The Ringer criticized for lack of diversity, Bill Simmons responds: "It’s a business. This isn’t Open Mic Night."

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Sports Media Giant Bill Simmons Finds Himself Playing Defense
A podcast episode on the recent protests increased staff complaints concerning the lack of diversity at his digital outlet, The Ringer.
By Noam Scheiber
June 22, 2020

Since leaving ESPN in 2015, the sports media pioneer Bill Simmons has notched a series of wins: He started The Ringer, a digital media company with a popular website and a network of about 30 podcasts, and sold it to Spotify this year for nearly $200 million.

But earlier this month, an episode of The Bill Simmons Podcast, one of The Ringer’s most popular shows, provoked a backlash from staff members.

The June 1 episode, titled “A Truly Sad Week in America,” was recorded as protests against racism and police violence were growing worldwide. Mr. Simmons talked about the movement with a frequent guest, the Ringer podcaster Ryen Russillo.

After Mr. Russillo, who is white, spoke of what he described as “looters” who were “breaking into sneaker shops,” he complimented Mr. Simmons on his hiring practices, praising his boss for “the jobs and the opportunities that you’ve given a diverse group.”

Mr. Simmons and Mr. Russillo apologized for the episode after it set off a social-media backlash and was described as “preposterous” in The New York Daily News. Ringer employees criticized it, too, singling out the part of the conversation that touched on staffing issues at the company.

The Ringer Union, which is affiliated with the Writers Guild of America, East and represents about 65 employees, noted in a June 1 Twitter post that the outlet had no black editors or staff writers covering the National Basketball Association or the National Football League. It also said that more than 85 percent of the speakers on Ringer podcasts last year were white.

Mr. Simmons said in an email to The New York Times that The Ringer “fell short” on diversity. He added that he expects to make personnel announcements soon that will show that the company is making progress on the issue.

At an all-hands meeting a few days after the podcast episode, Mr. Simmons told the staff he was going to make mistakes, but that he tried to learn from them.
Staff members raised concerns about the comments made by Mr. Russillo on the podcast, according to three people who attended the meeting who were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

A writer said during the meeting that not having a black editor involved in The Ringer’s N.F.L. coverage had put it in a bad position, the people said. Race has been front-and-center in coverage of the league since at least 2016, when the quarterback Colin Kaepernick started kneeling during the national anthem in protest of police brutality toward black people.

Mr. Simmons, 50, started writing columns for ESPN nearly 20 years ago. He was an early podcaster, hosting his own ESPN.com show as early as 2007, and he helped create the network’s “30 for 30” sports documentary series. He also started the ESPN sports and pop culture website Grantland. A dispute with the network’s leadership led to his departure in 2015.

He started The Ringer with an all-white team of founding editors. Some current and former employees said that he had consistently sought to hire black writers. “I was one of the people Bill gave a chance to,” said K. Austin Collins, a black film critic who left The Ringer for Vanity Fair in 2018. “I was grateful for that chance.”

Mr. Collins added that the lack of diversity at the company had played a role in his departure. “I’ve been expressing sadness over this,” he said, alluding to the ongoing problem. “I feel let down.”

The Ringer has six black editorial staff members out of about 90 employees, according to the union. Three of them are writers. A fourth black writer has been hired to cover the N.F.L. starting in July. Between 2017 and 2019, at least five black editorial staff members left the company. (A Ringer spokesman said that there are two additional black employees, but they are not part of the union’s tally because they are paid interns, not permanent staffers.)

Mr. Simmons said by email that it had been difficult to hire and retain staff members early on, because The Ringer was a start-up competing against deeper-pocketed competitors. He also blamed “bloggers and media critics who seemed pretty determined to prove that we weren’t financially viable.” He added that being a part of Spotify, the audiostreaming giant that became a public company in 2018, would make recruitment easier.

Four former black employees, three of whom spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of antagonizing Mr. Simmons, said they often felt uncomfortable at The Ringer. A few of them said that they were sometimes heaped with racist abuse on social media and in online comments when they covered topics that might not have fit the expectations of the typical Ringer reader, including a post on Beyoncé. Top editors did little to defend them on social media when they were under attack, they said.

The spokesman said that The Ringer has been working to manage writers more thoughtfully and to limit abusive comments from readers.

Above all, the four former employees said, it was difficult for black staff members to win more responsibility and visibility at the company — especially since late 2017, when company leaders appeared to make podcasting a priority. At that point, they said, top editors started claiming shows for themselves.

The outlet’s popular Rewatchables podcast, in which staff members revisit old movies, led by Mr. Simmons, allowed for a variety of guests when it started. By the spring of 2018, the ensemble approach faded as the show came to rely more on Mr. Simmons along with Sean Fennessey and Chris Ryan, both founding editors who are white.

“The Rewatchables was pitched as, ‘Let’s get the rest of you participating in podcasts,’” Mr. Collins said. “It very quickly became Sean, Bill and Chris.”

Mr. Simmons said by email that the company needed to spotlight its best podcasters. “It’s a business,” he said. “This isn’t Open Mic Night.” The spokesman said the company was creating new opportunities for young staffers.

Some staff members said they were taken aback when a white editor was chosen as the sole anchor for a podcast on “Atlanta,” the FX series centered on a rapper and his cousin, played by Donald Glover.

Mr. Simmons said in the email interview that the editor got the show because she had conceived it and had podcasting experience. “We don’t want to put people in a position to fail,” he said. Black employees have appeared as commentators on every episode of that show and have hosted podcasts of their own.

The Ringer union has proposed that half the candidates for open positions come from underrepresented groups, like black people and those who identify as LGBTQ. The two sides are scheduled to discuss the issue again at a bargaining session this week.

In recent months, Mr. Simmons has brought in black podcast hosts, including Van Lathan, formerly of TMZ; Jemele Hill, the former ESPN commentator and anchor; and Rachel Lindsay, the first African-American star of ABC’s “The Bachelorette.” Like some other black Ringer podcast hosts, such as the comedian and writer Larry Wilmore, Mr. Lathan, Ms. Hill and Ms. Lindsay are not company employees.

Ms. Hill said she got to know Mr. Simmons when they were both at ESPN. “He certainly always struck me as somebody who has a positive sensitivity to these issues,” she said.

But she said she was skeptical of how much progress The Ringer, like other media organizations, would make without black people in positions of power.

“Black talent is very important,” Ms. Hill said. “But who is the black person that is a real decision maker? That’s what I need to know.”

Last edited:

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
The Ringer Union, which is affiliated with the Writers Guild of America, East and represents about 65 employees, noted in a June 1 Twitter post that the outlet had no black editors or staff writers covering the National Basketball Association or the National Football League. It also said that more than 85 percent of the speakers on Ringer podcasts last year were white.

No black editors or staff writers covering the NBA or NFL is fucking astounding. How do white people go to work at places like that and not feel like klansmen?

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
The Ringer union has proposed that half the candidates for open positions come from underrepresented groups, like black people and those who identify as LGBTQ. The two sides are scheduled to discuss the issue again at a bargaining session this week.

LGBTQ representation is important but it isn't fair to treat Barron Trump as oppressed or underrepresented if he grows up to like boys.

We should be allies but the struggles and gains should not be conflated or confused.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
LGBTQ representation is important but it isn't fair to treat Barron Trump as oppressed or underrepresented if he grows up to like boys.

We should be allies but the struggles and gains should not be conflated or confused.
With gays wedging themselves into distinctly black struggles and centuries long fights for equality, this new movement has all the makings to become the same failure that was affirmative action legislation and corrective measures from the 80's. White women reaped all the gains and benefits at our expense. The LGBR2D2CP3PO crew is about to have the same coup at our expense. And its gonna be cac fags... And the deluded black gays will finally wake the fuck up and realize what the real struggle is about and against.,,, But by then it'll be too late.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
With gays wedging themselves into distinctly black struggles and centuries long fights for equality, this new movement has all the makings to become the same failure that was affirmative action legislation and corrective measures from the 80's. White women reaped all the gains and benefits at our expense. The LGBR2D2CP3PO crew is about to have the same coup at our expense. And its gonna be cac fags... And the deluded black gays will finally wake the fuck up and realize what the real struggle is about and against.,,, But by then it'll be too late.

It's fine to criticize "the deluded black gays" if they let LGBT issues get in the way of black solidarity and advancement.

But we must also condemn the deluded black anti-gays who make the gay people feel like outsiders, because that's division, not solidarity.

I agree about the strong possibility of white LGBT people benefiting the most as white women did with affirmative action. All black people should have a role in guarding against that, gay or straight. That starts with respect and camaraderie.

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They've showed you that they don't like us and don't want to work with us.

They just want to make millions covering us.

EVLVa78U4AIZI3I

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
brotha - it is even worse in corporate America.

these whites are championing diversity and inclusion under the guise of promoting white women and Asians (especially Indians in IT) and LGBT club members.

no so-called blacks in leadership though unless it is HR or operations.

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This same attack now on Simmons is why I have become less critical of Jason Whitlock over the years. Yes, he says shit out of ignorance but he is the ONLY so-called black man that had a show on a major network that hired damn near all so-called black male panelists.

not even the so-called blacks that people would never call a coon had enough courage to do that.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
i meant to post this

What this issue demonstrated is that even progressive, open-minded allies have blind-spots

I listened to that controversial podcast. When it was all said and done it was 2 white dudes talking about current race issues. You had 2 white dudes patting themselves on the back for being progressive & diversity hiring

But if you look at their writing talent and podcasts there are very few black ppl or ppl of color (credit to them they do have alot of women for a sports site - but alot of em are in the pop culture realm)

its the same shit in the NFL & the hiring of coaches/gms. Ppl in power hire ppl they know and are comfortable with. More often than not those ppl look like them and come from similar backgrounds. Bill grew up in Boston and went to Holly Cross. All his college friends are white guys. Most of his friends are white guys outside of his black celeb friends. Most of the staff he brought with him from Grantland are white guys. Most of the writers & podcast personalities are white guys. He loves basketball, hip-hop, sports and black entertainment. He and most of his staff are supposed to be the 'good ones' but when it comes to hiring practices they go with what and who they know.

They have had a few contributors like Welsey Morris, Rembert Brown and Micah Peters but they were few and far apart
They've recently expanded their contributors with Van Lathan, Jemmele Hill, Linsday from the Bachelor, Larry Wilmore, Vince Carter & Bakari Sellers but look at who they hired. Well established ppl of color with almost impeccable resumes.

Meanwhile it seems like every editor or staff writer gets a shot at a podcast
An intern or his nephew or or his daughter or his best friend gets a chance to get on air and develop a brand. Its crazy that i dont think they've ever hired a black writer to cover the nfl or nba.

Another example on how shit is much tougher for black ppl even at a 'good place'

Last edited:

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster

interesting cause he worked as a contributor on the wrestling podcast
he left bleacher to work for the WWE and quit another wrestling podcast recently

it would be interesting if the Ringer tried to get the The Corner guys to cover combat sports & do their podcast. But Andres is all in with the Zone & Sporting News & Kel just started working for ESPN. Their podcast was picked up by Blue Wire (whatever the fuck that is)

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Does every Ringer podcast start with a black voice now? :rolleyes:

That's how it has been on The Press Box for the last couple episodes, at least. That podcast (@Helico-pterFunk, I know you're a fan), which is the Ringer's show about media-- sports media in particular, they mentioned they were getting questions/taunts about not addressing it and said "We hear you." That's the last I heard from them.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
Yep, knew it...

White folks are more accepting of gay black men. They are less of a threat to white supremacy. It is not a coincidence that the one black person they found to have a positive experience is a gay black man.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Does every Ringer podcast start with a black voice now? :rolleyes:

That's how it has been on The Press Box for the last couple episodes, at least. That podcast (@Helico-pterFunk, I know you're a fan), which is the Ringer's show about media-- sports media in particular, they mentioned they were getting questions/taunts about not addressing it and said "We hear you." That's the last I heard from them.

I'm not sure. I've been hearing the promotional spots for Bakari Sellers' new show. Seems like the Press Box has done a pretty good job with their coverage in recent months. I need to check out the 2 shows Van Lathan co-hosts. Need to get caught up on some of the Big Picture and The Watch episodes also.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
i meant to post this

What this issue demonstrated is that even progressive, open-minded allies have blind-spots

I listened to that controversial podcast. When it was all said and done it was 2 white dudes talking about current race issues. You had 2 white dudes patting themselves on the back for being progressive & diversity hiring

But if you look at their writing talent and podcasts there are very few black ppl or ppl of color (credit to them they do have alot of women for a sports site - but alot of em are in the pop culture realm)

its the same shit in the NFL & the hiring of coaches/gms. Ppl in power hire ppl they know and are comfortable with. More often than not those ppl look like them and come from similar backgrounds. Bill grew up in Boston and went to Holly Cross. All his college friends are white guys. Most of his friends are white guys outside of his black celeb friends. Most of the staff he brought with him from Grantland are white guys. Most of the writers & podcast personalities are white guys. He loves basketball, hip-hop, sports and black entertainment. He and most of his staff are supposed to be the 'good ones' but when it comes to hiring practices they go with what and who they know.

They have had a few contributors like Welsey Morris, Rembert Brown and Micah Peters but they were few and far apart
They've recently expanded their contributors with Van Lathan, Jemmele Hill, Linsday from the Bachelor, Larry Wilmore, Vince Carter & Bakari Sellers but look at who they hired. Well established ppl of color with almost impeccable resumes.

Meanwhile it seems like every editor or staff writer gets a shot at a podcast
An intern or his nephew or or his daughter or his best friend gets a chance to get on air and develop a brand. Its crazy that i dont think they've ever hired a black writer to cover the nfl or nba.

Another example on how shit is much tougher for black ppl even at a 'good place'
Lol @ blind spots.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
If you ever met a white person you would know they don’t have a “blind spot.” Their actions have the exact intent they were looking for.

I live & work around alot white ppl
There are alot of em out there who consider themselves 'allies' or 'liberal' or 'woke' but dont realize they are guilty of perpetuating & benefiting from systemic racism. I've had to speak to alot following the Floyd murder and protests afterwards and I am shocked by how many of em didnt realize racism was still a thing.

In the case of the Ringer I cant judge their intent but i can judge results. They thought they were progressive but in actuality were far from it.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
If you ever met a white person you would know they don’t have a “blind spot.” Their actions have the exact intent they were looking for.
I live & work around alot white ppl
There are alot of em out there who consider themselves 'allies' or 'liberal' or 'woke' but dont realize they are guilty of perpetuating & benefiting from systemic racism. I've had to speak to alot following the Floyd murder and protests afterwards and I am shocked by how many of em didnt realize racism was still a thing.

In the case of the Ringer I cant judge their intent but i can judge results. They thought they were progressive but in actuality were far from it.

Totally agree with the response.

It highlights a significant percentage of the population and the isolationists who make all white people out to be the same are foxes trying to lead to a slaughterhouse, because 15% of the population is not going to gain power while refusing to build coalitions.

People who want to be anti-racist but come up short cannot be grouped in with the MANY white people who are consciously anti-black or the MANY white people who don't give a fuck about black people. There are too many people and structures working against us to shun people who want to be on our side but have shortcomings, much less the few John Browns who are productive and/or committed allies.

conspiracy_brotha

Woke as fuck
BGOL Investor
This same attack now on Simmons is why I have become less critical of Jason Whitlock over the years. Yes, he says shit out of ignorance but he is the ONLY so-called black man that had a show on a major network that hired damn near all so-called black male panelists.

not even the so-called blacks that people would never call a coon had enough courage to do that.
This.... would watch Jason Whitlock and marcellus wiley every afternoon one of the few all black sport debate shows on tv and niggas wanna shit on him. I think some of his baffonery was to keep the conservative CAC’S on fox appeased while giving opportunities for young upcoming black sports writers.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Since leaving ESPN in 2015, the sports media pioneer Bill Simmons has notched a series of wins: He started The Ringer, a digital media company with a popular website and a network of about 30 podcasts, and sold it to Spotify this year for nearly $200 million.

Soon as Stephen A contract was up this should've been the move. He was the only brutha who could've done this......I think Lebron and Mav gonna do it now but man Stephen A fucked up there........

Naw man hell naw. If he did have a hand in hiring black people its because he was told to. Whitlock is a piece of shit. He had his platform and he used it to further his agenda of knocking black athletes.

I don't respect it but I know some of these guys gotta play both sides. Whitlock never wavered. He was always there to let cac's know that they were ok with him and black people were the real problem.

This.... would watch Jason Whitlock and marcellus wiley every afternoon one of the few all black sport debate shows on tv and niggas wanna shit on him. I think some of his baffonery was to keep the conservative CAC’S on fox appeased while giving opportunities for young upcoming black sports writers.

Man I foolishly googled this muthafucka right now just to see what he's doing now. Maybe....maybe it was all a act like you guys are saying.......just for me to see articles titled:

SYSTEMIC EVOLUTION (PATRICK MAHOMES) > SYSTEMIC RACISM (COLIN KAEPERNICK)

Rev. Sharpe-tongue Makes Mistake Of Attacking Tony Dungy

WNBA, NFL Players Show BLM Stands For Bigoted Lynch Mob

FUCK....this..........coon.....

gtg305h

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bill Simmons literally has “open mic night” when he has podcasts talking NBA with college buddies, not that there is anything wrong with that, but don’t act like you have a stream of professional journalists contributing content, he’s full of shit...

and Russillo is a bigot, I look at Cari Champion as a bedwench for fukking with that CAC