The Flipper co-star who was sent to live in a Dolphinarium, sexually abused and died abandoned

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered

When she was in her early 20s, Margaret Howe Lovatt lived on the Caribbean Island of St. Thomas, where she had a laboratory to research dolphins. The director of the lab, Gregory Bateson, allowed her to observe dolphin behavior despite her lack of scientific training. At the same lab, she met John C. Lilly, a neuroscientist with the California Institute of Technology. He was building a research laboratory with funding from NASA and the United States Navy with the goal of speaking to extraterrestrial life forms. In order to simulate this situation he built a "Dolphinarium", a dolphin-house flooded with water, on Saint Thomas. There Lilly accommodated three dolphins, two females named Sissy and Pamela and one younger male bottle nose dolphin named Peter. All of them were taken from Marine Studios and had been co-starring in the television show Flipper. In 1964 the "Dolphinarium" was fully functional and as Lilly was often traveling he assigned Howe Lovatt to train the dolphins.

The goal of the "Dolphinarium" experiment was to teach dolphins human language. Over a period of two years, Lilly and Howe Lovatt, both with very different approaches, tried to prove that human language could be mimicked by dolphins. Howe Lovatt reasoned that if she lived with the dolphins and made human-like sounds, similar to how a mother teaches her child to speak, they would have more success. She tried speaking slowly and changing the pitch of her tone to help Peter pronounce the words that she wants him to learn. Howe Lovatt and the pubescent male dolphin Peter spent all their time together in the isolated "Dolphinarium" where Howe Lovatt documented Peter's progress with her twice-daily lessons and encouragement to say the words "Hello Margaret". According to Howe Lovatt, the "m" sound was extremely difficult for Peter to pronounce without making bubbles in the water.

In week five Peter started to exhibit signs of sexual attraction toward Howe Lovatt. Howe Lovatt stated that it was not sexual on her part, but it allowed her to get to know Peter. An article titled "Interspecies Sex: Humans and Dolphins" appeared in the magazine Hustler that overdramatized the situation and reflected badly on their research. Other problems arose surrounding the project. In addition to her animal communication research, Lilly had been funded to research the effects of the drug LSD. He had been testing the effects of the drug on his subject dolphins, with no results. Since neither his communication experiments nor his LSD research was proving fruitful, Lilly's Dolphinarium eventually lost all funding. Due to the lack of funding, they moved to an abandoned bank building in Miami. Since the building lacked sunlight and space, Peter quickly deteriorated and later committed suicide.

Margaret Howe Lovatt stayed on the island and married a photographer who took pictures of their research. They later moved back into the Dolphinarium and converted it into a family home. Together they had three daughters.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
‘I had a sexual relationship with a dolphin’
By Sophia Rosenbaum
New York Post
June 10, 2014

He flipped for her — and died of a broken heart.

Peter the Dolphin was just 6 years old when he fell in love — with a human. The bottlenose dolphin met research assistant Margaret Howe just as the free love movement was emerging in 1965.

Howe was supposed to spend 10 weeks teaching Peter English words, but Peter was more focused on getting to know his teacher in a different way.

As he was “sexually coming of age,” Howe said, Peter turned hot for his teacher, and fell in love. Howe and Peter’s star-crossed love story is the focus of a new BBC documentary, “The Girl Who Talked to Dolphins,” set to air next week, according to the Daily Mail.

Howe and Peter did everything together — eating, sleeping, bathing and playing — as part of a NASA experiment that aimed to teach Peter to speak through his blowhole.

The experiment, which plays out like a real-life version of the famous 1973 film “Day of the Dolphin,” had a unique set-up. Dr. John C. Lilly, the experiment’s leader, flooded a sun-drenched remote location in St. Thomas with seawater 22 inches deep. Howe had a desk suspended from the ceiling and a hanging mattress protected by a shower curtain, which Peter loved to splash water at for attention.

Howe’s lessons started immediately, but Peter quickly proved to be a bad boy. She tried hard to get Peter to greet her in the morning by saying, “Hello Margaret,” but he had trouble with the letter “M.” Instead, Peter had something else to greet her with.

About four weeks into the experiment, Howe wrote in her diary: “Peter has become sexually aroused several times during the week.”

“I find that his desires are hindering our relationship,” she wrote. “He jams himself again and again against my legs, circles around me, is inclined to nibble and is generally so excited he cannot control his attitude around me.”

Peter may not have been the only one smitten, though. “That relationship of having to be together sort of turned into really enjoying being together, and wanting to be together, and missing him when he wasn’t there,” Howe admitted.

“I did have a very close encounter with — I can’t even say ‘a dolphin’ again — Peter.”

In the trailer for the documentary, Howe explains that she would masturbate Peter to keep him focused, otherwise he did not pay attention to her lessons.

“It was just easier to incorporate that and let it happen. It was very precious, it was very gentle. Peter knew I was right there, Peter was right there … again it was sexual on his part, it was not sexual on mine — sensuous perhaps,” she said.

“It would just become part of what was going on, like an itch, just get rid of that, scratch it and we’ll be done and move on.”

After the experiment ended and the lab was closed, Peter was shipped back to Lilly’s lab in Miami and his health quickly deteriorated.

A few weeks later, Peter committed suicide, with veterinarian Andy Williamson ruling his cause of death a broken heart.

“Margaret could rationalize it, but when she left, could Peter?” Williamson said. “Here’s the love of his life gone.”

nellj

Ba Weep Granah Weep ni-ni bong
BGOL Gold Member
Wait. What?
giphy.gif

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That ain't what happens I bet they were making real advancements and they shut that shit down so they could really take the experiment underground

I heard the Russians already found away to communicate with. Beluga whales...

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Get it right he was jacked off consistently... Dolphins even proving human puss y is free

Flipper: if you want this lesson to work, you know what's got to get jerked

Kniccaz round here supa thirsty.... meanwhile dolphins getting fucked for free...cause if I know white bishes..she fucked flippa..brah

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That ain't what happens I bet they were making real advancements and they shut that shit down so they could really take the experiment underground

I heard the Russians already found away to communicate with. Beluga whales...
no bigger picture this experiment was about communicating with extraterrestrial... You not putting up money unless there's some type of necessity for this program...nasa was funding it... So that should explain to you that somehow they felt a need for this to exist aka we got some aliens we trying to communicate with