"Stop telling women to smile" movement

NewyorkRealTalk

Rising Star
OG Investor
"Stop telling women to smile" movement ft slam pics

tumblr_mtfikrmU2k1rhseqwo1_500.jpg

tumblr_msis1hsirl1qzaos7o1_500.jpg

For my latest poster, I sat down with Leilani - a lovely media-making, union-organizing, activist - in her home in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Below is an excerpt from our conversation on her experiences with street harassment. I’ll soon post the final portrait and poster design that came from talking with her.

"You know, I was talking to my roommate. I came home and I was so frustrated. I was like, ‘you know, I feel like sometimes women - specifically women of color in this city - we open the door ready to go to work, or start our day, and I feel like we open the door ready to confront a fucking a war.’ It’s that serious.
And, then people are like, ‘Oh, you’re blowing it out of proportion.’ And the whole defense of ‘Oh, well they didn’t mean it that way.’ But, at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what the perpetrator means or doesn’t mean, it’s about how it affects me as a woman, walking down the street. I don’t care if you had no ill intention. It’s like the whole concept of what makes a person a racist or not. ‘Oh, I didn’t mean it that way.’ No! You don’t get to decide what is sexist and what is not. How it affects me - my heart, my spirit - how it simply affects my day… And people wonder why you walk around with a chip on your shoulder. And it’s like, you walk in my shoes for a few days.”

http://stoptellingwomentosmile.tumblr.com

I'll be honest ... All I really got from this is a bunch of feminists giving headaches.

I know there's guy that harass out there but to say if a guy tells you should smile he's trying to control you and your life and he sees you a form of entertainment?

Sounds like they don't want guys approaching women outside at all by some of the posts.
:hmm:

Any thoughts?

(if this has been discussed before, my fault.)

tumblr_ml95e04pie1rhseqwo4_1280.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I understand the idea behind it, its ramifications and its weight but sometimes it's just what it is, men & women

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All that slutty clothingthey wear STRICTLY for attention from the opposite sex, but u have a problem if I ask you to smile?

Bitch please.

J.E.T.S

Rising Star
Registered
Shit. Leave people alone, hell. You never know how someone day has been before you come along suggesting that they should smile. If I see a woman or anyone frowned up... I stay away from them unless approached.

These no game havin' Casanova ass niggas favorite line is "smile" and try to whitty then say "oh, so I make you laugh. It's good to see you smile". Lame ducks. I could care less whether a woman smile or not... she needs to know JETS mean business. The pussy; it's mine. :yes:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
thought this was a new theme ....like the pretty smile theme.....:D

tumblr_ll7vw7XNNn1qdkecio1_500.jpg

tumblr_l77k9gwKhS1qd8gmuo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mt8zlnu2Gj1ru423qo1_1280.jpg

4c5b19ecd9543.jpg

tumblr_mtgdehdD4m1ru423qo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mt73x6qN7a1ru423qo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mt7ppgrW4Y1ru423qo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mt8zirIIAc1ru423qo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_m48091vQXG1qaahe6o1_1280.jpg

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm tryin to think of some phrase or thing that white people say innocently that annoys black people off...its the same kind of thing.

But for real MOST dudes on here would be annoyed if some stranger said to them to smile out of the blue..

hell let a white person say that shit to you..how would you feel?

NewyorkRealTalk

Rising Star
OG Investor
I'm tryin to think of some phrase or thing that white people say innocently that annoys black people off...its the same kind of thing.

But for real MOST dudes on here would be annoyed if some stranger said to them to smile out of the blue..

If a white woman said that to me it would be absolutely different from a white guy saying that shit..

Bad example.

This about male /female. Not race at all.

killagram

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
All that slutty clothingthey wear STRICTLY for attention from the opposite sex, but u have a problem if I ask you to smile?

Bitch please.

no bro..they wear it for each other! to make each other jealous or the attention..trust me

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If a white woman said that to me it would be absolutely different from a white guy saying that shit..

Bad example.

correct..when you say it to a woman its not a genuine remark its just your backdoor attempt at making a pass at her..and that shit can be annoying..

if it were a truly genuine remark then anyone should be able to say it to anyone else regardless of gender and it be understood as a something innocent.

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

A lot of dudes that do say smile to women have a weird mannerism about it.

But at the end of the day if their mothers better yet their fsthers told them thay men like women who smile....fuck em..

I m not saying shit to them...

fwillia

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Women have said to me in the past, and I didn't get frustrated, but I do see how that could become annoying.

I never got into the "making passes at random women in the street" thing, personally. I wait until a woman makes extended eye contact or flashes me a smile before I try my luck.

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
http://www.theroot.com/buzz/one-mans-pledge-stop-asking-smiles

For the most part when men do this you know they mean no bad intent. But it IS demeaning. It IS dehumanizing. It IS insensitive. It's invasive. I don't smile. And i've been told by a 100,000 people in my life to do so. Just not in me. I don't trust people who smile like that. I think they're either stupid or plotting something.

Knowing someone doesn't mean ill, doesn't stop it from being highly annoying and frustrating. Like i don't have the right -? To have my face anyway i want? Why don't i? Why must i do things for you? Who are you to make this demand of me? Just leave people alone. You also have the weigh the possibility that the person asking you is a psychopath and they'll do something to you. IF You don't do what they say.

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can't win,the same chicks saying "Don't approach me or say anything to me it's sexist" also say "OMG,I need a boyfriend but I don't approach guys I have to wait for them to approach me" and then when they are 35 and single,it's "There's no good men out there".. And Females do wear sexy shit for male attention. nails and weave and shoes is female/female competition,not tank tops and tight jeans and skirts.

Give Me 3ft.

The Supreme Being
Platinum Member
Im a man & feel that way!

That shit is annoying & stupid.

Bitch you smile! Just 'cause im not smiling,

Doesnt mean im in a bad mood. People who smile

All thr time are clowns! I smile when there is something

That produces the urge to. Only goofy mfers walk around with

A smile all day, or feel the need to smile at shit thats not smile worthy!

Shit irritates me to no end! I could imagine a female who is perfectly content,

Having countless random men repeating that lame ass shit several times per day!

fwillia

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Im a man & feel that way!

That shit is annoying & stupid.

Bitch you smile! Just 'cause im not smiling,

Doesnt mean im in a bad mood. People who smile

All thr time are clowns
! I smile when there is something

That produces the urge to. Only goofy mfers walk around with

A smile all day, or feel the need to smile at shit thats not smile worthy
!

Shit irritates me to no end! I could imagine a female who is perfectly content,

Having countless random men repeating that lame ass shit several times per day!

You might just be miserable.

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
You can't win,the same chicks saying "Don't approach me or say anything to me it's sexist" also say "OMG,I need a boyfriend but I don't approach guys I have to wait for them to approach me" and then when they are 35 and single,it's "There's no good men out there".. And Females do wear sexy shit for male attention. nails and weave and shoes is female/female competition,not tank tops and tight jeans and skirts.

No. It's not an either or thing. There's a right and a wrong way to do everything. Why are you guys so dramatic all the time? lol it's like if something is being spoken of you go all the way to the other end of the spectrum.

chilibrick

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
its not "stop telling women to smile" movement, its a "men women aren't attracted to asking women to smile" movement. if he was good looking and he asked her to smile, she would do it in a second. :smh:

rNubb

Rising Star
Registered
I am really thinking like I just logged onto bizarro girl online.

What the fuck is wrong with smiling?

Some young black women have a problem with smiling even at the suggestion of another?

How is it dehumanizing or offensive?

Grumpy ass folks spreading their bah hum bug ass attitude.

Now chicks want to be mean-mugging 24/7?

Soulless, bitter, broken ass young black folks.

NewyorkRealTalk

Rising Star
OG Investor
its not "stop telling women to smile" movement, its a "men women aren't attracted to asking women to smile" movement. if he was good looking and he asked her to smile, she would do it in a second. :smh:

Some young black women have a problem with smiling even at the suggestion of another?

Cosign

K

kwazdog

Plenty of smiley types out here, it's just the miserable ones are also attention whores. I managed to recently find a nice affectionate upbeat sister (offline at that), so they do exist.

fwillia

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I agree with this, but I'm not sure how much it matters. It may, I'm just not sure of it.

You're missing the point.

max-dawg

8 vs 80
OG Investor

Bad example.

man, what's wrong with you? don't you know EVERYTHING on bgol is bout race; the world is in color, but bgol is strictly about blk & white.

Bigmario23

Star
Registered
no 'thank you' for holding doors I think bothers me more or probably at the the same rate as screw face behavior.

common courtesy aint really common :smh: some aint even comfortable when alone unless they head is buried looking at their smart phone anyway haha

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No. It's not an either or thing. There's a right and a wrong way to do everything. Why are you guys so dramatic all the time? lol it's like if something is being spoken of you go all the way to the other end of the spectrum.

No it's just a matter of being in a world full of people. It's already extreme to ask people to not say anything to you when you go outside. You don't have that right. It's something you have to deal with. I under no circumstances would seem sane if I started a movement called "Stop telling niggas, to stop telling you to not smile" :lol: People can say whatever they want man. If your not prepared to deal with it your a fragile,weak individual.

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered
campbellcosgrove_thumb.gif

Another PSA brought to you by a silly bitter bitch on a quest to fuck shit up for all women.:smh:

idris-elba-beanie.jpg

Cause let's be honest, that/those women of the "street harassment movement" have no issues with being "harassed" as much as they have with bring harassed by a cat not Idris Elba or insert the latest "super nigga" crowned by Ebony or Essence.

ORD_AGM-154A_JSOW_Releasing_Cluster-Bombs_lg.gif

Women like to think their looks are smart guided bombs when really they are cluster bombs; they're not going to just hit "ballers" with their looks they're going to hit everybody. If Super Nigga noticed, so did the garbage collector, so did the college student, so did the cat leaving the methadone clinic.

Also, such arrogance! "Don't talk to me/us, don't tell me to smile." HOW ABOUT YOU DON'T INFRINGE ON MY 1ST AMENDMENT RIGHT TO SAY WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT. But you know what, let's leave that one alone...

blackmeninfo.jpg

So how is a man suppose to interact with a woman he's never met if ANY interaction with her can be labeled as harassment ('don't tell me to smile?' REALLY BITCH?) if she see's fit. What if this campaign works and no man talks to any woman unless in a sanctioned 'meeting green zone':rolleyes:? Then what? Women like this clown want so bad to be the director of the courtship process thinking they're Christopher Nolan but they're more like Michael Bay, loud, obnoxious, tons of plot holes which need Jesus like leaps of faith to overcome, and it all blows up in the end.

Funny-Mug-Shots-ugly-woman.jpg

And best for last, there are woman out there who do not get 'harassed' by men at all due to being blessed/cursed by the ugly stick, WOULD ANY OF THESE WOMEN FORFEIT THEIR BEAUTY- ONE OF IF NOT THE ONLY TRUE POWER WOMEN HAVE OVER MEN- TO BE REALLY LEFT ALONE?

Exactly. There's a multi billion dollar makeup/fashion/fitness/plastic surgery industry that would beg to differ.:hmm:

*two cents*

Last edited: