulling back a little bit just to enjoy my children and my grandchildren, and to enjoy life. I’m living in Colorado in a very low profile fashion. But I am involved and have access to the local theatrical groups that have some fine young actors of all ages in it from my local area.

So I will continue to work until I can’t work anymore. Norman is still working well into his nineties. He makes me feel like I’m just getting started.
This was most surprising that Amos reunited with Norman. Good to see they put the past behind them. Norman obviously felt bad about how shit went down back in the day and should have fixed that shit.

1AhGJR.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This was most surprising that Amos reunited with Norman. Good to see they put the past behind them. Norman obviously felt bad about how shit went down back in the day and should have fixed that shit.

1AhGJR.jpg

Yeah to me the hug at the end between them was the best part

Its weird though...

Its like the novelty of this already wore off.

And they getting TOP TALENT but its coming off very sketch comedy regular instead of stage play which i believe they going for

Or should at least aspire too.