The Gangsta Gardener of Los Angeles. Ron Finley Teaches Gardening

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
It's crazy how much prices will vary for produce amongst stores, farmers' markets, etc. Even when stuff is in season ... and some places will carry items at 3 - 4 times as much as their competitors, as has been noted. The key is definitely having a price range you're willing to pay for stuff.

Same for meat, chicken, seafood. Have a general idea for what's on sale, or seriously marked up.

madgoose

International
International Member
It's crazy how much prices will vary for produce amongst stores, farmers' markets, etc. Even when stuff is in season ... and some places will carry items at 3 - 4 times as much as their competitors, as has been noted. The key is definitely having a price range you're willing to pay for stuff.

Same for meat, chicken, seafood. Have a general idea for what's on sale, or seriously marked up.

I have a friend that has an Organic/Free Range Halal meat and poultry business. When I compare the local supermarket, Tesco British Whole Medium Chicken 1.3-1.5Kg costing £3.00 (£2.15/kg) per bird and then their free range product, Tesco Finest British Cornfed Free Range Whole Chicken 1Kg-2.3Kg costing £5.00/kg so a 1.65kg bird is £8.25 and then his is a 1.5kg bird at £13.00 I am amazed that his does the business that he does, BUT when you taste his chicken you know where your money has gone. Not only the flavour but the texture of the meat and the smell of it is superior to any supermarket product every time. He hand selects and slaughters all the animals his self, looking for any problems, defects, injuries and does not slaughter them if they are not fit.

Tesco British Whole Medium Chicken 1.3-1.5Kg - Tesco Groceries
Tesco Finest British Cornfed Free Range Whole Chicken 1Kg-2.3Kg

Buy Free Range Chicken Whole (1.6kg) - Abraham's (abrahamshalalmeat.com)

Just because something looks like the next thing on the shelf/box don't mean it is. You have to know what you are buying and what is a superior product to an inferior product.

Last year in preparing for a food shortage because of the pandemic I grew a lot of vegetables, my mother and I had fresh tomatoes for almost 4 months. When she went back to buying the supermarket tomatoes she was not happy and said that we had been spoiled, to which I replied "No we have been getting conned!"

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Just because something looks like the next thing on the shelf/box don't mean it is. You have to know what you are buying and what is a superior product to an inferior product.

Last year in preparing for a food shortage because of the pandemic I grew a lot of vegetables, my mother and I had fresh tomatoes for almost 4 months. When she went back to buying the supermarket tomatoes she was not happy and said that we had been spoiled, to which I replied "No we have been getting conned!"

Well said - I've bought some halal products in recent years. Quite tasty (chicken and beef).

Totally agree re: homegrown stuff. Flavor is sometimes out of this world. Especially when it's had time to grow, without all the manipulation.

One of my best memories growing up (food-wise) was being at a friend's place one spring or summer. We were out back playing sports, etc. His mom asked us what we wanted for lunch. We were indifferent. She made up BLT sandwiches with some locally grown tomatoes out in the valley about an hour away. Hell ... we had a few of them and the follow-up sandwiches were nearly all tomato. Toast up that bread, throw a bunch of tomato in there, pepper, etc. Excellent.

Way better than the stuff in stores. Like you said - "No we have been getting conned"

:thumbsup: