The Senate is now in Democratic hands.....let's see what the hell they're gonna do? Senate Watch Thread

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
If Fetterman has to wear those hoodies, then fine.
Make them dark black or something like that.
But you have to draw the line with the shorts and gym shoes.
I disagree with the Schumer move.
Should be some conditions for ALL Senators. i dunno.

What kind of mental condition that you have.
When you HAVE to wear, shorts and gym shoes..
I mean let him have the hoodie, but its' too much.

fetterman.jpg
Politics in this country is a joke. :lol: 90 percent of the people who talk politics would not be able to form an opinion on this without knowing which party was for the hoodies and gym shorts. :smh: Only after they find out WHO is when they can come with their talking points that are for or against the activity.

Personally, I don't care what these snakes where. Most those old cacs on some ganster shit and should be in jogging suits like old italian mobsters.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
If Fetterman has to wear those hoodies, then fine.
Make them dark black or something like that.
But you have to draw the line with the shorts and gym shoes.
I disagree with the Schumer move.
Should be some conditions for ALL Senators. i dunno.

What kind of mental condition that you have.
When you HAVE to wear shorts and gym shoes.
I mean let him have the hoodie, but its' too much.

fetterman.jpg
This is fucking ridiculous. If this ain't the most white privilege bullshit and affront to Black voters ever :smh:

We have Black kids fighting suspensions in schools over hair, yet Democrats are fighting for the rights of an obviously mentally unfit man to represent a state in a fucking hoodie and running shoes. Straight dumb shit.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is fucking ridiculous. If this ain't the most white privilege bullshit and affront to Black voters ever :smh:

We have Black kids fighting suspensions in schools over hair, yet Democrats are fighting for the rights of an obviously mentally unfit man to represent a state in a fucking hoodie and running shoes. Straight dumb shit.
The shit with hair is mostly, if not all red states. You're barking up the wrong tree. If you want this pass, you will need that crazy mf and few more.

Senate Republicans block CROWN legislation again. But advocates aren’t deterred.​

Jayla Whitfield-Anderson
Jayla Whitfield-AndersonNational Reporter
December 21, 2022, 3:08 pm
A woman with dreadlocks

A woman with dreadlocks, a hairstyle that would be protected under the CROWN Act. (Getty Images)
For the second time, Senate Republicans blocked a bill that would ban race-based discrimination of hair, specifically natural, textured hair and protective hairstyles typically worn by African Americans.
The Creating a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair (CROWN) Act aims to protect individuals from unjust treatment in the workplace, in hiring processes and in schools because of their hair. The legislation failed to get enough support from Senate Republicans to override a filibuster from Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.

“When the CROWN Act was first introduced during the 116th Congress [in 2020], it passed the House by voice vote without objection,” Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, D-N.J., who sponsored the legislation in the House, said in a news release earlier this month. “When I reintroduced it last year, it passed the House once again, despite the Republican efforts to delay it. In both instances, Republican Senators stood in the way of the bill’s passage.”
In a recent study, Michigan State University found that Black women suffer the most hair discrimination, and are more likely to be sent home from work because of their hair.
“It's a license to discriminate, specifically against black people,” Amanda Jackson, the campaign director of Color of Change, an organization that advocates for racial equality, told Yahoo News.

Research from Duke University shows that Black women with natural hairstyles like braids, locs and afros are considered less professional than Black women with straight hair.
In an effort to decrease bias and discrimination, Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., brought the CROWN Act to the Senate earlier this month, where it was rejected by Paul. While the measure has passed in the House twice, it has been blocked in the Senate each time.
Sen. Rand Paul

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., an opponent of the CROWN Act. (Mariam Zuhaib/AP)
“We will not be deterred by Rand Paul or anyone else. And we’re going to continue fighting and working,” said Marc Morial, the president of the National Urban League and a founding member of the Crown coalition, which consists of several organizations that advocate for CROWN laws. “It’s disappointing that these legislators, at the federal level, don’t have the sensitivity, or the foresight to really recognize that how one wears their hair is a freedom of expression issue,” he told Yahoo News.

Despite the setback, advocates and Senate Democrats are still pushing for the bill to become law. Following the blockade 30 members of the Congressional Black Caucus sent a letter to Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell calling for the Crown Act to be included in the end of year funding legislation.
“So far, we see that it hasn't been included. So it becomes a fight that we have to carry on in the next Congress [and] in the next Congress,” Coleman told Yahoo News.
Advocates say this is a civil rights issue as studies show that 80% of Black women are more likely to change their hair to meet standards often set by employers and schools.
“It's a freedom of expression issue but it’s [also] a right to control your body issue,” Morial said. “And it is a civil rights issue because traditional or natural hairstyles are treated differently.”
Recently, former first lady Michelle Obama expressed that she didn’t feel comfortable wearing her hair in protective styles during her time in the White House.
Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama on a recent book tour. (Jose Luis Magana/AP)
“As black women we deal with it, the whole thing about do you show up with your natural hair? ... As first lady, I did not wear braids. Being the first — yeah, we had to ease up on the people. ... I was like, it would be easier. Nope, nope. They’re not ready,” Michelle Obama said during an interview during her book tour this month in Washington, D.C.
But some legislators are against the measure. According to Sen. Rand Paul, using hairstyles as a form of racial discrimination is already illegal, therefore the CROWN Act is not necessary.
Yahoo News contacted Paul for comment, and a spokesperson pointed to his remarks on the floor. During the reading of the legislation on Dec. 14. Paul stated, “The Supreme Court found in the 1973 case, McDonnell Douglas Corp. v. Green, that using a pretextual reason as a cover for discrimination is a violation of federal civil rights law and subsequently, the protections sought by this bill are already provided for in federal law.”
But advocates for CROWN legislation have argued that existing laws don’t sufficiently address discrimination based on hair.
Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., who spoke in support of the CROWN Act on the House floor earlier this year, said Senate Republicans’ block of the measure was wrong but it was not surprising.
“Black hair is beautiful, and no amount of racism or ignorance from the other side of the aisle will stop the power of our movement. I won’t stop pressing to ban race-based hair discrimination and I urge the Senate to use any legislative avenue to pass this critical bill and send it to President Biden’s desk,” Pressley said in a statement.
Rep. Ayanna Pressley

Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass. (Andrew Harnik/Pool via AP)
As lawmakers seek to pass a federal measure, 19 states have passed similar legislation that prohibits race-based hair discrimination.
“We’ve had great progress since we began in California. This is what is important. The fact that we've had significant progress state by state, because state by state has proven to be more fruitful than passing national legislation,” Morial said.
Coleman says it’s a shame that race-based hair discrimination is still an issue in 2022 and she believes it will remain an issue in the new year.
‘The way you wear your hair says nothing about your ability to compete in a wrestling match, take a job, go to school, get an education, or be an educator,” Coleman said.

View more on Yahoo

https://www.yahoo.com/

Update privacy choices

© Yahoo. All rights reserved.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor

BREAKING: Senator John Fetterman chokes up while giving a powerfully moving speech about the struggles that people with disabilities face during a hearing of the Senate Special Committee on Aging.

During the most striking moment in his speech, Fetterman held up his phone to show everyone in the room the specialized transcription app that aids him in conversations and interactions after he suffered a stroke last year that damaged his ability to efficiently process language.

"Because I live in a political environment, I was ridiculed and made fun of," said Fetterman, growing visibly emotional.

"I’m so sorry that I’m sure many of you had to go through this kind of thing," he went on. "I was lucky enough to go through my life, the vast majority of that, without this kind of disability that I have."

"I admire everyone that has to kind of live with these kind of struggles, and prevail over them," he added.

Fetterman asked how the Senate can "become more empathetic, more responsive and more effective senators, to provide the kind of support and services" that disabled Americans “deserve.”

Speaking so earnestly about his own stroke takes real courage. Republicans were absolutely heartless about his health scare, trotting out cruel mockeries and smears in an effort to hurt him politically. Fetterman is a hero.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
They want to replace a Old Bag with another Old Bag.

Newsom needs to find someone under the age of 50.

Progressives are pressing California Gov. Gavin Newsom to reverse his earlier vow to tap a Senate caretaker and instead appoint Barbara Lee to succeed Dianne Feinstein​

65185f1d5640b20019d792a3

Gov. Gavin Newsom of California, left, and Rep. Barbara Lee of California.​

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
They want to replace a Old Bag with another Old Bag.

Newsom needs to find someone under the age of 50.

Progressives are pressing California Gov. Gavin Newsom to reverse his earlier vow to tap a Senate caretaker and instead appoint Barbara Lee to succeed Dianne Feinstein​

65185f1d5640b20019d792a3

Gov. Gavin Newsom of California, left, and Rep. Barbara Lee of California.​

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member

BREAKING: Senator John Fetterman chokes up while giving a powerfully moving speech about the struggles that people with disabilities face during a hearing of the Senate Special Committee on Aging.

During the most striking moment in his speech, Fetterman held up his phone to show everyone in the room the specialized transcription app that aids him in conversations and interactions after he suffered a stroke last year that damaged his ability to efficiently process language.

"Because I live in a political environment, I was ridiculed and made fun of," said Fetterman, growing visibly emotional.

"I’m so sorry that I’m sure many of you had to go through this kind of thing," he went on. "I was lucky enough to go through my life, the vast majority of that, without this kind of disability that I have."

"I admire everyone that has to kind of live with these kind of struggles, and prevail over them," he added.

Fetterman asked how the Senate can "become more empathetic, more responsive and more effective senators, to provide the kind of support and services" that disabled Americans “deserve.”

Speaking so earnestly about his own stroke takes real courage. Republicans were absolutely heartless about his health scare, trotting out cruel mockeries and smears in an effort to hurt him politically. Fetterman is a hero.

He should not be in the fucking Senate. Take your ass home and heal up.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Democrats doing dumb shit. Token ass candidate doesn't even live in the State. They have to rush to re-register her as a voter, and somehow she is the damn Senator.

WTF. This is some Republican in Montana shit. Democrat can't say shit about illegitimate, unqualified candidates ever again :angry:

Who are all these gay Black people that are cool with this shit? As least she is a Black on Black lesbian couple, with an adopted Black child. I am trying to find the silver lining somewhere:smh:

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
God damn do they even teach civics in school anymore?

Other than the obvious agent provocateurs, cats in here don't know the first thing about how the three branches of government work.

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is there a thread like this for the House?

The Catcher In The Rye

Rye-sing Star
Registered
Since these crackas in Alabama are forced to create another black district for the US house, the dems may regain power in the house next year. One of the best kept secrets.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Kyrsten Sinema said she doesn't care if she loses reelection because she 'saved the Senate by myself' and can go serve 'on any board I want to,' book says

Sinema told Romney that she saved the filibuster and the Senate and that's "good enough for me."

Bryan Metzger and Brent D. Griffiths
Oct 24, 2023

6537f0d8356802a56be24e72

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona on Capitol Hill on July 19, 2023.

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kyrsten Sinema said she doesn't care if she loses reelection because she 'saved the Senate by myself' and can go serve 'on any board I want to,' book says

Sinema told Romney that she saved the filibuster and the Senate and that's "good enough for me."

Bryan Metzger and Brent D. Griffiths
Oct 24, 2023

6537f0d8356802a56be24e72

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona on Capitol Hill on July 19, 2023.
She hustled everyone

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

"To date, Alaska and Maine have adopted RCV for all federal elections, while states like Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina have embraced RCV to allow overseas and military voters to participate in runoff elections. Local governments in California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Tennessee ,and Utah have also adopted some form of RCV for municipal elections."

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Perfect example on why Democrats need to get their heads out of their Ass and put young, strong Justices on these Federal Benches.

She hasn’t been on the bench for 20 years and they talking about kicking her to the curb.

Uncle Clarence been on the bench since 1991 and still kicking strong. Nobody talking about making him retire.

Top Democrats won't join calls for Justice Sotomayor to retire, but they still fear a Ruth Bader Ginsburg repeat

As more liberals urge Sonia Sotomayor to step down this year to ensure that Biden can pick her successor, some Senate Democrats are voicing fears of a 7-2 conservative majority.

By Sahil Kapur and Lawrence Hurley
April 3, 2024

240401-sonia-sotomayor-se-317p-f5c6df.jpg

Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, Sonia Sotomayor