The Rogue Tesla Mechanic Resurrecting Salvaged Cars

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
So, I only got halfway through but I’m intrigued about the concept. It looks like only Massachusetts will allow you to do this. Also, he’s not exactly a broke muhfuhkah.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
iu

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So, I only got halfway through but I’m intrigued about the concept. It looks like only Massachusetts will allow you to do this. Also, he’s not exactly a broke muhfuhkah.

No joke dude has his own garage/shop.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
That's what I thought would happen, it's why I posted Fire Marshall Bill above. This is why Tesla don't want peeps messing with this stuff like a regular car. Pretty dangerous dealing with salvaged batteries. If he's not buying new ones, along with dealing with the factor of oxidization of connections, think it's a recipe for disaster. Hey, but what do I know...

Mike In Bmore

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's what I thought would happen, it's why I posted Fire Marshall Bill above. This is why Tesla don't want peeps messing with this stuff like a regular car. Pretty dangerous dealing with salvaged batteries. If he's not buying new ones, along with dealing with the factor of oxidization of connections, think it's a recipe for disaster. Hey, but what do I know...
You probably didn't watch the video. His car didn't burn up. He was click baiting.

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
Shit I did that wth my Rover lol

I don’t get why he uses uhall, just buy a trailer

Reactions: BDR

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
Shit I did that wth my Rover lol

I don’t get why he uses uhall, just buy a trailer

Because you have to insure the trailer and they are easily stolen.. plus if it’s not a need then it’s better to rent..

Dude doing this as a hobby

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
Because you have to insure the trailer and they are easily stolen.. plus if it’s not a need then it’s better to rent..

My insurance covers trailers I tow

Plus my shit ain’t gettin stolen.

Reactions: BDR

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Saw this yesterday morning before work. He is definitely right about this being the future.

Imagine if he was able to get $10 million worth of venture capital. He could use this money to build a bigger shop, buy more salvage Teslas, and hire staff to do the grunt work like separating usable clips from burnt-out sun visors. that economy of scale would lower the price of a Tesla so that anybody could buy one. He could even hire his own support staff to help people fix and maintain their vehicles outside of the Tesla system.

Africanama

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
The whole argument is stupid. If Tesla wants to, they can make an academy to train authorized 3rd party Tesla mechanics to repair their cars. If you can have 3rd party mechanics for planes and trains, why Tesla is so special?

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
The whole argument is stupid. If Tesla wants to, they can make an academy to train authorized 3rd party Tesla mechanics to repair their cars. If you can have 3rd party mechanics for planes and trains, why Tesla is so special?
My assumption is the difference is you're dealing with batteries, similar to some forklifts that are battery charged. Forklifts differ that they are not driven and registered on a federally regulated roadway. Tesla's issue, I'd again "assume" is their legal liability. So why would they give their blessings to a shady tree mechanic, as opposed to you bringing it back to their shop for repair and proper testing of cells and circuitry.

I grew up as a teen doing mechanics in my dad's shop, rebuilt engines, transmissions and such. But I'd just think it's not as simple as changing out parts when you're dealing with a salvaged power plant as these batteries. But I could be wrong. Not my area of expertise. I've seen regular car batteries explode, so I have my reservations on something that's been sitting after a crash or what have you.

Famous1

Rising Star
Platinum Member

My assumption is the difference is you're dealing with batteries, similar to some forklifts that are battery charged. Forklifts differ that they are not driven and registered on a federally regulated roadway. Tesla's issue, I'd again "assume" is their legal liability. So why would they give their blessings to a shady tree mechanic, as opposed to you bringing it back to their shop for repair and proper testing of cells and circuitry.

I grew up as a teen doing mechanics in my dad's shop, rebuilt engines, transmissions and such. But I'd just think it's not as simple as changing out parts when you're dealing with a salvaged power plant as these batteries. But I could be wrong. Not my area of expertise. I've seen regular car batteries explode, so I have my reservations on something that's been sitting after a crash or what have you.
My mans... you going too deep. Tesla doesn't want to sell the man plastic lug nut covers...but he can gladly take the car into an authorized Tesla service center that will replace the plastic caps for him.

papi68

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I drive more than 34,000 miles per year in my Tesla and pay about $750 per year in maintenance. Less than that in electricity. I appreciate and applaud what this brother is doing but maintenance is not expensive.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
My mans... you going too deep. Tesla doesn't want to sell the man plastic lug nut covers...but he can gladly take the car into an authorized Tesla service center that will replace the plastic caps for him.
I was just speaking on the topic of rebuilding the car as in the OP, not about the other post with the lug nuts, yeah that part about them is dumb.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I drive more than 34,000 miles per year in my Tesla and pay about $750 per year in maintenance. Less than that in electricity. I appreciate and applaud what this brother is doing but maintenance is not expensive.

His main thing is being able to get parts for totaled cars or even parts for Tesla. They don't make it easy for people rebuild these cars once they have been damaged.

Mike In Bmore

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, I think it's easy to overlook or forget that the bigger picture is about the right to repair what you own. And what do you really "own" if Tesla won't allow you to work on your own shit? Don't forget dudes name. He's going to be a pivotal player in how consumer's rights are treated in the future.

papi68

Rising Star
Platinum Member
His main thing is being able to get parts for totaled cars or even parts for Tesla. They don't make it easy for people rebuild these cars once they have been damaged.
I love what this brother is doing. My brain doesn't work like his. Tesla does not make it easy. But, he does a lot of stupid things.

1. Plugging his car into a household charger. At home my car charges at 30 miles per hour not 3. At a supercharger, I've charged at speeds up to 500 miles per hour but just north of 325 miles per hour is the norm.

2. Then he wants to complain about the heat. Charge your car at faster speeds and you won't worry about heat.

3. He doesn't have dual motors; therefore, his car acts like a typical ICE car. I love having all wheel drive and a leveling system.

In my humble opinion, he's driving a Tesla, but he's not driving a Tesla.

For $20,000 he has a fantastic, beautiful Tesla.